Start by marking “7 Ate 9: The Untold Story” as Want to Read:
7 Ate 9: The Untold Story

7 Ate 9: The Untold Story

(Private I #1)

6 has a problem.

Everyone knows that 7 is always after him. Word on the street is that 7 ate 9. If that's true, 6's days are numbered. Lucky for him, Private I is on the case. But the facts just don't add up.

It's odd.

Will Private I put two and two together and solve the problem . . . or is 6 next in line to be subtracted?
Published May 16th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about 7 Ate 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Ate 9

Start your review of 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
Sheri
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun play on words and a little math humor too! Cute set-up as a detective story that seeks to solve the mystery of the age-old question "Why is 6 afraid of 7?"
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Even though my nephew called 7 Ate 9 the math book, he still had fun. :)

Word on the street is that 7 ate 9!
And now hes after me, said 6.

Well, technically, hes always after you, I said.
Theres 5, then 6, then 7.

7 ate 9 is a fun play on words with a hard-nosed, old school detective voice and mystery. The case of the missing number nine has Detective I (*giggles*) hitting the streets asking numbers and letters what they know and what theyve seen.

Did 7 really eat 9? Are 6s days numbered? Jump in and
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Private eye I (yes, that's his name) must solve the mystery of the missing 9. This is a book to read slowly, chuckle, and then read again. Anyone who loves wildly delightful word play (and number play, if there is such a thing) needs to read this one.
Skip
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Chock full of puns by Tara Lazar and clever illustrations by Ross McDonald, this book turns the age-old joke of "Why was 6 afraid of 7? ... Because 7 ate 9" into a mystery that needs to be solved by Private I. Not sure why we needed any other letters in this book about numbers though.
Bookishrealm
This book was HILARIOUS! From the cover I had no idea that I was going to enjoy it. It came out in 2017, but it definitely has an older look to it. I've heard the jokes that go "why was six scared of seven? Because seven ate nine." I was really happy to to see that this joke was the basis for the book. The play on words literally made me laugh out loud. I enjoyed the fact that the author decided to include numbers as well as letters. I think that this book does attest to the fact that sometimes ...more
Abigail
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Pun Lovers / Picture-Book Readers Who Enjoy a Good Mystery
That alphabetic investigator, Private I, receives a visit from a distraught numeral 6 in this punny picture-book mystery. The rumor is that "7 ate 9," and 6 worries that he's next. Private I immediately sets out to investigate, soon discovering that all is not what it seems in the world of numbers...

I found 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story to be an absolute hoot, enjoying all of author Tara Lazar's many clever puns, and finding illustrator Ross MacDonald's accompanying artwork well-suited to the humor
Beverly
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pbf-general
As good as Tough Cookie by David Wisniewski. "Hard-boiled" detective fiction for the picture book crowd, featuring letters, numbers, and loads of puns.
Brenda Kahn
Read this punny mystery with your best "Just the facts ma'am" voice. Younger kids might not get much of the humor but middle school kids will.
Jasmine
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid, punny entry in the Picture-Book-About-PIs genre. My fave is still Pigeon P.I., but if you like math puns, this one may be for you.
Glen
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: firstreads, childrens
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A wonderful children's book that is a parody of a PI novel. The illustrations are great as well.
Lynette
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Haha! So funny! A definite must read for a good pub book!
D'Iberville Library
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A puntastic book of numbers! Every page has mathematical puns sure to entertain kids as well as adults.

This story follows a Private Detective shaped like an I named Al F. Bet as he tries to solve the mystery of what happened to 9. In a very detective noir plot, 6 rushed into the office upset because 7 was after him. This plot develops unexpectedly but Al is not irrational...(See what I did there?)...he knows that there is more going on than meets the eye.

Highly recommended!
Jocelin
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This was a creative play on the numbers as a murder mystery. No numbers were harmed in this story.
Nick
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a book that is cute and clever, but may be trying too hard to be too many things. If a parent is reading this book to a child, the parent and child will laugh at different things in the story. Too many letter and number jokes will go over the heads of younger children, and the noir detective setting is a little odd in this case, which initially appears to involve violent cannibalism among numbers.
Of course, that's based on a traditionally awful joke, so you're not supposed to take it
Heidi-Marie
I usually find puns annoying if clever. This book is riddled with puns--and I enjoyed every one of them! Lots of laughs. Kids will probably not catch every single one, but should catch enough to find the humor aside from the fun story that plays on the classic joke. Adults will have a good laugh seeing all of them. Quite fun. Maybe fun to share in storytime if I do a numbers lit moment beforehand to remind them of the number order.
J
Mathematical PI mystery, complete with LOTS of math jokes and puns. This would go over best as a read aloud for elementary students who are familiar with concepts like odd and even numbers, multiplication/division, etc. Also a great gift for any math lover.
Chance Lee
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Cute detective story with letters, numbers, and wordplay. I can believe that numbers and letters are anthropomorphic noir subjects, but not that 11 exists in a world with 1. How does even work?!
Lindsey
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Run read aloud and great puns.
Brooke Beeson-King
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So very clever with lots of word play and puns.
Nancy Kotkin
Exponentially funny detective story about numbers. A mystery full of arithmetic puns and mathematical references that kids will love to hunt and identify.
Sarah Reese
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes puns
This book is just too cute! It practically forces you to pick it up and read it no matter your age.

