Start by marking “Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)

Dungeon Born

(The Divine Dungeon #1)

A powerful dungeon. A sheep-herder turned Noble. Their path to ascendance through cultivation. Conquering dungeons and using them to grow has long been the most efficient way to become a powerful adventurer. The only thing keeping the process from being easy is the Beasts that inhabit these places. Questions plague those entering this particular place of power: Where do th ...more
Published October 8th 2016 by Dakota Krout

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon Born, please sign up.
Dakota Krout It's not something I've fully looked into, though it is something I'm considering!
Edit: The audiobook will be out sometime after the new year!…more
Edit: The audiobook will be out sometime after the new year!(less)
Dakota Krout It took about 3-4 months of up to 8 hours a day/5 days a week for me to write it, but then I spent another month or so editing and expanding several p…moreIt took about 3-4 months of up to 8 hours a day/5 days a week for me to write it, but then I spent another month or so editing and expanding several plot lines. Hope it shows!(less)

Start your review of Dungeon Born (The Divine Dungeon, #1)
Cloak88
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd little LitRPG 3.5 stars

This is one of those novels that kind of celebrate being a RPG geek. As anyone who ever made a characters and entered a dungeon will know: Dungeons are weird.... Well if you think about it for a minute. Monsters who live without food, water or light, traps that work perfectly after eons without maintenance and high level loot that drops randomly from odd places.

Well this novel gives you all the answers you ever wanted. Meet Cal a baby Dungeonhart and our protagonist.
Esme
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

Bingo Squares: Debut Novel, Indie Author, Audiobook, Non human POV

I am burning through Indie Authors recently and I'm enjoying myself so much!
This book is going to be pretty audience specific, after reading Andrew Rowe's Sufficiently Advanced Magic and enjoying my first LitRPG I decided I'd check out some more.
If you enjoyed his book, you will probably enjoy this book, but be aware this leans way more towards RPG than mixed with epic fantasy like Rowe's book.

So, ya kn
Mike (the Paladin)
If (Like me) you're an old hand at adventuring...you've traveled multiple worlds in different universes fighting and conquering with different and varied groups of co-adventurers (or even on your own) then you've been there. You've spent many hours finding and disarming traps, searching for and finding secret doors while slashing through and slaying horrific and deadly monsters. You've tracked through the dungeons of Dungeons & Dragons, you've fought through the underground lairs in Diablo (not ...more
Lloyd
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Abandoned. I listened through six chapters (two hours). I just couldn’t get into it. Too silly for me, particularly the tedious mechanics and the dialogues between the dungeon and the sprite-or-whatever sidekick. The storytelling is painful enough to kill the interest of even the heartiest of adventurers.
Brendan Coster
So, maybe you know these people? They like to watch other people playing video games on youtube. Like to watch people doing their walk through... not because they're stuck int heir own game... but to watch... the game. It's a thing, btw. Okay, hold that.

Do you know the game dungeon keeper? If you do, that was more fun, but still, you get the idea. It's a game about being a dungeon heart and you get to control your minions and open up your dungeon and you are the bad guys killing hero adventurers
Gavin
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an OK LitRPG story. It was nothing special or standout but it was readable if not particularly exciting or memorable. It was a Dungeon Core style LitRPG story. I usually love Dungeon Core LitRPG but I think this one suffered a little bit for not being one of the first ones I've come across.

The story focused on two main POV characters. Cal, a newly born dungeon core, was the first POV. His character was mildly interesting as he had previously been a human but remembered nothing of his p
John
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: D&D Enthusiasts, Dungeon Masters, No one else
Recommended to John by: Stupid Amazon
I wanted to DNF this book. I almost DNF'd this book. I kept going back to it like some stupid guilty pleasure. It kinda felt like real role playing and I kind of liked that aspect. But this book has serious problems.

First, the writing is bad. Like really bad. It skipped from first person to third person constantly and mixed up tenses so often that I stopped counting the mistakes. Misspellings were rife. Mostly they were homophonic misspellings which is possibly even more annoying, whole instead
Bradley
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-shelf, fantasy
To be very, very clear, this is a precision niche reading experience. Within that realm, it is EXTREMELY fun.

So what is it? RPG in literature format. LitRPG, in short. And for all of us out there who DIE for pencil-and-paper adventures, immersive Skyrim-like game-playing, or just tongue-in-cheek min-max Dungeon Master setups, then this is ALL kinds of perfect. :)

Character development is lighthearted and secondary to the GOOD STUFF. What good stuff?

