Start by marking “Feelings” as Want to Read:
Feelings

Feelings

What you feel is who you are...Explore a world of emotions with this stunning peep-through picture book. Richard Jones' enchanting illustrations and the lyrical text make each and every feeling come to life to help children understand the emotions they experience.
Published September 8th 2016 by Caterpillar Books Ltd (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feelings

Start your review of Feelings
Phoebe Ledster
I used this book in my Year 2 class during a time of pressure coming from SATs and friendships within the class. We spent a lesson reading and exploring this book, talking about what we had read and seen and how that made us feel. It was fantastic! This book was a brilliant tool in helping the children understand their own and their friends' feelings. Also, it provided a good opportunity to allow the children to relax and practice some mindfulness. Just a brilliant and beautiful book that I ...more
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this!! <3
Joe Hayes
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible book. It explains so beautifully how feelings can, well, make us feel! The illustrations add the quality and gorgeousness of the book. I work with Post-16 learners with autism and associated learning difficulties and challenging behaviour. This book will be so helpful to use with them as it shows simply that no matter how you're feeling, it's okay to feel that way. What's even more amazing is that it is also appropriate for their age group, and it is so difficult to find books ...more
Hannah Rae
Absolutely in love with this picturebook, the illustrations are softly drawn and produced so they're not blinding to the eye, the language when describing feelings are very relatable, yet still conveys the message of not everybody's feelings are the same. This book will be extremely useful for children, especially those with difficulties in understanding feelings, expressions and themselves. Well done!
Al
This is a great exploration of feelings (and metaphor), but there's only one child featured throughout the book and it's a white boy. The design of the book is very cool with the cutout leading to that boy and there is some diversity on the last page, but I feel like this was a missed opportunity to highlight the last part of "Try to walk in someone's shoes to see how they might feel" by featuring different kids or maybe many kids with each emotion.
Christina Reid
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely book to look at different emotions and how they present - the perfect book to use with a young child or in a PSHE lesson at school. Gorgeous, soft illustrations!
This sparked a really interesting discussion with my class about how different emotions affect us physically and how people can react in a wide range of ways to the same stimulus. One I will use in my classroom again and again.
Meghan Douglas
Beautifully illustrated book explaining key feelings to a preschool/ early school audience. Great for teaching emotional literacy and features a male protagonist.
Suvi
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibby2016
Tunnekirjoja ei oikeastaan koskaan voi tulla liikaa.
Barbara
A die-cut on each page reveals the child at the heart of this book, and like most of us, that child struggles with various emotions. The gentle, rhyming text reminds readers that emotions are perfectly normal and that everyone feels angry, happy, alone, or jealous at one time or the other. Not only that, but each of us experiences those various emotions in different ways. By taking a step back and trying to understand how someone else might be feeling as well as getting in tune with our own ...more
Robin
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Feelings is a beautifully presented book. On each page, a separate emotion is detailed. Softly colored multi-part illustrations are visually interesting, and a cut-out section of each page lets the reader peek through to see an image of a young child. The general message that everyone has feelings and that we should attempt to understand one another is a good one.

This book does not work as a read-aloud. The rhymes are awkward. Although feelings are introduced, there are no coping strategies
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Feelings by Libby Walden, illustrated by Richard Jones. PICTURE BOOK. Tiger Tales, 2018. $17. 9781680100938

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

A child explores a range of different feelings.

Walden compares each feeling to something in nature, using a distinct color palette. The rhyming verses work well, but follow no particular meter scheme from line to line. A good springboard to a discussion about feelings -- what they feel like, how to recognize them, how to express
Erin
The illustrations, although softly colored and textured, fill the pages with emotions. The young person at the center of all these feelings remains (e)motionless on the final page while each feeling swirls around them. This sounds cool, but from a practical reading standpoint it didnt work out so well. As the reader I had to really work to hold the pages flat over that final page so we could see the person.

The descriptions of each feeling were more poetic and less straightforward. Beautiful and
Kinga
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dla_dzieci, 2019
Sympatyczna książka, która będzie idealnym prezentem dla starszych dzieci i młodzieży.

Rymowany tekst o uczuciach przybliży pociechom zrozumienie ich własnych ciał i tego, co przeżywają. Dzięki tej pozycji dowiedzą się, że smutek i złość to normalne, codzienne uczucia, które towarzyszą każdemu z nas a radość nie jest czymś, czego trzeba doświadczać dzień w dzień.

Całkiem niezła, choć jednak czegoś mi w niej zabrakło.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This book is a great way to show/teach a variety of feelings and how they are not visible on the outside. I LOVED the cutout of the boy/girl throughout the book. They stand there very still while experiencing each emotion. This would work best as a one-on-one story in order to appreciate the unique illustrations.

A word of caution; on the scared emotion page there are some silhouettes of monsters that might be scary to some children.
Laura's Book Addiction
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"For though you can't see them, Feelings are still strong and real."

Quite possibly the most perfect children's book. Me and my daughter adore reading Feelings at bedtimes. A must read for any children and adults can benefit from the story too. The illustrations were matched so beautiful to each feeling!! A lovely edition to my daughters book Collection.
Charlotte Rowden
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book that could be used as the basis for a PSHE lesson on feelings. I read this with KS2 children I was looking after in a boarding house when they were experiencing various emotions. It really helped to open up the conversations about how they were feeling etc. The artwork that accompanies the text is beautiful and the image of a child at the centre of every page is very powerful.
Nicola
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors

A nice book for talking about feelings that Miss 3 thought was okay (we've read lots of different ones on this theme).
Kelly
The author uses colors to explain many different feelings a child may have. I really enjoyed this book. It was written with words that will reach out to a child and help them to identify some feelings they are having that they can't put into words.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebook
Such a pretty cover reminiscent of Britta Teckentrup's covers. But the narrative is choppy and more a series of feelings than any kind of cohesive story that is just a little too wordy.
Bev
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and useful picture book that describes all the feelings a small boy may be feeling. Lyrical writing, soft toned illustrations and an intriguing boy shaped cut out on each page showing that all of these big emotions are inside this young person.
Vicki
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This feels more like illustrated poetry than a traditional picture book. The artwork compliments each feeling setting extremely well, and I could see this being a great tool for discussion between a caregiver and child.
Gwen
So often when I read books on feelings it includes the main ones like happy, sad, jealous, but I love that this one includes ones like brave, alone, and embarrassed. It would be a great one to read with an elementary class and then stop and discuss times when you've felt those different emotions.
Bethany
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
I really enjoyed the flow of the rhyming text and the clear sentiment that each different feeling conveys. The illustrations alternate between a patchwork of images and sweeping scenes that give deeper meaning to the feeling being portrayed. I can't wait to read it with my 6-year-old.
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, sw-resources
A unique concept that provides a range of interaction and imagination. A beautiful resource for work and home.
Linnea
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A good opportunity to discuss feelings with your kids, with some pretty pictures. Poetry descriptions, so requires some unpacking.
Kim
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, emotion, feeling
More for older kids because of higher vocabulary. Every two pages talk about a specific emotion. Beautifully done.
Edward Sullivan
Simple, lyrical introduction to emotions with die-cut illustrations.
Chrisanne
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked it much better than the similar Dr. Seuss book. It clarified what feelings feel like... instead of just associating them with a color. Worth remembering.
Amanda
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful art, stilted prose.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Sparky!
  • Cry, Heart, But Never Break
  • The Storm Whale
  • Kindness Grows: A Peek-through Picture Book
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Dragon Post