Start by marking “An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)” as Want to Read:
An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)

An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #4)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
The son of a duke and an infamous mother, Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton, fought his way to respectability. Now, the most eligible bachelor in London, marriage-shy Rexton will take only a wife with an impeccable reputation, good breeding, and a penchant for staying out of the gossip sheets. But when he strikes a deal to be seen “courting” a sweet young debutante whose ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 30th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about An Affair with a Notorious Heiress, please sign up.
Donna He is Grace, Andrew and Drake Darling's brother. Drake was adopted. His parents are Sterling and Frannie Mabry, Duke and Duchess of Greystone.

Maddie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hr, hot
description

Prologue

Because of Alistair mother’s scandalous background which caused him to suffer for her transgressions, while growing up, he was bullied by other students at school, but he learned a valuable lessons, he learned to stand up for himself:

Respect, it seems, is not granted by birth, but must be earned.

And he was determined none of his children would be burdened with the sins of either parent.

I would live my life above reproach, without scandal. And the woman I took to wife would be as pur
Mei
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
While I appreciated the strenght of the heroine, I found it a little bit unbelievable for the time.
I loved her unconditional love of her sister and her unweavering support of her! I loved how protective she was and how she tried to avoid her sister making the same her mistake in marriage.

Also the hero, while portrait as an intelligent man, was too stupid to believe that marrying a respectable woman somehow that respectability will make him even more respecatble in the eyes of the ton! Still I l
Bubu
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hr, 2-stars, read-2017
In a nutshell? Dull and contrived.

I really, really tried with this book. And I really, really tried with Lorraine Heath. More than with any other author, actually, seeing how many books I read. Alas, I think I'm going to give up on her.

What attracted me to her books was that she uses plots and tropes that differ from the average HR. But I've never been able to warm up to her writing style or her characters. I've noticed that her heroes, in particular, bore me to tears; the heroines being only
kris
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton, future Duke of Greystone, must marry a woman "pure as driven snow" because of plot contrivances. Except then he meets Mathilda "Tillie" Paget, Countess of Landsdowne who is Scandal-Ridden. Obviously they must bone. This boning resolves itself into For Real Feelings. And eventually Turgid Declarations of Lurve and Stuff.

1. I don't know. I finished this yesterday and vaguely remember bits about it but nothing really stood out as obnoxiously bad or emphatically
Ginger
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the plot of Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton and future duke falling for a notorious American heiress.
Rexton has no plans to marry but when he does, he’ll choose a bride with a perfect reputation and past.

When he is agrees to court a young, sweet woman (Gina) to help her with marriage prospects, he meets her older and scandalous sister, Tillie, Lady Lansdowne. She divorced after her affair with a footman became known, and she lives separate from society. But
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is the 4th book in Ms. Heath’s Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James series and, while I enjoyed it, I didn’t feel it had the same emotional intensity which I found so satisfying in the other books in the series.

As heir to the Duke of Greystone, Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton (Rex) enjoys a life of wealth and privilege but, at an early age, he learned that respect didn’t come automatically, it had to be earned. He loves both his parents but, at school, he had been subjected to bullying an
Jultri
One of Heath's less memorable efforts. The dialogue lacks sizzle. The heroine is strong and proud outwardly but full of self-doubt internally. The hero is sweet but somewhat bland. It's not bad, but I known LH can be so much better than this.
Molly
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book represents Lorraine Heath at her best - he characters are complicated and fully fleshed, their interactions are emotional and steamy and the premise of the story is original. I highly enjoyed it. Thank you Ezi for the recommendation, it was lovely!
Haze Prado
Dec 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
I've waited. And then I saw this simply...horrible thing.

Sorry but I really found it disappointing. What has happened to Lorraine Heath's covers? I love the gorgeous book art of all her books in this series. Then the last one, her latest release, was suddenly doesn't have stepback art anymore and then this.

The model's pose is just so awkward. I'm not an authority to say this but I think she appears stiff and unflattering in this illustration. And boy... her makeup is just so distracting.
Esther
ARC provide by Edelweiss and publisher for an honest review.

Rating 2.5 -3.0

I wanted to really love this but sadly was disappointed.

Review closer to publication.
Donna
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tillie, Lady Landsdowne, is notorious for divorcing her husband. She's a wealthy American whose mother wanted her, and her sister, to marry a lord. So, at a young age she married an Earl who needed her dowry. After a few miserable years, she divorced him. Shocking! Unfortunately, her younger sister, Gina Hammersley, is having a very disappointing debut season due to her sister's scandalous reputation.

Their uncle, Garrett Hammersley, acts as chaperone at the various ton events as Tillie is not we
Feminista
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
What utter bullocks.

I picked this book up, having read the blurb, and thought finally, the author has decided to write about real women in the historical times.

No. This heroine has "manufactured" a romance with the footman to escape her first husband. God forbid the heroine actually have an affair with the footman. I can understand why the author would not want while the heroine was still married to the first husband, but what about after the divorce?

