Start by marking “The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig” as Want to Read:
The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig

The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig

Janesville, Wisconsin (cold in the sense that there is no God)
1994

The worst thing that's ever happened to Craig is also the best: Amy. Amy and Craig never should've gotten together. Craig is an awkward, Dungeons & Dragons-playing geek, and Amy is the beautiful, fiercely intelligent student-body president of their high school.

Yet somehow they did. Until Amy dumped him.
Published October 2nd 2018 by Disney-Hyperion

Don Zolidis
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
So I may have written this book, but I will say clearly that it is the best thing I've ever done. So there.
Tiffany
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the good fortune to get an advance proof of this title, and I'm really glad I did. YA isn't a frequent genre (age bracket?) for me to read, but given that I finished this in two days, I'd say that this was a welcome and engaging departure from my usual fare. The author captures small-town Wisconsin and all its weirdness perfectly - deer widows indeed. And the group of his friends - they're so accurate to my teenage experience that it's almost painful. I nearly laughed out loud in a restaur ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, I want to thank Zolidis for warning me that though this is a love story, there would be no HEA. So, yeah, he warned me, but I just kept hoping the outcome would change, because I am the sappiest sap alive. He prepared me for it, but I still cried.

This book is called The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig, but to me, this was really Craig's story. It was the story of his first love and subsequent heartbreak, but it also chronicled a rather cataclysmic year in his life, which I gu
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Are you Okay?” she asked
“What?”
“You seem a little messed up.”
“I’m getting dumped! And I’m probably having an aneurysm or something.”
“I’m sorry.”
“I would appreciate in the future if you would stop breaking up with me.”

This was a beautifully bittersweet love story that was so grounded in realism and authenticity that I fell head over heels, and had my heartbroken alongside Amy and Craig. The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig details the on-again off-again romance between Amy and Craig. We explo
Thamy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2018
The book starts with a spoiler, this is not a happy ending. And yet, you still read it all the time wondering how it will actually end.

3.5, because of a loss in pace around the ending.

Craig is an awkward nerd but he has finally made a move on Amy, one of the most popular girl in school. When they become boyfriend and girlfriend, Amy soon dumps Craig until then they get back together and repeat.

Told in a non linear form by Craig himself starting from one of their breakups before we learn how they
Samantha Clark
This is not your average YA love story, but it's a realistic one. In THE SEVEN TORMENTS OF AMY AND CRAIG, the couple are together, then they're not, then together, then not, then together... You see where I'm going with this. And this isn't a spoiler. It's on the jacket copy and the ending is predicted in the book's first line.
But the brilliance of this book is not in any surprises in the plot; it's in the real look at the uncertainty of teenage years and teenage love. It's hard to give yourself
Books and Guacamole
I was prepared for this book to be hilarious, which it was. What I wasn’t prepared for was for it to be genuinely touching. Craig’s journey through his seven breakups with the same girl is a thoughtful and moving depiction of growing up and recognizing your own faults.
Kelly
This is the epitome of the kind of love story I love in YA: there's an ending that feels utterly deserved and that you're told right away would happen (it's not a romance with a capital R), and both of the characters have good and not-so-good qualities to them. Zolidis tells this story in a nonlinear fashion, taking us from the middle of Amy and Craig's rocky relationship, then to the beginning, and then through to the end. We see both characters become well-fleshed, and we see their flaws in po ...more
Gary Anderson
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who’s ready for a funny YA book? The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig is the first novel from the prolific, frequently-produced playwright Don Zolidis. This on-again-off-again romance is told from Craig’s point of view as Amy breaks up with him not once, not twice, but you guessed it—seven times. Craig is understandably tormented by all this, although his sense of humor keeps the story light and downright funny, even when the plot turns more serious toward the end. Threading through Craig’s expla ...more
Rhiannon Richardson
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Craig is a senior in high school struggling to be a nerd in the small town of Janesville, Wisconsin. He’s been an outcast at school, at home, and sometimes even with his friends; but his whole life changes when he starts dating Amy. She is the best thing in his life, proof that taking a chance can lead to success. She’s also the worst thing in his life, proof that risk-taking can land you facedown in the snow with your heart broken.

