Start by marking “Chocolate Cake” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake

When I was a boy,
I had a favourite treat.
It was when my mum made . . .

CHOCOLATE CAKE!

Ohhh! I LOVED chocolate cake.

Fantastically funny and full of silly noises, this is Michael Rosen's love letter to every child's favourite treat, chocolate cake. Brought to life as a picture book for the first time with brilliant and characterful illustrations by Kevin Waldron.
Published August 24th 2017 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate Cake

The Secret to Hummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHaleThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderThe Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. ReichertBuried in Buttercream by G.A. McKevettThe Cake Therapist by Judith M. Fertig
Cake
163 books — 32 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene CatlingSuperfudge by Judy BlumeThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyLike Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Candy Store
273 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Elaine
Michael Rosen confesses his childhood love of the delicious chocolate cake his Mum used to make make in this delectable, mischievous story. His greedy crumb by crumb midnight feast consumption of one such cake - and the consequences - is related to readers in Mr Rosen’s inimitable style, with wit and humour which are reinforced by the brilliant illustrations.

A tasty story which could prompt discussions relating to honesty, consequences and doing what is right . . . . I could easily imagine using
Producervan in Cornville, AZ from New Orleans & L.A.
Chocolate Cake by Michael Rosen. Illustrated by Kevin Waldron. 5+++ Stars. What a joyful story of a cute blond chocolate cake-loving boy who gets into mischief over a midnight snack! LOL funny. Loved the sounds! The illustrations are totally delightful. Its wonderful detail and color—mostly cozy and some dark and scary—make it highly appealing. Highly recommend! Thanks to NetGalley, Penguin Random House UK Children’s, and Puffin (how I do enjoy your books!) for providing this ebook for review.
Busy Mummy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true winner with my 4 year old. If he asks me to read it again, it’s a definite hit. Not only is it enjoyable for him to listen too but for myself reading this book to him, using lots of funny and silly noises to bring the book to life.

I would love to try this book out with a reception/ key stage 1 class because most children love chocolate cake, but to secretly eat the whole cake would be a dream to most children. Until after that is!

This story written as a poem would be a great addition to
Lily
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a nice read about greed.
It's the story of a little boy who loves chocolate and especially chocolate cake !

It was a pleasant read but I have to say the illustrations are not my favorite.
But the book is perfect for a "story time" because the illustration and story are complete with scrawled sound-effects and onomatopoeic bits.
Bec
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pretty funny and relatable picture book. I'm not a big fan of the illustrations in this one.
Michael Rosen tells the slightly humorous tale of the time he was a child and woke up in the night to look at the chocolate cake in the fridge and ended up eating the whole thing. I think the story tickled me because of the artful telling. It has an open ending sure to get kids talking about what happens next.

Lesson: resisting temptation
Grace
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Michael Rosen wrote this ode to chocolate cake. Originally this was a poem, but now it has turned into a picture book. This was a Honored Book for through the Children's Books Ireland (CBI) for Illustrations by Kevin Waldron. This book is useful in the classroom because it is a very silly, interactive, and amusing story. This story will produce laughter and language from children. Rosen's use of sounds and noises will really bring to life the book and get children interested in reading. This boo ...more
Jessica Cox
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Katy Noyes
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
True account of the author's childhood and a delicious chocolate cake...

I can relate. My secret shame was an entire bag of chocolate truffles though. Michael relates his childhood memory of his mum's delicious chocolate cakes, and how he couldn't resist eating a little of the leftovers... then a little more...

It will fascinate any child, hearing of an adult confess this to them, the greed, the disobedience, the possible consequences.

Rosen doesn't use rhyme or humour, he writes a straightforward
Nicole
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chocolate Cake by Michael Rosen is a short picture book about a boy’s love of chocolate cake. The boy ends up not being able to wait for his chocolate cake and this is the storm of his midnight chocolate cake feast. The boys mistake is that is does not clean up his trail of it. His mom figures out what happened in the end, which allows for a lesson on teaching children of being truthful.

The illustrations is great. The illustrations are unique. They appear to be hand drawn which helps the book to
Becky B
Rosen relates how as a little boy one night he snuck down stairs just to look at the chocolate cake leftovers his mother would put in his lunch the next day, and how that changed to just licking up crumbs on the plate, to getting caught in the morning with chocolate on his face and an empty plate in the cupboard.

