Start by marking “Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours” as Want to Read:
Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours

Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours

Foreword read by Melissa McCarthy and featuring the voices of Stephen, Margaret, and Flynn Falcone.

A funny and intimate look at fatherhood from the actor and writer/director of The Boss and Tammy that combines stories about his own larger-than-life dad and how his experiences raising two daughters with his wife, Melissa McCarthy, who also penned the Foreword, are shaped by
Published May 16th 2017 by Dey Street Books

To ask other readers questions about Being a Dad Is Weird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Being a Dad Is Weird

Start your review of Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*1.5 stars*

Have you ever told a story about your family that you know is really funny but no one laughs and you think, "you just had to be there." That is this story. Maybe we just had to be there to appreciate Ben Falcone's Being a Dad Is Weird: Lessons in Fatherhood from My Family to Yours.

I have a deep love of celebrity memoirs, especially from comedic writers (See: A Very Punchable Face). However, more often than not, they fall flat on their faces (See: My Squirrel Days). Still, I knew that
Alyssa
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-kindle-book, 2017
Amusing and light hearted memoir about being a parent and being parented. As the author is from my hometown and was in the same class as my brother in high school, there is an added pleasant nostalgia. With my current stress about the world in general, this book offered a nice respite.
Gisela
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book had a great combination of storytelling and humor. There were many times I found myself laughing out loud, and many relatable parenting moments. A fun read!
Darcy
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining musing on fatherhood from Ben Falcone. Lighthearted and heartfelt.
Zach
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, dad-lit
3.9
While I was reading this it seemed a bit better than good, but not quite great. Now that I have finished it I find that I really enjoyed it. Go figure. All in all, a worthy addition to the Dad-Lit canon.
Carrie George
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I was super lucky to have my name drawn for a giveaway for this book. I had put it on my ‘to read’ list after I saw Ben Falcone and Melissa McCarthy do an interview on Ellen, and here are my thoughts:
Overall, I think this book is great. The stories involving Ben’s childhood are pretty hilarious. The story when his mom puts on the sombrero is probably my favorite. I also find it extremely refreshing that instead of Ben Falcone writing about himself in a way that would say ‘Hey, I’m famous now, th
Samantha Plotkin
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads for the ARC. I would rate in 4.5 stars so I'm rounding up. Being a Dad is Weird was a fast, enjoyable read on the beauty and weirdness of parenting and being parented. ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @ 10%
2017; Day Street Books/HarperCollins

I was not able to get into Falcome's writing style (or humour). This may work better as a stand up routine or an audiobook format. As a book it was too simplistic and lacked editing (though this could be due to the eARC).

***I received a complimentary copy of this ebook from the publisher through Edelweiss. Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.***
Jill Lapin-Zell
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ben Falcone, the husband of actress Melissa McCarthy, writes this charming and witty book recounting his experiences about and with his father, Steve Falcone. Using his upbringing as a backdrop for his own experiences bringing up his two daughters, Falcone tells us, in entertaining anecdotal fashion, that fatherhood is all about humor, love and kindness.

