Start by marking “An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)” as Want to Read:
An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)

An Affair with a Notorious Heiress

(Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #4)

The son of a duke and an infamous mother, Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton, fought his way to respectability. Now, the most eligible bachelor in London, marriage-shy Rexton will take only a wife with an impeccable reputation, good breeding, and a penchant for staying out of the gossip sheets. But when he strikes a deal to be seen “courting” a sweet young debutante whose ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 30th 2017 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about An Affair with a Notorious Heiress, please sign up.
Donna He is Grace, Andrew and Drake Darling's brother. Drake was adopted. His parents are Sterling and Frannie Mabry, Duke and Duchess of Greystone.

Start your review of An Affair with a Notorious Heiress (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #4)
Mei
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
While I appreciated the strenght of the heroine, I found it a little bit unbelievable for the time.
I loved her unconditional love of her sister and her unweavering support of her! I loved how protective she was and how she tried to avoid her sister making the same her mistake in marriage.

Also the hero, while portrait as an intelligent man, was too stupid to believe that marrying a respectable woman somehow that respectability will make him even more respecatble in the eyes of the ton! Still I l
kris
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton, future Duke of Greystone, must marry a woman "pure as driven snow" because of plot contrivances. Except then he meets Mathilda "Tillie" Paget, Countess of Landsdowne who is Scandal-Ridden. Obviously they must bone. This boning resolves itself into For Real Feelings. And eventually Turgid Declarations of Lurve and Stuff.

1. I don't know. I finished this yesterday and vaguely remember bits about it but nothing really stood out as obnoxiously bad or emphatically
Bubu
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017, hr, 2-stars
In a nutshell? Dull and contrived.

I really, really tried with this book. And I really, really tried with Lorraine Heath. More than with any other author, actually, seeing how many books I read. Alas, I think I'm going to give up on her.

What attracted me to her books was that she uses plots and tropes that differ from the average HR. But I've never been able to warm up to her writing style or her characters. I've noticed that her heroes, in particular, bore me to tears; the heroines being only
Ginger
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the plot of Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton and future duke falling for a notorious American heiress.
Rexton has no plans to marry but when he does, he’ll choose a bride with a perfect reputation and past.

When he is agrees to court a young, sweet woman (Gina) to help her with marriage prospects, he meets her older and scandalous sister, Tillie, Lady Lansdowne. She divorced after her affair with a footman became known, and she lives separate from society. But
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
After reading the Viscount Who Loved me by Julia Quinn I just couldn't vibe with this book.
Jultri
One of Heath's less memorable efforts. The dialogue lacks sizzle. The heroine is strong and proud outwardly but full of self-doubt internally. The hero is sweet but somewhat bland. It's not bad, but I known LH can be so much better than this.
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is the 4th book in Ms. Heath’s Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James series and, while I enjoyed it, I didn’t feel it had the same emotional intensity which I found so satisfying in the other books in the series.

As heir to the Duke of Greystone, Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton (Rex) enjoys a life of wealth and privilege but, at an early age, he learned that respect didn’t come automatically, it had to be earned. He loves both his parents but, at school, he had been subjected to bullying
Molly
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book represents Lorraine Heath at her best - he characters are complicated and fully fleshed, their interactions are emotional and steamy and the premise of the story is original. I highly enjoyed it. Thank you Ezi for the recommendation, it was lovely!
Becca
Sep 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really didn't like this story, I'm sad to say. Perhaps it is just me, but I feel like Heath's writing has changed a bit and as a result, I haven't been as in sync with her as I used to be.

I skimmed most of it and couldn't even manage to get to the end. I got through more than 75% so I'm giving it a star rating though. This book had too much internal waffling and lusting on the characters' parts. While I thought the divorced woman story would be interesting, I just couldn't bring myself to conn
Haze Prado
Dec 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
I've waited. And then I saw this simply...horrible thing.

Sorry but I really found it disappointing. What has happened to Lorraine Heath's covers? I love the gorgeous book art of all her books in this series. Then the last one, her latest release, was suddenly doesn't have stepback art anymore and then this.

The model's pose is just so awkward. I'm not an authority to say this but I think she appears stiff and unflattering in this illustration. And boy... her makeup is just so distracting.
Esther
ARC provide by Edelweiss and publisher for an honest review.

Rating 2.5 -3.0

I wanted to really love this but sadly was disappointed.

Review closer to publication.
Donna
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tillie, Lady Landsdowne, is notorious for divorcing her husband. She's a wealthy American whose mother wanted her, and her sister, to marry a lord. So, at a young age she married an Earl who needed her dowry. After a few miserable years, she divorced him. Shocking! Unfortunately, her younger sister, Gina Hammersley, is having a very disappointing debut season due to her sister's scandalous reputation.

Their uncle, Garrett Hammersley, acts as chaperone at the various ton events as Tillie is not we
Jaime Arkin
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love how all these books from different series end up being tied together!
Smitten
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here on Smitten by Books Reviews

4.5 Stars ~ Top Pick

After sobbing through the end of Ms. Heath’s novella When the Marquess Falls, I was more that ready to throw myself into Rexton and Tillie’s romance in An Affair With a Notorious Heiress.

Rexton is my favorite kind of hero: uptight, disapproving, brooding but possessing passions and a sensuality that runs deep. Oh and the part where he’s also handsome and wealthy doesn’t hurt. Well he makes a deal with Tillie’s uncle to be
Jen Davis
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t sure how I would feel about this book when I started it. I was on the fence about the premise, but I have read some books by Lorraine Heath that I absolutely adored, so I decided to forge through. I’m glad that I did, because I ended up enjoying this story.

