Start by marking “An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)

An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy #2)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  4,430 Ratings  ·  325 Reviews

The second book in a glorious new fantasy trilogy by the next major force in commercial epic fantasy.

In the wake of the devastating attack on Ilin Illan, an amnesty has been declared for all Augurs - finally allowing them to emerge from hiding and openly oppose the dark forces massing against Andarra. However as Davian and his new allies hurry north toward the ever-weak
Published August 22nd 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about An Echo of Things to Come, please sign up.
Steve Sorry I'm late seeing your comment/question. I couldn't agree more. Regardless if the reason Goodreads has for allowing it, no one is entitled to an…moreSorry I'm late seeing your comment/question. I couldn't agree more. Regardless if the reason Goodreads has for allowing it, no one is entitled to an opinion on something that they have never seen. Maybe the lesson here is to ignore the star count, and only read actual reviews, even after publication.(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

This book was nothing short of awesome! Fantastic sequel to the first book and I look forward to the third book in the trilogy!

I'm loving this author, the world he had made and the characters!

Recommend to all fantasty lovers!

Mel ❤
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I received a review copy of An Echo of Things to Come in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank Orbit Books and James Islington.

The narrative picks up events one month after The Blinds' brutal assault on Ilin Illan which concluded The Shadow of What Was Lost. All of the four main point-of-view characters (Davian, Wirr, Asha, and Caeden) find themselves with very different objectives, however, all are hoping to put a stop to what could be an impending invasion beyond reckoning at t
Stefan Bach
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
“The lesser of two evils, or the greater good.
Get a good man to utter either of those phrases, and there is no one more eager to begin perpetrating evil.”

Oh, just how entertaining this sequel was! James carefully scooped many interesting things from many interesting worlds across the fantasy genre, successfully molding all that into something of his own.
All those bits and pieces, only slightly teased or criminally undeveloped stories, legends and myths across all those fantasy histories -
Bradley
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author just made it to my total fanboy heart. I'm rarely this excited about new anything. I mean, I'm usually excited to some degree or another, but I usually reserve this kind of energy for authors I know and have trusted for years.

Welcome to my heart, Mr. Islington. :)

These characters are absolutely wonderful, from the great reveal at the end of the last book to the full-out disclosure and development of a certain beast character in this one. I love them all. It's true. Every single step
Gavin
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
An Echo of Things To Come was another excellent entry into The Licanius Trilogy. It matched the quality of the first book in the series and helped cement the series place as one of my new fantasy favourites. Reading this series feels a lot like reading a Brandon Sanderson book with a little bit of Wheel of Time and X-Men thrown in to spice things up. It seems a familiar recipe but Islington makes it work and weaves an engaging and exciting story.

The story was just as exciting in this second boo
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 3.75*'s
Book 2: 3.25*'s

I still enjoyed this book and I'm still looking forward to book three however it did drag at points for me. Secondly I didn't feel like there was a ton of character growth which I like to see as the series goes on. Third there were just way too many flashback scenes. Some of them were quite good but after awhile it became tedious for me.

That said the last 20% had a great tension and was nonstop action. I think where all the players currently stand it sets up for bo
Hasham Rasool
That is a fantastic sequel!

Alhamdulillah I love this book. 'The Licanuus Trilogy' is definitely one of my favourite series.

There is a lot improved in this book than the first book. Personally, I think 'An Echo of Things to Come' is a lot better than 'The Shadow of What Was Lost'.

This book is completed like Brandon Sanderson's book. I feel like I am reading Brandon Sanderson's book.

I can't wait to read the third book of 'The Licanius Trilogy'. I hope it would be a good book to read.
Kaitlin
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
* I was sent this for free from the publisher *

This book is a highly anticipated sequel to The Shadow of What Was Lost which was a stand-out read for me when I read it back in April of last year. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical of whether this one would be as good as the first, because book #1 I read as a self-published story and this is now being published traditionally, but it did not disappoint and I still found that I really enjoyed this once I got back into the word.