In her foreword, Melissa McCarthy lets us know that her husband’s greatest attributes are his “gentle kindness and supreme weirdness.” All of Be
Ashleigh
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m so glad I picked this book up on a whim. Ben Falcone essentially wrote a love letter to his father, a thank-you note for his upbringing, and had it published. This book is lighthearted, joyous and laugh-out-loud funny. Without a hint of drama or scandal, it was a perfect reminder for me that kids thrive on love and to stop stressing so much about the other stuff.
Veronica Foley
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5. This was very funny and I really enjoyed learning more about Ben Falcone. This was short and sweet. He is very relatable and fun. I loved that the audiobook has the people he is talking about speaking. The only downside to the audiobook is the photos he describes so I checked out the ebook as well so I could follow along.
Phyllis
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read; certainly made me think about how I responded to my kids as they were growing up. They’re all great but as parents; we worry that we could have/should have handled things differently. Lovely stories throughout.
scarlett pierson
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is sweet and if you live in Southern Illinois he really loves on it too. It’s a love story for Carbondale!
Meagan
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable quick read.
Koren
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I did not know who Ben Falcone was before reading this book. Turns out he is married to one of my favorite comic actresses Melissa McCarthy. This book is more about his relationship with his dad, but there is some anecdotes about his own children. I think this would be better as an audio book. I think a humorous book depends on what your mood is. There were some moments that made me smile, but no laugh out loud moments.
Myka-lauren
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC through goodreads giveaways. I'm not a Dad or son but this was a great read & I'm making my boyfriend read it next. Often memoirs by funny people tend to disappoint me but not this one! I was literally lol'ing. The balance between humor, storytelling & heart was on point. Thank you Ben Falcone & your Dad for sharing your beautiful relationship! ...more
Gail
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Ben Falcone wants you to know he’s not fancy. Take the following passage: “[O]ne of the best ways to be a good dad is to find a great lady to be the kids’ mom[,] … a great wife who is a great mother…. My own mom is a great lady.” Does Ben Falcone, Hollywood director, know a synonym for “great”? He must. At the very least someone at HarperCollins could have been paid to look one up. But that’s not the vibe of “Being a Dad Is Weird.”

In this short memoir, Falcone is just a simple, nervous guy from
Vincent Schaefer
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won an ARC in a Goodreads giveaway.

A nice, quick read. Funny, touching memories, mostly of Ben and his dad. Some laugh out loud moments. A really heartfelt tribute to his father.
Aria
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
---- Disclosure: I received this book for free from Goodreads. ----

I quite enjoyed this. It was a light, quick read. It's as much about his being a parent, as it is about his own childhood experiences with family. He seems to have had an interesting family group growing up, and I quite enjoyed reading his telling of that world. What an entertaining group.

The chapters are very short, so if you want something to pick up for short intervals, this will do the trick. I read it straight through in

Jacob
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a review of Ben Falcone's Being a Dad is Weird

What an amazing mirror! Ben Falcone shows us his dad, while mirroring his own quest to be the weird dad for his children. Weird is often good---it is certainly different.
Being raised with a father who swears (been there---"Just hear it, don't say it") and one whom we fear at times but also find hysterical. Laughing, loving and sharing. Ben shares his story of growing up in a house where his mother was the main bread winner for most years of his earl
Mediaman
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
Shocked to see that a guy with no qualifications or parenting skills is given a book contract to write about the subject of being a dad. Falcone probably is trying to be funny in the book but fails miserably, and it's so full of obscene language that it's difficult to read.

The book is really about Falcone'e memories of his own father and the biggest problem is that Ben holds his own dad up as the example of a great father, but the guy sounds horrible. Falcone's dad allowed them to swear freely,
Heather
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review is the for the uncorrected proof (ARC) of the book.

I have mixed feelings about this book. First, I am not a man nor a parent, so I expect that I can't identify with those aspects. Second, for most of the book I was going to rate it a 3 star, but then the end of the book just Zapped Me!, so 4 stars. The writing is definitely better at the end. I attribute this to the fact that more emotion is involved.

This is a great tribute to Falone's dad. I love that he wanted to honor his dad th
Tom Donaghey
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, humour
BEING A DAD IS WEIRD by Ben Falcone has the misfortune of being read by me shortly after I finished reading a top selling Italian book on this very subject. That book was SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND KISSES FOR BREAKFAST. But BEING A DAD... differs from that first book in that this is more the story of a son looking back at his relationship with his parents, especially his dad, and reevaluating it from the perspective of being a father himself.
Mr. Falcone takes us back to his youth in Carbondale, Illi
Rob Olson
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked this up at a used bookstore on a whim. I had no idea who Ben Falcone is but I recently became a father and the title of the book grabbed me so I decided to try it. It didn't look like the standard parenting book so I was hopeful.

