Start by marking “See What I Have Done” as Want to Read:
See What I Have Done

See What I Have Done

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  9,170 Ratings  ·  1,956 Reviews
In this riveting debut novel, See What I Have Done, Sarah Schmidt recasts one of the most fascinating murder cases of all time into an intimate story of a volatile household and a family devoid of love.

On the morning of August 4, 1892, Lizzie Borden calls out to her maid: Someone’s killed Father. The brutal ax-murder of Andrew and Abby Borden in their home in Fall River, M
Published August 1st 2017 by Atlantic Monthly Press (first published March 28th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about See What I Have Done, please sign up.
Cassandra I just read We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few months ago, and while parallels didn't occur to me while I was reading See What I Have…moreI just read We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few months ago, and while parallels didn't occur to me while I was reading See What I Have Done...yeah, now that you mention it I can see it. I'd say the biggest difference is that See What I Have Done doesn't emphasize the reactions/suspicions of the larger community the way We Have Always Lived in the Castle does. (less)

James
4 out of 5 stars to See What I Have Done, a historical fictional account of the "Lizzie Borden Axe Murders," written by Sarah Schmidt and set to be published on August 1, 2017. Many thanks to NetGalley, Grove Atlantic Monthly Press and the author for providing me with an Advanced Review Copy (ARC) of this fantastic book.

Why This Book
I've become a NetGalley member and saw this in the update feeds of a few fellow Goodreads' members. I am fascinated with historical re-telling of real-life stori
Navidad Thelamour
See my exclusive interview with Sarah Schmidt about her novel See What I Have Done here!

Sarah Schmidt's See What I Have Done is a novel that has the advantage of having a truly titillating premise and a built-in fan base of readers who already know of Miss Lizzie Borden’s infamy:

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

If you’ve ever sung that “nursery rhyme” to yourself, you’re already at least a step ahead. See What
Amalia Gavea
‘’Should it matter when it happened?’’

I’ve always been interested in true and unresolved crimes cases and ever since I watched a documentary about the Borden murders, I try to read as much as possible about this strange, horrific crime. So, I eagerly started reading Sarah Schmidt’s novel which was highly recommended and which I found to be every bit as haunting, mysterious, gritty as the real story.

First of all, can I just say that we’re living in blessed times for us readers, because the plet
Jenna
I don't begrudge this book any of the love it may be getting, but I'm personally going to have to rate it two big handle-less hatchet heads Down!

I was absolutely obsessed with this book pre-release, loved everything about the concept, title, cover - I stalked the websites of two different library systems daily so that I could put a hold on the book the very moment one of them had finally ordered it. This is crazy behavior that fully deserves the 40 whacks of book disappointment I received.

Readin
Pouting Always
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lizzie Borden walks into the drawing room of her house one morning to her father's mutilated body and begins to scream out for the maid to come help. Soon after her stepmother's body is found upstairs and law enforcement is called into investigate. Lizzie's sister Emma has to come back home after finally moving away to try and create a life for herself independent of her sister. The book follows by re accounting the events leading up the day of the murders, painting a picture of a dysfunctional ...more
Mischenko
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
See my full review @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

I was so excited to start this book because I love retellings and honestly didn’t know the whole story behind the accusations of Lizzie Bordon murdering her parents with an ax in 1892. I decided to get online and read about the true story so that I would have an idea about what really went down that August morning in 1892.

The book starts with an introduction to that morning the ax murdering took place in Fall River, Massachusetts. Lizz
Susanne Strong
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars.

A family at its most dysfunctional. What happened is therefore, not exactly surprising.. Its retelling is however, brilliantly done. “See What I Have Done” is the historical retelling of the story of Lizzie Borden, by Sarah Schmidt. You’ve all heard the story:

Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her mother forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
She gave her father forty-one.

As we all know, Lizzie Borden was tried and acquitted for her alleged crimes because there was no hard evidence –
Cheri
!! NOW AVAILABLE !!

Australian author Sarah Schmidt’s debut is a clever, gritty, vision of one of the most infamous unsolved crimes of history, beginning on the morning of the murder, when Lizzie calls the maid, telling her:

“Someone’s killed Father”.

These things are true:

Lizzie Borden was born 19 July 1860 in Fall River, Massachusetts, she lived and died in that same town. Lizzie Andrew Borden, her full name, was tried and acquitted in 1892 for the murders of her father and stepmother in Fall
Hannah
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction
There are many good things in this book that would make this a great choice for a different reader. Sadly I am not that reader. I was super excited about this book - it was on plenty of people's "most anticipated" lists, both covers are absolutely stunning, and the bit of the blurb that I read sounded exciting. I had some misconceptions though: I did not realize that this book would be gritty historical fiction, I did not realize that Lizzie Borden was 32, and for some reason I thought it would ...more
Julie
See What I have Done by Sarah Schmidt is a 2017 Atlantic Monthly Press publication.