This is the funniest book I’ve read in a long time. I relate to
Mischa Thrace
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don Zolidis' debut YA is destined to be a hit. By turns laugh-out-loud funny and heart-achingly bittersweet, The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig features an engaging cast of characters and the kind of realistic romance that,many teens will be able to relate to. Highly recommended!
Brenda Ayala
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yallwest-2018
Craig is an obnoxious and self-obsessed butthead who can’t focus on anything else but his own minor problems.

He’s also freaking funny because he’s such an idiot and learns how to NOT be an idiot, so there’s a nice redemption arc that makes reading this book have a nice pay off.

Amy was your typical teenager, acting as though no one will ever understand her and saying things like “it’s better off for you if we aren’t together,” all passive aggressive and shit. I enjoyed it for its authenticity but
Ben O'Neal
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher, I think the way that Don Zolidis portrays young romance is so spot on. There's none of the romanticized, sickly-sweet romanticizing that can be so detrimental to young relationships. I don't mean to say that it isn't a good story. It definitely is. It's real and down to earth in a way that I haven't seen in a while.
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5 Stars

Readable and interesting, but lacking that special something. I liked reading about the nerdy parts and thought the high school heartbreak parts felt so true. But I wanted that one extra THING to happen to take this book to the next level.
Beth
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I didn't just like this book because I can deeply rate to '90s something nerds (although I can).

I didn't just like this book because it made me laugh out loud (which it did).

I didn't just like this book because it's non-linear and follows an emotional arc rather than a chronological one (and I appreciate creative storytelling like that).

I didn't JUST like it for those reasons, although they were all part of why I fell hard for this book about a boy who falls hard for a complicated girl. More tha
Nancy Summers
Seven Torments chronicles the on-again, off-again romance of Amy and Craig over the course of their senior year. Craig, the geeky Dungeons and Dragons aficionado, is amazed to find that Amy, the beautiful and determined class president is interested in him and they start an unlikely romance. The two main characters are each struggling with trying to reconcile their pasts and figuring out what the future may hold for them. Craig, somewhat of a social outcast living in the shadow of his athletic a ...more
T.M. Hall
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cleverly structured book that creates a page-turner in that we know this dude is going to be dumped seven times and we need to know why. I loved the male perspective on relationships and whether you're a girl or boy yourself, you'll be entertained by this book, and gain romance tips from a unique perspective.
Isidora
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the book I would highly reccomemd!
I liked the writing style and the atmosphere was magnificient. It really felt like I actually were in the 90s. Author is really skilled with words and that blew my mind.And that's the main reason why I gave this book 4 stars. I would like to read this author's next book, just because the way the author manipulates and weave words and how I ended up sucked right in this world. But, there is a reason why this wasn't a 5 star read for me.
My main problem wi
Tammy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a teacher of ELA, I'm always interested in books for my students to enjoy. Most YA "romance" books have a feminine slant and are a hard sell for my guys. The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig is a great book for guys, and girls as well. I immediately bonded with Craig. As a twin, I know what it's like to be practically the same as someone else and yet feel lesser-than. Craig has the wonderful and vulnerable quality I felt very protective of. My heart broke for him. Maybe it's because I have a d ...more
Matthew Black
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The amount of love and care put into this book is so so evident. I’m so incredibly in awe of how realistic and wonderful this book is. If I could recommend one book every year, this would be the one. A+ work from one of my favorite authors. So excited for the rest of the world to experience what I did.
ItsMeFray
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don Zolidis is a genius! He has created a realistic love story that I could see happening in real life. The best part is that you know how it will end but it still surprises you. I would never imagine Don Zolidis would make me cry, but he did. This master piece should be in everyone's TBR pile ASAP. Thank you for this amazing novel that speaks to the soul.
Jakkob
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing in every way, the story is humorous, awesome, and fun

It made me laugh so many times. Whenever you open up the book, it just fills you up with joy
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour, possess
I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Pro: I really liked Craig and thought he was a wonderful perspective for this story!

