Start by marking “Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)

Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  9,087 Ratings  ·  496 Reviews
As her own magical powers awaken along with the growing darkness covering the land, Elly must discover who her true father is and whether the man she is destined to love can accept her real identity, in this follow-up to Lord of the Fading Lands. Original.
Hardcover, Large Print, 619 pages
Published July 18th 2008 by Thorndike Press - Large Print (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Lady of Light and Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady of Light and Shadows

Robin (Bridge Four)
I’m just going to come out and say it C.L. Wilson has some of the cheesiest covers ever. She is really an accomplished builder of fantasy worlds but looking at her covers mostly I get the impression of a chincy romance novel. But don’t let that stop you from reading her books which I like to call Female Fantasy. There is a great fantasy world within the pages and the building of a romance between two characters that could be epic.
“All pearls begin as something unpleasant that the oysters canno
Cait • A Page with a View
2.5 stars. I don't know if I can continue with this series... it's just getting too cheesy for me. I really do like the worldbuilding, though! The kingdoms, magic, politics, fae + elf stuff, and the Mage threat are really strong.

Most of this story was a bunch of obstacles to Rain and Ellysetta's marriage, so it wasn't as interesting as the first book. I really wasn't into the first half and thought a lot of it dragged. There were just too many POVs I didn't care about.

And I just can't take Rai
Kristalia
Final rating: 4.5/5 stars

“My heart has followed where my soul has led. Ke vo san, Ellysetta. I love you.”

This book was full of plot twists and actions - in the last 40% of the book. Until then, the pace was a bit slow like in the first book. When I read this book, I understood why people said it was a high fantasy for women - in a way, it is. It's mostly focused on romance, but it also has amazing world building.

In the first book, we were introduced to Eld Mages, Tairen and Fey races and h
mich
Oh my god. This book was so! freaking! good! If you like sweeping epic romantic fantasy, you may wanna check this series out. For real.

I loved this. I sorta remember being mildly bored for large portions of the first half and even irritated at some things, but I'm not even going to talk about any of that now - it's pretty much been blasted from my memory cuz from the 55% mark in my kindle ALL THE WAY TILL THE END, it was absolute perfection. So many POVs! So many things going on! Action, intrigu
Aly is so frigging bored
2nd read 22- January 2016
Buddy read with Maru and Anzu

1st read 2-3 April 2015
And that's why I hate fanatical religious crap... it can never end good.
Zeek
Second in C. L. Wilson's impressive Tairen Soul series, I couldn't get this one read fast enough. (At one point I was so anxious to see what happens next, I had to actually take a deep breath and slow myself down!)

Starting right where the first, (Lord of The Fading Lands), left off, we are thrust back into the intricately woven world Wilson has created, with every page an entertaining revelation.

The courtship between Ellysetta Baristani and the Fey Lord Rain, is moving along at a fast clip, but
Lover of Romance
My heart has followed where my soul has led. Ke vo san, Ellysetta. I love you.

As the wedding date draws closer, and the relationship between Rain and Ellie is becoming more stronger by the day. Deep within Ellie is a powerful magic that is about to burst free, and even though Rain doesn't fully understand, he knows he must show her control so that accidents don't happen. Ellie is frightened of what is happening to her, and she doesn't have any idea on what she is fully capable of. In her mind sh
Jamila
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that. Was. Something.
I mean the first half was ok but once shit hit the fan... It was anxiety inducing pandemonium!
I was seriously pissed of at what everyone put Ellie through
I think her mom and seliena deserved what they got. I'm just waiting for the queen to get hers too.
I LOOOOVED gaelin! He is badass with SASS. HES BADSASS
Rain deserved a solid punch in the nuts.
Dorian is a pussy, but I still like him
Bel is bae
I ship keiran and the cat Love
Den needs his intestines pulled out of his
Jo
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, 4-stars, gr2016
For every light, there was a shadow. For every smile, there was a tear. For every gift, a sacrifice.

And the journey of the Fey King Rain Tairen Soul and his truemate Ellysetta continues, and just like Rain had been warned, Ellysetta would not need a tairen as her truemate, as her protector if the tasks that lay before her were not very dangerous.

Rain’s duty continues in trying to convince the King of Cilieria and his council that they should keep their borders closed to the Eld, to those sus

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Reading this book the second time around made me want to write a review, but I couldn't figure out what to say.

