Start by marking “Rare Breeds” as Want to Read:

Rare Breeds

Aurel and Zora Schwartz are a married couple trying to make a modern relationship work. But an old secret is going to affect them in ways neither of them can imagine. And Zora’s daughter Livie may find herself caught in a trap built long before she was born. The ending will leave you stunned and speechless. Get ready to scream.
Published October 13th 2016 by Dark Silo Press

To ask other readers questions about Rare Breeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rare Breeds

Frank Errington
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Review copy

This is the third time I've read and reviewed a work by Erik Hofstatter and truthfully, I haven't exactly been effusive in my praise of what I had read to date, but let me tell you. This time Erik has hit a towering home run. (OK, I read Rare Breeds during the MLB Playoffs).

Rare Breeds is a novella length book. A quick read. One I finished off on a quiet October afternoon.

Aurel, Zora, and Zora's ten-year-old daughter, Livie seem normal enough, but the more we learn about Aurel, the hu
The Grim Reader
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think that this is my third review of a book by Erik Hofstatter in as many months and ‘Rare Breeds’ has Hofstatter’s stamp all over it; Nice easy writing, sprinkled with some beautiful passages, a couple of kinky scenes and of course some twisted horror. One thing I like perhaps more than anything else about Hofstatter’s writing is his ability to surprise, to surprise in a way that each of his releases is so different from the last and ‘Rare Breeds’ is another fine example of his work.

I love E
Angela Crawford
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author for review purposes. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this anthology. I did not receive any form of compensation for my review.

Rare Breeds is twisted, or maybe Erik Hofstatter is. Either way, with Rare Breeds he shows us what a good thing that is when it comes to horror. With a knack for writing characters that are all too realistic, sometimes irredeemably flawed yet still sympathetic, in situations that are intriguing and horrific. To
Nev Murray
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Did I get what I wanted from him in terms of a return to what he writes best?

You bet I did."

See here for the full review:

Charlie' (MyBooksAreCorrupted)
"Where do they keep the freaks then? Perhaps they use his striking good looks to lure people in?"

This is the story of Aurel and Zora Schwartz, a married couple that are trying to make their marriage work. Livie, Zora's daughter and Aurel's stepdaughter also lives with them, she has a good relationship with her stepfather. But old secrets could come back to haunt this family in ways you won't expect, and an ending that will leave you speechless.

This is the second Erik Hofstatter book that I've
Paul
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
We’ve all been envious of another person at some point in our lives. You’ve looked at someone and thought “They’ve got it all sorted. They have the perfect life, the perfect family”. No doubt, part of you has wanted to be just like them. The thing you must remember is that the socially acceptable face of a person is little more than a thin veneer of civility. Inside, in the dark recesses of the human psyche, everyone is just as screwed up as you are. Everyone has issues, has skeletons in the clo ...more
Dawn
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this! First I have read of his work but looking forward to many more. This was a very creepy, surprising read. So grateful for my horror community where I learn about great authors like Erik Hoffstatter!
Tina Marie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

A story for horror readers. Full of wit, horror, mystery, and a wee bit of erotica. Twists and turns you WON'T see coming. Spookishly delicious, brilliant writing, great story telling by Erik Hofstatter. Looking forward to reading his other book.
Terri  Deming
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You're mind may never be the same...

Sit back and make sure that you are comfortable as you allow this engrossing tale to gently penetrate into your mind. Don't forget your teddy bear and blanky for snuggles, for once Mr. Hofstatter is done with you this time, you are going to need them.
Stephanie Wytovich
A great read, full of suspense and shocking twists. I couldn't put it down!
Andrew
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
In Rare Breeds, we meet Aurel and Zora, a married couple living in Kent in the south of England. They live with daughter, Livie, Zora’s child from a previous relationship. Like most couples, they have their own idiosyncrasies and interests, but they get along well. Livie is a moody teenager, Zora obsesses over health and fitness, and Aurel has a problem with sleepwalking. As we join their story, the sleepwalking is developing into more of an issue.

In this book we have a small number of character
Gavin Jefferson
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really twisted. I enjoyed it!
Eddie Generous
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review

Rare Breeds by Erik Hofstatter is a quick read and pacing rolls along, picking up speed until hectic. Set in the dreary household of a working class family: a mother, a stepfather and the daughter. For the purpose of the story, the daughter is almost like a pocket watch, taken out now and then to gage the elements. Of the three main characters to this this tale, she’s the least rounded –moody, unsure of herself, easily grossed out.
The other two aren’t as vague.
Mother wor
David Dubrow
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Erik Hofstatter’s Rare Breeds is a short read at 74 pages, filled with the sorts of things a reader can come to expect from a Hofstatter story: graphic sex, violence, and vivid descriptions. It relies on a Shyamalan-style twist to tie the story together, but is tripped up by a series of character decisions that spoil the credibility of the narrative.

Aurel, the protagonist, is a sleepwalker, which would be acceptable but for the time that his wife Zora finds him in her young daughter Livie’s bedr
Tamara

• Expulsion
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • Black Widow, Volume 2: No More Secrets
  • Misery and Death and Everything Depressing
  • Evil Thirst and Creatures of Forever (The Last Vampire, #5-6)
  • Flashes
  • We Are Young
  • Countless
  • Whitby After Dark
  • The Rebel's Sketchbook
  • Twisted Wing
  • The Blood of Before  (The Bones of the Earth, #0.1)
  • Flesh Eating Zombies and Evil Ex-Girlfriends
  • The Horror Movie Society
  • White Walker
Erik Hofstatter is a dark fiction writer, born in the wild lands of the Czech Republic. He roamed Europe before subsequently settling on English shores, studying creative writing at the London School of Journalism. He now dwells in Kent, where he can be encountered consuming copious amounts of mead and tyrannizing local peasantry. His work appeared in various magazines and podcasts around the worl ...more