Start by marking “Final Target (Jonathan Grave, #9)” as Want to Read:
Final Target (Jonathan Grave, #9)

Final Target (Jonathan Grave #9)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  721 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Freelance operative Jonathan Grave faces his fiercest challenge yet in bestselling author John Gilstrap s explosive new thriller . . .
The mission: Drop into the Mexican jungle, infiltrate a drug cartel s compound, and extract a kidnapped DEA agent. But when Jonathan Grave and his partner, Boxers, retrieve the hostage and return to the exfil point, all hell breaks loose.
Published June 27th 2017 by Pinnacle Books

To ask other readers questions about Final Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Target

Sean Peters
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Galley, The publishers at the author for an ARC Copy.

My first book by this author, okay I know number 9 in the series. But with a chance on Net Galley to read another action author, I had to have a go.

Skip
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Jonathan "Digger" Grave and his partner Boxers penetrate a Mexican drug cartel's lair to rescue their current PC (precious cargo), DEA agent Harry Dawkins, eliminating the competition and another unknown group of hostiles. Dawkins seems to be persona non grata, possessing information about U.S. support for kingpin of the Jungle Tigers, Alejandro Azul. Abandoned by their U.S. support team, the three Americans head to an orphanage that houses victims of Azul's violence. Digger's heart cannot aband ...more
Alan
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional !Worth waiting for! What a pleasure to read!It had everything including cowboys and Indians, metaphorically speaking.
D.B. Reynolds
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was slower than most of the Jonathan Grave adventures, but Digger and Big Guy are always well worth the read.
Darcia Helle
One of the things I love about John Gilstrap's writing is the realism. He clearly knows his stuff, and he sets it all up in a way that puts us in the midst of the action, so we feel it, hear it, and see it.

The plot here is straightforward. The suspense comes from the mishaps along the way, as the mission becomes more complicated than expected. We edge into conspiracy theory and political entanglement. A variety of narrators gives us breathing room away from the chaos, though I wasn't as enthral
Ms. Just One More Book  (Kris Miller)
A Superbly Crafted Thriller That Will Leave You Craving More!

Alejandro Azul, the leader of a drug cartel, innovates unthinkable ways to torture and execute those who cross him and Jonathan and Boxers have just become his next targets. During a conventional hostage extraction of a DEA agent in the Mexican jungle, things go south. Someone from their own team sabotages Jonathan and Boxers, causing them to seek refuge in a nearby orphanage in an attempt to protect their precious cargo, the DEA agent
Viva
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Adventure action novel of a couple of private security guys/mercs dropped off in Mexico to recover an American who's been captured by a drug gang.

Spoilers below:
The writing is easy to read and follow and I got into the story right away. The plot is that the mission goes wrong, a extraction team has to be sent in and the home team has to figure out what went wrong.

The big problem for me was the way the book split into the different narratives: the initial rescue team, the extraction team and the
Jess
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I pre-ordered this novel, because I've enjoyed the entire Jonathan Grave series. I downloaded Final Target two days ago, and now it's done. I know some people go through a book in a day or two, but that's not usually me. But Final Target had me staying up too late so I could see what happened next.

There are plenty of authors working in this genre, where the protagonist is someone (in this case, two someones) with extraordinary skills they put to work in the extra-judicial delivery of justice. F
Clwseattle
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Final Target is the first of the Jonathan Graves novels that has left a dangling end towards a perhaps specific sequel.

John Gilstrap is an impressive guy OUTSIDE of being an outstanding thriller writer, and it's clear from his characters preparation and though processes that Gilstrap knows what he's writing about. That makes for such a better book.

Final Target has a much more serious plot line in that it involves the lives of children. Consequently, there is (appropriately, thank you) much less
Cathy Geha
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Final Target by John Gilstrap
Johnathan Grave #9

I was so excited to receive a copy of this book through NetGalley since I loved the other books I had read in the beginning of the series. I eagerly looked forward to reading it only to have the app to read it with stop working on my computer. So…with diligence I eventually managed to get the app up and running again only to realize that this book, filled with action and people and no doubt a good story was not one that I was up to reading this hot
Maryellen
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do love a good adventure novel and have enjoyed the entire Johnathan Graves series. I wasn't keen on this book as it started like so many others, a search and rescue in the jungle and turns into "an escape from the jungle and drug lords" novel. However, in my opinion it developed into a novel that gives the reader more insight into Digger's character than any previous novels. Gail returns and there is some information shared about their relationship past and perhaps future? The adventure in th ...more
Nancy
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by one of my favorite authors. Scorpion & Big Guy are in Mexico to rescue a DEA agent. Harry Dawkins is being held buy the Jungle Tigers cartel. Get the agent and go to the exfil point. All of a sudden exfil help has disappeared. Dawkins was asked about an orphange that they decide is where they need to be next. There are two caretakers and 15 orphans there. Cartel guys show up and all of a sudden the orphans need a place to go so now running from the cartel and getting to ...more
Mylinda
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Entertaining, but much of the story was predictable. The ending was very abrupt, and then very little wrap up. Bang - bang - boom - the end. It would make a good movie, but as a book it would be nice if the ending had felt more "finished".

The author makes it clear that he hates liberals, Mexico, and immigrants, even as he works to smuggle undocumented Mexican orphans into the US. Not sure how that all works out, but I guess that was discussed in the ending to the book that we didn't
Debbie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have only recently discovered John Gilstrap and I'm glad that I finally did. This was the second book I've read in this series and I was thoroughly entertained.

This book was intense with all the action trying to avoid this narcissistic and scary Mexican cartel leader and his legions of thugs. He even had the Mexican police on his side. The orphanage children also played a big role in this book.