LEVELING UP, BABY! What goodies will we get, wh
Vincent Archer
An interesting take on Dungeon Keeper

As a fan of the original Bullfrog game (and sometimes of its various remakes or modern versions), I guessed I'd be interested in that book.

In theory, it shouldn't really work. The real reason it does work is that Krout is well aware of the conventions of the genre and the tropes, and he does apply them with gusto and self-conscious humor. Specially when they do not make sense at all, like when Dani insists that dungeon monsters have to be called "Mob" because
Cameron McAvoy
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Almost Good

The plot is reasonably interesting, but the world and characters are rather prosaic. The dialogue and personality of the two main characters, Cal and Dani are fairly weak. Side characters (*cough* Dale *cough) feel like one-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

I wanted to like it, but it was just okay. Not a page turner.

The sequel does have significantly improved dialogue and real personalities to the characters, if you can make it through this book. This book felt like it needed another dr
Clay Brasington
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Well worth the time and money

I had recently read another story about a dungeon intelligence and was reluctant to read this as it seemed a rehash of the other book.
Well I gave in an read this book and was blown away. A much better writing style with much greater character depth. I can't wait to read more

(FYI the other book was Slime Dungeon. I liked it but the main character was irritating some times.)
Chris Evans
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg, favorites
This book would make a really fun video game.

Dungeon Born is a charming book. For a story so full of death and pain, it's extremely fun and lighthearted. The book is about the forces behind the standard RPG Dungeons. Ever wonder why a leafer from Final Fantasy 6
(yes this is really one of the enemies)
is not only attacking you, not only is some how able to hurt your monster fighting character, but also drops money and healing potions? Well this book gives a really cleaver reason for all those. T
GaiusPrimus
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg
An interesting take on the genre. I've read The Slime Dungeon and this has some similarities. The advancement mechanics are different enough that it doesn't feel like a ripoff though.

It was enjoyable and interesting enough that I searched when the next one is supposed to come out, which I found that it's soon.

NAY Young
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you like litRPG or wuxia, you'll like this

Very reminiscent of Slime Dungeon, including the personalities of the Dungeon and his pixie/wisp. I enjoyed the supporting characters even more and the little side interactions are where this story really shines. Combat and such was rather standard and didn't hold my attention. Will definitely read the second book!
Lazybee
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a light weight novel. It does not pack an intense story or high level of adventure. It looks the litrpg novels from the perspective of the dungeon. This was indeed a fresh perspective. I liked the overall feel of the book and I enjoyed reading it.
Chikazaki
Nov 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
A comic book without pictures.
no suspense, nor climax.
95% of this book consist of explanations of the boring world building.
PickinDavis
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Love fantasy. Love RPGs. Made it 87% through and just couldn't handle the stupid anymore. ...more
Michael Campbell
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I tried not to take this book too seriously, but I was unable to get over some hangups to enjoy it. The characters were flat, the dialogue was mostly tedious, the world building was just big info dumps, and even though the characters were flat, there were still large character inconsistencies.

It's a cool concept, and there were amusing aspects and scenes. The negatives outweighed the positives for me, and I found myself relieved to have finished it when I was done and not caring what happens nex
Soo
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

3.5 upped to 4 Stars due to great narration by Vikas Adam.

It took a few tries for me to get into this book but I'm glad I kept trying. Lots of potential for chaotic good times in the plot. Going to see if that happens. =)
Robert A.
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Its been a fun read and the Author seems strongly inspired by asian light novels but it seems to serious at times. I cant get my head around a funny story beeing to serious at times. I enjoy serious storys with funny bits (The Spellmonger) but this was just not for me so enjoy, I wont read on
Jeffrey S. Samuels
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
different

I enjoyed the different viewpoint. It had elements of the type of fantasy I used to enjoy before urban fantasy became popular.
Dave Stone
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This time last week I'd never heard of LitRPG. Now Dungeon Born is my third venture into this genre (subgenre?) .
-About Dungeon Born, I can't tell if this is a great book because I fell in love with it and now I'm biased. Engaging characters, Novel premise, Great dialogue and banter, Humor from sensible chuckles to out right guffaws. To top this book's list of charms is world building. Amazingly consistent, balanced, fascinating world building.
Many other so/ so books have some of these ingredi
Tam
Dungeon Born is a LitRPG told from the perspective of the dungeon, Cal, and narrated by Vikas Adam. At this point, I was already sold and didn’t bother looking at anything else before I’d bought the audiobook expecting it to be nothing short of amazing. It did not disappoint. It was another one of those audiobooks where I did everything I could to find more excuses to listen to it. I enjoyed it so much that books 2 and 3 are next up on my to-listen list.

