Start by marking “Awakening Loving-Kindness” as Want to Read:
Awakening Loving-Kindness

Awakening Loving-Kindness

4.46  ·  Rating details ·  549 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Based on talks given during a one-month meditation retreat at Gampo Abbey, this book contains teachings that were intended to inspire and encourage practitioners to remain wholeheartedly awake to everything that occurs and to use the abundant material of daily life as their primary teacher and guide. The message for the retreat participants—and for the reader as well—is to ...more
Paperback, Abridged, 192 pages
Published November 5th 1996 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Awakening Loving-Kindness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening Loving-Kindness

Chris Ainley
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pema was my first significant step onto the road to enlightenment. To read or listen to her words is a pure joy. She possesses wit, charm and an abundance of knowledge while conveying the teachings. If you seek to devote your consciousness to enhancing your life and our world to a more blissful and compasionate level of being, I highly recommend all of her works for both the newbie and cultivated disciple. Your life may change.
Nancy
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read for the umpteenth time -- always by my bed. Wonderfully inspriring.
Heidi
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
wish more people read this one...
Aimee
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful little book that taught me a lot about awakening to true joy and kindness. The author uses very clear and easy to understand language to make her points, and though it is easy to read I found myself going over sections over and over again because they were so important. The use of everyday life experiences is stressed throughout the book to really find your true self and find joy. I know I will be coming back to this book often, I learned a lot from it.
Benjamin Bookman
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another neat little book from this series. Simple and easy to read. Very much enjoyable, makes you think, makes you smile, feels like you can learn something and read again for new depth. Its very clearly taken from oral telling rather than meant to be written, and so if it bothers you to read the transcript of a retreat that you didn't participate in, this won't be for you. Otherwise, totally worth the hour or less to read.
Shaunna
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Written in a conversational style with connections to everyday life. Great message of using mindfulness to center oneself amongst the chaos of life. I will use this book to inspire me throughout the new year.
Richard
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Each of her books have jewels of ideas and feelings ...
Heather
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just finished over vacation. Perfect book to recalibrate myself.
Arya
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned, buddhism
Of all the books I have read till date, this little 194-page long (pocket) book is the one that is closest to my heart. Started the book a little over a year ago, in November 2014, and it took me all this time to finish this quaint little book on Tibetan Buddhism and the ways to awaken your true self. The language is as clear and pure as mountain water. The clarity in the teachings is strong enough to weather any storm in your life.I recommend it to anybody and everybody, and especially to those ...more
Jason Marciak
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a reflection on what it is that makes a being what and who they are. It is more than a list of breathing and meditation techniques. Awakening to Loving Kindness is aptly titled in that it presents the reader to awaken to themselves. It is a wake up call to one's life and the possibilities and perceptions that living can carry inherently within. Love, anger, lethargy, a single breath, conscious and unconscious, all aspect of living are choices. This book taught me that each moment is ...more
Christine
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this about a month ago, and just discovered it wasn't on my list!

This miniature book is an abridged version of Chodron's "The Wisdom of No Escape." For portability, this edition is wonderful, but I would also recommend reading the original in full. She discusses the differences between our ideal and real selves, and to hear about the relationship between those two unreconciled points of view from a spiritual person's perspective is refreshing and precious.
Leah
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The pocket size is perfect. I keep this in my purse to read at times when I would otherwise be zoning out, impatient, texting gossip or some other unloving-unkind practice. I've been focusing deeply on cultivating metta in my life, so this book is a great little "stay mindful" companion.
Hector
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone who is searching to awaken their loving-kindness; their innate goodness. The book also helps to deal with life's difficult moments. I know I'll be reading it again and again. Thanks to my friend for sending me this book at exactly the right time I needed it.
Christopherseelie
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
A series of talks given over the course of a month-long retreat some 15 years ago, this book contains a lot of the foundations of meditation and frequent pitfalls facing the practitioner. Short, easy to read, and full of insight that can be directly applied to one's meditation practice.
Jim George
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
The kind of book that you leave on the passengers side of your car, and occassionally you pick it up and read for several minutes after you've parked your car. Nothing earth shattering found on these pages, yet the author offers reflective pleasant moments of repose.
Ellen Chamberlin
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
It ha practical stuff for people who want to help others. (U can't help others if You don't get very comfortable with all parts of yourself) i will think about this for a few days and read another Pema. She's for real.
Ray
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read this little book twice. The second time was almost as fresh as the first. A gem.
Mckinley
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, non-fiction
Small book format.
Lizpaints
delightful guide to meditation.
Shanna
Nov 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read a chapter from this book everyday. Everytime I read it something new is revealed.
Lauren
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a pocket book filled with good information. If you're there, you'll like it. If not, don't worry about it.
Amy
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great prospective on the practice of loving-kindness
Terri Taylor
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In my bathroom!
Marie Dotson
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this one again and again
Sara Foley
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Sometimes books come along that seem to speak directly to me; this is one of them. Beautiful, gentle, wise and humble, this book was exactly what I needed.
Katharine Holden
Interesting, but not helpful to me.
Cherie
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pocket guide full of some great stories, some from Trungpa, and great lessons for life. I use this book in my teachings a lot.
Caitlin
Feb 01, 2008 is currently reading it
Trying to save it for my trip to rural Alaska. Love Pema Chodron.
Isabelle
À lire et relire. Compagnon de route.
Eliane Keast
I have this in pocket size and carry it with me for reference.
  • Meditation in Action
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • The Big Questions: A Buddhist Response to Life's Most Challenging Mysteries
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three g
More about Pema Chödrön

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“Joy has to do with seeing how big, how completely unobstructed, and how precious things are. Resenting what happens to you and complaining about your life are like refusing to smell the wild roses when you go for a morning walk, or like being so blind that you don’t see a huge black raven when it lands in the tree that you’re sitting under. We can get so caught up in our own personal pain or worries that we don’t notice that the wind has come up or that somebody has put flowers on the diningroom table or that when we walked out in the morning, the flags weren’t up, and that when we came back, they were flying.” 0 likes
“Holding on to beliefs limits our experience of life. That doesn’t mean that beliefs or ideas or thinking is a problem; the stubborn attitude of having to have things be a particular way, grasping on to our beliefs and thoughts, all these cause the problems.” 0 likes