Start by marking “Happy Teachers Change the World: A Guide for Cultivating Mindfulness in Education” as Want to Read:

Happy Teachers Change the World is the first official, authoritative manual of the Thich Nhat Hanh/Plum Village approach to mindfulness in education. Spanning the whole range of schools and grade levels, from preschool through higher education, these techniques are grounded in the everyday world of schools, colleges, and universities.
Beginning firmly with teachers and all
Published June 6th 2017 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy Teachers Change the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Teachers Change the World

Start your review of Happy Teachers Change the World: A Guide for Cultivating Mindfulness in Education
Kelly
The author has practiced mindfulness since the 1980s and is world renown. I liked this book, but I liked the set-up of a similar book Teaching Kids to Thrive better because it offered more specific strategies and activities. This is more of an overview of mindfulness and how it has been used for the past 30+ years. There are activities, but not as many as the other book offers. This feels more like a lecture (not a boring or bad one) than a workshop, but the author's Wake Up Schools program is ...more
Thao Phuong
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh offered a very detailed guide on how to practice mindfulness and specific activities one can follow. The organization of the book is also logical as it begins with individual practice and gradually expands to classroom and community practice.
The book was indeed gleam of sunshine during my stressful teaching day, a gentle reminder that teachers need to take care of her inner peace alongside with fulfilling teaching duties
Melissa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, teaching
This book was brought to our staff's attention by a colleague, and our administration purchased several copies for our staff to read together. This past year was my worst year in teaching, and it was difficult for me to stay positive given the high needs in my class, in addition to some tragedy that our school as a whole experienced. It was very hard for all of us, so this book seemed to be presented at the most opportune time. I was very open to the "teachings" in this book, and now that I am ...more
Amanda
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher, the explanations and step by step processes of mindfulness practices in the classroom (with rationale tied to student learning and well-being!) were all great resources! I’ve already implemented some of the practices and they’ve helped to ground students and prepare themselves for their next task. I highly recommend this book to teachers/leaders looking to build mindfulness habits in their classroom/school!
Emily
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Gleened a little out of this, but was hoping for something a little more basic for those with less experience with the practice of mindfulness. A lot of the book seemed to be trying to sell me on the idea of mindfulness, but since I was reading the book I didn't really need that. I found the Mindfulness Gamea Activity Cards far more helpful for the way to integrate mindfulness into my classroom. This did help with learning more in regards to the concept of mindfulness.
Becky Shattuck
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Becky by: Angela
There were aspects of this book I really liked but others I really didn't. The better parts included ideas for caring for students' whole self (including emotional well-being and body/health). There's value in slowing down and responding to our present environment. I especially appreciated the sections on having compassion and love for our students and working through difficult problems with them. On the flip side, the book was a little too spiritual for me, and it also got a bit corny and ...more
Kate
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm sure this book could be great for other teachers. This book is not for the kinds of students I teach, so that coloured my reading of it. Working with students with trauma, you could not sit in a circle and discuss their suffering. It wouldn't work.
(Disclaimer: I didn't finish the book either - it's holidays and there are too many other amazing books to read).
Megan Starr
Was worth a read. I don't have an opinion. Had pros and cons. I'm glad I read it.
Truong Hiep
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
1. Tập trung vào hơi thở: tôi đã biết cách tập trung vào hơi thở của mình, vận dụng mọi lúc mọi nơi để giúp mình sống thật sâu với giây phút hiện tại.
2. Thỉnh chuông: không phải "đánh chuông" hay "gõ chuông". Tôi đã cảm nhận được sự bình an của giây phút hiện tại. Tôi thấy mình đang nhẹ nhàng bước đi trong một chiều thu êm ả, trong tiếng chuông chùa xa xa vọng lại. Tôi không vội vã, thật bình an. Thỉnh thoảng vài chiếc lá vàng bay xuống theo làn gió nhẹ. Tôi thấy mình như cô gái mơ, trẻ trung,
Vui Lên
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Đây là sách mà mình cho điểm thấp nhất của thầy Thích Nhất Hạnh.

Nội dung sách phù hợp với thầy cô hoặc những người chưa biết gì về Mindfulness, chứ nếu đã có thực hành một thời gian rồi thì sách không mang lại quá nhiều giá trị.

