Start by marking “The Sunshine Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Sunshine Sisters

Read Book

The Sunshine Sisters

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  10,716 ratings  ·  1,217 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Falling presents a warm, wise, and wonderfully vivid novel about a mother who asks her three estranged daughters to come home to help her end her life.

Published June 6th 2017 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sunshine Sisters, please sign up.
Mary I do not think she makes a good narrator. She comes across too dramatic. I have given up on a couple of her books because I could not tolerate the…moreI do not think she makes a good narrator. She comes across too dramatic. I have given up on a couple of her books because I could not tolerate the loudness and boisterous tone of her voice. In this book, Sunshine Sisters you can tell she doesn't have to be dramatic as she tones herself down in a few parts. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Ellyn Zinsmeister yup that's exactly what happened. My biggest disappointment was that we never really got to know Daisy, the girlfriend.

·  10,716 ratings  ·  1,217 reviews

Julie
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green is a 2017 Berkley publication.

This book is the ideal beach read.

Ronni Sunshine was once a famous actress, defining the narcissist personality we so often associate with that occupation. But, she also has three daughters, Nell, Meredith, and Lizzy, all of whom couldn’t wait to get away from Ronni… and each other.

But, now they have all been summoned home by Ronni, who has been diagnosed with a fatal disease… for real this time. She only has a little time left t
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
May 29, 2017 marked it as books-i-gave-up-on
Shelves: first-to-read, 2017
dnf @ 40%

I have read almost half the book and I really don't like any of the characters and don't care what happens to them. Maybe I will give it a try at some other point but it is not working for me at all right now.
Book of Secrets
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Ronni Sunshine was a famous B-list actress back in the day. For Ronni, being the center of attention came first, and the needs of her three daughters came last. As the years went by, the girls - Nell, Meredith, and Lizzy - became estranged from their narcissistic and often cruel mother, and unfortunately each other, too. Now Ronni is suffering from a terminal illness, and her last wishes are to reunite her daughters and make amends before it's too late.

The bright beachy cover of this book is a b
Debbie Oliphant
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of this author and do happy that I was able to purchase this book on a deal. I could not put this down. The story takes its time with character development and your glad because you have connected with each one never wanting the story to end.

This is a story about a mother whose vanity has destroyed all of the relationships that have mattered. She has received news that she has a terminal disease and needs her family but on her terms. The reunion with her daughters are met with tears an
Jill McGill
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Sunshine Sisters is the perfect Summer read!

This story is about a very dysfunctional family, I mean really, what family isn't?! Ronni Sunshine, once a famous actress, was a self-centered, dispassionate mother who was never available for her 3 daughters as they were growing up. You might say she created a very toxic environment for them because the bond they once had has now been disconnected through all the turbulence Ronni created throughout the years.

The story follows each sister through
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Ronni Sunshine is a famous but mildly aging actress and the mother of three daughters. By her own admission, she failed as a parent, so much so that as adults, they have very little interaction with her or each other. In fact, her middle daughter, Meredith, moved abroad to London in order to put some serious distance between them. Now that Ronni is facing a serious illness, she wants to make things right with her daughters and bring them together at her home i
"It doesn't matter how many years go by, how grown-up we think we are, how much we presume we have changed or evolved, when we are back in our childhood homes, we become exactly who we have always been... we will all just slip back into the roles we have always played, whether we were ever comfortable with them or not."
The Sunshine Sisters is an exploration of sisterhood, family, and women in general. The sisters consist of three daughters of a famous movie star who have barely spoken to on
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

Ronni Sunshine is a famous, wonderful, pleasant actress on stage, but at home she is anything but wonderful and pleasant. She has no time for her daughters.

We follow Meredith, Nell, and Lizzy as they grow up in an unloving household with a mother who is more of a tyrant than a mother and a mother who cares only for herself.

The girls flee the nest one at a time and have troubles of their own because of their childhood, but now that Ronni is dying, she wants her daughters to rally around her. Ronn
Myrna
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first, I didn't think I would like this book, but I did. What an interesting story of dysfunctional daughters and a narassistc cruel mother! The book takes you through each girl's life and how being raised by a horrible celebrity mother affects them. Not all of the main and side characters are likable especially the mother but they are engaging. Not a fluffy cute book (despite the cover) but one I would recommend. 4.5 stars!
Karen
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not really my taste. I thought all three of the sisters were awful and one deminsional. The plot was very thin. It is a 350+ page book and not very much happens in it. Just overall the book was a little shallow for me.
Danielle
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I had nearly given up on Jane Green based on her past few books. I am happy to say that with The Sunshine Sisters, she has completely redeemed herself! This book was everything I want out of a Jane Green book, and more. I loved the story and the characters, and had a hard time putting the book down.