We've all heard that timeless joke, "Why was 6 afraid of 7?" "Because 7 ate 9."
This book takes the opportunity to turn the question into a mystery that needs to be solved by Private I.

Full of all kinds of puns for words and numbers, this is sure to entertain the adult as well as the child they're probably reading it too.

Highly recommend.
Ashley
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great punny twist on a classic children's joke that will amuse little ones and parents alike.
Susan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this witty picture book featuring a Private I detective and a zany cast of numbers. So many fun puns!
Jana
What a fun and clever picture book this is! Written in the style of an old-time detective story, the number 6 comes to the office of a private investigator to get help. 6 was sure that 7 was out to get him, since 7 ate 9, and he was always after 6. This sets off a whole mystery filled with number puns! The illustrations are also drawn with old-style city scenes. This will get lots of laughs and giggles from young readers!
Maria Marshall
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is packed full of puns and math jokes. Ross MacDonald played along with Tara Lazar and added many gags into the illustrations. For instance, a slice of pi, for the price of $3.14. And the private detective's name painted on the door - Inspector Al F. Bet. Even the end papers are a masterful series of puns - 7 is "the prime suspect." Tara also managed to cram the story full of sayings related to the numbers (seventh heaven & nine lives). This books begs for multiple reads, just to ...more
Kristina Jean Lareau
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Omg.

So. Many. Math puns.
Tasha
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was dozing in his office when 6 came in looking for help. 7 was after him! There was a rumor going around that 7 ate 9 and now he was coming for 6. So I went out to figure out what was going on. Following a series of clues after talking with letters and numbers, I deduced that 9 had disappeared but that 7 could not have eaten him since 7 was on vacation. Suddenly, I figured it all out and realized exactly what was going on in this topsy-turvy mystery.

Filled with puns and jokes, this picture
Kristin Guay
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This comical story takes the Halloween joke Why is six afraid of seven, because seven ate nine to a whole new level. Al F. Bet, the private I is needed to help 6 in his concern that 7 is after him. The reader follows I in his attempt to solve this problem, all the while extolling puns with numbers and math. Comments like numbers are always stuck in problems, get to the root of this, and days are numbered, coupled with a slice of pi that costs $3.14, and even 10 being perfect all appeal to an ...more
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I just love using picture books for my middle school classroom! This book will help both math and reading teachers spread the book love. This is 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story, by Tara Lazar, and illustrated by Ross MacDonald, and it is comic genius in picture book form.

Private I tells the story of his newest case: 6 banged on the detective's door, scared that 7 is coming to get him. Private I took the odd case and started looking for the root of the problem. But 7 cannot be found for questioning.
Christina Carter
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
You might think you know why 6 was always afraid of 7 but I am here to tell you that you only know a fraction of the story. 9 goes missing and it is believed that 7 ate 9...but did he really? When 6 fears he may be next, he seeks out the help of Private I who quickly dives into the investigation. Join Private I and 6 in the untold story of 7 Ate 9 and get the 4-1-1 on what really happened.

Please note that Private I usually works exclusively with letters but he's made an exception for 6 in this

• Billy Bloo is Stuck in Goo
  • Shawn Loves Sharks
  • Zombies Don't Eat Veggies!
  • Be Quiet!
  • Jabari Jumps
  • Poor Louie
  • All the Way to Havana
  • One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
  • Bruce's Big Move (A Mother Bruce Book)
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • Love, Triangle
Street magic performer. Award-winning ice sculptor. Hog-calling champion. These are all things Tara Lazar has never been. Instead, she prefers baking with her daughters, creating jewelry, and writing stories for children. THE MONSTORE is her first book, inspired by her pesky little brother (who is no longer so pesky). Tara has several picture books to be published in the coming years. I THOUGHT ...more

Private I (2 books)
  • The Upper Case: Trouble in Capital City

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...