Start by marking “Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)” as Want to Read:
Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)

Echo Park (Harry Bosch #12)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  36,904 Ratings  ·  1,506 Reviews
More than a decade ago, Harry Bosch worked on the case of Marie Gesto, a twenty-two-year-old who went missing but was never found. Now, with the Gesto file still on his desk, Bosch gets a call from the District Attorney: A serial killer has confessed. Did Harry miss a key clue? Or is something more going on here?

In 1993 Marie Gesto disappeared after walking out of a superm
Published October 9th 2006 by Little, Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Echo Park, please sign up.

Jesse All of the books in this universe are stand-alone reads but as others have stated, the previous books sure help with character development. It's a…moreAll of the books in this universe are stand-alone reads but as others have stated, the previous books sure help with character development. It's a very good book however you choose to read.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Janet Catmull It may have been nailed to the wall only at the top, becoming a flap. In the TV series it appeared that way. Hope that helps....

Saleh MoonWalker
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Onvan : Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #12; Harry Bosch Universe, #16) - Nevisande : Michael Connelly - ISBN : 316734950 - ISBN13 : 9780316734950 - Dar 405 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2006
Jonetta
Harry Bosch is now one year into his return to the LAPD out of retirement. He and Kiz Rider are partnered in the Open-Unsolved Unit, working cold cases. One of the them, the 13-year old missing persons case of Marie Gesto, has plagued Harry since he was originally assigned to the investigation. It's now red hot after a serial killer confesses to her abduction as part of an agreement to avoid the death penalty. Now he and Kiz have to determine if he's telling the truth.

Wow. Just wow. This story
Phrynne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Harry's at his best again, getting into all kinds of trouble, running headlong into danger, never thinking about other people until after the event. I love reading about him but I get why all the women in his life leave him too!
This is the second book I have read this week where we are positively falling over all the dead bodies. However this does make for exciting reading. I think Harry only kills one of them himself but he certainly causes several more. There's lots of interesting police work
Harry
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Time saver tip: if you've read my review of any Harry Bosch book, you've read 'em all. Since I don't reveal plots and reserve my comments to the overall book/author, characterization, style, etc...I just don't feel the need to repeat myself as in most cases series books if any good at all do remain consistent. The star ratings might change, but not my opinion of the series as a whole.

Michael Connelly is a well know and very popular author in the mystery/detective and police procedural genres. E
Carol
May 18, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction, series
The Hook - “I’m working my way through you Bosch.”

The Line - ”“It was the little questions that always bothered him, filled the hollow inside with dread.”

The Sinker - Echo Park was truly my favorite of Harry Bosch Series
thus far. Its excellent plotting, cracker-jack writing, the attention to details, all made this just what you’d expect in a crime novel.

Bosch is working a 1993 cold case, the disappearance of twenty-two year old Marie Gesto. The case is over ten years old but it’s one of those
Richard
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
8/10

"When you've read a bad book and you need a pickmeup, who ya gonna call? Harry Bosch!"

Not quite as lyrically poetic as the fine Ray Parker Jr, but you get the picture. I know I'm going to get a good read when I pick up this series. Bosch is well rounded by this stage, book 12 in the series, and you know his character and determination will see him through but Michael Connelly still throws in a number of surprises and intriguing plot points to make this anything but a paint by numbers crime n
Obsidian
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, tbr-2017
What can I say about Bosch at this point? This book gives you a great mystery, politics, and finally someone just calling out Harry for the crap he keeps pulling when it comes to always doing things his way and his whole damn the consequences thing.

"Echo Park" is the 12th book in the Harry Bosch universe. With Harry now back working Open/Unsolved cases with his partner Kiz, he feels better than he has in a while. However, one of Harry's past cases which has haunted him is coming back in a big wa
Deanna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5ish stars.

I read this series sporadically.

Sometimes I like them solidly. Usually I think they're good enough, readable, could be better could be worse.

I really enjoyed the brief Lincoln Lawyer series, but Bosch is one I always think, between readings, that I probably actually enjoyed more than I did.

I see so many people saying Bosch is their favorite detective. I think well, not bad, and I should give him more credit because he's a reasonable character competently written.

So by the time
Robin
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2017
Working in the Open-Unsolved Unit gives Detective Harry Bosch a chance to look into an unsolved case where he was the lead investigator. Thirteen years ago, 22-year-old Marie Gest walked out of a grocery store and was never seen again. Her car was found in the garage of an apartment available for rent. The District Attorney has now contacted Harry about the case against Raynard Waits. Waits was found driving around Echo Park with two bodies in the back of his van. In hopes of not getting the dea ...more
Cathy DuPont
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry, Harry, Harry. Will you you never learn to stay out of trouble? Oh...I get it. If you did I wouldn't have much to read about.

