Start by marking “When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy” as Want to Read:
When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

Published 2016 by Alan Klement

To ask other readers questions about When Coffee & Kale Compete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Coffee & Kale Compete

Andrea Hill
There are several different camps who lay claim to Jobs to be Done; the theory that people have things in their lives they're trying to accomplish, and they "hire" products and services to get them done.

I first read books about JTBD by Harvard Business School professor Clay Christensen and Strategyn founder Tony Ulwick. I was intrigued when I came across this ebook by Klement, who claims to be evolving JTBD theory.

Klement is very contrarian on Twitter, so I wasnt sure if I'd like this book. It
Dalan Mendonca
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book to get started with the JTBD framework. Free of jargon and bullshit. Must read for all makers.
JTBDreader
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is utter garbage. A poor attempt to rewrite JTBD history and trash the actual pioneers so Alan and his pals can get a free lunch. Disgusting. Avoid and go with the books of the experts: Anthony Ulwick, Lance Bettencourt, Clayton Christensen, etc. I’m disgusted by this Klement guy.
Nick Toumpelis
The first edition of this book was my introduction to JTBD. I came across it on JTBD.info (Medium), which is managed by Alan Klement (the author). Prior to getting the book, I had a brief look at some of the ideas described there and got the book to do a deeper dive. I had no idea what JTBD is prior to that, and no clue about the history of the theory.

The theory itself makes a lot of sense, and for me, it clicked in many places with my own experiences and observations about innovation and produc
Ketil Moland
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read this book first

If you are trying to get a better understanding of the Jobs to be Done-concept, do yourself a favor and pick up this excellent book first. There are several different JTBD schools, and this book does a great job of laying out the differences between them.

If you, like me, have explored other resources before finding this one, I would recommend starting with reading chapter 16: "Appendix: Know the two – very – different interpretations of Jobs to be Done." It will help you gai
Dallyn
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book once. And then I read it again. And I keep going back to it. I've even signed up for a paperback. It's one of the best books I've read on the topic of innovation.

Alan Klement keeps the language simple and the content well edited and concise. His work is supported by past successes, mathematics and psychology. The book reflects the idea of Jobs to be Done against successful and failed products.

This book isn't only about theory. It even gives you a few ideas on how you can get st
Jack
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Klement shows you how to listen to customers and find their struggle to evolve. Aligning your company with properly conducted research around problems (not solutions!) is a great way toward success for your products. This book has great examples of companies that properly implemented JTBD (kudos for not having the overused AirBnB as an example). Succinct writing from a practitioner - low on theory, high on implementation. Definitely worth reading multiple times and should be treated as a manual ...more
Michal Nowak
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gave up 2/3rds through this book and I shouldn't have gone that far. I hoped it would make the JTBD framework more concrete and usable for me. It didn't. The book is full of repetitions and stories sparsely populated with information. The book evidently lacks editorial work. The part I read could have been condensed to few pages.

On top of that the author seems to have some personal issues with Clayton Christensen. Criticism of his work and the "Innovators Dilemma" are spread and repeated acro
Deepika Bandaru
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a good job explaining the aspirational 'Job to be done' theory. The cases are diverse and fit well into the framework. But the choice of examples left me wondering about the longevity of JBTD based solutions.
Loved how the cases were practical and not merely theoretical applications. Would have appreciated it more if the author jumped into the cases sooner and spent less time pitching for the theory. The 'why I need it' went far too long before 'what it is' started.
Dancall
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book all about the ‘Jobs to the Done’ (JTBD) theory - how Revlon ‘makes cosmetics in the factory and sells hope in the drugstore’ - and how, when someone buys a drill, they are actually buying holes (or, more accurately, a tidier home). It is about what motivates people to buy what they buy, with case studies including a theatre, chocolate bars and food delivery. A lot of the theory is pretty obvious in retrospect, but great for giving you a new lens through which to see the world.
Mike Hales
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great model, requires work

Once you get inside of the JTBD model, it becomes much easier to flow through the book. The challenge is in reframing your customers needs but as always the key is to talk to customers! First hand research will unlock the model faster and really help with product development.
Vassilena
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A nice read. Although I've read quite a lot on Jobs-to-be-Done by now, it had some valuable points where the focus was a bit different from other sources - this helped me get a deeper understanding of the methodology.
Chris Downey
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in how to understand their customers better.
Nacho Bassino
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: product
muy interesantes casos. a nivel practico ppco implementable
Jasleen Kaur
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional explanation of JTBD concept and it is so beautifully described with case studies and examples. An awesome read for anyone who even remotely wants be an innovator!
Ola
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-read it and appreciated it even more, hence upgrading the rating from 4 to 5 stars. Although I do agree with other reviewers that the kind of obsessive criticism of Christensen's work is a bit annoying and unnecessary.
Pedro Araújo
Jan 04, 2017
Heath Lympaney
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I finished this book a month ago. That I keep going back to the book as a reference, and that I have started to use the language of the book is a testament to value and lessons in the book. On that basis alone it is worth a read.

However, I can't give the book five starts. At times it was difficult to read. The writing is clear, but there are sections where his desire to have a dig at someone and push a parallel agenda gets the better of him. Getting personal detracts from the text, and does not
Dave Kendall

• No Time Like the Present: Finding Freedom, Love, and Joy Right Where You Are
  • Fundamentals of Project Management
  • Why We Fail: Learning From Experience Design Failures
  • The Highest Goal: The Secret That Sustains You in Every Moment
  • Buy Buttons: The Fast-Track Strategy to Make Extra Money and Start a Business in Your Spare Time [Featuring 300+ Apps and Peer-to-Peer Marketplaces]
  • The Third Rumpole Omnibus
  • Curry: Eating, Reading, and Race
  • Collaborative Intelligence: Using Teams to Solve Hard Problems
  • Competing Against Luck
  • Sleeping with Your Smartphone: How to Break the 24/7 Habit and Change the Way You Work
  • Life's a Pitch
  • Dinner at Antoine's
  • Pigeon Pie
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Pep Talks for Writers: 52 Insights and Actions to Boost Your Creative Mojo
  • Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams
  • Evil by Design: Interaction Design to Lead Us Into Temptation
“A Job to be Done describes the “better me.” It answers the question, “How are you better since you started using [product]?” and “Now that you have this product, what can you do now that you couldn’t do before?” 0 likes