What crime is it for a woman to have sex? I
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Την συμπαθώ την Lorraine Heath! Μπορεί να μην είναι η αγαπημένη μου στο είδος της, αλλά τα βιβλία της διαθέτουν μία ειλικρίνεια που είναι εμφανέστατη και που δεν μπορείς να μην την εκτιμήσεις. Επιπλέον, αν και τοποθετημένες σε μια άλλη εποχή, οι ιστορίες της δεν περιστρέφονται γύρω από ευάλωτες γυναίκες που περιμένουν τον πρίγκιπα που θα τους χαρίσει μια παραμυθένια ζωή, παρά παίρνουν οι ίδιες τη ζωή στα χέρια τους, διεκδικούν τα θέλω τους, δεν υποτάσσονται έτσι, απλά κι εύκολα, στις κοινωνικές ...more
Becca
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this story, I'm sad to say. Perhaps it is just me, but I feel like Heath's writing has changed a bit and as a result, I haven't been as in sync with her as I used to be.

I skimmed most of it and couldn't even manage to get to the end. I got through more than 75% so I'm giving it a star rating though. This book had too much internal waffling and lusting on the characters' parts. While I thought the divorced woman story would be interesting, I just couldn't bring myself to conn
Smitten
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here on Smitten by Books Reviews

4.5 Stars ~ Top Pick

After sobbing through the end of Ms. Heath’s novella When the Marquess Falls, I was more that ready to throw myself into Rexton and Tillie’s romance in An Affair With a Notorious Heiress.

Rexton is my favorite kind of hero: uptight, disapproving, brooding but possessing passions and a sensuality that runs deep. Oh and the part where he’s also handsome and wealthy doesn’t hurt. Well he makes a deal with Tillie’s uncle to be se
Katie Michaels
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this book when I started it. I was on the fence about the premise, but I have read some books by Lorraine Heath that I absolutely adored, so I decided to forge through. I’m glad that I did, because I ended up enjoying this story.

Our hero is the Marquess of Rexton. Though he is obviously of the nobility, he grew up a little bit of a black sheep among his peers because his mother was a bookkeeper before she married his father. Rex loves his mother and would not
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Loved it like all the previous books in this series! I really like the way Lorraine Heath writes and I've enjoyed all of her books so far!
WTF Are You Reading?
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars
Well damn! It appears those irrepressible Americans have struck again. This time in the form of one indomitable, and equally irresistible young divorcee, Mathilda Paget, Countess of Landsdowne.
While her notoriety and the reasoning for it may be a blame laid completely at the feet of her less than faithful husband of three years. It seems that the scandal, and the widespread societal snubbing that has resulted are all hers to bear.

Well, not quite. You see, there is the matt
Jen
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This had everything I've come to expect (and love) in a Lorraine Heath novel: love, romance, humor, and heart. Tillie and Rex they were so much fun to read, and the cameos made me smile. I can't wait to read Gina's story!
Maida
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I can't quite decide if I should rate it 4 or 5. Once more, Lorraine Heath brought me to tears. She's really good with heartbreaking dialogue. It just started slow for me. It took me a while to warm up to Rexton, which is not a good thing because this was his book more than it was Tillie's. I did enjoy seeing other characters from the whole St. James universe. I also enjoyed Rex's fall into love. His character's growth is tremendous. I also liked getting to know the real Notorious Hei ...more
Sheila Melo
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FINAL DECISION:  Lyrical and emotional story of a woman who is a scandal and the man who wants to avoid scandal and yet ends up not wanting to avoid her.  I loved the unexpected sweetness and romance of this story.

THE STORY:  Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton and future duke, has no plans to marry soon, but when he does he will choose a bride with a perfect reputation.  His own childhood showed him the consequences of being the child of a scandalous union.  While he loves his parents, he has no
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) I really enjoyed this one. Lately I've found most of the HR books I've had time to read somewhat bland - not really memorable, kind of interchangeable. This one was just - I don't know - more fun, more interesting, even though nothing out of the ordinary happened. Tillie was so unhappy in her marriage that she kissed a footman in view of others in order to shock her titled husband into filing for divorce, a major no-no back in the late 1800s. Now, years later, she lives a lonely, outcast s ...more
Michele
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review can be seen at HarlequinJunkie.com

A Victorian era romance where each of the three main characters had hidden depths to their personalities, causing quite the predicament, An Affair with a Notorious Heiress was everything I had hope it would be…and more.

“Always. That’s what we want, isn’t it? Love for always… For some always is a short time. For others it is long. What matters is that we had a chance at it at all.”

I had such fun with Lorraine Heath’s latest historical romance. Of cou
Alissa
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one grew on me more and more as it progressed, and I really came to enjoy the love that grew between Tillie and Rex, though it took a bit longer than usual for me to get into this one. The end of the book was terrific and was what really brought it all together for me - and it made me love Rexton’s family even more. And that epilogue... ❤❤❤ ...more
Marijana
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5!
Flor
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5
Magi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it! Great five stars.
Kiki Belle
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed-through
I had three major problems with this book: (1) In true romance novel fashion, Tillie's "affairs" weren't affairs at all. I know women were more harshly judged and things assumed, but I'm getting really sick of the truth being less disreputable. For once, I'd really like to see these women actually make mistakes in their past or genuinely enjoy sex with someone other than the hero. (2) On the surface, he's better than most romance novel heroes but Rexton cheats. Fun when he cheats at cards with T ...more
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc, february
Tillie and Rex are fabulous characters, and the challenges of their path to love feel real and reasonable. Even better are the surrounding characters, several of whom appear in previous entries in the series, and the details Heath shares with the readers, whether about horses, gardening, or boxing. There's much joy to be found in this story, in addition to some smouldering love scenes. Truly enjoyable!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Dec 01, 2016 10:40AM
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath

Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James (4 books)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue  (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #2)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be