Start by marking “Lily's Cat Mask” as Want to Read:
Lily's Cat Mask

Lily's Cat Mask

Armed with a vivid imagination and her trusty cat mask, Lily can take on anything--even a new school...

But when her teacher tells her no masks allowed in class, Lily worries, can she make friends without it?

Anyone who has been daunted by a new experience, or struggled to put on a good face, will relate to Lily. Whimsical art brings Lily, her father, and her new classmates
Published May 2nd 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lily's Cat Mask, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lily's Cat Mask

Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the illustrations. But I'm not sure it answered the question of whether she could make friends without it.
Cassandra Gelvin
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If she gets the rest of the outfit, she could be a superhero.

It's not as good as I'd like it to be; it doesn't seem to resolve anything and it kind of ends abruptly, but what is there is good. A little girl named Lily is shopping for new things with her dad because she's starting school, and she sees a cat mask and her dad buys it for her. She's really shy, so she wears the cat mask a lot: around around the house, outside, to the doctor, at parties, and things like that. She's basically hiding b
Tasha
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Lily and her father go school shopping, Lily isn’t sure she wants to go to school at all. When she asks her father to buy her a cat mask, he agrees and Lily wears it right out of the store. Lily wore the mask all the time, whether she wanted to be noticed or invisible, with friends or with strangers. She wore it to the first day of school, but her teacher only let her wear it at recess. Then one day at school, they had a costume party and Lily discovered another cat in her class!

This pictur
Nicola
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
With clinical anxiety and ASD sometimes the most important thing that helps our kids is feeling accepted and making friends with other kids who are on the same wavelength or accept them just as they are. I think the story did well looking at tactics that might be used in the classroom (like only being allowed the mask at playtime) and having a costume party so that they wouldn't be the only child dressed up. I like that she made a friend at the end.

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books an
Michelle Crosby
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the ultimate joys of being a grandparent is reading to your grandchildren. In the tradition of great storytelling, Julie Fortenberry seamlessly conveys her story to the mind of a child, who instantly engages in such a way that promotes shared storytelling and learning.

Lily's Cat Mask, both written and illustrated by Julie Fontenberry inspire imagination, creativity, and a yearning for learning. The style (word choice) and illustration so appeal to the child's sense of self.

Artfully and
Lynn
A number of readers will identify with the need to 'hide' at times, and this book may help them understand how to discern appropriate times to be part of the group or when it's OK to
I would ask readers, "What do you think would happen if Lily had not found another 'cat' in her class?"
After reading the line on the cover "Sometimes dads know best" I kept waiting for her dad to come back into the story. He did make her a costume when she lost the mask, but I don't see that fitting how 'dads know b
Senecca Fuller
This book has beautiful illustrations with pictures of the cat mask and Lily herself. I can relate to Lily because there are times where I do not want to be seen or want to go somewhere without something to help me. I liked that there is diversity in the characters in the story. The book also has an amazing plot of Lily losing her mask and her dealing with not having it during school. The ending was extremely cute and was in the complete ewe.
Samantha
While out shopping with her dad, Lily picks up a cat mask. It becomes her favorite thing and she wears it all the time. When school starts she has a little trouble with figuring out the appropriate time to wear it, but when her teacher gives her the perfect opportunity to enjoy her cat mask at school, she ends up making a friend with similar interests.

PreK-2.
Adrienne G
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a very sweet story and I am sure we can all relate to wanting to hide behind a mask... I feel like there was no clear resolution for young readers. Yes, Lily ends up finding another 'cat' and possibly a friend but I feel like there would need to be more discussion between child and adult to explain the message behind the story.
Kimberly
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
There are lots of kids like Lily, and this book will be a wonderful mirror for those kids and their experiences. Kids who wonder about kids like Lily will also learn something. :)

I have no idea why the cover of the book includes the subtitle, "Sometimes Dad knows best." Dad appears to be the only parent in the story, but his role is very limited--I don't even think he has any dialogue. Hmmm.
Lisa DeWaard
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a wonderful children's book. It's a very cute story and the illustrations are wonderful. I love anything with a cat theme as well. Shared it with my nieces and they thought it was fun and want to read it over and over. Highly recommended.
Mary
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Sweet, but I found it confusing that the teacher was introduced and then school disappeared for a few pages. I understand she was meeting her teacher BEFORE the first day, but that wasn't clear to me at first.
Amanda
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
On the cover "sometimes dads know best"...what? This really isn't the theme of the book. Good book, misleading cover not withstanding.
Tracie
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, all
School shopping with her dad, Lily finds a cat mask which she wears as much as possible.
M. N.
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A good story about being shy and finding friends.
Marcie
I like this for the preschool set and especially kids beginning preschool. Nice to have just the Dad and leave the audience wondering about the family.
Edward Sullivan
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Completely charming and reassuring.
Deborah
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet story, featuring a POC. Imagination, families, friendship, feelings are all themes that this book covers.
Mary Lee
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, picture-book, family
Pair with Dad and the Dinosaur for books with dads who help kids learn to be brave.
Amanda Coppedge
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matter-of-factly explores the fairly common experience of a child obsessively pretending to be something or fixating on a comfort object.
Cara Byrne
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A story about being comfortable in a mask - and eventually finding a friend. A family storytime read.
Yapha
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super sweet story and one that most children will be able to relate to! Some days I wish I had a cat mask...
Robin
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great book on several levels. Highly recommended for ages 3-6.
Mary Librarian
A shy child uses a cat mask to help her deal with starting school.
Paige intheBooks
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute. About imagination and feelings.
Colleen
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Grace
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet story! As a shy kid—and a shy adult, sometimes, too—I could totally relate. I loved the gorgeous illustrations and I can't wait to gift this book to everyone I know with young kids.
Beth
Jun 09, 2017
Carlotta
rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2017
Ranea
Nov 27, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Julie Fortenberry wears many hats (ahem, masks), but her favorite one is as an artist. Her artwork has been exhibited around the country, including at the Whitney Museum of American Art. Visit her at juliefortenberry.com and follow her on Twitter @childrensbook. Looking for First Day of School book? Find LILY'S CAT MASK here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...