Lots of action, plot twists, and characters used to capture the DEA man that had been abducted makes
Jenna
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
i really like this series.

unfortunately, i didn't enjoy this one as much as i have the previous others.
i had trouble getting into it. not sure why. i think it was b/c this one didn't move as quickly as the others had. also, there was more technical stuff in this one (ie. type of gun descriptions)
also, i had trouble w/empathy for some of the characters. (ie. the kids, the PC)
j
jonathon & boomer are still great characters. i like gail (gunslinger) so i'm glad she was brought back in this one.
Nora
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two special agents trek thru Mexican jungle to rescue DEA agent held by drug cartel. The tech advantages Jonathan and Boxers have available, eye in the sky, radio connections back home & with each other, helicopter in place are incredible. Things go wrong, but the reader early on has confidence in their abilities. Surprise, follows twists in the plot. When a group of orphans are caught in the middle of prisoner's extraction, things really become difficult. Just prior to becoming escorts of 1 ...more
Marilyn Fairchild
Final Target

This latest Jonathon Grave book is another great book. John Gilstrap has a great perspective on the drug cartels, and the way Mexican police can be bought. Add a U.S. senator, and his chief of staff into the mix and you get a page turner book. Couldn't put it down. I highly recommend this book, along with the others in the Jonathan Grave series. Start with the first and keep going!!
Brad
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Final Target is the latest Jonathan Graves thriller from John Gilstrap. "Digger and Boxer rescue a DEA agent from drug cartel thugs. But their support abandoned them in the jungle. So now they must move a hundred kilometers through the jungle aling with 14 kids from an orphanage and their PC to get home alive." Plenty of trademark Gilstrap action. This book also delves more into some sticky questions of right and wrong. Another good one from Gilstrap. And finally a hardcover!
Barbara Tobey
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal body count. Action-packed. Amusing repartee keeps the bloodshed from becoming overwhelming. The publisher provided a copy via NetGalley for my voluntary review. Not the typical cozy mystery that I normally read. I do like to mix it up with some action occasionally. This certainly had plenty. I look forward to reading more in this series, but I will not be snacking during the blood and guts descriptions next time.
Jim A
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Usual Digger and Boxer action thriller.

This one involves many more sub characters than previous books. And, too many of them are whiners. One, described as a career criminal, is an absolute train wreck when it comes to keeping his 'eye on the prize'. His father, on the other hand, is kick ass.

Leaves a loose end with a bad actor still on the outside. Possible see her in the next novel?
J.D. Webb
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's not to like?

Gilstrap's done it again. Made me lose sleep, miss a meal, and revved up my adrenaline page after page. Had me captive from the first sentence. Then he had the gall to place a teaser for Scorpion Strike so that I must show patience waiting for publication for one of his jewels once more. Nuts, as Boxers would say.
Trevor
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scorpion and Big Guy are sent in to rescue a DEA agent in Mexico. When the op goes south, they find themselves trapped in Mexico, with the PC and a group of orphan's. This is a fast paced adventure, as they try to get across Mexico to a waiting speedboat, while trying to stay ahead of the cartel. The 9th book in the series and still setting high standards.
Peter Dyer
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story reminded me a little of a movie from a long time ago called Father Goose about a guy who rescues a school teacher and some kids.

I do not think this is one of John's better books. The story was okay but not fantastic.

I get the impression this book is being used to introduce some new characters who will show up in future books.
Dawn
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding!!!

Love the Jonathan Grave series. Scorpion and Big Guy are double crossed when in Mexico rescuing someone. They end up at an orphanage -should they rescue the kids too? But they are a long ways from a safe extraction!! Fast paced and fun book. Bring on the next one!!!
Brenda
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a dark ops thriller.

Scorpion and Boxer find themselves abandoned in Mexico once they have recovered their DEA hostage. Stumbling on an orphanage the children are now at risk of death by the local drug lord.

Plans are moment by moment and getting everyone to safety means a lot of high tension situations.

Love the Jonathan Graves series.
Lee
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good Jonathan Graves book where he and Boxers are rescuing a captured DEA agent in Mexico. Left out to dry by the Feds they are forced their way thru hostile cartel. The escape is complicated when they pick up a bunch of orphans along the way. Good read.
Thomas Dale
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Had a long several flights to Uganda, and it was a perfect book to have to read. The plot kept you involved and the book was well written. There were several twists to the plot that weren't expected, which helped to make it an enjoyable read for a long trip.
Vivian Byfield
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

John Gilstrap does not disappoint. This instalment of my favourite action hero lived up to the expectations. An edge of your seat action pack thrill ride. Can't wait for my next fix.
Joe
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent thriller!!!!!

Another excellent thriller!!!' Me Gilstrap is a an amazing writer and I've read every book he's published. This last book in this series is a must read!!!
Carole Kuentz
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Book by John Gilstrap

This is exciting and as usual you can't put it down! John Gilstrap is one of the Best in this kind of book. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes convert ops .
A little bit about my background... I've always been a closet-writer. As a kid, I lived for the opportunity to write short stories. I was the editor of my high school newspaper for a while (the Valor Dictus, Robinson High School, class of 1975), until I quit ("You can't fire me! I quit!") over a lofty First Amendment issue that seemed very important at the time. My goal, in fact, was to become a j ...more

Jonathan Grave (10 books)
  • No Mercy (Jonathan Grave, #1)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • Threat Warning (Jonathan Grave, #3)
  • Damage Control (Jonathan Grave, #4)
  • High Treason (Johnathan Grave, #5)
  • End Game (Jonathan Grave #6)
  • Against All Enemies (Jonathan Grave #7)
  • Friendly Fire (Jonathan Grave #8)
  • Scorpion Strike (Jonathan Grave #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother