Start by marking “Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church” as Want to Read:

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  370 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Book. Publisher: Ignatius Press. Published: 2001. Comments: Soft covers, very good. Small piece cut from fly leaf. Pages very good with a few marginal notes. Binding sound and tight.
Published March 1st 2001 by Ignatius Press,U.S.

To ask other readers questions about Catholic Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catholic Christianity

booklady
Dec 28, 2009 marked it as recommended
Recommended to booklady by: Wanda Reed
It sounds good Wanda! Thank you!

In Wanda's recommendation, she wrote: "If you haven't read this, you might want to pick up a copy someday. I'm only on page 37, but I think this is a book I'll want to take notes on. So far probably everything Kreeft has said, I've read somewhere else, but I really enjoy the way he pulls so much of it together. He's somewhat irreverent at times, like he casually refers to God as "the Big Banger", lol. But I enjoy his frankness and humor."
Amanda
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A practical guide to the Catholic Catechism with no intentions to replace the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Peter Kreeft, a convert to Catholicism, offers great modern perspective in these well thought out descriptions of what is originally offered in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. May be read topically as well.
Michael Dendis
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Being a life-long Catholic yet wanting to learn more about my faith I found this book a while ago and finally read it. This is a excellent book that is a great catechism. It is divided into three parts: Theology, Morality & Sacraments and Prayers. Even being a "cradle Catholic" I learned some things reading this book. It has even made me more hungry to learn about the faith. This book is for anyone: Someone who is looking to become Catholic, someone who has recently become Catholic or someon ...more
Maria Hong
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm still in the process of reading this, but this is a great book that needs to be read by any practicing Catholic or anyone who is genuinely curious about the Catholic faith. Peter Kreeft explains and clarifies the faith and theory of Catholicism fairly well.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Gabriel Espinales
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Gives you an understanding of what a Catholic should be.
Mark Gibson
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly informative. A must read for anyone who wants to know about Catholicism.
Didymus Bibliophilus
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent catechism by Dr. Peter Kreeft, based on the official Catechism of the Catholic Church. Its apologetical tone would make it a great read for someone who wants to be convinced of their faith, not just to know what it objectively teaches. A great book to give someone interested in learning about Catholicism.
Landon
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kreeft's version of the Catechism is the best I have read so far. The CCC is notoriously difficult for the average person to read and understand. Catholic Christianity is not. Kreeft's lays out the Catholic faith in an ordered and logical manner, covering the content of the CCC as well as adding applications to modern day life and brief entries on Catholic/Christian Philosophy.
I give it 4 stars because it does have a couple of shortcomings. First, the purpose of this work is to explain WHAT Cat
Nathanial
Dec 26, 2010 added it
Shelves: apologetics
Kreeft posits that each religious tradition passes along a creed, a cult, and a commission--or a set of beliefs, a manner of practicing them in worship, and an ethics of enacting them in daily life. He then goes on to elaborate, point by point, on quotations from the Catechism from the mid-90s. He's not as objective as he would like to be, but at least he's clear in his positions.
Ash Pappas
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this for RCIA and it is wonderful! It breaks down the different beliefs in a more simple way. It's also really easy to read, and references the catechism a lot, and tells where in the catechism you can find more info.
Tara Lynn
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I decided to read this largely based on the horrific notion that after 16 years in several Catholic institutions, I had forgotten the Act of Contrition. It was interesting to remember how much Latin I had forgotten and to go over everything again from an adult's point of view.
Sam Fink
Oct 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the 'official' Catechism but provides a complementary perspective. My wife got this as part of her RCIA class and I decided to read it, partly during Adorations sessions each week. Worth the time.
Valerie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, catholicism
LOVED this book. Read it twice.
David
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok but a self study of RCIA. I preferred the actual classes. Not one of his best books.
Jacob Aitken
I am not quite finished readin this. Very entertaining and informative. I am not Catholic, however. I would have wanted him to dig deeper on a few social issues.
David Farel
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Remotely open-minded Christians
A very thorough, very good explanation of Catholicism. Perfect for anyone who wants to know what Catholicism IS and why. Also an essential apologetics reading.
martha
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Very readable and interesting for a catechism. I liked his explanation of alot of the doctrines.
agnes
Jun 09, 2007 added it
Shelves: faith
a must have for all catechists.
Jodi Tooke
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Peter offers tremendously helpful modern insight to Catholicism that often gets a bad rap as stodgy. With relevant examples and application to modern dilemma he shows how Catholicism really does apply to and inspire modern morality. A great supplement to the CCC!
Andreas F
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
Um grande livro que todo católico deveria ter.
Erika
Mar 13, 2012
Ronda
Aug 09, 2012
Marybeth
rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2014
  • Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Fides et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason
  • God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life
  • The History of the Catholic Church: From the Apostolic Age to the Third Millennium
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
Peter Kreeft is a Catholic apologist, professor of philosophy at Boston College and The King's College, and author of over 45 books including Fundamentals of the Faith , Everything you Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven , and Back to Virtue . Some consider him the best Catholic philosopher currently residing in the United States. His ideas draw heavily from religious and philosophical tradition, ...more
More about Peter Kreeft