I did have a slight issue with one minor part of the story. I won't say much because I don't want to spoil it, but I felt it was a bit contrived; had it been developed more, it would have be
Melissa
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I enjoyed listening to Falling in audio last year, I decided to do the same for The Sunshine Sisters. Jane Green has a lovely speaking voice and hearing the story narrated by her adds some extra flair.

I found it interesting that the story starts off from Ronni's perspective, and then after a few chapters it completely shifts to the three sisters for the rest of the novel. I think Ronni would have become a more sympathetic character if we had more of an idea of what was going through her he
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Ronni Sunshine was not a very good mother. Her career as an actress was always most important to her. But when life throws her a curve ball she isn't expecting, she will call her three daughters home together to try to make up for lost time.

Each daughter dealt with their mother's selfish ways the best way they knew how. Nell, the eldest,was unemotional; Meredith, in the middle, took everything to heart; and Lizzy, the youngest ignored her mother and did whatever she wanted to do anyway. They ha
Hilary
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Better than her last few books, but still not up to her writing when she wrote British chick lit like Jemima J. The characters are not very well fleshed out and very unrealistic. The mom is also a caricature. They all have enough money to live comfortably in Connecticut by the water. Have you ever seen the real estate prices up there? Jane has certainly become much more of posh American than a working girl Brit. She was waaay more fun before. I think I will throw in the towel now and give up on ...more
Bkwmlee
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it

After reading the summary, I chose this book as one of my summer beach reads because it sounded like it would be a perfect fit. I’ve never read anything by Jane Green before, though I had heard of her other works and know that most of them fall into the “chick lit” category, so with this book, I was expecting a light, easy-to-read story focused around women. That’s pretty much what I got except the part about the matriarch of the family, Ronni Sunshine, having a terminal illness and the
Amy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

I’ve been a huge Green fan for years and I always love when it’s time for her to release a new book. There is something about her writing and the easiness, the effortless flow that is like comfort food to me. The Sunshine Sisters was Green doing what she does best; crafting complex characters that virtually anyone could relate to while telling a story that is engaging and fun.

The entire first half of this is a bit on the slower side and impat
Jeannie
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining and enjoyable! I really like Jane Green's books.

Ronni Sunshine was an actress and is the mother of three daughters. She wasn't around much when her daughters were growing up, as a result the girls are not close. When Ronni discovers she is sick she wants to change this. Ronni invites them all to her house for a weekend and doesn't tell them why. It is an emotional weekend for everyone. I enjoyed getting to know the sisters, they are all so very different. The story goes back and for
Sharon Huether
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read this year.
A story of a mother and her three daughters. Nell the oldest. Lizzy the middle child and Meredith the youngest. It's an emotional roller coaster for all three girls.
Ronni Sunshine their mother is caught up in the spotlight of Hollywood. When she knows
she hasn't long to live she demands all her daughters come home so she can die. They obey her and come home to old conflicts. They all come to realize family is everything.
This book is more than a beach rea
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: June 6, 2017
Genre: Women's Fiction

The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green is a phenomenal novel about the complexities of families. Green dives very deep in this one and I found it to be a moving novel with down to earth and lifelike characters. What I also liked about this novel is the fact that I was hooked to the pages. Sure, a lot of books are catchy and grasp their readers attention from beginning to end, but somehow, this one was different. I was EXCITED to read it. I wanted t
Kristy
Ronni Sunshine has summoned her daughters home. The aging actress is ill, and she wants her daughters by her side. This, however, will be easier said than done, as her three children--Nell, Meredith, and Lizzy--are estranged, both from each other and their mother: the result of a traumatic childhood. Even Ronni will now readily admit she focused on her acting career and beauty rather than her daughters. Her constant belittlement and pressure on the girls made them turn on each other as well. Nel ...more
Laurel-Rain
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ronni Sunshine left London for Hollywood to become a beautiful, charismatic star of the silver screen. But at home, she was a narcissistic, disinterested mother who alienated her three daughters.

