Start by marking “Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)” as Want to Read:
Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)

Read Book

Tyrant's Throne

(Greatcoats #4)

After years of struggle and sacrifice, Falcio val Mond, First Cantor of the Greatcoats, is on the brink of fulfilling his dead king's dream: Aline, the king's daughter, is about to take the throne and restore the rule of law once and for all.

But for the Greatcoats, nothing is ever that simple. In the neighboring country of Avares, an enigmatic new warlord is uniting the ba
Published June 6th 2017 by Jo Fletcher Books

To ask other readers questions about Tyrant's Throne, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sebastien Castell Great question. I've kept the Shan a bit shadowy thus far as the focus of the first Greatcoats series was firmly on Tristia itself. Most of the…moreGreat question. I've kept the Shan a bit shadowy thus far as the focus of the first Greatcoats series was firmly on Tristia itself. Most of the countries I create for my books are blended ones – places where two or more cultural groups have mixed together over centuries rather than being homogeneous in practices or outlook. It's entirely possible that the Shan will feature prominently in a subsequent series of Greatcoats novels as a nation that had, for a very long time, predicted and anticipated the eventual collapse of Tristia – something that the Greatcoats managed to forestall in the first series.(less)

Melanie
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

ARC provided by Quercus in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Traitor's Blade ★★★★★
2.) Knight's Shadow ★★★★★
3.) Saint's Blood ★★★★★

“What do you call a judge sitting on a throne? […] A fucking tyrant, that’s what.”

I've been staring at this word document for far too long, because I simply do not have the words to describe how much I love this book and this series. Nothing I could say, and no word combination I could created, would do this series justice, but I suppose I should at least try.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
OMG!! This book made me cry in sad ways and in happy ways!

This is the best book of the series to me even though it's the last book and I loved them all. I can't believe it's over. It just can't be over. Not with that ending. I want more =)

I will always love the boys: Kest, Brasti & Falcio. Their banter is the best ever in the books. And I was thinking I might not like this series. Here is some advice, don't think, just read, because you never know.

"My name is Kest Murrowson, a magistrate
Petrik
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Swashbuckling fantasy fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Eon ♒Windrunner♒
4.5/5 Stars

Here lies the end of my journey with the Falcio, Kest, and Brasti and let me tell you, it ended with great satisfaction.

If Saint’s Blood was the climax to the series, Tyrant’s Throne is the great epilogue to the series. Everything comes down to this installment. Falcio val Mond is on the brink of fulfilling his dead king’s dream, there’s only a few more obstacle to go through before he achieve it and did he succeeded? Well you have to read it yourself to find out.

This is the last boo
Emma
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone shush now,’ I said... ‘I’m about to be impressive.’
This from Falcio near the start of the book, but it could just as easily have been Sebastien de Castell himself. This was an outstanding closure to the series. Here is the bigger picture of Falcio's world with wider scope and bigger questions. Politics and philosophy take centre stage which lends a gravitas to the series I haven't felt in it before.
The character development is truly outstanding. This is not the story of perfect heros, b
Orient
Here it goes, I finished this book at last and don't want to review it. How do I feel? Tired, frustrated, happy, disappointed and ranty for sure. Like :)

Yes, that's my true form, deal with it! :)

I wonder

What happened to my fave series? I didn't find a proper connection to the characters, the narrative felt a bit scattered. What happened to great nasty villains? Why didn't some great characters have a proper time and chance to show their greatness? Why instead of having a great time reading, I fe
☽Luna☾
2.5/5

"Fuck anyone who ever doubts the purpose of daring acts of heroism"

Tyrants Throne is the last addition to the Greatcoats Series. I think it is a very average conclusion to a good series. I found myself writing down all the things I hated about this series instead of the things I loved. So prepared yourself for a ranty review, because let's be honest this novel left a salty taste in my mouth. My main issue with this series is how overhyped it is. Please everyone calm the fuck down, this
Bookwraiths
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths.

Few series transcend their genre, bring readers of differing tastes together to brave dangers along behind its heroes. But when one does, this saga finds itself held up as an all-time great; descriptive terms such as the matchless, the peerless, the unparalleled pinnacle of the genre, and other even more flowery terms thrown around. At the end of the day though, what brands a series as a timeless classic is how it is remembered going forward, especially how man
Samir
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep this short and try to explain my (unpopular) rating.

I wish I enjoyed this like the most but this book, like its predecessor, simply didn't work for me. This felt like I was reading the same book for the fourth time; same situations, same conversations, same plot twists and that took away the fun.

My biggest issue with this series is Falcio. I got tired of being in his mind and looking at the world through his eyes and sometimes I wished he wasn't a part of this story which leads me to K
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats #1) ★★★★★
Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats #2) ★★★★★
Saint's Blood (Greatcoats #3) ★★★★★

A stunning conclusion to a superb debut series that will leave you with a sense of both poignancy and profound contentment.