Instead, I'll tell you what I loved rediscovering about this particular installment in the Tairen Soul series :

1. Strength of characters - I am amazed at Ellie's ability to balance her wants and insecurities with the need to protect those she loves the most. She could sit back and allow Rain and the warriors to continue to heal her emotional scars, but instead, she fights to care for th
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
Enjoying the second book in this series really brings back some memories. It's amazing just how good i find the world created by C.L. Wilson in this series. It inspired me to faithfully wait for The Winter King, and sadly get heavily disappointed with the result. After a magical series of this epic caliber, we got saddled with an average fantasy with extremely limited supernatural elements. Seriously, it read like a bubblegum romance - a bodice ripper with some fish tossed in and a bit of magic ...more
Tina
This book picks up right where Lord of the Fading Lands left off. Ellie is still participating in all the pre-wedding observances, the minion of the Eld Mage is still running around in various incarnations fomenting chaos, Rain is still trying to convince everyone the Eld Mages are returning to rain their dark magical terror and the fey are still surrounding Ellie in force trying to protect her.

The strengths and weaknesses of the first book are still evident in this follow up. This makes utter s
C.L. Wilson
Aug 27, 2007 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: written-by-me
Always, she had feared the magic.

Always, she had fought the dark visions.

Always, she had dreamed of the lover who could save her…

Since her earliest memories, Ellysetta Baristani has feared magic, even as she has been inexorably drawn to all things Fey, especially the poetry and legends of Rain Tairen Soul.

Now claimed as Rain’s truemate and no longer able to deny her own magic, Ellysetta is swept into the very center of a struggle filled with the magic and darkness she has always feared. The Hig
Duchess Nicole
I am torn about what to rate this. It took me forever to get through this book, and not just because it's long. There is a lot of explaining and world building. I mean a LOT. And while I suppose most of it is pretty necessary, it made for an extremely boring read at times. That being said, the parts that weren't boring were freaking amazing. I was fist pumping in my mind and grinning like an idiot. There are a couple of mini-battles that are so well-written, it felt like watching a movie in slow ...more
Kendall Berg
omg

^How I feel finishing this book.

I was worried because I liked book one so much I thought, "How in the heck could it get any better?"

Well it does. Hold onto your seats readers - this bumpy ride of amazingness is about to begin.

RC

So we left book one with the first thread of a bond, an allusion to Ellie's heritage, and lots and lots of secrets.

Book Two Plot Summary:
Betrayal of the acutest kind.
Doubt of a lover.
Death of a friend.
An unseen bond.
Religious Fanatics.
The answer to the question: Who is Elli
Kathleen
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book truly did amaze me. It was exciting, thrilling, emotional, imaginative and so much more. At the end of the book I had chill's all over and they actually stayed there for a short while, it was THAT good.

Those of you who like their romances with fantasy type paranormal elements with good verses evil would really enjoy this series.
Hanife

Bu yorum aynı zamanda Romancekolikte yayınlanmıştır.

Yorumumu okumadan önce ilk kitaptaki görüşlerimi okursanız, kurguyu daha iyi anlayacağınızı düşünüyorum;

Lord of the Fading Lands(Tairen Soul,#1)

Wow!

Kitap ilkine göre daha çok aksiyon, aşk ve entrika barındırıyordu. Dayanılmaz formülüm. :) Kızımız daha ağırlığını koyabilen, ne istediği bilen biri haline gelmeye başladı. E durum böyle olunca Eld'ler - kötü büyücü ırkı - şehirdeki tüm insanları Feylere - iyi büyü kullanan ırk - karşı döndürme
Ann
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IM SCREAMING OMG
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves romantic fantasy deluxe!
Recommended to Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
Reading for the second time...in a month AWESOME AWESOME BOOK and series! I thought the first book (Lord of the Fading Lands) was great, but this second one was even better. It put new meaning into the "could not put it down" category. If you love fantasy, magic, romance, action, intrigue and great writing then I highly recommend this book, and I am on to re-read King of Sword and Sky.

In the first book the Tairen Soul, Rain, king of the fey, literally dropped from the sky to claim Ellysetta as h
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

As the nobles of Celeria foolishly contemplate opening borders for the traitorous Eld, Rain must find a way to show that the Eld are still as evil as they were 1000 years ago and keep his soul mate Ellie safe. Ellysetta also has her own battles to face as she discovers her origins that have the power to turn her truemate Rain away from her.

This series just gets better and better!

