Start by marking “Summary - Hillbilly Elegy: By James David Vance - A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis (Hillbilly Elegy: A Full Summary - Book, A Memoir, Paperback, Audiobook, Audible, Hardcover, Summary)” as Want to Read:

A Complete Summary of Hillbilly Elegy
Hillbilly Elegy, or by its full name, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis is sort of a historical book. The book is written by JD (James David by author’s full name) Vance and in it the author tries to describe the overall life and struggles of people in post-industrial time in the United States. This book deal
Kindle Edition
Published October 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Summary - Hillbilly Elegy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summary - Hillbilly Elegy

Bruce Greene
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir comes highly recommended. It's on everybody's list. Who doesn't enjoy a new twist on the Horatio Alger saga. When a young man comes from Appalachian poverty to the halls of Yale law school that's quite an accomplishment.
I was particularly looking forward to Vance's analysis of Southern poverty as well as Appalachian values and culture in the changing political environment. He did not disappoint but rest assured this book is more a personal memoir than a sociological analysis.
Partic
Loie
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub-books
I read this book at the insistence of my sister who found it particularly interesting as it relates to our current political environment. Being familiar with the area made this a bit more relatable. I can't say that I learned too much or was surprised by much. The sad thing to me, is that the people who should read this book probably never will. Vance does a good job explaining how difficult it is to move vertically in our society. Both the resources at home and at school are sorely lacking. Kno ...more
MamaCat
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written personal account of what it means to be a ’hillbilly' - which is a label that accounts for more people in our society than you realize. Takes off the blinders that too many of us who are fortunate to have loving, stable and in-tact families wear to look beyond what we often account for as 'white trashy.' That label us too easy to use and discounts the how's and whys of this culture.
Martha
Sep 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started to read this book & have to admit I didn't finish it. It was well written from A historical perspective however it was like reading one long essay. I had hoped I would get to read about individual people in their lives rather than theories.
Brittney Minton
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUST read!!!!! Pulls you into a fascinating culture that most can only imagine. Books should open our eyes to the differences in our world to help us hone our empathetic ways. This certainly does that!
Paul
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this to get to know the Trump followers a bit better - found the conservative rhetoric a bit annoying (and revisionist) but well worth a read to get a picture of a different America...
Gerri
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story totally took me by surprise. I found, yet another area in the USA that lives in ways and in places that never even entered my mind. SO HAPPY I read it. I love America!
Jean
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the book not the summary. Interesting, some good points
Terry McIntire
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although you may not like or approve of the people in the book, it is a fascinating look into the "hillbilly" culture. A movie being made should be good.
Debbie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning is slow but stick with it! Insightful as hell.
Pat
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't read the book. Needed it for book club but there is a long waiting list at the library and it's not out in paper back. This summary gives a good overview of the subject and tenor of the book. It really isn't something I am interested in so will pass on reading it.
Donna Fugate
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading the summary, I can't wait to read this book.

This book was recommended to me by a very dear friend who has told me that she and her husband both read it and found it fascinating.

I am hoping that it touches on medical issues and medical anomalies as well as I am a descendent of the Blue Fugate's of Kentucky.
Steve
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Over-rated and under-thought.
Karen Schneider
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What helps some survive when the odds are against them?
Anne
Kevin Shea
Feb 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Learning to Fall: The Blessings of an Imperfect Life
  • Acts of Faith: The Story of an American Muslim, the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation
  • The Scent of Water: Grace for Every Kind of Broken
  • Carry On: Two Young Men, a Journalist Who Wouldn't Walk Away, and the Creation of an Unlikely Family
  • There Your Heart Lies
  • My (Underground) American Dream: My True Story as an Undocumented Immigrant Who Became a Wall Street Executive
  • The Dangerous Animals Club
  • Threading My Prayer Rug: One Woman's Journey from Pakistani Muslim to American Muslim
  • The Theft of Memory: Losing My father, One Day at a Time