Our hero is the Marquess of Rexton. Though he is obviously of the nobility, he grew up a little bit of a black sheep among his peers because his mother was a bookkeeper before she married his father. Rex loves his mother and would not
Feminista
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
What utter bullocks.

I picked this book up, having read the blurb, and thought finally, the author has decided to write about real women in the historical times.

No. This heroine has "manufactured" a romance with the footman to escape her first husband. God forbid the heroine actually have an affair with the footman. I can understand why the author would not want while the heroine was still married to the first husband, but what about after the divorce?

What crime is it for a woman to have sex? I
WTF Are You Reading?
Actual Rating 4.5 Stars
Well damn! It appears those irrepressible Americans have struck again. This time in the form of one indomitable, and equally irresistible young divorcee, Mathilda Paget, Countess of Landsdowne.
While her notoriety and the reasoning for it may be a blame laid completely at the feet of her less than faithful husband of three years. It seems that the scandal, and the widespread societal snubbing that has resulted are all hers to bear.

Well, not quite. You see, there is the matt
Jen
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This had everything I've come to expect (and love) in a Lorraine Heath novel: love, romance, humor, and heart. Tillie and Rex they were so much fun to read, and the cameos made me smile. I can't wait to read Gina's story!
Kiki Z
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed-through
I had three major problems with this book: (1) In true romance novel fashion, Tillie's "affairs" weren't affairs at all. I know women were more harshly judged and things assumed, but I'm getting really sick of the truth being less disreputable. For once, I'd really like to see these women actually make mistakes in their past or genuinely enjoy sex with someone other than the hero. (2) On the surface, he's better than most romance novel heroes but Rexton cheats. Fun when he cheats at cards with T ...more
Maida
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. I can't quite decide if I should rate it 4 or 5. Once more, Lorraine Heath brought me to tears. She's really good with heartbreaking dialogue. It just started slow for me. It took me a while to warm up to Rexton, which is not a good thing because this was his book more than it was Tillie's. I did enjoy seeing other characters from the whole St. James universe. I also enjoyed Rex's fall into love. His character's growth is tremendous. I also liked getting to know the real Notorious Hei ...more
Sheila Melo
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FINAL DECISION:  Lyrical and emotional story of a woman who is a scandal and the man who wants to avoid scandal and yet ends up not wanting to avoid her.  I loved the unexpected sweetness and romance of this story.

THE STORY:  Alistair Mabry, Marquess of Rexton and future duke, has no plans to marry soon, but when he does he will choose a bride with a perfect reputation.  His own childhood showed him the consequences of being the child of a scandalous union.  While he loves his parents, he has no
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) I really enjoyed this one. Lately I've found most of the HR books I've had time to read somewhat bland - not really memorable, kind of interchangeable. This one was just - I don't know - more fun, more interesting, even though nothing out of the ordinary happened. Tillie was so unhappy in her marriage that she kissed a footman in view of others in order to shock her titled husband into filing for divorce, a major no-no back in the late 1800s. Now, years later, she lives a lonely, outcast s ...more
Kate
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I enjoyed this story quite a lot!

I wasn't so keen on the double standards that carried on throughout most of the story (ok, it's historical romance so I expect some sexism/double standards but I also expect the main characters - characters that I'm supposed to like - not to perpetuate them) but luckily, Rexton saw the error of his thinking in the end.

Chemistry between two main characters - Tillie and Rexton - was palpable and I liked how their relationship developed. Their banter was
Alissa
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one grew on me more and more as it progressed, and I really came to enjoy the love that grew between Tillie and Rex, though it took a bit longer than usual for me to get into this one. The end of the book was terrific and was what really brought it all together for me - and it made me love Rexton’s family even more. And that epilogue... ❤️❤️❤️
Magi
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it! Great five stars.
Diana
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rftc
classic Lorraine Heath!
So good!
review to come
and
“An Affair with a Notorious Heiress(Scandalous Gentleman of St. James” is classic Lorraine Heath. I love so many of Heath’s books but the books in the last series has not grabbed until this book! The fourth book in the “Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James” series.

First, the book was so,so,so good. It’s been a while since I have started reading a book and look up to see it’s
Stephanie
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february, arc, 2017
Tillie and Rex are fabulous characters, and the challenges of their path to love feel real and reasonable. Even better are the surrounding characters, several of whom appear in previous entries in the series, and the details Heath shares with the readers, whether about horses, gardening, or boxing. There's much joy to be found in this story, in addition to some smouldering love scenes. Truly enjoyable!
Becky
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say other than I pretty much love anything I read by Lorraine Heath and this was no exception. Great characters, great storyline, just the right amount of sex. Really loved it and hated to see it end! Looking forward to Gina's story!
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
Loved it like all the previous books in this series! I really like the way Lorraine Heath writes and I've enjoyed all of her books so far!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 5 Dec 01, 2016 10:40AM

• The Danger of Desire (Sinful Suitors, #3)
  • From Duke Till Dawn (The London Underground, #1)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Truth About Love and Dukes (Dear Lady Truelove, #1)
  • Counting on a Countess (The London Underground, #2)
  • Six Degrees of Scandal (Scandalous, #4)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • The Pleasures of Passion (Sinful Suitors, #4)
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)
  • Just Another Viscount in Love (Season's Original #3.5)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • The Duke's Guide to Correct Behavior (Dukes Behaving Badly, #1)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."​​​​​​​

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor

Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James (4 books)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Once More, My Darling Rogue  (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James #2)
  • The Duke and the Lady in Red (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #3)