After seeing some reviews for this book pop up on Goodreads and realizing the book was based on the infamous Lizzie Borden murders, I knew I had to read it.

For decades, I have been fascinated by the Borden murders, never quite sure if I fully believed in Lizzie’s guilt or innocence. I’ve read true crime and historical fiction based on Lizzie or the murders in general. Some of these novels are quite convincing, f
Diane S ☔
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything before, fictional or not, about these murders though of course I have heard the rhyme. This is a very interesting take on the Borden family and the murders of the two elder Bordens. Emma, ten years older than Lizzie, a young woman who has had to take on the role as main confidante and caregiver of a younger Lizzie. She promised her mother on her deathbed and Lizzie took full advantage of this promise. Emma, though was not in the house during the times of the murders. L ...more
Hannah Greendale
Sluggish, flat, and ineffectual. Schmidt’s prose is awkward, and her slant on the Borden murders is soporific.
Carol
Axes....Murder....Multilation, and one Creepy Family....1892 Fall River, Massachusetts.

Sarah Schmidt does a great job of presenting this work of historical fiction about the life and times of Lizzie Borden complete with factual data and Creepy atmosphere.

As a matter of fact, the whole Borden family REALLY is a bit off, and it seems everyone dislikes.......well everyone including the maid Bridget who just wants to get the hell out of dodge, older sister Emma who desperately seeks separation from

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Ellen Gail
Lizzie Borden's story continues to fascinate me the world.

This is probably one of the better tellings of her story that I've read. Who cares if this book is fiction? It takes you there..in so many ways.

Way One: The author doesn't just shine a spot light on Lizzie. She takes the time to flesh out all the surrounding characters. You get a feel for the whole household. (And it ain't pretty)

Way Two: I thought the author had an unhealthy obsession with food at first. There are so many descriptions
Liz
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I think everyone knows the old rhyme about Lizzie Borden. But I would think that most folks, like me, never knew the actual facts of the murders. Well, this book sets out to tell the story of the days before, of and after the murders. The Bordens are just some strange people. No one really gets along with each other, let alone loves or cares for each other. Lizzie’s mental state is questionable and her character the most unlikeable. Emma is the only one for whom I felt any sympathy.

Each chapter
Susan
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.”

This debut novel fictionalises the infamous murder of Andrew and Abby Borden in 1892. The story is told from the point of view of Emma and Lizzie – Andrew’s two adult daughters, who lived with their father and stepmother, the family’s Irish maid, Bridget, and of a man named Benjamin, who is asked to accompany Emma and Lizzie’s Uncle John to the small town of Fall River, Massachuse
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
I really, really wanted to love this book. The synopsis sounds so cool, I love hist-fic (especially regarding famous murders), and the cover is gorgeous. I was so excited when I was approved for the ARC!

Sadly... I just can't do it. I tried really hard, but this writing style is horrible. I have never cringed so much in the first chapter of a book as I did in this one. I might try it again someday, but for now, I'm just going to have to DNF this one.
Ellen Gail
Surprise slam dunk of the year!

I am paralyzed. My brain can't deal with this right now. HOW DID I LIKE THIS SO MUCH? Like who gave this book permission to blindside me with so much beautiful weirdness?

This needs to be on your TBR.

See What I Have Done easily earns 5 stars, and may earn a place on my favorites shelf too. We shall see.

Are you familiar with the tale of Lizzie Borden? I feel like most people are, but then again, I try not to assume. Perhaps you've heard the schoolyard chant?

Lizzie B
Sarah Joint
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
description

I wanted to love this book, but it fell a little short. Like many people, I'm fairly familiar with the story of Lizzie Borden. I love creepy reads, so I was excited to begin this one. Very unique style of writing, but sometimes it actually felt TOO descriptive. My focus started to wane while I was reading as a result. I've never been grossed out so much by simply eating before. It is genuinely creepy though. Getting inside the brain of Lizzie Borden (and others) is very disturbing. The family is
Erin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars. Longlisted for the Women's Prize

Fall Rivers, 1892

This book started and my head became a whirling dervish because Sarah Schmidt lands readers right into the unsettled mind of 32 year old, Lizzie Borden. With her father and stepmother brutally killed and neighbors asking questions, the atmosphere about what could have happened in the Borden household continues to haunt many 125 years later. Schmidt adds the voices of the Borden maid, Bridget, older sister, Emma, and a m
Liz Barnsley
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. Insanely good writing. Review on hold until nearer publication. But put it on your wishlist would be my recommendation.
Emma
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was a struggle and far from a satisfying read. Sarah Schmidt is exceptionally talented when it comes to all the things you can see and hear and feel and taste. Your senses are battered by the book, so much so that at times you can feel it lodged in the back of your throat. Yet all the other essential bits that make up the narrative are disjointed and disappointing.