I do admit
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars - Review of the first two books] What started out as a seemingly straight-forward classic adventure fantasy quickly evolved into a complex story with countless dynamics and twists & turns. I ended up liking it ten times more than I thought I would – it’s easily one of the best I’ve read this year.

I wouldn’t call this series an “easy” read, as it required more concentration than average, but it’s certainly worth the effort. I don’t pretend I always knew for certain what was going o
Eric Allen
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book does not need to be perfect to please me. An author does not need to write like a champion to entertain me. If the story is good, the world in which it takes place detailed and memorable, and the characters decent, that's usually all I really need or ask for. The first book of this trilogy was not perfect. The characters, though likeable enough, were a little on the generic side, and the writing was a little amateurish in places. It was James Islington's first published work, though, and ...more
Michael Sliter
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars.

An Echo of Things to Come is the second book in Licanius Trilogy, and, in my opinion, a huge step forward for the series, both in terms of writing quality and plot. Generally speaking, I was far more engaged with An Echo compared to A Shadow (Book 1), and found myself reading late into the night. This is great, as I was torn about picking this up after Shadow (particularly because of the high price point).

Once again, we follow several POV characters as they deal with the impending fa
C.P. Cabaniss
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I did the first book in this series on audio, so I wasn't sure how reading this one in physical format was going to go. Mostly because I don't tend to retain information from audiobooks as much, so I thought I would have forgotten a lot of important details. And while I'm sure that is somewhat the case, overall I felt like this read went really well.

The ending to this was absolutely insane. It definitely left me eager for the third book so that I can find out what happens. Is that real? I need
Caroline
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
THIS is the first time I have listened to an entire audiobook. Usually I alternate between audio and physical, NOT THIS TIME! It took me a while to listen to the entire book but I've gotta say it was worth listening to. Michael Kramer is an awesome narrator, he nails so many voices and adds that extra bit of depth to the story.

My main complaint with this book, as with the first one, is that there are parts which still felt very much like a debut. Maybe I just noticed it more with the audiobook b
Kitvaria Sarene
It took me quite a while to get back into the story, but it has been some years since I read the first, so that was to be expected.
I don't remember the first book in the series to have so much info dumps, or rather so much "theoretical plot". This one was rather short in action, and when looking at the big overall plot, we're pretty much at the same place as we where after book one, just some of the figures on fates chessboard have been moved to new places (or died).

That is not to say I didn't e
Aristea
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The ending of this book is one of the best I have read in a while.
I enjoyed some story lines - Asha is by far the character with the best plot for me, closely followed by Caeden. Davian builds up momentum and that ending just blew my mind!
I am not too fond of Wirr and his story but I am expecting great things in book 3.

Margret
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
that ending....

description

Marius
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent !
Maybe even better than the first book, which was awesome too.
So many things happening in this book, so much information. You really have to pay attention less you miss something.

This shapes up to be one of the best fantasy series I have ever read.
Robin
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was GOOD. I'm feeling empty inside.
J.J.
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What. A. Sequel. I loved it.

Plans within plans within plans. So many pieces being moved like chess. So many pawns being moved just to accomplish the ultimate goal of saving the world.

Only one great plan matters and it has to be done by one of the immortals. He betrayed and sacrificed loyal friends and mass murdered millions just to accomplish one single plan. His immortal friends could not even know of his plans. His friends knew he was doing wrong and tried to tell him but he was not hearing it
Navdha
May 14, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: Counting down the days till I can read this! Whoop Whoop!!!

===============================================

Pre-Update:

Why can't I know for sure how much longer I have to wait for the next installment to be released? WHY? WHYYY??!!

Trevor Sherman
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read so far this year. A full review to come here amazon and of course my blog. https://thebloggoblin.com/
~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books
Read this review and more at Book Geeks Uncompromised.

3.5 stars.

The second book in the Licanius Trilogy has Caeden attempting to recover his lost memories while Davian, Wirr, and Asha search for a way to stop the Boundary in the north from failing and hordes of monsters from devastating the land.