Dungeon Born actually features two differe
Justin
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Reads like a machine translation

While somewhat entertaining, the book reads like a machine translation of a Japanese or Chinese web novel. The cultivation grades is a straight copy from those books and is painful to read. It resembles watching characters in a video game level up more than watching organic people grow stronger or learn from experience.
Peter
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I decided on a whim to listen to this sucker because I had a free audible credit. No regrets whatsoever.

The plot was slow sometimes, especially when Dale's POV was rehashing information we learned with Cal. Information repetition made me very much dislike his character and dread his POV for most of the book. Toward the end I was far more entertained by him and lost the dislike.

Couple of loose threads. One notable one being the dungeon core color. It's brought up in the beginning and then never a
Everlaine (BookCaptain)
Another day in 2019 another litrpg.

Dungeon born is different from others in the genre I've read, instead of players stuck in a game it's just a fantasy world that has a magic system that is similar to levelling. But that isn't what made this book stand out, the great part about Dungeon Born is that we follow a sentient dungeon. Yeah you heard that right.

"Cal" wakes up and is essentially a newborn (but more like a 7 year old) and has to learn how to grow himself (the dungeon) and how to best ki
Kaila
The definition of ruining the magic by explaining something. I did laugh a few times - the meta-commentary on Dungeons and Dragons was entertaining. A few of my favorite lines (from memory, so they might be slightly wrong):

"I dropped three boots, all of them for the left. Maybe I am evil!"

"Cal, what level is he?"
"I don't know, all I am visualizing is a question mark!"

Every step of the way was described ad nauseam and it got very boring and repetitive.

I really liked the audiobook narrator, he did
Matthew Wentworth
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
DNF at 25%.

I've never been more shocked by the amount of positive reviews on Goodreads.

The concept for this book was novel enough, but my goodness, the writing was atrocious. It was like reading something written by one of the less talented high school creative writing students. Tense switches, random forays into passive voice, and no character development whatsoever.

The worst part, by far, was the dialogue. The generic, over-the-top, information dumping back and forth between the two main cha
Janet Martin
Apparently lots of folks loved this book--I just found it incredibly boring as the conversations between dungeon thing and the wisp went on and on. I think this was a lot like overhearing a carpenter and his apprentice spend 2 hours talking about the best way to pound a nail, and then go on to discuss pulling it out again
Katie
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
Wow. Just wow. This is the first book I’ve read in the litRPG genre. I love it. The series is amazing. Highly entertaining and hilarious. I love Cal and can’t wait to read more about him and his dungeon. A new favorite.

• Life Reset (New Era Online, #1)
  • Bibliomancer (The Completionist Chronicles: Wolfman Warlock, #1)
  • Ascend Online (Ascend Online, #1)
  • Catharsis (Awaken Online #1)
  • EvP [Environment vs. Player] (New Era Online, #2)
  • Cataclysm (Viridian Gate Online #1)
  • Axiom (Artorian's Archives #1)
  • The Land: Forging (Chaos Seeds, #2)
  • Alumni (Artorian's Archives #2)
  • The Land: Alliances (Chaos Seeds, #3)
  • Hobnobbing (New Era Online, #3)
  • Crimson Alliance (Viridian Gate Online #2)
  • The Land: Catacombs (Chaos Seeds, #4)
  • The Two Week Curse (Ten Realms, #1)
  • The Land: Swarm (Chaos Seeds, #5)
  • The Land: Raiders (Chaos Seeds, #6)
  • Dungeon Lord (The Wraith's Haunt, #1)
  • Life in the North (The System Apocalypse #1)
Dakota Krout - Author of the Amazon best-selling Divine Dungeon and Completionist Chronicles series

I live in a 'pretty much Canada' Minnesota city with my wife and daughter. Thanks to you, I'm now a web developer and computer programmer turned full-time author and indie publisher through my company, Mountaindale Press.

I started writing The Divine Dungeon series because I enjoy reading and wanted

The Divine Dungeon (6 books)
  • Dungeon Madness (The Divine Dungeon, #2)
  • Dungeon Calamity (The Divine Dungeon, #3)
  • Dungeon Desolation (The Divine Dungeon, #4)
  • Dungeon Eternium (The Divine Dungeon, #5)
  • The Divine Dungeon Complete Series (The Divine Dungeon #1-5)

News & Interviews

According to some historians, the month of April is actually named after Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, by way of the Romans....
“I’m a gem. I’m shiny.>” 0 likes
“or find themselves in a stairwell that had no exit at the bottom when I dropped a wall in the way and let them slowly suffocate. Good times. Well. For me.” 0 likes