The four voices did not match their characters, this was especially evident for Lizzie. I had heard about the Borden murders pr
[p]aulie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it

after reading its final line i felt like the movie audience member who rises out of their seat, somewhat disappointed because they had been looking forward to the experience for weeks. what makes it worse is hearing eight separate sections of theatre saying, "oooooohhhhhh! that wasss crraaaazzzzzzzy!" essentially, i wanted the ring, but got rings.

most of the story lizzie came across as a ten yr old at best (she was thirty-two). where lizzie and i share commonality is through disconnect
Book Riot Community
It will surprise zero people to learn that I am obsessed with the Lizzie Borden and the axe murders of 1892, so when I heard there was a new novel about the case coming next year, I squealed and squealed. If you don’t know Lizzie Borden, she was the OJ Simpson of her time: famously accused of killing her father and stepmother, then acquitted after the century’s biggest trial, despite the overwhelming public opinion that she was guilty. (Basically, a jury of twelve men let her go because they did ...more
Debra
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Someone’s killed Father”

Someone indeed! Andrew and Abby Borden were murdered in their home on August 4, 1892 between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m in Fall River, Massachusetts. Abby was killed first and then Andrew. Their bodies were found in different rooms - Abby upstairs and Andrew in his office. Lizzie Borden was arrested for the murders and spent 10 months in jail and after an hour and a half deliberation, the jury acquitted her of Murder.

Most people have heard the rhyme:

Lizzie Borden took an ax
Emma
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, I'm not gonna lie, this caught my eye on NetGalley because it had a pigeon on the cover and—long story short—I really love pigeons and think they are underrated birds that deserve more love. When I read the description I was a bit confused about what pigeons had to do with Lizzie Borden, but super intrigued by the premise.

See What I Have Done is a fascinatingly twisted and beautifully written book. It tells the story of the dysfunctional family behind the real-life horror story, about the
Simon
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictionalisation of the tale of Lizzie Borden who many believe took an axe to her stepmother and father! Twisted and tricksy, darkly delicious read coming in May. Once you've entered 92 Second Street, Fall River you'll be gripped and won't forget it once it's over.
Lisa
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
First of all I was really looking forward to reading this book as the case involving Lizzie Borden was interesting , but the start wasn't gripping I found the characters boring & It never picked up at all.
The plot goes back & forth with multiple POV's I just couldn't connect with this one at all was way to slow for me.
Marialyce
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
In the annals of murder and horrific crimes, one that seems to have persisted through history is the story of Lizzie Borden and the murders committed when her parents were horribly killed by someone wielding an ax.

What Ms Schmidt has done in her novel is to try to work her way into the minds and hearts of the principal characters present in that event. What she has created is an atmospheric presence of both macabre horror and the development of the principal characters that is mesmerizing and f
Dannii Elle
This is my fifth book read in the Women's Prize for Fiction longlist. Actual rating 3.5/5 stars.

This is the re-imaging of the infamous Lizzie Borden, incarcerated for ten months for axing her father and step-mother to death and later released due to lack of evidence. This fictional recounting of the grisly, historical crime utilises the perspectives of Lizzie herself, as well as sister, Emma, their Uncle John, the household maid, and a mysterious (and completely fictional) stranger.

I begun my re
Around the Year i...: See What I Have Done, by Sarah Schmidt 3 27 Jul 17, 2018 11:59AM
Monday Night Book...: See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt 1 9 Jan 17, 2018 08:39AM
Sarah Schmidt is a Melbourne based writer who happens to work at a public library.
See What I Have Done is her first novel.

Sarah is currently watching:
Nathan for You
A shit ton of YouTube for 'research purposes’
Lady Dynamite (re watch)

Sarah is currently reading:
Cove - Cynan Jones

Last Read:
Hourglass - Dani Shapiro

Things Sarah has burnt this week:
Her face, cheese on toast

Sarah is currently listening

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Penmarric
    $17.99 $1.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Hippopotamus
    $9.99 $1.99
“The life I'd had was disappearing. Every adult who had ever held me as a baby was dead and no one would ever carry me again.” 3 likes
“How far a woman could travel if she really put her mind to it. And I put my mind to it.” 2 likes