Start by marking “Infinite Stars: Definitive Space Opera and Military Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
Infinite Stars: Definitive Space Opera and Military Science Fiction

Infinite Stars: Definitive Space Opera and Military Science Fiction

A must have, one of a kind, definitive space opera anthology with 15 new stories by top contemporary authors in top franchises as well as classic genre defining tales dating back over 60 plus years. With an introductory essay on space opera by Grand Master Robert Silverberg.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Editor’s Note/Acknowledgements by Bryan Thomas Schmidt
Introduction by Robert Silver
Published October 17th 2017 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Infinite Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infinite Stars

Kerry
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, ebooks, sf, anthology, 8
I'll admit straight up that I bought this because it has a Skolian story by Catherine Asaro in it. I was going to jump straight to that story, but I found myself reading the introduction and instead, I slowly read my way through the book.

I skipped some stories as either being from a heavy continuity that I hadn't read before, or just because I'd consider the author and their series before and decided I wasn't interested. But I read a few I hadn't tried before, reread some I had read before and e
Mark
Mar 06, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of Space opera and Military Scifi that is is represented by these 24 short stories with an introduction by Robert Silverberg and his attempt to explain Space opera, perhaps I like it best described as soap opera in Space.

Fleet school: Renegat by Orson Scott Card
Fleet school, debuts in 2017, and this story is the first appearence in print of its protagonist, Dabeet Ochoa. It also stars Ender and Valentine Wiggin, and is a bit of murder mystery in colonial space written for this coll
deep
Sep 02, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
PW Starred: Space opera is celebrated in this capacious anthology with stories from a stellar lineup of its best contemporary practitioners. The 24 selections—which include classics from luminaries such as Robert Silverberg (who also contributes an informative historical introduction), Anne McCaffrey, Poul Anderson, and Cordwainer Smith, as well as 15 works original to this volume—illustrate the wide variety of themes that space opera can accommodate: galactic empire building across space and ti ...more
Margaret
Infinite Stars: The Definitive Anthology of Space Opera and Military SF is one of the best books that I have ever read. To understand that statement, you have to understand how deeply I love both space opera and military science fiction.

This collection of short stories & novellas has fourteen new stories and ten reprints. Of these, 15 were written by some of my already most favorite authors and I was introduced to an additional 8 new favorites. (One author I had read previously and was good,
Mark
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Infinite Stars is a mighty tome that has an ambitious purpose – to bring together a range of disparate worlds from Space Opera and Military SF into one hefty tome. The result is impressive, if not entirely successful.

I suspect that most readers are going to buy this because there’s a place here that they recognise. There are fourteen new stories and novellas, of some of the most well-known universes out there. The roll call is quite impressive. For example, there’s a new Honor Harrington Univers
Nate Thern
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
The contents are as follows (according to isfdb.org):
• 1 • Editor's Note and Acknowledgements • essay by Bryan Thomas Schmidt
• 3 • Space Opera: An Introduction • essay by Robert Silverberg
• 13 • Renegat • [Ender's Universe] • novella by Orson Scott Card
• 58 • The Waters of Kanly • [Dune] • novelette by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert
• 87 • The Good Shepherd • [Legion of the Damned] • short story by William C. Dietz
• 108 • The Game of Rat and Dragon • [The Instrumentality of Mankind] • (
Thomas
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Schmidt, Bryan Thomas, ed. Infinite Stars: Definitive Space Opera and Military Science Fiction. Titan-Kindle, 2017.
Definitive is a bit strong, but this is a very good anthology that represents most of the best players in military space opera. It has a very good historical introduction by Robert Silverberg and 24 stories by some of the best writers in the field. If you are a fan of the genre, you will find enough new stories and a few new writers to keep you interested. If you are new to it, you
Jonathon
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-part
Rating is for the following short story(s) that I read for a series:

Our Sacred Honor - Rating 4.5 Stars
(view spoiler)
Bill Bowne
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
For some of the short stories & novelettes, the reader needs to be at least somewhat conversant with the writer's universe. For most, though, foreknowledge isn't necessary (although if you don't have at least some background in science fiction, you may find things puzzling!).

Despite having been avidly reading Science Fiction since I was a child (I'm 64), even the older short stories were new to me and most were quite enjoyable.

Best of all, was the the Honor Harrington universe (the "Honorver
Anastasia Guiler
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok, when I first grabbed this book, I thought it was going to be your regular sci-fi short stories by some kick-ass authors. It was not...