Hard to believe that I was thinking that book number one was the only one of the series I would read because I didn't particularly like Harry. But my buddy Harry R. (whose review you would want to read) encouraged me to read another, so I did. The end of the story? I got snagged, hook, line and sinker by Harry Bosch.

While I like to read a series beginning at the be
Jim
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another typical HB novel which means plenty of twists, Harry in the trick bag, & someone finally getting nailed. The repetition of the procedural style can get a little grating at times & some of the twists weren't quite as surprising. Normally, I'd mark down for that, but this is the 16th book in the HB Universe & the story still managed to surprise me a couple of times even with Connelly's masterful foreshadowing.

The characters were well done again. A recurring one made an interest
William
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great return to form for Connelly and Bosch.

I enjoyed this book version of Echo Park, somewhat different from the parts combined with City of Bones to create the superb Amazon TV series, BOSCH: A wonderful mix, refreshing and extremely well produced and written show.

I also enjoyed Rachel Walling a lot more in Echo Park. She is far more real, and involved, more alive. She contributes to the plot and solution convincingly. She has her own views, often different from Bosch, but able to
🔮⚡️Voracious
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Michael Connelly never fails to deliver. His Harry Bosch series just keeps getting better and better. Usually series tend to get a bit repetitive after so many books but not Bosch - the curve balls just keep on coming. Long may it continue.
jo
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
i want to say this book is okay, just okay -- good-ish story, good-ish characters, good-ish plot turns, good pace. bosch is a nice protagonist because he's haunted by demons and it's nice when your detectives are haunted by demons. it makes them look like the criminals they are pursuing, which is after all the whole premise of the genre.

(i hope i fed the right dog.)

it is not a book that deserves four stars because it's too improbable. that's a flaw in a mystery and it bothers me. so many myster
Richard Derus
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5* of five

This is #12 in the Harry Bosch series of mystery/thrillers, and it's the last one I will be reading. I just got worn down by the sameness of it all. It's what makes series books appealing, on the one hand, that comfortable familiarity; but too much of it loosens my grip on the give-a-damn lever.

Now that Harry's in the unsolved crimes unit, he runs across a 13-year-old case of his that's bugged him and worried him because he feels sure there's something he and/or his partner m
❆ Crystal ❆
Another 5 star book from Michael Connelly. Another Harry Bosch installment that kept me on my toes the whole way through. Of course I got it wrong... no matter how hard I try, I can never pin the bad guy. Harry Bosch is awesome as always, but I wonder if Rachel was right at the end. What choices will Harry make next in his life? WOW is all I can say.
David
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Echo Park" is a true return to form for Michael Connelly, after a couple of good, but not great books. I tore through this book in about a day and a morning -- it was that hard to put down. If you decide to read it, make sure you have some time off!

There are three threads to this book that Connelly weaves together masterfully, always playing fair with the reader. There is an unsolved murder from 1993 that has haunted Harry Bosch since then, with a possible suspect still roaming free. Bosch beli
Dagny
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: connelly-michael
The Open-Unsolved Unit is a perfect fit for Harry Bosch, the quintessential dog-with-a-bone detective. In Echo Park, Harry is finally able to work full-time on a case which has haunted him for over a decade and which he had revisited many times over the years.
Lili  Marcus
RATING: 4.5/5 Stars

This is actually 12th in a 21-series but each can be read as a standalone as each story features one crime story being told by the infamous Detective Harry Bosch. At least for those who know Connelly, Harry is indeed well-known.

