Start by marking “Sovereign (Nemesis, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sovereign (Nemesis, #2)

Sovereign

(Nemesis #2)

Only nine months after her debut as the superhero Dreadnought, Danny Tozer is already a scarred veteran. Protecting a city the size of New Port is a team-sized job and she’s doing it alone. Between her newfound celebrity and her demanding cape duties, Dreadnought is stretched thin, and it’s only going to get worse.

When she crosses a newly discovered billionaire supervilla
Published July 25th 2017 by Diversion Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sovereign, please sign up.
Marsha Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Perhaps we’ll get a lot of angry and power-hungry women who use their newfound…morePower tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Perhaps we’ll get a lot of angry and power-hungry women who use their newfound abilities to force men to be subjugated to them. The character of Greywytch was a perfect setup for this imagined scenario. She was proof that women can be just as brutal and ruthless as men if they get to wield deadly forces without supervision or restraint.

That's one outcome. But there are other possibilities. There will be women already in positions of temporal power--senators, mayors, empresses, queens, etc.--who might seize this opportunity to remake the world to be a kinder, gentler place. Think of it: a world in which the dominant sex isn’t about grabbing power but in helping the human population.

In the novel Black Panther, King T’Chaka of Wakanda contemptuously turns down an offer to sell Wakandan technology to a bunch of acquisitive and greedy foreigners.

The king stopped at the door, angrily looking back at the stunned men. “You could have made half of our breakthroughs yourselves, but there’s too much money to be made in misery.” He shook his head at their stupidity. “Why not invest some of your wealth in educating your children, instead of building new and more powerful weapons you hope never to have to use? Why not build roads and bridges and hospitals, instead of million-dollar football stadiums with taxpayer money?

“I can tell you why: Your society’s sick fixation with money has overridden your good sense to the point of obsession. Why cure a disease when you can force people to pay for medicine?”

With women in charge, it’s highly likely the world might change for the better in large ways. As for how societies in the microcosm will be re-adjusted, might I suggest…pants with large pockets and walking around topless in public?(less)

Elise (TheBookishActress)
No one is sadder than I am about the fact that this sequel does not quite live up to book one. While the ending was worth it, this is definitely a drop in quality. I liked book one a lot, but I think this one feels like the same thing repeated and I'm not into superhero novels enough to really care.

Pointless sequels are honestly an epidemic that needs to stop. This entire book felt pretty pointless. Yes, there were a few loose threads after book one, but Danny had a great character arc and got
Justine
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read

Sovereign is an excellent sequel to Daniels' debut book, Dreadnought. Danny has had some time to adjust to her new powers and continues to deal with the fallout of the events of the last book. She and Doc Impossible are in a holding pattern with Graywytch in terms of the continued future of the Legion, but she loves her new job regardless.

The story moves quickly and there are some nicely written fight scenes. In addition, Daniels continues to keep a level of humorous dialogue which lig
Lindsay
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a while after the first book and Danielle Tozer aka Dreadnought has taken over the protector of the city role from the now nearly defunct Legion. But it's not all good news. Graywytch is making Danny's work and personal life difficult, things are really strange with Calamity after the events of the first book and Doc Impossible has become a raging alcoholic. And on top of all that, maybe Danny has issues of her own that maybe can't be dealt with just by punching people.

While not explicitly
Inge
Dude, that was frickin' badass.

"I don't care who you are or what you can do. I don't care how much I'm outnumbered or how badly I'm hurt. You bring the fight to me, and I'll bring it right back to you twice as hard, and I will make you regret the day you thought you thought you were hard enough to take on Dreadnought."

Sovereign is a pretty damn great sequel to Dreadnought, and a pretty damn great ending to this duology – or is it a trilogy? It felt kind of final, but if there were to be another
Veronique
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

Having loved Dreadnought, I couldn't wait to read this sequel. Once more Daniels delivers an incredibly packed, complex, superhero story, full of breath-taking action of course, but much more than that too. Danielle not only has to deal with the 'usual' tasks from her job as sole active protector of New Port, stopping super villains, but also the emotional and psychological effects stemming from it, especially when you take into consideration the years of abuse she suffered at the hands of he
Danika at The Lesbrary
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite superhero story I've ever read. I actually liked it even more than the first one (which I loved). I felt like the first book set up the premise and this one really took off from there. It deals with crunchy, interesting questions about what superheros would actually be like. (For instance, what are some of the dangers of taking a teen from an abusive home, giving them superstrength, and rewarding them for pummeling bad guys?) Aaaand it doesn't hurt that this one has a F/F re ...more
Annie Deo
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book so much that I gave it a 5-star rating and was absolutely thrilled to be approved for an ARC of the second book - so how did I fare?

