Start by marking “Isolation” as Want to Read:
Isolation

Isolation

With masterful storytelling, Travis Thrasher draws readers into a novel so gripping it cannot be put down.
James Miller is a burned-out missionary whose time on the mission field in Papua New Guinea left him exhausted and disillusioned. His wife, Stephanie, feels like she's losing her mind. After moving to North Carolina, Stephanie begins seeing strange and frightening thi
Published September 12th 2008 by FaithWords (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Isolation, please sign up.
Anna Partially. Multiple characters narrate the book in third-person, but with first-person thoughts. Made-up example: "Jim stepped outside. 'God, please h…morePartially. Multiple characters narrate the book in third-person, but with first-person thoughts. Made-up example: "Jim stepped outside. 'God, please help me. I can't do this alone.' Jim kept walking through the snow." The thoughts are printed in italics, as per usual. Also, there are a few sections that are exclusively third-person, where the author describes the characters. Made-up example: "Jim and Stephanie lie in bed. They both feel sad." The narration jumps around and can be a bit confusing. (less)

Start your review of Isolation
Jackie
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural

I received this with I won another book on the Goodreads giveaway.
I didn't know it was a 'Christian' book; I'd already started and the author knows how to write and gives a good hook right from the beginning so I went with it.
Too bad I figured it out in under 30 pages. I had hoped I was wrong and the author gave me a false lead but no, it was as I thought. It wasn't too preachy early on but towards the end the author got his preach on full force and it became annoying. "Yes, I know, you only s
C.
Was like a cleaner version of SK's 'The Shining'. I liked where it touched on the missionary losing his faith on the mission field, which so often happens, but is a hidden fact. That why churches have to constantly recruit new missionaries!

Nice spookiness here.
Carol
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a chilling story of a families' terror in a giant maze of a house in the high mountains of North Carolina. isolation was a good title for this book as well as a spot on description of what was happening to to the family. Something isn't right in the big lodge house that was supposed to give them a fresh start. We know that they are not alone... and they know they are not alone...but they are unprepared for the terrible thing that is residing as yet unseen within the rooms with them. A bli ...more
Kit★
Dec 05, 2010 rated it liked it
This is really like 3.5 Stars. When I picked it up a couple years ago at Goodwill, I didn't know it was 'Christian Fiction', or I wouldn't have bought it most likely. But I was hooked by the back cover description, it sounded like it'd be a good scary story. Well, it didn't really fail in that. It was pretty well written, and had a few spooky moments, moments where I was wondering was the bad guy just a man, or something worse, a demon or something. All the faith stuff was most certainly front a ...more
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Travis Thrasher. After devouring this book in just over a day, he's definetly going to be on my radar from now on.

I like the type of horror or mystery that makes you think. Something that offers you hints as to what's going on or has happened, but doesn't have to rely on shock value or being overly graphic to get its point across. This book has that in spades.

In summary, a family of missionaries, after returning from a very hard mission overseas that was wrought with fai
Crystal
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
When I read the back cover copy for this book I knew it interested me. A family comes home from Papua New Guinea where something has happened. Since they have returned strange things have been going on with the wife, Stephanie. The missionary husband, Jim, has been really busy since returning and has kind of lost touch with Stephanie. Then the offer comes in to stay in a wonderful home in a secluded area of the Smoky Mountains of NC (my home state). Jim thinks this is the best thing that could h ...more
Sedge 李
Feb 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Ashley
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
WOW. This book sure does keep you interested. I couldn't put this book down. I finished it before a week was over. I never wanted to put the book down because I wanted to find out what happend on the next page! It definitely has its spooky parts! The author does a great job with describing things in the book. Great read!
Rebecca
Oct 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: quit-reading
I received this book from Goodreads. It came in a box of books that were given to me when I signed up to win a copy of The Heretic's Daughter. I got almost 100 pages into it and just wasn't interested. The Christian element was laid on pretty thick and the writing was choppy because it was mostly dialogue and inner thoughts. I decided I didn't want to finish it.
Jess
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book had so much potential ... and fell flat. The suspense was entertaining for a while, but the ending was such a disappointment. Overall, I wouldn't recommend it.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Warning: Do NOT read this book into the late night hours, it will seriously creep you out and make you wonder what every single noise in your house is, and making it extremely difficult to sleep without thinking about what you have read. If you love being scared right to the end of a great suspense thriller with a wicked twist, then by all means pick this one up. It was a rough night last night after I read it just before bed.

It is definitely a novel you won't be able to put down. From the firs
Cheryl
Dec 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A missionary family looks forward to a vacation in a magnificent lodge high in the North Carolina mountains. Life as a missionary is difficult under the best circumstances, but for the Millers it has begun to split their family apart. Haunted by the circumstances under which they left Papua New Guinea, things don't get much better when they arrive home, especially for wife and mom, Stephanie.

