Start by marking “When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy” as Want to Read:
When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy

Published 2016 by Alan Klement

To ask other readers questions about When Coffee & Kale Compete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Coffee & Kale Compete

Start your review of When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy
Andrea Hill
There are several different camps who lay claim to Jobs to be Done; the theory that people have things in their lives they're trying to accomplish, and they "hire" products and services to get them done.

I first read books about JTBD by Harvard Business School professor Clay Christensen and Strategyn founder Tony Ulwick. I was intrigued when I came across this ebook by Klement, who claims to be evolving JTBD theory.

Klement is very contrarian on Twitter, so I wasnt sure if I'd like this book. It
Michal Nowak
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
I gave up 2/3rds through this book and I shouldn't have gone that far. I hoped it would make the JTBD framework more concrete and usable for me. It didn't. The book is full of repetitions and stories sparsely populated with information. The book evidently lacks editorial work. The part I read could have been condensed to few pages.

On top of that the author seems to have some personal issues with Clayton Christensen. Criticism of his work and the "Innovators Dilemma" are spread and repeated acro
Dalan
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book to get started with the JTBD framework. Free of jargon and bullshit. Must read for all makers.
JTBDreader
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is utter garbage. A poor attempt to rewrite JTBD history and trash the actual pioneers so Alan and his pals can get a free lunch. Disgusting. Avoid and go with the books of the experts: Anthony Ulwick, Lance Bettencourt, Clayton Christensen, etc. I’m disgusted by this Klement guy.
Nick Toumpelis
The first edition of this book was my introduction to JTBD. I came across it on JTBD.info (Medium), which is managed by Alan Klement (the author). Prior to getting the book, I had a brief look at some of the ideas described there and got the book to do a deeper dive. I had no idea what JTBD is prior to that, and no clue about the history of the theory.

The theory itself makes a lot of sense, and for me, it clicked in many places with my own experiences and observations about innovation and produc
Ketil Moland
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Read this book first

If you are trying to get a better understanding of the Jobs to be Done-concept, do yourself a favor and pick up this excellent book first. There are several different JTBD schools, and this book does a great job of laying out the differences between them.

If you, like me, have explored other resources before finding this one, I would recommend starting with reading chapter 16: "Appendix: Know the two – very – different interpretations of Jobs to be Done." It will help you gai
Dallyn
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book once. And then I read it again. And I keep going back to it. I've even signed up for a paperback. It's one of the best books I've read on the topic of innovation.

Alan Klement keeps the language simple and the content well edited and concise. His work is supported by past successes, mathematics and psychology. The book reflects the idea of Jobs to be Done against successful and failed products.

This book isn't only about theory. It even gives you a few ideas on how you can get st
Jack
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Klement shows you how to listen to customers and find their struggle to evolve. Aligning your company with properly conducted research around problems (not solutions!) is a great way toward success for your products. This book has great examples of companies that properly implemented JTBD (kudos for not having the overused AirBnB as an example). Succinct writing from a practitioner - low on theory, high on implementation. Definitely worth reading multiple times and should be treated as a manual ...more
Andriy Bas
Great book!

JTBD theory is very powerful! Looking through the eyes of the customer that has a Job to Be Done and hires different products/services to do this job is eye-opening. It shows how sometimes seemingly unrelated products are actually competitors.

The theory is based on the assumption that we have an intrinsic desire to improve ourselves. To become a better version of ourselves, and are working to achieve this.
For me, it seems to be only partially true, since people are super good at har
Jainil
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
their life will be better when they have the right solution". The book is a cogent presentation on why focusing on solving JTBDs is an effective approach to product development. I found myself agreeing strongly with the ideas presented and the criticism of the "disruptive innovation" model and "persona" based user research. I can see myself relying on the JTBD framework when thinking about a product idea - which at its core is this simple process:
- begin by identifying a struggle
- find innovatio
Budd Margolis
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
JTBD or "jobs to be done" which explains that consumers hire products to do tasks and if you understand that, you will be able to make products consumers desire. There are pulls and pushes which defines the purchase decision process and a few useful industry examples. But I reject the idea what Kodak made a mistake rejecting their digital camera prototype in 1975. If they had developed this, way before the tech would make this small and affordable/practical, they would have had to spend hundreds ...more
Marion
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is okay. I struggled getting through and focusing on the very theoretical and convoluted first quarter. Overall I thought the writing style was annoyingly repetitive and the book would have barely needed half the pages to get the points across.
The case studies are super interesting and made the book worthwhile for me, but it came at a cost of feeling like wasting a lot of time on excessively reiterated concepts and recited quotes from merely one page prior. Hard work. But JTBD is an aw
Deepika Bandaru
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a good job explaining the aspirational 'Job to be done' theory. The cases are diverse and fit well into the framework. But the choice of examples left me wondering about the longevity of JBTD based solutions.
Loved how the cases were practical and not merely theoretical applications. Would have appreciated it more if the author jumped into the cases sooner and spent less time pitching for the theory. The 'why I need it' went far too long before 'what it is' started.
Dancall
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book all about the ‘Jobs to the Done’ (JTBD) theory - how Revlon ‘makes cosmetics in the factory and sells hope in the drugstore’ - and how, when someone buys a drill, they are actually buying holes (or, more accurately, a tidier home). It is about what motivates people to buy what they buy, with case studies including a theatre, chocolate bars and food delivery. A lot of the theory is pretty obvious in retrospect, but great for giving you a new lens through which to see the world.
Kostas
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
For the large part I wasn't very happy with the book for a few reasons: content didn't feel well structured; there are many references to other theories, which isn't bad but it was hard to keep track if I'm reading a book about jobs to be done or something else; it seems that Alan has a problem with Clayton Christensen and it doesn't look good when this is quite visible throughout the book.
However, last few chapters and appendix 'saved' it and I would say I do recommend reading it.
Mike Hales
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great model, requires work