Tyrant’s throne always had a steep mountain to climb, having the burden of following the act of Saint’s Blood which culminated in an epic showdown for our stabby trio (view spoiler). Fortunately, the
Petros Triantafyllou
I have to admit that when I first-started this series, I wasn't the biggest fan, but times change, and people (change) with them. Greatcoats is now one of my favorite series of all times.

It's been years since Falcio Val Mond, the First Cantor of the Greatcoats, first-discovered Aline, his long-dead King's daughter. The time to fulfill King Paelis' dream has come, and Aline is closer than ever in taking the throne and restoring peace and law throughout Tristia. But when news arrive from their ne
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
What to say about this final installment in the Greatcoats quartet except that it was a very satisfying conclusion. We have our hero Falcio:

His buddy, Brasti, arguably the best archer (and wannabe pirate) in the world:

(I know he's not holding a bow, but that gif reminded me of him.)

And Kest, the former Saint of Swords:

(He's the serious one, but that gif reminds me of how Kest might physically look.)

I really love - ADORE - the friendship and loyalty of these three. The humor that was missing from
Michael Britt
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"In an unjust country we are all nothing but victims, and the best we can hope for is one chance to prove ourselves, to turn our death into a sacrifice for what we believe in rather than a fate that was set upon us."

photo jonsword_zpsqtt5nek3.gif

I am yet again blown away by de Castell's work. I think it's safe to say this is my favorite out of the series. I don't cry real tears often (I do get choked up a lot), but he managed to summon quite a few tears from me. Like a lot. That's not an easy thing to do. But I would say
TS Chan
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Tyrant's Throne was one of the most satisfying endings to a series that I've had the privilege of reading.

At the start of the series in Traitor's Blade, we have this trio of best friends; magistrates called the Greatcoats, or less affectionately known as Trattari, scorned by the people of Tristia and on a mission to further the obscure plans of their executed King in honour of his dreams of a better country. While the previous book, Saint's Blood, was amazing, it did digress from this ultimate
Mayim de Vries
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
“Preposterous heroics are the only things we’ve ever been good at.”

This is a minus five stars read. I struggled with this series so much, it easily hits the top three worst ever fighting The Faithful and the Fallen for primacy.

If not for the buddy-rant, I wouldn’t have made it. And perhaps I should have abandoned this series two books ago but I’d stubbornly hoped that it would turn around. Instead, it got worse. I know it is a well-liked series, but I'm not in this crowd. Here comes the dispatch
Stefan Bach
"Screams, shouts, whispers, laughter… the human voice is capable of a remarkable assortment of sounds when words fail us, when reasoned, ordered thoughts cease to mean anything in the face of a world turned upside down."

Ahhhhh, good day to you worthy Fellow Traveler.
Please, please, come closer…

description

Too close. A little too close.
There.
Welcome to Tristia, a world of misery, of corruption, and the finest excitement a fantasy novel can offer you today, come on down!
Look at this. Yes!

Tristia, a
Gavin
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This fourth book in Sebastien de Castell's once fun Greatcoats series is the dreaded Series Killer.

Series Killer: A book so bad it destroys any positive feelings one might once have had for a series!

For me there is nothing more disappointing than a once enjoyable series going bad. When one reads a bad book it is annoying but easy to dismiss. When a once loved series goes bad it is so much worse as one has an emotional tie to the characters and story. When it all goes wrong it makes the disappoi
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/06/06/...

It is no exaggeration when I say that a series like the Greatcoats only comes once in a lifetime, and now that it has come to an end, I am filled with a mixture of complicated emotions. On the one hand, I am extremely pleased with the conclusion, with our heroes and heroines getting the satisfying sendoff they deserved. On the other, I no longer know what to do with myself. Like many goodbyes, this one was bittersweet, and
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Loved it!! I'm debating between 4.5 stars or a solid 5 stars (plus an add to my all-time favorites shelf.). What a killer conclusion. :)
Robin (Bridge Four)
Dan Ha Vath Fallatu

description

Endings to series you enjoy are bittersweet and I would say that for me the end to this was probably just a little more bitter than sweet. I’m still really mad about that one thing that happened SdC you know what it was.

At the end of this you will definitely know:

- Who is the ruler of Trista.

- How Falcio managed to beat Kest in a duel.

- How to hold a conversation using grunts and moans while being beat up.
There’s an art to taking a beating. Lying there on the ground a
Dana Ilie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Greatcoats is one of those rare fantasy sagas that just continues to get better with each instalment - an even more impressive feat when you consider Saint's Blood was a book I didn't think could be topped.