The amount of information conveyed by the book is very low but it is only 216 pages so that is part of it. I like how the book is setup in extremely short chapters because I could read a whole chapter every time I picked it up, even if I did only read 3 pages.

Th
Allison Vaughn
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this book! Ben Falcone writes much how his father speaks, with wit and charm that is undeniable—he just might not be as loud as Steve. Any casual reader could enjoy his tales of childhood and his own parenting experience, but as someone who grew up through the same decades just a few miles down the road, I felt right at home with his family’s stories.

If you ever read your reviews, Ben, know that I believe you captured your father perfectly! He was my absolute favorite
Merry Miller moon
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Goodreads for the free ARC of this book. I apologize, I didn't even know who Ben Falcone was before reading this book. He is a writer, director and comedian who is married to Melissa McCarthy. This book was hilarious. I love the cover photo of a young Ben and his father. He reflects upon his own childhood to provide some much needed advice for parents. Please note that there is language in this book and it is not for the faint of heart. See the chapter in which he describes his father' ...more
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
A cute little book that takes a walk down memory lane of actor and director Ben Falcone - many may know him as Mr. Melissa McCarthy. From the writings, it appears as if Mr. Falcone had a pretty sweet suburban Midwest childhood and since I did too, it was fun to walk with him. The book is made up of short chapters that focus mostly on his Dad and family growing up and how, now looking back as a Dad himself, he can appreciate his parents and brother and what being a family and dad means for him to ...more
Cyndi
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, memoir
I thought this book would be more about Ben Falcone's daughters, and there are a few stories in there, but it is mostly about Ben's childhood. His daughters are still pretty young and I hope he writes about them someday (with their permission), because living in that household, there has to be some funny stuff that happens. They also don't seem to be the typical Hollywood type of people and probably are pretty nice to just talk to and not all self-absorbed, time will tell.

I liked the writing st
Cat
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I won an advance copy in a Goodreads giveaway, and I have not let this affect my review.

This book was hilarious. It's a collection of short chapters about his childhood and his fatherhood--experiencing the parent-child relationship from both sides. I enjoyed the fun stories (my favorites are "ripping off the Band-Aid" and the breakfast conversation that freaked him out). This is a light read, great for summer. I just wish I'd seen more about his wife Melissa McCarthy--I know his theme for this b
Zemmiphobe
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is funny, but I think the title is a little bit misleading. I was expecting a story about being a father. Like funny anecdotes about how kids are weird and therefore the experience of being a parent can be quite weird too. Instead, however, it was a blog style autobiography of sorts with a special focus on memories of his father.

The book is sort of organized in a series of lessons, though I am not so sure all of these stories quite manage to portray these lessons. They were amusing som
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Your Dad Stole My Rake: And Other Family Dilemmas
  • Live from New York: An Oral History of Saturday Night Live
  • Knitting America: A Glorious Heritage from Warm Socks to High Art
  • Wool: Unraveling an American Story of Artisans and Innovation
  • Tales From the Farm by the Yorkshire Shepherdess
  • No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting
  • It Ended Badly: Thirteen of the Worst Breakups in History
  • The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
  • A Dog Named Beautiful: A Marine, a Dog, and a Long Road Trip Home
  • The New One: Painfully True Stories from a Reluctant Dad
  • So Long, Marianne: A Love Story
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Side Effect
  • Bar None (Hoppy Hare, #1)
  • unSweetined
  • Knit, Purl, a Baby and a Girl
  • Florida Curiosities: Quirky Characters, Roadside Oddities & Other Offbeat Stuff
  • The Amazon Echo Dot User Guide: Newbie to Expert in 1 Hour!: The Echo Dot User Manual That Should Have Come In The Box
Actor, Writer, Director, Husband, and Father. He has acted in comedies like Bridesmaids which also featured his real-life wife Melissa McCarthy.