Start by marking “When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy” as Want to Read:
When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Published 2016 by Alan Klement

To ask other readers questions about When Coffee & Kale Compete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Coffee & Kale Compete

Andrea Hill
There are several different camps who lay claim to Jobs to be Done; the theory that people have things in their lives they're trying to accomplish, and they "hire" products and services to get them done.

I first read books about JTBD by Harvard Business School professor Clay Christensen and Strategyn founder Tony Ulwick. I was intrigued when I came across this ebook by Klement, who claims to be evolving JTBD theory.

Klement is very contrarian on Twitter, so I wasnt sure if I'd like this book. It
Dalan Mendonca
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book to get started with the JTBD framework. Free of jargon and bullshit. Must read for all makers.
JTBDreader
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is utter garbage. A poor attempt to rewrite JTBD history and trash the actual pioneers so Alan and his pals can get a free lunch. Disgusting. Avoid and go with the books of the experts: Anthony Ulwick, Lance Bettencourt, Clayton Christensen, etc. I’m disgusted by this Klement guy.
Dallyn
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book once. And then I read it again. And I keep going back to it. I've even signed up for a paperback. It's one of the best books I've read on the topic of innovation.

Alan Klement keeps the language simple and the content well edited and concise. His work is supported by past successes, mathematics and psychology. The book reflects the idea of Jobs to be Done against successful and failed products.

This book isn't only about theory. It even gives you a few ideas on how you can get st
Jack
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Klement shows you how to listen to customers and find their struggle to evolve. Aligning your company with properly conducted research around problems (not solutions!) is a great way toward success for your products. This book has great examples of companies that properly implemented JTBD (kudos for not having the overused AirBnB as an example). Succinct writing from a practitioner - low on theory, high on implementation. Definitely worth reading multiple times and should be treated as a manual ...more
Michal Nowak
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gave up 2/3rds through this book and I shouldn't have gone that far. I hoped it would make the JTBD framework more concrete and usable for me. It didn't. The book is full of repetitions and stories sparsely populated with information. The book evidently lacks editorial work. The part I read could have been condensed to few pages.

On top of that the author seems to have some personal issues with Clayton Christensen. Criticism of his work and the "Innovators Dilemma" are spread and repeated acro
Vassilena Valchanova
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A nice read. Although I've read quite a lot on Jobs-to-be-Done by now, it had some valuable points where the focus was a bit different from other sources - this helped me get a deeper understanding of the methodology.
Chris Downey
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in how to understand their customers better.
Nacho Bassino
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: product
muy interesantes casos. a nivel practico ppco implementable
Jasleen Kaur
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional explanation of JTBD concept and it is so beautifully described with case studies and examples. An awesome read for anyone who even remotely wants be an innovator!
György Fekete
Jan 04, 2017
Heath Lympaney
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I finished this book a month ago. That I keep going back to the book as a reference, and that I have started to use the language of the book is a testament to value and lessons in the book. On that basis alone it is worth a read.

However, I can't give the book five starts. At times it was difficult to read. The writing is clear, but there are sections where his desire to have a dig at someone and push a parallel agenda gets the better of him. Getting personal detracts from the text, and does not
Dave Kendall

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99