Start by marking “A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)

A Time to Kill

(Star Trek: A Time to... #7)

On the cusp of their epic battle with Shinzon, many of Captain Jean-Luc Picard's long time crew were heading for new assignments and new challenges. Among the changes were William Riker's promotion to captain and his new command, Riker's marriage to Counselor Deanna Troi, and Dr. Beverly Crusher's new career at Starfleet Medical. But the story of what set them on a path ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 338 pages
Published August 2004 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Kill

Start your review of A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)
Dan
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek, tng
Very fast-paced and thrilling, A Time to Kill is a departure from a typical Star Trek novel. David Mack has his pulse on what makes a compelling story, and I found myself racing through the novel in a couple of afternoons. While the action is very well-done, it is not the only thing that A Time to Kill has going for it: the world-building and character work are similarly top-notch. The fact that this was David Mack's first novel-length Star Trek story is nothing short of amazing given the ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Sep 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Star Trek fans
Recommended to Kathleen by: Rupert Gilliand
My bookshelves have a range from horribly academic (theology, philosophy, literacy) through history, geography, humour, pop psychology, children's education, mythology, craft, novels (literary through to trash), you-name-it, and Science Fiction and Fantasy. The latter two SF&F) also range from almost-literary to nearly-trash. Where does this book fit in?

Well, it's not literary and it wasn't a challenge to read, but it WAS FUN. Of course, I'm a consummate Star Trek fan, and it has to be a
Jerry
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading this series makes me realize how much I missed getting my Star Trek fix! Seriously, it's that good!
Leland
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great series of Star Trek novels... Can't wait to pick these up again.
Elliot Weeks
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an action packed and excellently written book by David Mack. I decided to ‘double back’ and read the last three “A Time To...” novels because I know they are central to the overarching 24th century meta plot. As that is likely to be wrapped up with Mack’s upcoming “Collateral Damage,” I thought it would be good to check these out. I devoured this book quickly and joyfully. Mr. Mack found space in the seemingly relentless action for nice character moments that brought out the heart of ...more
Kai Knetsch
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was exciting to read this book because it was the first novel by David Mack that I've read. It also had the best reviews from the A Time To... series. And it was the first book I've read as an eBook on my new eReader. Maybe because of all that hype, it wasn't as amazing as I expected. It was still very enjoyable though. I liked the short chapters. I liked that it involved a lot of places and people. I was a bit surprised that Kinshawn managed to get away so easily without anyone noticing or ...more
Adam
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
David Mack's first foray into full-length Star Trek novel writing is a huge step up in standards for the struggling "A Time To" series.

The plot has huge scope and potential, tying in established 24th century continuity from all angles and placing Picard and the Enterprise right in the middle of the mother of all diplomatic crises. Attempting to prevent the hawkish Prime Minister of the Tezwans from provoking all out war with the Klingon Empire, Picard finds himself attempting to douse the
Sandra
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the story!
Nicky2910
Joshua Palmatier
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that this is the best Star Trek book I've ever read. I haven't read all of them, but I've read quite a few.

The premise is that during the Dominion War, the Federation armed the non-aligned planet Tezwa, on the Klingon border, with new weapons as a possible last-resort trap for the Founders and their army. Unfortunately, this arming violated the treaty with the Klingons, so it must be kept secret at all costs. But one of the political parties on Tezwa decides to use the weapons to
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Action packed from start to finish. The Enterprise is ordered to the planet Tezwa, who for reasons unknown to the general public, has picked a fight with the Klingon Empire. Prime Minister Kinchawn had his forces seize a Klingon colony near Tezwa and annex it. He believes the Federation will convince the Klingons to relinquish their claim on the colony because of the secret they don't want known. During the Dominion War, President Min Zife's chief of staff (a Zakdorn named Koll Azernal), placed ...more
Julia
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Trek series
Jesse Lehrer
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This one was far better paced than most of the series and therefore significantly better. Something new was happening every scene, it was just people's inner monologues repeating the same thing over and over. The political intrigue and post-dominion war context works very well - add some Klingon culture and politics into it and you can't really go wrong. The books are still nothing great, but if the series overall was more like this one it would be a great improvement.