This book was very much a middle book but I didn't actually mind that so much. In the first book, The Shadow of What Was Lost, it was made clear that this world has an enormous history and that history w
Mark Halse
Jul 28, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-priority
How do books that don't exist yet get a star rating?
John Napier
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story followed smoothly on from "The Shadow of What was Lost", gradually expanding upon the history of this mystical world.

The other-worldly threat continued to loom menacingly large, while our protagonists fought against many obstacles, including political indifference and prejudice to their struggles, how to combat their world's impending doom and for one self-doubt arising with memories returning from his disturbing past.

Islington once again tells an absorbing tale slowly revealing more o
Paul
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don’t read a huge amount of epic fantasy. I’ll admit, I’ve tried reading the The Wheel of Time on more than one occasion, and in each instance I’ve had to throw in the towel. Epic fantasy can be a heck of a commitment and it can be really easy to get bogged down in the vastness of it all. If you’re not feeling it then I’m inclined to say move on, life is way too short. The good news is that there are always exceptions to this rule. I started The Licanius Trilogy, reading The Shadow of What was ...more
Rebecca
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Shadow of What Was Lost was one of my favorite fantasy books when it was released as an audiobook a few years ago. I recently did a re-read and loved it just as much the second time, despite the fact that I’m infinitely more critical once I’ve already read a book. An Echo of Things to Come was one of my most highly anticipated sequels of the year, but unfortunately it didn’t strike the same resonance with me as the first installment.

While the characters are for the most part, those we know a
Justin
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story is getting better. Probably a 4.5, but I bumped it up to 5 for the fun of it. I really like the strong main characters in this series Davian, Wirr, Asha, and Caeden as they continue to grow and in Caeden's sake remember yet still strive to keep true to their friendships and what they believe in. The story gets more complicated and intertwined as you realize the characters past and future are more closely related than was revealed in book one. Warning, If you are on the fence about this ...more
Olivia
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An Echo of Things to Come is a great sequel. There's none of the second book lull that I often encounter in a series. It's fast paced, filled with action and magic and I'm greatly enjoying all the twists and turns Islington writes.

The prose has definitely improved but it's still clear that this is Islington's first series and sometimes it suffers from repetition. However, I highly enjoy Islington's storytelling. The plot is complex, the twists many and the characters are well developed.

I hope to
Mike
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start...I simply dont know. I feel this was a great follow to Shadow. I couldnt put it down. I cant really compile a good review just yet though. I need to do a re-read for that to happen. There's a ton going on in this installment. This has turned into a top two fantasy series for me next to Sanderson's "Stormlight Archive".
Jonathan Wilson
4.5 Stars

Better than the first book! This has definitely become one of my favorite fantasy series to date. So many of the major questions were and answered and the world was really flushed out and explained but man do I need to know what happens next. The stage has been set for the next book in the series beautifully and I can't wait to see what happens! :)
  • A Shattered Empire (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #3)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)
  • The Never Paradox
  • The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5)
  • Zero Tango (Zero Sight, #3)
  • Dissension: the Second Act of Penance (Three Acts of Penance, #2)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • The Olympian Affair (The Cinder Spires, #2)
  • The Labyrinth of Flame (Shattered Sigil, #3)
James Islington was born and raised in southern Victoria, Australia. His influences growing up were the stories of Raymond E. Feist and Robert Jordan, but it wasn't until later, when he read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series - followed soon after by Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind - that he was finally inspired to sit down and write something of his own. He now lives with his wife and daughte ...more
More about James Islington

The Licanius Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I’m telling you that you should doubt—as I do my own beliefs. The day on which you decide not to question what you believe, is the day that you start making excuses for why you believe it.” 1 likes
“She was just like the rest of them—willfully ignorant, passionately believing in something because she surrounded herself with people who also passionately believed in the same thing. He knew the type, now—those who found it easier to listen to people who reinforced what they already thought, rather than actually considering the opinions of those who didn’t.” 1 likes