Once you get inside of the JTBD model, it becomes much easier to flow through the book. The challenge is in reframing your customers needs but as always the key is to talk to customers! First hand research will unlock the model faster and really help with product development.
Justinas Lapienis
A great book, and the greatest so far I've read on product development (others I've read are the Lean Startup, Rework, and something else I don't even remember anymore). This tho is the most exciting, the most important and the most transferable piece of advice or even more so of a system I am familiar with to date. Highly recommended.
Vassilena
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
A nice read. Although I've read quite a lot on Jobs-to-be-Done by now, it had some valuable points where the focus was a bit different from other sources - this helped me get a deeper understanding of the methodology.
Michael Molyneaux
Jul 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Really boring writting style. Although I buy the JBTD mantra all examples are super lame. I don't want to know how others have built products for entrepreneurs. That's not interesting. Cases where they built products for more regular people would be better. Plus, super boring writting.
Fabrizia
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book to understand JTBD theory and the different interpretations of it.
not giving 5 because i think he totally misses the point when talking about the Innovator Dilemma, while focusing on one of many examples- and not a very relevant one.
Benjamin Arp
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has some really good concepts. However, the formatting is rough, misspellings are distracting, and it could have been shorter.

Once you look past those things this is a great book for entrepreneurs, product managers, or anyone that wants to better understand products.
Jasleen Kaur
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional explanation of JTBD concept and it is so beautifully described with case studies and examples. An awesome read for anyone who even remotely wants be an innovator!
Chris Downey
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in how to understand their customers better.
Erik
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The essential book for understanding the Jobs to be Done framework for understanding customer struggles and how to think about building impactful products!
Rachel
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
[wallie]
I love this book because I'm familiar with the JTBD framework. But man, this book could be so much better with some editorial love...
Daniel Cook
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alan Klement is a curiosity to me. He seems to have loose ties to the ReWired group; you can see the distinct outline of Bob Moesta’s and Co.’s thinking throughout the book. The feud with Tony Ulwick is downright bizarre and arguably damaging for both sides (a quick Google search will initiate you into the “he-said, but he-also-said” drama).

Basically, there seems to have been a messy grab for the authoritative high-ground on JTBD in 2018 and you and I, dear reader, have the distinct pleasure of
Ola
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Re-read it and appreciated it even more, hence upgrading the rating from 4 to 5 stars. Although I do agree with other reviewers that the kind of obsessive criticism of Christensen's work is a bit annoying and unnecessary.
1mafsoom
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That's the first book about Jobs to Be Done. I didn't finish it yet and I like it so far.
Cat
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book talks about the Jobs to be Done (JTBD) framework. In this model, a customer wants to make an improvement to their life, but doesn't know how. "Jobs" represent the customer's emotional struggle to make life better. The Job is done when the customer finds a solution to overcome their struggle. The solution (product) is what the customer is using to accomplish their Job, but is not the Job itself. The key point he makes is not to focus on functionality, but instead on the customer's under ...more

• The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • Prepared: What Kids Need for a Fulfilled Life
  • Measure What Matters
  • Product Roadmaps Relaunched: How to Set Direction while Embracing Uncertainty
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • High Growth Handbook
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards
  • The Challenger Sale: Taking Control of the Customer Conversation

News & Interviews

“A Job to be Done describes the “better me.” It answers the question, “How are you better since you started using [product]?” and “Now that you have this product, what can you do now that you couldn’t do before?” 0 likes