Rosen leaves it up to readers' imaginations what his punishment was, but does clearly say he was being greedy. It's an all too believable childhood tale. Could be a good tool to talk abo
Lizzie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Chocolate Cake' by Michael Rosen is a well known piece of text to all primary school teachers already. After seeing it being brought to life by Michael Rosen himself in videos he's posted on YouTube, it's lovely to see it being illustrated by Kevin Waldron. The illustrations are fantastic with wonderful detail and colour which I know will engage children as well as adults! It adds another element to Michael Rosen's true story (one many of us can relate to). Thanks to NetGalley, Penguin Random H ...more
Bev
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michael Rosen is obviously a fellow chocolate cake fan and I could empathise with the little boy in the charming illustrations very strongly. Who has not been woken in the night by a craving for leftover food that you know is just waiting to be eaten in the kitchen? Not you? Ah well I recognise the urge to get up and nibble anyway! Couldn't help but hear Michael's voice reading the story in my head and with all the fabulous noises to make, this would certainly be perfect for reading aloud. Now w ...more
Eve beinguniquebooks
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a short picture book all about a boy's love of chocolate cake and having an insatiable appetite for it! Unable to get enough he tell of his a midnight chocolate cake feast, only not to clean up his mucky trail of it afterwards! Mum's always figure what happened after all!

Short and highly entertaining, it's a funny little book that will make young children giggle a lot as well as be drawn to the colourful drawings of his tale!

Many thanks to the publishers for allowing me to review th
Theediscerning
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
A young lover of chocolate cake eats a whole one at night - and that's it. The illustrations, complete with scrawled sound-effects and onomatopoeic bits, are very rough and ready, and so weren't completely to my taste. But the active layout and the very opportunity to make silly eating noises when sharing this little adventure with little adventurers is not to be forsaken - in its simplicity it should be right up their street. The book in a way is like its subject - easy, messy fun.
Rachel
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A book by Michael Rosen about stealing chocolate cake. What isn't there to like? The sumptuous use of onomatopoeia and descriptive language makes it a wonderful book to use in the classroom. Chocolate Cake would provide inspiration for children developing their descriptive writing. I love the way the typeface changes to enhance the descriptive words as they work seamlessly with the pictures. I love the expressive eyes, showing every emotion throughout the book.
Christina Reid
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
The poem is a clear favourite in my classroom and this book is lovely - it has cute illustrations and I like how the text is scattered across the pages. However, I don't think anything can compare to actually listening to and watching Michael Rosen performing this poem aloud! That is an amazing experience, to which the book, though nice, is a poor second.
Kate
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic story, tinged with a child's feelings of remorse. Filled with Rosen's trademark rhythm and word play.
Perfect for bedtime reading to younger children or independent readers aged 6+. Also recommended for class reading and circle time.
Tami
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun picture book that reads a bit like a stand up comedy routine. Michael Rosen is hilarious (as per usual) and we can all relate to chocolate related self control issues.
The ending fell a bit flat for me, but the rest of the book was strong enough to carry through.
Elaine Fortunka
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny

Excellent made me giggle and it has a good moral we would definitely recommend for all ages from 0 - 100
Indy
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
A story about a boy who loves chocolate cake so much that he sneaked into the kitchen at night and finished the whole chocolate cake on his own.
Keith
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, humor, poetry
Michael Rosen makes a humorous presentation of his poem "Chocolate Cake" to a group of children.
View it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wckNo...
Aymin Silva
A funny relatable story about a delicious chocolate cake. Great illustrations and an engaging use of text.
Melissa
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Takes me back to my childhood - and it's just as fun now. Great for reading out loud!
Carole
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
The children love it. My two-year-old joins in with the bit that goes "belly belly".
You can watch the author perform the poem here:
It is great to have the book so that the kids can practice reading it a la Michael Rosen.
Olga Kilicci
Jan 09, 2018
Giselle Hillman
Dec 18, 2018
Sarah Nielsen
Feb 06, 2019
Aug 29, 2017
Sep 01, 2017
Michael Rosen, a recent British Children’s Laureate, has written many acclaimed books for children, including WE'RE GOING ON A BEAR HUNT, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, and I’M NUMBER ONE and THIS IS OUR HOUSE, both illustrated by Bob Graham. Michael Rosen lives in London.