Start by marking “Lonely Planet Japan” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Japan

Lonely Planet Japan

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
#1 best-selling guide to Japan

Lonely Planet Japan is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Explore a bamboo grove in Arashiyama, marvel at Shinto and Buddhist architecture in Kyoto, or relax in the hot springs of Noboribetsu Onsen; all with your trusted travel companion. Get to the heart of J
Paperback, 15th Edition, 928 pages
Published August 15th 2017 by Lonely Planet

To ask other readers questions about Lonely Planet Japan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Japan

Tetty Marlinda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought the book before my arrival to Japan. Never gone to this country before, so I studied many things before travelling. It helped me much to understand where to go, how to and what to do.
Tim
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good introduction to travelling around Japan, with sections on all the geographical areas of the country. If you are going to Japan, or thinking of going there, you cannot go astray by picking this up. In classic LP fashion, there are sections on culture, history, et cetera, and it will tell you much of what you should know before setting out. I enjoyed browsing through it and reading up on places I knew I would not be visiting because it gave me a good idea of what many parts of the c ...more
Valerie
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, helpful. I used it a lot—I got a lot of great ideas for what to see and a lot of background information. My one problem/suggestion is that they should give you addresses and maps with the addresses/names on them in the local language as well as in English. I got lost doing one of the Tokyo walks and being able to point to where I wanted to go and have the address in Japanese would have been immensely helpful.
Julie Shuff
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
When reviewing before my trip, this book was a bit overwhelming. It's heavy as well, though I did carry it around with me. Overall, I think it's a great reference as long as you have a larger context of where things are in relation to each other, but not great for split decision making on the ground.

Pros: I artificially seemed like an expert on Japan, even though I only knew like four phrases. This book is chock full with information, and it got to the point where the Taiwanese professor leadin
Brona's Books
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Lonely Planets are always useful for the planning stages of any holiday, although when I first picked up this new edition Japan, I felt overwhelmed by how much choice there was and didn't know where to start.

I found that the highlights at the beginning of each section helped to narrow down the choices, as did the beautiful photograph montages in the middle of most of the sections.

When we're actually on the ground, the LP helps with things like train stations, connections and useful tips abou
Nia Nymue
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read the whole book, just the sections on the places I'm going to. It's very well-organised and caters to many different "learning styles". The descriptions are current and accurate. Will definitely use it again when going to other places. Might even reread for some states just to compare descriptions with my own personal experience.
Bianca Mogos
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very very useful.
Robert Devine
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good guidebook; helpful for sight-seeing and context
Shan
Tosca
May 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
OUR STORY
A beat-up old car, a few dollars in the pocket and a sense of adventure. In 1972 that’s all Tony and Maureen Wheeler needed for the trip of a lifetime – across Europe and Asia overland to Australia. It took several months, and at the end – broke but inspired – they sat at their kitchen table writing and stapling together their first travel guide, Across Asia on the Cheap. Within a week th
“Japan has the power to enthral” 0 likes