I thought after weathering all the ups and downs of Dreadnought, I was prepared for the sequel, but I was SO wrong. This book hurt me on a deep spiritual level because of how much pain and suffering the protagonist went through, and yet I couldn't stop reading. I was up til 3am finishing this off because I needed to know how it ended and if i
Kaje Harper
This sequel to Dreadnought gives us a chance to get to know Danny, as she grows into her powers and responsibilities. All is not well in superhero land, with new villains and plots and political maneuvering stressing their depleted ranks. An impending disaster hovers in the background - the possibility of having more and more superpowers awoken, that would change the fabric of a society where currently the few protect the many from the few. What if everyone had powers? What if some could steal p ...more
Ben Babcock
April Daniels might single-handedly be restoring my faith in superhero fiction.

Spoilers for the first book but not this one, unless you think revealing that Graywytch is still a massive problem for Danny is a spoiler, in which case … oops. Keep reading, then? :P

I love the idea of superhero fiction, but most of the actual superhero novels I’ve read so far have been underwhelming at best. It turns out that this is a subgenre quite difficult to pull off, in terms of plot and characterization. I ten
Amanda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. The world needs more books like this!
autumn
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
excellent!! better than the first book in every way - more mature, better plot, better executed, just overall much tighter and more impressive. i can't wait till the next!!
Jessica Strider
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, diverse
Pros: great characters, interesting plot, complex issues

Cons: some interactions annoyed me, a bit heavy handed at times

Note: This review contains spoilers for Dreadnought, the first book in this series.

Nine months have passed since the events of Dreadnought, and Danielle has a contract to protect New Port City. She’s begun to love the feeling of power being a superhero provides, beating supervillians into submission in ways that Doc Impossible finds worrisome. Her relationship with Calamity has
Loren
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in a while that I've had to tear through because the main character is falling so hard and fast that I am frightened for her. Obviously, if you've been bullied all your life, you're going to have anger issues. If you suddenly become invincible, and you derive pleasure from -- and are rewarded for -- beating the crap out of people, sooner or later you're going to intimidate the wrong person. I thought that was handled really well.

Danny's imprisonment and torture were riveti
Aoife
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse, kindle, own-voices, ya
I received a free digital copy of this book from the publishers/author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Trans girl Danni is now a bonafide superhero after being granted the mantle of Dreadnought but even though she defeated an ultra-villian, Danni still has to struggle for acceptance and fight for everything she’s earned, while proving to others she’s more than what they think.

Sovereign was good, but not as good as the first book Dreadnought for me. I’m not sure if it was the parti
Rachel
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so loving this series! Dreadnought is a great teenage superhero, growing into her powers and the maturity to use them. There's plenty of action (and I love that the nasty supervillain is a TERF), and the action points up moral issues. I hope the series will continue--there are plenty of places to go with it, and there's the Nemesis.
Amren's Wife Taylor
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This duology was wonderful and exactly what I went looking to find. Lgbtq+ superheroes, what more could I have asked for <3
Heather Henkel
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

This is a really nice superhero book. I liked all of the happenstances and fights that Danny got into. I also really liked the relationship of Sarah and Danny and I like that Dr. impossible took on the mother role.
Nicole Field
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, f-f
NetGalley Review

There is SO MUCH going on in this one tiny little novel, and it is just so good. Okay, so maybe it's not one tiny little novel, but I managed to read it all in one sitting, so it seems really short. Maybe it's more that it's really good, so I found it impossible to put down until I was finished.

So this is the second novel in April Daniels' 'Nemesis' series, the first one being the equally amazing Dreadnought. Some would find it incredibly difficult to follow up such an amazing first novel with
Rie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review also appears on my blog, Friend of Dorothy Wilde.

The biggest split between reading YA as a YA and reading it as an adult is the transition from wanting fictional characters to be your mom, and wanting to be their mom. There is no fictional child I would want to save from the world more than Sovereign's Danny, aka Dreadnought, infinitely powerful teen superheroine currently holding the world together by threads--or, the lattice, the web of energetic connections holding the fabric of the un
viktoria
I might be in the minority so far, because while I liked the first Nemesis book and rated a 3.5, bumped up to a 4, I genuinely, flat-out loved this book. The first book was cute and fun; the sequel is interesting and intriguing and so complicated, especially as far as character arcs go. Danny, in particular, goes through such a freaking fascinating character arc. You see her nine months after the events in Dreadnought, and how the power and fame has changed her, both in good and bad ways, and th ...more
Simone
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Argh... I had such high hopes for this sequel! I really liked the first book, but somehow I didn't feel invested in any of the characters and the world didn't quite work for me. And then the plot kind of annoyed me, so I was just frustrated for most of this.