Nightmares have begun to haunt her sleep. Dreams become confused with memory, which meld with reality and
Katyak79
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't. This is not the first time I have randomly picked up a book at the library because it sounded interesting, and been sorely disappointed to find out that it's Christian fiction. Nothing against the genre, but from my experience most of it just comes across way too preachy and that was definitely the case here. The author writes well and the story had a lot of potential, but give it a rest already! At one point, the word God was used eight ti ...more
Nick Zelenak
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book I read was called "Isolation", by Travis Thrasher. I think this book would be considered a mystery because it makes you think about the plot and how the characters interact throughout different mind jogging events. What I think the author is trying to say in this book is ( and i know this a religious factor) is believe in god because he will help you in your time of need. I don't think that this is a story for younger kids because it has too much grusome and horrific events in it. So th ...more
Cara
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy a good suspense fiction book. For you adrenaline thriller junkies who always have to be on the edge of your seat, this is a must-read. It delves into the supernatural and shows that even when hope is gone and the tiny thread of faith to which you desperately clung snaps, God is with you and will see you through your turbulation. Stephen King and Peretti fans will love this one. Good job, Travis!
Debra
Oct 24, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a Christian suspense thriller. It is a great read, especially here at Halloween. Good versus evil is the plot. A burnt out missionary family takes a "repreive" in an isolated mansion in the mountains of North Carolina. They get more than they bargained for in the experience. For a little fright with a Christian view, this is a good choice!
Connie
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This is one of the more disturbing books that I have read, however I must admit it was hard to put down. I think it was because I needed to see if anything good was going to come of the events that were taking place. I thought this would be more in the suspense catagory, but there was a little bit too much horror it for my liking.
Andrea Balmori
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am not the type of person that enjoys sitting in the edge of the chair because of the suspense that a movie or a book makes you feel..
but this book was the exception, I have to confess that I bought it because of the cover, but I didn´t regret buying it. This book is awesome.. the twists in the book are perfect.. highly recommended.
Christie
Feb 21, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy the horror genre
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read over 100 pages, but I could not finish this book.

Nothing wrong with the book itself--it was very interesting and well-written, the characters were engaging and the plot really drew me in, but it was just too scary for me. Definitely scarier than any Peretti book I've read.
Laurie
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books-read
This book was really scary but enjoyable. I should have read the author's note about his growing up reading Stephen King novels.

I feel its comparable in Christian theme to Frank Peretti with the spiritual references - demons, possession, etc.
Robyn
Mar 11, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: put-aside
This book is SCARY!! I love a really scary book but I can't handle it when James travels. So it's on hold.
Karen
Jan 05, 2011 added it
Interesting for the first 2/3 of the book; then it got off track as far as I am concerned. It didn't seem to know if it was a serial murderer book or a Christian inspirational book.
Alyssa
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. A complete understatement, but "powerful story" is all I can think of when describing this book. This is the first Travis Thrasher novel I've read, and though it was a little slow until about the middle/towards the end of the book, the wait is definitely worth it. Mr. Thrasher describes the missionary family like real true Christians and not the "Hollywood" picture movies try to paint. Even the strongest of us Christians have doubts and questions and the Millers' struggles are no different, ...more
Elizabeth Sanders
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joshua
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't been a fan of any kind of "Christian horror" before. And I still don't think I am. Thrasher brings us fiction that's pumped full of true-to-life spiritual warfare; the kind that many of us don't see in life. The story is reminiscent of the case-studies we'd looked at in my Trauma and Recovery counseling course at DTS, particularly in relation to SRA (Satanic Ritual Abuse). The material is very disturbing, but the message is one of hope and faith in Jesus Christ. It makes for a difficul ...more
Bobby (getlostinabook)
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Isolation is my favorite book. I love the fact that it is just over 200 pages, but it still has a complex story line. Isolation is one of the scariest Christian supernatural thrillers out there. I love that the book focuses on missionaries and the spiritual warfare that comes against people in the ministry. This book has so many twists and turns it is sure to keep you entangled in its storyline. Even though the story is so dark it maintains a very strong Christian message. Isolation by Travis Th ...more
Jessica Haynes
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Even though this book carried a spiritual message and was largely about spiritual warfare (which I certainly believe in), it was a little too dark for my personal tastes.
Kimberly Mitchell
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was okay. It wasn't bad...it wasn't great. It was just okay.
Nora St Laurent
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I read in an interview with Travis Thrasher, that he likes to write stories that are all character-driven - he says "I like to write about main characters who are flawed. At the core, I want to write about real people who are searching, who are failing, and who are stuck in some drama which forces them to change." That is the main case here. The topic of this book is spiritual warfare - something that Frank Peretti first brought to our awareness in his books. Travis takes it up a few notches for ...more
Christie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Travis Thrasher’s novel Isolation is a sheep in wolf’s clothing. It pretends to be one thing, but it’s actually something very different indeed.

Isolation tells the story of missionaries James and Stephanie Miller. They’ve recently returned home from Papua New Guinea with their two young children, Zach, 8 and Ashley, 5. Something traumatic happened in Papua New Guinea and Jim and Stephanie are feeling disillusioned and isolated – from each other and from their church.

Jim wants to take some time t
« previous 1 3 next »

• Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • The Gospel Makers (DCI Webb Mystery Book 11)
  • King Solomon's Carpet
  • One Is One and All Alone (David Webb, #13)
  • Ghost Story
  • Malice In Miniature (Dorothy Martin, #4)
  • No Dark Valley (Derby, #5)
  • Murder in an Irish Cottage (Irish Village Mystery #5)
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2)
  • Marshmallow Malice (Amish Candy Shop Mystery #5)
  • The Winter Garden
  • The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • Hidden Depths (Vera Stanhope, #3)
  • Murder at the Brightwell (Amory Ames Mystery, #1)
  • The Stolen Letter (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #5)
  • The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2)
Bestselling author Travis Thrasher has written over 50 books, spanning genres in fiction, nonfiction and children’s literature. His inspirational stories have included collaborations with filmmakers, musicians, athletes, celebrities and pastors.

With the childhood goal of pursuing a writing career starting in third grade, Thrasher worked for 13 years at Tyndale House Publishers after graduating co

News & Interviews