Pro: I thought the high school experience was authentic and made me remember a teenage version of myself. I remember falling in love and not being able to see when a relationship wasn't working.

Pro: I loved the setting!
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, physical-2018
How can I properly review this book? Not only is it set in one of the best decades to have grown up in, it was full of deeply flawed characters that made me want to hug them.

The overall story was far more complex than I was prepared for. Craig was a bit of a social outcast and constantly struggled to find his own identity in the shadow of his twin sister. Amy had a learning disability that she was determined to prove would not hold her back in any way. The journey these two went on to find a way
Kat
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious. It had me bursting out laughing while I was listening to it in my car. HIGHLY recommend!
Dhyan Patel
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off, I would like to say, I am currently doing one of Don Zolodis's plays, Game of Tiaras. It is amazing... but not as amazing as this. The way you play with our minds in such a way is wonderful, and the flat-out bittersweet storyline is so hysterical and unique.
Lone Tree Reviews
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has to be one of the most realistic YA books that I read in a long time, set in a decade that I will forever love! You start the book with just one of the seven break-up's between Amy and Craig, from there you will go on this journey of teenage love that is happy one moment and tearful the next. Craig being the nerd that he is just never imagined that a beautiful, smart girl like Amy will ever fall for him but that's where their story starts to get complicated in a way that makes this ...more
Chrissie Morrison
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trying to summarize and categorize this book is rather difficult.  It's not so much because I am worried about spoiling things, but because the story defies all logic.  I mean, how could a book that talks about repeated break-ups be absolutely hilarious?  And, yet...  It was.  How could a story that gives away the ending keep readers hooked and wondering what happens next?  I don't quite know, but it did!  The biggest problem I had with this book was that I thought it was hilarious and kept stop ...more
Sarah Michele
I loved this book.

I think I would have loved it even if I hadn't been a nerdy teenager in the 1990s (these characters graduate from high school in 1994; I graduated in 1995), but Don has managed to so effectively capture that particular experience* that I can't separate the plot from the setting. I cackled out loud numerous times, I read bits of it out loud to anyone who was nearby, whether or not they wanted to hear it.

The nonlinear narrative gives it an organic feel - you get dropped in the m
Sarah (The Clever Reader)
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This quirky YA Contemporary will take you back to your first high school boyfriend/girlfriend and remind you of all the uncertainty that came with it. The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig is a uniquely written contemporary that takes you back and forth between the past and present, from the first break up to the last break up, and the people you’ll meet along the way.

Craig is your typical teenage boy who loves dungeons and dragons, and comic books. He is the awkward kid with the awkward friends w
Emotional Connection? 1 6 Apr 09, 2018 07:09AM
  • I Love Him to Pieces (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #1)
  • Last Night at the Telegraph Club
  • Who Killed Christopher Goodman?
  • The Chaos of Now
  • If You're Out There
  • The Quiet You Carry
  • Lost Soul, Be At Peace
  • Summer Love
Originally from Wisconsin, Don Zolidis is a novelist and one of the most-produced playwrights in America.

His 102 published plays have received more than 12,000 productions and have appeared in every state and 64 countries.

His first novel, The Seven Torments of Amy and Craig, will be published by Disney-Hyperion in October 2018.

He currently splits time between Texas and New York and aspires to o
“There's a concept in Wisconsin called deer widows, which is basically when all the menfolk leave town to go on their [hunting] trips and the women are left behind, bewildered and confused, to do whatever it is women do without men. (Celebrate.)” 1 likes
“Was mom pissed?"
"Women get pissed about all kinds of things. It's best not to even think about it. Now, normally, I would tell you not to use the word pissed. But we're in the woods, and we're men. And we can use the word pissed."
"Can I use the word fuck?"
"Can your mom hear you?
"I don't think so."
"Well, there's your answer then. Out here in the woods we will swear like men.”
1 likes