Anyway, Echo Park is about an Unsolved case that Harry just couldn't let go even after he retired and then got back in the service. A 22-year old woman named Marie Gesto gone missing and was never found except her neatly folded clothes inside her car. N
Maddy
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Harry Bosch, homicide detective
SETTING: Los Angeles
SERIES: #12 of 18
RATING: 3.75
WHY: Now working in Open/Unsolved (cold case), Harry Bosch has periodically reviewed the files on a woman named Marie Gesto who disappeared 13 years earlier. Now there's a perp, Raynard Waits, who is confessing to her murder, as well as to the murder of several others, most likely to make a deal with the authorities. Waits is in the process of taking them to Marie's body when he manages to escape, killin
Moonlight Reader
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: w-o-b-b-l-e
One of the stronger installments in the series, IMO.
Gary
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 12th book in the Harry Bosch series.
Another faced paced page turner and plenty of suspense.Trouble certainly follows Harry Bosch.
Armin Hennig
Lesevergnügen fünf Sterne, Plotsubstanz drei Sterne. MC backt sein Harry-Bosch-Rezept inzwischen viel routinierter, aber auch mit weniger Überraschungseffekten. Die Handlung an sich entspricht einer durchschnittlichen Psychopathenfolge einer gängigen Fernsehserie, wmöglich hätte es auch für einen Zweiteiler gereicht, aber alles in allem ist MCs Erzählkunst größer als sein Einfallsreichtum.
Aber vielleicht macht auch dieses ständige Bestätigung von Lesererwartungen für die Fans den Reiz der Reihe
Ms.pegasus
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Michael Connelly
Shelves: fiction, thriller
LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch's strengths and flaws are writ large in this procedural thriller. Bosch's strengths are tenacity and sound gut instincts. The problem with instincts is that they can be swayed by emotions, and Bosch is a man with strong emotions.

One of the unsolved cases in his career was the disappearance of a young woman named Marie Gesto in 1993. Her car was left in a vacated garage space but the body was never found. For 13 years Bosch had thought intermittently about the
Jane Stewart
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
3 stars. Not as good as other books in the series, but I enjoyed it all the way.

STORY BRIEF:
Marie Gesto was killed thirteen years ago. Bosch suspected someone but could never prove it. Now a serial killer named Waits has been arrested. He says that he murdered Marie in addition to others. Waits is willing to take authorities to Marie’s body, in return for a deal. Stuff happens. Things get complicated. Rachel Walling (FBI) helps Bosch.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I find this average for this author, but a
Freda Malone
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
These novels just keep getting better and better. Bosch is back and working cold cases with Kiz Rider, an old team mate from years ago. Marie Gesto is another cold case (over ten years)that will stick to your ribs. A clue pops up in the murder book that wasn't there before has Harry scrambling to find out if it was his mistake or something that just got missed. Bosch is forced into a political triangle between the prosecutor (O'Shea), the top cop (Olivas) who is initially in charge of the case, ...more
Ginny Pennekamp
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'd never read a Michael Connelly before, so I picked this up to find out what he's all about. And although I liked his day-to-day LAPD detective vibe, I'm not a fan. A few things Michael Connelly phones in:

1) Names. Seriously, he is the WORST namer of all time ever. There's an Irving J. Irving. A Rick O'Shea (get it? Ha ha), and most egregiously, a CHAReese Witherspoon. This book is like way down the Harry Bosch line, and yet Michael is still really, really proud he's named his main guy Hierony
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
What if you could solve a case that has been on your 'unsolved' list for over thirteen-plus years? Would you jump to solve it? What if the key to solving it, to putting it away, lay in accepting the confession of a serial killer to that and ten other murders? Oh, but there's a hitch. No death penalty permitted for any of the 11 homicides. Still want to take it? This is the issue that faces Bosch in ECHO PARK, as LA gears up for election season and everyone is out stumping.

Bosch hears the confess
Lori
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could not stop reading this book. It is a shorter book so it is a pretty fast read. I have never read a book in this series before and had no idea it was a series. Connelly did a great job of writing the book since I felt I understood the character Harry Bosch pretty well and this was apparently book #12. He didn't keep repeating anything in order to try to make sure the reader understood in case they have not read the whole series like me. He writes in a way that the character shows who he is ...more
Anna
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2011
I should quit reading Harry Bosch books out of order. Such as first reading The Overlook, then this one... when in The Overlook there were a number of times references what happened in the end of this one.
A solid Harry Bosch story, and it lacks the annoyance elements of the Overlook.
But slightly too predictable in some ways (after reading all but one or two books in Bosch series). Slightly too bizarre.
But I craved for a Harry Bosch as a break from Jo Nesbø, and I got what I wanted.

A hint for th
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 10 10 Feb 26, 2017 11:24AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 7 9 Feb 26, 2017 08:58AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 6 6 Feb 26, 2017 08:50AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 5 8 Feb 26, 2017 08:45AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 5 5 Feb 26, 2017 06:24AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 5 6 Feb 26, 2017 06:21AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 5 7 Feb 26, 2017 06:20AM
  • Chasing Darkness (Elvis Cole, #12)
  • Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5)
  • Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)
  • The Naming of the Dead (Inspector Rebus, #16)
  • Purple Cane Road (Dave Robicheaux, #11)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache
More about Michael Connelly...

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00