Turns out this book is an ode to the space opera, but with the stipulation that ALL of the stories in the volume take place in worlds previously created by the authors listed. If, like me, you were unfamiliar with most of them, it was confusing and oft-times uninteresting. Not to say that there weren't any worthwhile stories, or even universes that I am intrig
Skylar
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
While there are some gems here (Reynolds' Night Passage, Smith's Game of Rat and Dragon, Okorafor's Bingo, Brackett's Stark and the Star Kings, Nye's Imperium Imposter, Bujold's Borders of Infinity), mostly these were far too military sci-fi, far too romantically- inclined (not sure why it goes with military sci-fi but it does), and far too little like short stories (most of the stories couldn't be appreciated without knowing the overarching series).
Kelly Wagner
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
More milfic than space opera, but something for everyone. some oldies - Game of Rat and Dragon has been one of my favorite stories since I first read it some 55 years ago when I was 9; my dad was something of an SF magazine hoarder, so I read much of Cordwainer Smith's stuff from the magazines where they were first published. Obviously tastes vary - nothing in the Enders Game series has ever appealed to me and the story in here is no exception.
Ron
If you are looking for a nice collection of space opera short stories, you have the right book! Infinite Stars has new and reprint tales of adventure, conflict, first contact and more by a number of well-known artists. A few of the tales I had read before, but others were new to me. Bryan Thomas Schmidt has done a very fine job of balancing story types and mixing classic tales in with recent series. Read up and get your space opera fix!
Keith
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Except for Linda Nagata and some older stories, disappointing

This collection had too many reprints and too many stories that were in the middle of existing series and were very weak if you hadn’t read those series. Some of the older, stand-alone stories are still excellent, and the standout new story was by Linda Nagata.
Jamie
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: unfinished
Total honesty. I only read the Orson Scott Card story. It was great. Definitely a read for any fan of the Enderverse. I didn't read the others because the were related to other books I've yet to read.
Jorg
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An excellent anthology of stories, both old and new, some old favourites of mine. My main interest here was the new Revelation Space story from Alastair Reynolds (and that one, by itself, gets 5 stars, filling an important bit of history for that setting).
Douglas Berry
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of grand space opera. Of course, any collection that includes The Game of Rat and Dragon, by Cordwainer Smith is automatically good.
Ryan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good collection of short stories
Susan Sarabasha
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Some excellent stories and novellas. Got me interested in several ‘new to me’ authors.
Lyle Blosser
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
excellent peaks into some favorite universes by their creators
Darren
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
It's rare that I find an anthology with so many stories in it that I like. This one was top-notch. Great selections of new and reprints. Highly recommended.
Viriam
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite an anthology, and quite a few stories. A few were duds but the majority were excellent reading, opening the door to explore wider full novels by some of the authors. recommended.
Conrad
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Fairly good collection, with some gems.
Diana
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some great introductions to series you may not have tried
Rebecca Baldwin
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed almost every story, which is unusual for an anthology. I've even got several new series that I want to try.
Patrick Mcnelis
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting trek into the minds of some favorite authors, and an introduction to some I hadn't read before.
Art
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A short story collection of one of my favorite genres from some of my favorite authors.

- recommended by the library newsletter.
John Anthamatten
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Most stories were quite good. There were some that were just too
“complicated” and I stopped reading within several paragraphs. The four stars was for the ones I enjoyed.
Jonathon D Scott
Nov 15, 2017
Bryan Schmidt
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Women of Futures Past: Classic Stories
  • A Call to Arms (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #2)
  • Gateways: A Feast of Great New Science Fiction Honoring Grand Master Frederik Pohl
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Novellas
  • Ambiguity Machines and Other Stories
  • Stranded
  • Agony/Ecstasy: 21 Stories of Agonizing Pleasure
  • Fountain of Age
  • Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #10)
  • Hardship (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #4)
  • Elemental Magic (Moon #6.5; Rai-Kirah #0.5 )
  • Loosed upon the World: The Saga Anthology of Climate Fiction
Bryan Thomas Schmidt is an author and Hugo nominated editor of adult and children’s speculative fiction. His debut novel, The Worker Prince received Honorable Mention on Barnes & Noble Book Club’s Year’s Best Science Fiction Releases for 2011. His first children’s books, 102 More Hilarious Dinosaur Books For Kids and Abraham Lincoln: Dinosaur Hunter- Land Of Legends appeared from Delabarre Pu ...more