I felt it got off to a slow start, and I convinced myself it was lacking any sort of direction. It was simply not the book I expected to follow the killing of a God. I mean, honestly, how do you follow that up?
And then we got to the other side of the mountain, saw what - and, more importa
Samantha
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 LOVE. So much love for this book and this series! So sad it's come to end but it seems like we'll see more Falcio, Kest and Brasti in the future!
UPDATE: This is $2.99 on Kindle today (Dec 11) for those of my friends who have not read it!!!

Do you know what's worse than having to wait months or years before the next book in a series is coming?

Knowing that there isn't another coming.

I'm in shock right now. I'll probably cry myself to sleep tonight. Because it can't be over.

It. Really. Just. Can't. Be. Over.

I know. There is an art in knowing when a series must end. There is a point where it must stop. A series can't be drug along unceremoni
Mike
Review for Traitor's Blade here
"Review" for Knight's Shadow here
Review for Saint's Blood here

It is always sad to come to the end of great book series. de Castel populated his world is a great cast of characters with complex motivations and personalities that I have great enjoyed getting to know. The series as a whole was an excellent yarn of a small band of idealists trying to mend their country back together in spite of the enormous odds stacked against them.

Taken as one continuous story we ca
Twerking To Beethoven
(for some weird reason, GR ate my review. Anyway, here it is again. YOU CAN'T STOP ME, GR! YOU JUST CAN'T, HA!)

It's over and I WANT MOAR!

I remember picking the first book of the series, Traitor's Blade, roughly a year ago. I went into it and, to be perfectly candid, I wasn't really expecting too much. I was like "Ok, nice cover. This might be at least decent. Hopefully." Boy, was I wrong! The book turned out to be an extremely satisfying read. There were badassery aplenty, a good shot of humour,
Bradley
This was an extremely entertaining end to this amazing quadrilogy. We went through hopelessness and idealism and amazingly horrible odds and through every book, wonderful snark, action, and suspense.

I think I can rank this whole series up there as one of my absolute favorite fantasies ever. Why? Because it's effortless. A truly wonderful read. And the author has the ability to tear tears from my cold, humorless eyes. ; ;

The big things that happen in this book are somewhat scaled back from fighti
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 2.75*
Book 2: 4.5*
Book 3: 4.25*
Book 4: 3*

If this hadn't been the series finale I might have quit this book after the first 100 pages. There seemed to be no point to the scenes and they could have been cut and paste from previous books. They could have been reduced to 5 pages to set the scene for where the characters were heading and this would have had a much higher rating.

The second hundred pages things got on track. Then pages 200-425 were so fricking good, and so utterly sad. Heartbre
Jessica (JessicaReads)
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal conclusion to this series!!! Although, I do have to admit, it tore my heart from my chest a few times.

One of my favorite things about this series was that every installment had its own completed story arc that played so well into, and carried on, the bigger story arc of the entire series!!

I am a sucker for great characters and the characters in this series were just EVERYTHING. They all had so much depth, including the side characters, and regardless of whether I felt love or hate,
Marielle
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-own
The perfect ending... I will write my thoughts later on, but I loved it!
Terence
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-and-galleys
Just as Falcio val Mond is about to fulfill his dead King's dream of crowning his daughter Aline, trouble rears its head again. The monstrous Trin has reportedly reappeared in the neighboring country of Avares with a horde of their warriors at her back. Falcio, Kest, and Brasti head North only to find even more trouble than they anticipated. Falcio finds himself torn between upholding the law and following the King's dream.

Tyrant's Throne is the worthy conclusion to the Greatcoats series. There
Andreas
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was at the very last chapter, I had just a few pages left, but I didn't want to finish it. I didn't want this book, or this series, to be over. No other books have managed to grab a hold of me and squeeze this hard before. No other books have made my feel this much before. I feel as if these books were made for me and I for them.
Now it's all over, and I feel empty. Goodbye, my dear tattercloaks.

I'm not crying, I swear.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tyrant's Throne [Feb 28, 2019] 45 33 Mar 25, 2019 04:50PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tyrant's Throne 13 13 Aug 03, 2018 04:27AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Tyrant's Throne 88 113 Sep 02, 2017 07:23AM

• The Fall of Dragons (The Traitor Son Cycle, #5)
  • The Revenge of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4-5)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Blood and Tempest (Empire of Storms, #3)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • A Blade of Black Steel (The Crimson Empire, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter  (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Mortal Bond (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #3)
  • The Iron Jackal (Tales of the Ketty Jay, #3)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Legion of Flame (The Draconis Memoria #2)
  • The Night of the Swarm (The Chathrand Voyages #4)
  • The Fifth Empire of Man (Best Laid Plans #2)
Hi Folks!

My eighth novel, SOULBINDER is in stores in the UK & Australia, coming soon to North America.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree i

Greatcoats (4 books)
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
“Everyone shush now,’ I said, taking a step towards the guards. ‘I’m about to be impressive.” 11 likes
“Never trust a man who brings a hundred soldiers to a wedding” 5 likes