Also a note, I feel like
Michael
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Imagine if Tom Clancy, at the height of his literary prowess, were to sit down and watch every episode and every movie of every Star Trek - then sit down and write a book set in-between Insurrection and Nemesis. I've heard a lot about David Mack, and a big part of the reason I'm going through these early books is to get to his Destiny trilogy, but despite high expectations, I was summarily blown away by A Time to Kill. Everything I could possibly want from a Trek novel - great character work, ...more
Bill
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Way back, when I mentioned on the Trek BBS that I was thinking of reading the "Time To..." series, a number of people said "just read the last three books." They may have been correct. I'm yet to see how this story finishes in the sequel novel, but so far I have found this the best of the Time To series. Mack is clearly a superlative writer, and it was a wise choice to bring him into the franchise.

While some of the other books in this series have been tough slogging through (boring plot, flat
Julenew
Sep 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Brian
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, trek, tv
I really enjoyed this book, it's probably my favorite of the series so far. It think it was because the book was more of an ensemble plot that focused equally on all of the senior Enterprise staff and made it feel more like a typical show. Just like the rest of the series, this is a two-book story though so makes sure you pick up A Time to Heal as well. The cliff-hanger here isn't quite a sheer as in previous books, but you'll still want to start reading the second book right away.
Angela
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A planet with a dictator decides to take a Klingon colony. The Enterprise is sent to try and stop a war. The Klingons are not happy. Picard and Worf have to do everything to stop this becoming a starting point to a Klingon Federation War.

This is a great plot that keeps you reading. It would have made a good film. I like the character development given to most of the main characters. How Data is coping without his emotion chip, Riker following his fathers death, and Worf deciding who he owes
Jimyanni
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
This is an excellent story, better by far than any of its predecessors in this miniseries. It is fast-moving, full of action, the characterizations are excellent, and the plot is not simplistic. I'm even willing to forgive it the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger, as that cliffhanger is only a subplot; the primary plot is, in fact, wrapped up nicely within the one book. This is how continued stories SHOULD be continued.
SA
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Mack has a real knack for writing ST books and spinning them so they read a little different than your average episode mission novel. This was no different--short bursts of action-oriented chapters, a surprisingly compelling political subplot, and a clever way of integrating Worf into an Enterprise-E story. I'm looking forward to the second of this duology, and then to finish this sub series.
Matt Piechocinski
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty good Star Trek book ... straight up adventure. I was a little worried, because typically I just read Peter David's offerings, but then I saw Mack actually wrote for DS9. I really liked this, and it's nice that the story just jumps into the action without being bogged down by the novel series continuity ... (it's thematic with about six other books).
Craig Andrews
Brilliant ! By far the best so far of the series. Section 31. Starfleet Intelligence. Worf kicking ass. Everything you want from a Trek novel. The main plot involves the Enterprise crew being split into 6 strike teams and having to attack six bases around a planet all in very different locales. Very very hard to put down and pretty mucgh a self contained book.
Rodney
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm giving it four, because of all of the books in this series, so far, I think I enjoyed this one the most. The other ones seemed to try too hard to make a good story, and this one seemed to come much more naturally. I'd like to give it a 3.5, but to harp on that little flaw in the Goodreads.com world would be monotonous for me! Read it if you like Star Trek!
Rosemary
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this better than any others in this arc of books. It helped that there was less Troi and Riker. Mostly, though, it greatly benefited from the presence of Klingons, because everything is better with Klingons.

Jeffrey
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent Part 1 in the multi-book A Time to... series. Worf is included and I enjoy that! Its storyline is fragmented in a great way. If you have a short attention span, it just might be your favorite book.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
I always wondered how "A Time to Cast Away Stones" would work in this series.
Jeremy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent fast paced and high octane book. I would say it’s the best of the series so far and I can’t wait for the conclusion
Crystal Bensley
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
There is some cool undercover infiltration stuff in this one but it just didn't grab me as much as I'd like.
Ossy
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: startrek
The series of "A time to..." are great!!!

• Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • The Captain's Oath
  • The Way To The Stars
  • The Antares Maelstrom
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Available Light
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • The Buried Age (Star Trek: The Lost Era 2355)
  • Elusive Salvation (Star Trek: The Original Series)
  • Superman: Up in the Sky
  • The Shadow Within
  • Ancient Blood (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Day of Honor, #1)
  • Acts of Contrition (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on

Star Trek: A Time to... (9 books)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: A Time to... #1)
  • A Time to Die (Star Trek: A Time to... #2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: A Time to... #3)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: A Time to... #4)
  • A Time to Love (Star Trek: A Time to... #5)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: A Time to... #6)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: A Time to... #8)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek: A Time to... #9)