Start by marking “Seven Steps to Managing Your Memory: What's Normal, What's Not, and What to Do about It” as Want to Read:

As you age, you may find yourself worrying about your memory. Where did I put those car keys? What time was my appointment? What was her name again? With more than 41 million Americans over the age of 65 in the United States, the question becomes how much (or, perhaps, what type) of memory loss is to be expected as one gets older and what should trigger a visit to the doct ...more
Published August 1st 2017 by Oxford University Press, USA

Start your review of Seven Steps to Managing Your Memory: What's Normal, What's Not, and What to Do about It
Una Tiers
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After hearing a presentation by the author, I wanted to learn more about memory. Much of the information was helpful, but the example conversations are ridiculous. Good information if you are willing to plow through the book.
Gill
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley

'Seven Steps to Managing Your Memory' by Andrew E. Budson and Maureen K. O'Connor

3 stars/ 6 out of 10

I was interested in reading this book to find out more about how memory works, why it may deteriorate as one ages, and what can be done about this.

The authors have designed the book so that there are scenarios relating to some fictional individuals to introduce each section. These are followed by more factual information.

Descriptions in the book are clear and straightforward. There is a lot of re
Sheryl
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most well organized and designed medical book ever....it addressed all the issues I was interested in, presented it in multiple ways (straight medical doctor jargon and a story format between 8 characters you get to know), and summarized each chapter highlighting the main topics.
I feel much better now because I am informed about what is normal and what isn't and ways to maintain and/or improve brain health.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever remembered that they forgot someth
Pauline
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting. However the examples of dialogue were not in any way realistic. I had to remind myself it was written by a medical doctor and non-fiction.
Wisteriouswoman
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The authors are great about explaining different parts of the brain and how they function and encouraging people to see a doctor if they notice they have memory changes that they are worried about.
The case studies also helped me see ways that family members can be helpful. This book would be good for someone who is concerned about a relative that is having trouble functioning on a daily basis.
There are helpful tips to adjusting habits to make memory lose from aging easier to cope with. Fortuna
Karla Winick-Ford
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was informative. More for the old folks rather than the over-scheduled and over-stressed doctoral students with active children a full time job and additional responsibility... so ... at least I was somewhat normal..
Author affirms best practice is to engage in mentally stimulating activity (writing a dissertation counts for that, right?), pursue social activities (football games, wrestling tournaments, etc), positive attitude (duh), and get organized (darn, hoped to forever avoid that o
Tisha Olson
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Informative, friendly and empowering

My mother has recently been noticing memory changes in herself, and I came across this book and thought it would be helpful. I was pleasantly surprised by how accessible and readable the information is, and the layout allows for easy maneuvering through the text and to topics elsewhere in the book. I thought this would give me information to help her — and it did — but I found myself highlighting things that apply to me too. Thanks to this, I will be more cons
Woodenpiggie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memory
This may be a book for seniors. The flow of book is very slow, the writing is repetitive, too many irrelevant details. I could not finish the book after the first two chapters. Not sure who was the intended audience. Definitely not for people younger than 55. If it is for caregivers, it should be more concise.
Bibi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative but appears repetitive at times. Written in an easy format utilizing a "case" approach and featuring a few fictional characters. Provides definitions, characteristics or symptoms, and excellent suggestions on how to tackle this malady. Would recommend to anyone trying to understand memory loss and aging. ...more
Sue Parker
Jun 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I will be recommending that my husband tries some of the ideas given here. We are both finding our memories not what they were however I think we would have been even better off having read this book some decades ago!
Carol
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very informative
Cherie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for older adults but really informative.
Catherine
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-lessons
Very clearly written book about all the different reasons for memory loss and practical steps to take to treat the issue. Highly useful.
Lawanda
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thorough and informative.
John Braine
I found this quite disappointing. I don't want to give it a low rating, as it would most likely be a perfectly fine book for the right audience. There are loads of books about memory but I spotted this one in a list of books to look forward to in 2019 which made it sound like this book would be to memory what Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams is to sleep. It's certainly not.

This book is really geared towards elderly people who are starting to experience memory problems, parti
Bea Turvey
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The layout of this book appeals greatly with the 'do you relate to this', this is how it's supposed to work, these are normal errors, but this is not, with examples that I could relate to.
It will either be scarily accurate in highlighting problems you're experiencing or a great source of relief. Either way, everyone can utilise the 'seven steps' to alleviate or delay the problems of memory loss. Provided you can remember what you've read.
Jennifer Roberts
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I work in a Memory Clinic and have so many clients with questions relating to what is normal and what is atypical in age related memory changes. This book by Budson and O'Connor is one I will recommend to all of my clients, family, and friends without hesitation. It is written by credentialed professionals to be understood by everyone. It is a thorough compilation meant to provide the answers to everyday questions related to memory. I highly recommend it without hesitation. ...more
Peter Grinspoon
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. I found it to be well-written, informative, and extremely useful. It should be required reading for anyone who has a friend or a relative suffering from dementia.
Julie

• An American Sunrise
  • Dolly Parton, Songteller: My Life in Lyrics
  • Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • The Little Book of Biblical Justice: A Fresh Approach to the Bible's Teaching on Justice (The Little Books of Justice and Peacebuilding Series) (Little Books of Justice & Peacebuilding)
  • A Woman Like Her
  • I, Who Did Not Die
  • The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • It's Not about the Hike
  • Face It
  • The 6 Keys: Unlock Your Genetic Potential for Ageless Strength, Health, and Beauty
  • Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man
  • The Smallest Lights in the Universe: A Memoir
  • The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness
  • The Summer of Jordi Pérez (and the Best Burger in Los Ángeles)
  • In Love & Pajamas: A Collection of Comics about Being Yourself Together