Rain and Ellysetta are fast becoming one of my favourite romantic couples. What I like about their romance is that al
Wendy Higgins
These books. Adult romance. High fantasy. Amazing plotting and world building. I am just in awe.
Gemma
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I usually wait a day or two to review a book, just to get what I thought of it clear in my mind so that I can give a fair assessment of it. But I'm going to screw that and review this minutes after I've finished it, because all I can think right now is OMGTHATBOOKWASAMAZINGPLEASEIWANTMORE. :L

Honest to God, if anybody had doubts after finishing the first book, or is just thinking about reading this series, PLEASE DO SO NOW. :L
I have to say, the previous book, Lord of the Fading Lands, was a littl
Tom
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
I know that this series is hit or miss with people but it is an absolute hit with me and this book is an unwavering 5 that will go straight to the favorite’s shelf. It almost makes me want to change Lord of the Fading lands to a 4 just to distinguish how much better I felt this book was.

This book picks up where Lord of the Fading Lands left off. The romance dominates the story in the very beginning of the book and then there are multiple plot lines that spring up and the fantasy overtakes the r
Ian
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lord of Fading Lands

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson

Tairen Soul Book 2 or more accurately Tairen Soul Book 1, part 2 has Rain and Elysetta preparing for their impending marriage, while around them Eld mages are sowing discord within Celieria.

Plots abound within the Celierian nobles who are agitating for a treaty with the Eld while the peasantry are outraged over what they see as the fae killing Celierians.

The first half of Lady of Light and Shadows rates 2 Stars in my opinion. I think the author could have easily cut down
Barbara
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so here's my review for the first book in the series ("Lord Of The Fading Lands"). My review for the second is below...
"Watch out Kenyon...Wilson's out writing you. For the life of me I have no idea why Wilson's second book didn't carry the title "USA Today or New York Times Bestseller" on it. Come on people BUY HER BOOKS! I suggest you start with this one and continue on from there. The story is extremely complicated and oh so many yummy characters are introduced. The Gods smile upon commone
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
This is a combined review over the 5 books of this Series.

OK...so I read all 5 of this series non stop this weekend...

I just couldn't put this series down for the life of me.

Yes, it does drag on in parts and found myself skimming over paragraphs but overall this was a freakin fantastic series full of Fey, Dragons, Mages, Elves and so many other characters...but...

who won my heart??

Ellie - shit...she was a perfect main character and stole the book for me. From the beginning, the way the author de
valee
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I live. I fight. I bleed. I die For love. I am Fey."

I am definitely not a person who would deliberately kill another human being... but if I had finished book 1 and this one wasn't already out, I don't think I would have been able to prevent doing something I would regret in the future. NOT. KIDDING. But, lucky for me, book 2 was already out, so prison won't be on my horizon, lol.

While I got completely obsessed with this series from book 1, it took every other book in it to make me more cr
Roxanne
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Why did I wait so long to read this!?!?! This book was AMAZING! There were so many characters in this book I wanted to shake some sense into and that stunt Rain pulled near the end almost had me in tears. I swear if someone tried to take my ebook reader off me while I was reading this book I would have bitten their hand off or clawed their eyes out. I hope book 3 is as epic as this one.
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • The Mage's Daughter (Nine Kingdoms, #2)
  • The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)
  • The Brush  of Black Wings (Master of Crows, #2)
  • The Fire Lord's Lover (The Elven Lords, #1)
  • Scoundrel (The Blades of the Rose, #2)
  • Heart Duel (Celta's Heartmates, #3)
  • The Wolf (Sons of Destiny, #2)
  • Taunting Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #2)
  • The Star Witch (Fyne Witches, #3)
  • Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
C.L. Wilsons unique blend of pulse-pounding action, sweeping epic fantasy, and passionate romance has made her books a favorite read for romance and fantasy readers alike. Praised for exceptional worldbuilding and lyric prose, her critically acclaimed novels have regularly appeared on bestseller lists including the USA Today, the New York Times, and Publishers Weekly.

C.Ls novels have won numerous
More about C.L. Wilson...

Tairen Soul (5 books)
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)

“Ellysetta was sitting at the secretary in Rain's suite, penning a note to her parents, when Bel burst through the doors. The other members of the quintet followed so swiftly that all five warriors nearly ended up in a heap on the floor. They were breathless and flushed, perspiration trickling down the sides of their faces.
Kieran bent over, hands on his knees, and dragged air into his lungs. "Well done,brothers. We beat the smug chervil.”
"You all look like you could use a drink." Cool and unwinded, Gaelen smiled at the new arrivals from the sofa near the window. "Water? Or perhaps something a little stronger to help you regain your strength?”
12 likes
“Do you know how a pearl comes to be?"
"Oysters make them, from a bit of sand."
"Aiyah. From a bit of sand." He rolled the pearl between his fingers. "All pearls begin as something unpleasant that the oysters cannot expel from themselves, even though they may want to. So they embrace these things that will not leave them, shaping them and smoothing away the sharp edges, until over time, they make of these unwanted things great treasures.”
12 likes