As soon as possible, tomboy Nell fled her mother’s overbearing presence to work on a farm and find her own way in the world as a single mother. The target of her mother’s criticism, Meredith never felt good enough, thin enough, pretty enough. Her life took her to London—and into the arms of a man whom s
Susan Peterson
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Sunshine Sisters is a compelling book that you will not be able to put down until you've reached the very end...so don't plan on getting a lot done while you're reading this book! Nell, Meredith, and Lizzy are the daughters of Ronni Sunshine, a narcissistic actress who was a disinterested mother. The sisters are as diverse as three people can be, but they all bear the scars and burdens of growing up with a volatile mother and an absent father. I loved how the story was told in flashbacks, wa ...more
Robyn
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Entertaining 'beach' read. Thee sisters, one dysfunctional family, and some lovely resolutions. 3.5 stars.
Sally Whiteside
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid 4 and a half stars for this book. Jane Green knows how to tell a story.
Pam Jenoff
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a long time devotee of Green's family sagas, I especially delighted in this story of three adult sisters who must come together when their mother, who was a glamorous but selfish movie star, falls ill. The jealousies, fears and reckoning with the past make for a compelling tale, and along with the love and humor, remind us of family histories of our own.
Linda Zagon
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank First to Read, Berkley, and Jane Green for the ARC of "The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green for my honest review.
The genres of this novel and Women's Fiction and Drama.
Jane Green writes about a truly dysfunctional family. She describes her characters as complicated and complex for starters. This is a heavy family drama.
The mother, Ronni Sunshine is an actress and reminds me of a "Mommy Dearest" type person. Totally narcissistic, and unavailable as a mother to her three dau
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

For the past few months she has had a huge, mad crush on him and has built him into some sort of demigod, with otherworldly qualities that would mean he would never have a normal, human conversation with someone like her.

She pauses just inside the front door, trying to gauge the temperature of the house. She does this a lot; they all do this a lot, pause just inside the front door to try to sniff out their mother’s mood, try to figure out who they need to be.

It doesn’t matter how
Monica
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best Jane Green book yet! Hands down this is my favorite Jane Green book! This story of Ronni Sunshine and her three daughters was touching, funny and thoroughly enjoyable. We meet Ronni who is an actress as she tries her hardest to make it in the industry. From the very start, she chooses her career over her family including her three daughters whom each have their issues with her.

We get to know the Sunshine Sisters through the years but the storyline comes to life when they are summoned ba
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I don't have much patience for sappy romance or Chick Lit which seems as if it follows a formula, and this one is neither. This author takes her time and draws her characters with feeling and depth. The first part of the book is a set up for the second part and it really works - you feel as though you really know everyone and how they interact with each other and the world around them.

The storyline of the selfish, unmaternal mother and how she affects her childeren, then wants
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ Prologue: All those years when Ronni thought she was sick, all those years convinced that every mole was melanoma, every cough was lung cancer, every case of heartburn was an oncoming heart attack, after all those years, when the gods finally stopped taking care of her she wasn't scared.

Green is an amazing storyteller and this book was incredible. I felt like this is one of her best books yet! She has a way of pouring herself into her books and you can tell when you read it. I feel
Chick Lit Book Club: 5/2018: The Sunshine Sisters - SPOILERS 12 43 May 27, 2018 06:53PM
Fiction Fanatics: August 2017 - The Sunshine Sisters 3 20 Aug 14, 2017 07:45PM
  • Secrets in Summer
  • The Captain's Daughter
  • Meet Me in Venice: A Chinese Immigrant's Journey from the Far East to the Faraway West
  • The Lake Season
  • Winter Storms (Winter, #3)
  • Seeing America
  • Same Beach, Next Year
  • The Forever Summer
  • Sunshine Beach (Ten Beach Road, #4)
  • The Dinner Party
  • The Book of Summer
  • Catching Air
  • The Bookshop at Water's End
  • The Beach at Painter's Cove
  • The Summer of Good Intentions
  • All the Time in the World
  • Other Waters
Jane Green's eighteenth novel, Falling, is soon to be released with Berkley/Penguin; she is the author of sixteen previous New York Times Bestselling novels, and known as one of the world's leading authors in women's fiction, with over ten million books in print, and translations in over 25 languages.

Previous novels have included The Beach House, Second Chance, Jemima J, and Tempting Fate.

She joi
“It doesn't matter how many years go by, how grown-up we think we are, how much we presume we have changed or evolved, when we are back in our childhood homes, we become exactly who we have always been.” 3 likes
“Love is love, Nell, in whatever form or shape it comes and those of us who have found it must not let anything get in the way.” 2 likes