Start by marking “Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos Northern Thailand” as Want to Read:
Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos  Northern Thailand

Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos Northern Thailand

Lonely Planet: The world's leading travel guide publisher

Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos Northern Thailand is your passport to the most relevant, up-to-date advice on what to see and skip, and what hidden discoveries await you. Tempt your tastebuds with pho noodle soup in Vietnam, sail past the limestone peaks of Halong Bay, or experience the transcendent tranquility
Published August 15th 2017 by Lonely Planet (first published March 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos Northern Thailand

Start your review of Lonely Planet Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos Northern Thailand
Christmas Carol ꧁꧂
3.5*

A travel book that gets you prepared rather than excited.

I'll confess that I didn't read the Thailand section, other than Bangkok as I'm not going there. Workmanlike coverage of all the essential facts. I'll be able to report how accurate it is after the trip!

Edit: Originally read Aug 2015, update November 2015. The book was helpful, some sections clearer than others - for example information on money machines more accurate for Thailand & Cambodia than the other 2 countries. With free wi
Nikki
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I prefer Rough Guides to Lonely Planet and found that this condenses multi-country volume lacked most of the budget options and many of the outdoor options I prefer. I used it as a basic guide for planning regions but always also picked up a free, out-of-date country guide or used WikiTravel to find the things I really enjoyed.
torque
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously didn't read it cover to cover, but used it as a travel tool for almost five weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia. Very useful with the maps, when a bus would dump me in a new city, to find the areas with hotels, sights and places to eat. Although, I would pick up better maps once in the city.

The downside is that everybody else is traveling around with the same book, so you end up traveling the similar routes, eating in the same places and staying at the same hotels as everybody else. Several
Shavon
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-culture
Much better than I expected. Not as much of the “roughing it” advice typically found in Lonely Planet books. The book provides a good feel for the region’s history and culture and why it is a must do part of a well-traveled person’s itinerary.
Marit
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot of information to gather here but the book is not a pleasure to read. Probably a better on-the-ground resource, but I won't bring it along because it is too clunky. A bit of a wash.
Julie Hall
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for planning travels in SE Asia.
Paul
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, it's difficult to say you've 'finished' a travel guide, but I've just returned from three months travelling in Southeast Asia, and this book served me well.
Julie
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential for any trip to cambodia and vietnam!
Jenny M
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best (most helpful) LPs I've ever used. (But note that I'm only covering Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos on this trip. Vietnam is on the list for a future trip!)
Stephanie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good travel guide tells you not just about the places to eat and sleep, but about the history and customs and the "between the lines" stuff that you may not get otherwise. This book provided a great introduction to Southeast Asia-- a place I had never dreamed of visiting and had a bit of trepidation because of my knowledge gaps. There is so much history and local tradition included in Lonely Planet's guide, that I read it cover to cover and checked it every morning for the tidbits it gave ...more
Sancho
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We used this book during our month-long trip in the Mekong area (Thailand, Laos and Cambodia). It was very helpful and we trusted it with hotels, restaurants and sites. It has good and reliable information and we had no problems at all.

Laos was the best in my opinion, but this is not the place to talk about it!
Jules
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction, travel
Great little travel guide with just the right amount of detail without being to thick and heavy to drag around.
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to prepare for my first trip to Asia and took it with me to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. It was accurate, genuinely helpful and very entertaining to read.
Megan

• Batman - Il Cavaliere Oscuro n. 1: Arkham
  • Moon Angkor Wat: With Siem Reap & Phnom Penh
  • Cambodia
  • Greater Than a Tourist- Bali Indonesia: 50 Travel Tips from a Local
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • I Have Everything I Need
  • BALI - Zen Traveller: A Quick Guide for Bali Travelers
  • Encyclopedia Brown Gets His Man (Encyclopedia Brown, #4)
  • New Zealand Travel Guide: Things I Wish I'D Known Before Going To New Zealand (2019 EDITION Book 1)
  • Trigger Mortis
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • The Many Conditions of Love