À, một điểm cộng cho sách là nhiều câu chuyện của các giáo viên trên khắp thế giới đã ứng dụng chánh niệm trong dạy học thế nào. Những câu chuyện đó cũng là ví dụ khá tốt để ứng dụng và suy ngẫm.
HOA NGUYEN
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The authors introduce core practices of mindfulness. What I need to do next is to follow the guidance, learn and adapt to conditions, contexts or even to apply the practices more creatively according to the target groups. Besides, experiences shared by many experts and practitioners are valuable in a way that I can learn from them how to bring mindfulness practices to the classmates and colleagues.
Thanks Thay and Shangha for sharing this through the book!
Merin
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2019
As someone who's wanting to incorporate mindfulness into my classroom, this book is extremely helpful. It has lessons you can use with your students, and a lot of practical advice from other educators who have worked to teach their own students about the practice. I like the step-by-step instructions included with the plans, and the list of resources at the back. I'm definitely going to be referring back throughout the upcoming school year!
Chalida
It is hard to read a text book in your spare time even as much as I love Thich Nhat Hanh. But there are instructions for educators to start incorporating mindfulness in themselves and ultimately take some of these practices into their classrooms. Lots of simple practices and good reminders for life and finding peace within. Fun to practice with book club.
Melissa
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This guide has a great mix of practical, easy to use instructional guides mixed with Thay's lyrical prose and teachings. It is all based on the Plum Village model and emphasizes the point that any leader of mindfulness must first and foremost be a practitioner, a fact often lost in many of the models of SEL and mindfulness we see implemented in western schools.
Douglas Bachman
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am particularly moved by the breadth of teacher contributions to the book. It gives a deep sense of how practical and relevant these teachings are, and how profoundly they can transform both teacher and student.
Kelsey
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting book that provides more in depth explanations of mindfulness interspersed with testimonies and practices. Some items seemed more geared towards younger students versus high schoolers (what I teach).
Sean
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
A good introduction into mindfulness in education, but I didn't pick up any new tricks like I thought I would have. This is for teachers with minimal awareness of mindful teaching practices.
Monica
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for teachers who want ideas on how to teach mindfulness in their classrooms!
Pro Mukherjee
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lot of practical tools in an easy to use format.
Backed by an authentic practice.
Marcie Marzullo-Bertelsman
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not what I was thinking. Too many pages for what it was trying to convey.
Kenley Neufeld
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Excellent handbook and guide for mindfulness practice both for ourselves and in the classroom.
Nicole
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: t4sj-bc
Practical and useful for educators. Simple enough to learn and put into practice.
Emilie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I'm not yet sure which of these techniques I could apply in my teaching practice (in higher ed), I appreciated the chance to learn more about mindfulness--especially mindful walking.
Ann Viveros
Jun 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
#BetterTogetherCA...: August Book Chat - Q1 2 2 Aug 18, 2019 01:53AM
#BetterTogetherCA...: August Book Chat - Q2 1 1 Aug 18, 2019 01:50AM
#BetterTogetherCA...: August Book Club Slow Chat - Intro 2 4 Aug 18, 2019 01:47AM

• The Wild Card: 7 Steps to an Educator's Creative Breakthrough
  • Positive Mindset Habits for Teachers: 10 Steps to Reduce Stress, Increase Student Engagement and Reignite Your Passion for Teaching
  • Education and the Significance of Life
  • Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • Trauma-Sensitive Mindfulness: Practices for Safe and Transformative Healing
  • A Novel Approach: Whole-Class Novels, Student-Centered Teaching, and Choice
  • The Inner Work of Racial Justice: Healing Ourselves and Transforming Our Communities Through Mindfulness
  • Mindful of Race Understanding and Transforming Habits of Harm
  • The Transformation: Discovering Wholeness and Healing After Trauma
  • The Art of Coaching Teams: Building Resilient Communities that Transform Schools
  • My Grandmother's Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Mending of Our Bodies and Hearts
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • Walking Into the Unknown (Bregdan Chronicles, #10)
  • For the Love of Food and Yoga: A Celebration of Mindful Eating and Being
  • Hashimoto's Protocol: A 90-Day Plan for Reversing Thyroid Symptoms and Getting Your Life Back
  • Math Recess: Playful Learning in an Age of Disruption