So, let's get into this. The plot felt all over the place and not explained enough at some points. There were also moments were I just didn't buy it. (view spoiler)
Lisa
It's sad that I have to say this, but unfortunately, the second installment couldn't live up to its predecessor.

Danny has to deal with some serious problems in this book and I feel like the Danny from book one would've handled it better than this Danny. I also somehow lost my interest in the plot after a half of this book. The set up promised to be exciting but sadly, I couldn't really be bothered anymore after the first half. But I really liked the first half so that saved this book.
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Diversion Books for review via Net Galley.

I really loved Dreadnought. Which is why I’m sad that I didn’t love Sovereign. I liked it. I liked it quite a bit, but it just didn’t live up to Dreadnought for me.

I think one of the reasons why I didn’t fall in love with Sovereign like I did with Dreadnought is because it has a lot more focus on the superhero side of things. One of the aspects I loved so much in the first book of this duology was the focus on Danny a
Lisa
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you liked Dreadnought, you will probably also enjoy this sequel. I definitely did.

In this sequel, Danielle starts dealing with her superhero-live for real. Most of the Justice League is dead, wounded or retired and so she is the only superhero left in Portland to deal with criminals. Between PR work, caping for the entire city, her abusive parents trying to get access to her money and, of course, supe
Wealhtheow
Danielle has settled into her role as Dreadnought, protecting her home city of New Port and doing everything from saving lives in emergencies to fighting supervillains. But with physical, legal, and magical attacks coming at Danny from a mysterious source, she might not be able to protect anyone else, let alone herself.

There are 3 things I absolutely love about this series:
1 The fight scenes are incredibly well written, always get my heart pounding, and are wonderfully imaginative and innovative
Sara
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this sequel really took things up a notch! More fighting, more villains, more emotion, more friendships, more romance, more queer characters, more adventure!

The thing I really love about this series is that Danny as Dreadnought deals with all of the things superheroes deal with in movies, but in a more realistic way. She gets emotionally and physically broken down and still keeps fighting. Despite her superheroes, she actually gets hurt in her fights, but never gives up. I feel like I neve
Maša
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, sf-fantasy, romance, ya
Danny is pretty new at this superhero thing, and she has to learn fast. There are new enemies, old enemies, the public, her parents… All of them at once.

That was also my beef with this book. Don't get me wrong, we stil get epic fight scenes, important questions, messy and life-like situations… but everything feels somehow glossed over. You have so many plot moments, all of them pretty emotionally engaging, happening one after the other… I'm glad Danny's new superhero image gets challenged, but
Rebecca
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Absolutely in love with this series and all the characters. I did not think I could love Danielle more, but I do. Her anger is real, and I relate to it in a way that made me relieved to read about. As much as I loved Dreadnought, I'll admit there were parts of the book that slowed down for me. That was definitely not the case with Sovereign. I was enthralled right from the beginning and no character, LITERALLY NOT ONE, is boring to me.

Danielle's arc is incredible and so so so so relatable. Doc h
Sionna
The thing is, I absolutely *adored* the first book. For some reason, I just couldn't get into this one and ended up not liking it as much.

There is still so much good quality here though. There is LGBT rep., there is growth in a character who feels she needs to be the best, adults don't always know the best option but they do try, and a few other things I can't recall right now but really thought were great additions.

I'm sooooo happy about the romance actually happening, but the way it came abo
Harper
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how to express my awe with this series besides saying that I didn’t expect it. I didn’t expect the perfect way Daniels handles nearly everything — gender, sexuality, abuse, trauma, violence, anger, hero worship,humanity, and so much more. The fight scenes are so well written and not confusing. The way things work makes sense. The characters are great. I have to write a real review someday because there is just so much good about these two books but my brain just can’t handle it all ...more
YA LGBT Books: Sovereign (Nemesis 2) - Sequel to Dreadnought - April Daniels 28 35 May 05, 2018 05:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: Book details edit request 3 28 Nov 08, 2016 01:02PM
  • Friends and Foes (Bushido Online, #2)
  • Not Your Villain (Sidekick Squad, #2)
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 4: Goku vs. Vegeta (Dragon Ball Z, #4)
  • Viral Airwaves (Viral Airwaves, #1)
  • Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (The Order of the Stick, #D)
  • The Butterfly and the Flame
  • Gravity
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • On Her Watch (Don't Tell, #2)
  • Shadowboxer
  • Forever Fantasy Online (FFO, #1)
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • Guyliner
  • Oryon (Changers, #2)

Nemesis (3 books)
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • Untitled (Nemesis, #3)
“Every time something big happens, the cops set up shop like they’re planning to stay there for weeks, and then a few dozen of them just stand around doing nothing until the crisis is over. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen.” 1 likes