Start by marking “Sam” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
To the outside world, Tom is everything a young man should be: handsome, successful, athletic, ... popular. With a beautiful girl on his arm, a promising career, and a place in the first fifteen, he is the envy of all his friends. Yet when Tom meets Sam, one sunny December afternoon, a train of events is set in motion that will change both of their lives for ever.

A tale o
Published October 9th 2016 by Amazon Digital Services (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Sam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam

Elizabeth
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a strong effort by a first time author. Nice love story involving a young man who comes from a religious family and a seemingly "straight" guy who is drawn to him. The story jumps back and forth between present and past and I gotta say that did not work for me. Putting that aside the book is well written and their story worthwhile. It starts with how they meet and the back and forth it takes for them to be together. Their story is not easy. They are together 11 years and I think what I d ...more
Mike Oaks
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hell of a first novel

I have been reading my ebooks books in alphabetical order by author. I just have too many to choose from and can’t decide what to read next. So when I got to SAM I didn’t know anything about it. I don’t read the synopsis of a book prior to starting them. This story sucked me in. It’s not told in chronological order, so you learn a few things and then get the back story. Luke F Harris gave us a touching debut book. Looking forward to more stories from him. 4.75 for Awesome fr
Gregory Josephs
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With SAM, Luke F Harris presents a stunning debut. By combining a compelling story with universal themes (even to those outside the LGBT community) and top-notch writing, SAM emerges an almost perfect novel.

Although the opening chapter reveals certain details of the ending, Harris proves that life—and his story—is about the journey rather than the destination. Having a little foresight about the conclusion takes some pressure off and allows the reader to invest in the characters’ present situati
Bob Silverstein
Jun 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get past the "foreign-nous" of the writing and locations that sound made up, though they are probably real.

What I'm saying is that stumbling over every foreign sounding word severely destroyed the rhythm of my reading. If I were from NZ (or maybe even the UK), I'd probably enjoy this more.

My 1-star rating might seem unfair, but I didn't enjoy what I read. So, yeah.
AlitaConejita
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
The writing was good - though the back-and-forth across time and characters was a bit confusing.
It's not an HEA, but what happens after the HEA ends.
A lot of the story is flashbacks to when the two MCs were young (teens/20s). The main background (family life) you get is about/from the POV of Sam. But you know from the first chapter of the book that Sam is dead, and Tom is having a hard time coping with his death. It's a bit odd to have the usual romance story developed after you already know th
Nicole Vavoules
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, kindle
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
I really enjoyed it. There were a few chapters that’s jumped to different times and it was sometimes hard to figure out when the story was taking place. The story is told from both Sam and Tom’s perspective. Sam’s story was the story of how they met and the beginnings their relationship. Tom’s story was told years later so getting to see both perspectives was cool.
I felt like when in Sam’s point of view, we learned way more about Tom, and I didn’t get much
David
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Spoilers below *beware*

Great story. Only 3 stars for me because the flashbacks weren’t obvious at first. Wasn’t sure if that was the case, or if he was meeting a “new” Sam. Overall though, very well told. Will keep an eye out for new releases by this author.
Kayleigh Elizabeth
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Sam

Easy to read and the story kept me interested. The characters are relatable and it was an easy read on my phone.
Trish McCormack
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a heartfelt story with great characters, strong narrative and a vivid sense of place. Loved this book and the author thoroughly deserves to be proud of it.
Tom
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book...
Amanda
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-in-giveaways
I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Although I enjoyed the title character and the other main character, Tom, I didn't find there was a whole lot of point to this book, other than to be depressing. I had no idea where it was going or why I was reading until the last two or three chapters, and by the time it was revealed, I wished I hadn't kept going. There is definitely potential, but it needs more depth and more of a storyline.
Jadey ☆
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book! It tugged at the heartstrings and left an imprint that's for sure! Not only was it a great story, I enjoyed the flow and pace of the writing, and overall is an excellent read! As a New Zealander myself, it was amazing and refreshing to read a novel based in my country, and I can almost picture and smell and see the places in this book. AWESOME
K Cherry
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Too sad for me.

I'm sure for people that like unhappy or sad endings, this would be a great book. For me, though, sad endings just don't seem to end after the story...
Mari