Start by marking “Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)

Cowboys Don't Come Out

(Cowboys Don't #1)

Rand McIntyre settles for good enough. He loves his small California ranch, raising horses, and teaching riding to the kids he adores—but having kids of his own and someone to love means coming out, and that would jeopardize everything he’s built. Then, despite his terror of flying, he goes on a holiday to Hana, Hawaii, with his parents and meets the dark and mysterious ...more
Published December 7th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Cowboys Don't Come Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cowboys Don't Come Out

Start your review of Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I had high hopes for this book because cowboys, and Hawaiian cowboys (panilolos) at that. Or at least Kai is a paniolo. Rand is just a plain ol' California cowboy who runs his own tourist ranch specializing in horse riding lessons.

Rand hates leaving his space (and hates flying even more), but when his parents invite him to spend Christmas with them in Hawaii, he feels obliged to go.

Rand meets Kai on a dance floor, and they spark up a friendship that gets hot and steamy faster than you can say
Jewel
2.5 Stars

I saw Cowboys Don't Come Out and immediately thought-- "Hawaiian cowboy and California cowboy? Sign me up!" But...well, it didn't work for me as well as I hoped it would. And that makes me sad, because I think it could have been awesome.

The story concept, two cowboys who have stayed closeted for whatever reasons, find each other and discover that they can't live without one another, I really really like. And the setting, in Hawaii, appeals to me quite a lot, I mean, why wouldn't it? So,
BWT (Belen)
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was excited for this but, to be honest, just didn't feel like the story on the whole worked for me.

I knew from the blurb that the relationship would move quickly, and I understood it would be insta-love, which requires really good writing or the ability of the reader to suspend disbelief...but it moved at such a breakneck pace that I felt like the chemistry between the characters never really developed. Even the sex scenes, to me, didn't really convey more than getting off.

I suppose part of
Jenni Lea
Nov 13, 2016 marked it as i-dunno-maybe

Wait. Hold on just a dadgum minute here.

This book is about a cowboy named Rand? Really?

Diverse
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t sure I was going to like this book and I was right. I ended up loving it! Cowboys Don’t Come Out is one of those stories where you know what needs to be done and you wait for the characters to figure it out.

This is so much more than a romance; it’s a story about family. Kai lives in Hawaii with his brother and sister. He’s sacrificed his whole life for them and harbors so much guilt, sadness, and low self-esteem. He’s gay and so far in the closet he’s living in Narnia.

Rand is a
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookviews
Welcome to my stop on the Cowboys Don't Come Out tour! I just love Tara Lain's stories, and this one was no different - prepare to be swooned!

Review - (un)Conventional Bookviews

Cowboys Don't Come Out is such a sweet and tender story! And Lain managed to bring so many truths into it, while using the characters to move the story along, too. Rand and Kai are both cowboys, and they both think they can't let anyone know they're gay - for different reasons. Kai is quite
Sara
1 Heart

So this one didn’t work for me.

I am usually a sucker for the closeted MC and when you have two, well color this ginger happy because it’s double the swoon… but it wasn’t.

For me, when a character is so deep in the closet as both Rand and Kai are, I need to know why. I need to know so I can be on the journey with them to coming out. But I never got the depth of need for either of them to hide in this and with that, never came the chance for me to feel any emotion for either of the men.

Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
This is the first book I have read by Tara Lain. I was intrigued by the synopsis and not disappointed at all by the the story!

This one has lots of perks! Single "dad" Kai, looking out for his younger siblings, two hot cowboys with very different personalities, vacation romance, and a blossoming love story even though both Rand and Kai believe the story needs to end in Hawaii.

The author does a great job setting the scene for the reader. I was immediately sucked into Rand's life and his need to
Morgan  Skye
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, audio, 2017, series
This was a fast paced, relatively low angst and medium steam-filled romance - with kids and cowboys in Hawaii over the Holidays! So, it's got a little bit of something for everyone.
The reasons for these guys staying in the closet was reasonable, which I was glad to see, because I was worried about that from the blurb. Kai, especially, I understood as needing to be circumspect in all things. Rand had been hurt - badly - in the past, so I saw his reasoning as well.
Things moved quickly - you have
Sandra
I absolutely loved this book, and I think the narration increased my enjoyment. K.C. Kelly is a favorite narrator of mine, his voice is sort of unique so I'm not sure if he just choses amazing books to read, but I almost always love them. He seemed to slip in and out of Kai's accent a tad, and sometimes Rand seemed to have a Hawaiian flare, but it didn't really bother me. He did well with the Hawaiin pronunciations and the Hawaiian characters felt believable. Especially Aliki for some reason!

The
Angelique
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oke I was really looking forward too reading this on.
bought it and now,I feel short chanced.
The first part is way too slow paced.
There is barely a spark or really sexy times.
It is drama after drama,but no real angst.
things wraps up to easy and nice.
I did not see ,joy or fun.
It is not a big read,but I did loose several times
interest.not a good thing.

pitty,the blurb was good
Chappy
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I do love me some sexy cowboys.

I liked that Rand is not your typical cowboy. He loves to dance and (view spoiler). Poor Kai has a lot of responsibilities on his shoulders and he finally realizes that Rand can take some of that weight.
Jessie G.
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tara-lain
When Evette PMs me and tells me I have to read a book, I rarely hesitate. This time she started with "I'm about halfway through and I'm just waiting for it to break my heart!" Now, a smart girl would run. Me? No, I perked right up. After going back on forth on the dire consequences if this book didn't have an HEA and how I might be able to hear her tears all the way in Florida, I set aside the book I was reading and dived in. And holy buckets of tears. And laughter. And hot cowboys. Did I ...more
Jodi Ciorciari-marinich
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tara'a stories always catch my attention and the blurb for this one was no different. It is about 2 cowboys. Who doesnt love that!
Rand is a cowboy from Texas on vacation in Hawaii with his family. Kai is a cowboy from Hawaii trying to take care of his family. Both men have issues and arent out to either of their families but I thought they really did compliment each other. Kai caught Rand's attention when he saw him riding near the hotel but doesnt know who he is. They happen to meet at a club
Lelyana
What's not to love about two closeted cowboys falling in love?
The cover is so gorgeous (ehem, I have a weak knees for cowboys...), the blurb convinced me to read this.
While I really wanted to love the story, I was kinda need to do some protest to the author about 'romantic time' between Kai and Rand.
Sure I loved love at first sight, insta-love in a holiday seasons...Nothing more romantic than that!
But, I can't see any strong 'love chemistry' between Rand and Kai even until the end of the story.
Angie
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful story about two cowboys who find their home in each other. Rand has been hiding his sexuality since a terrible incident as a teenager. Kai has been keeping his entire life a secret since he was a teenager. Being out seems impossible to both of them but they can't fight their attraction to one another. As they become closer, Rand begins to think that maybe he could have everything he wants but Kai's become so used to getting nothing that he pushes his cowboy away. With a ...more
Meggie
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, family, cowboys
Something simply didn't click for me in Cowboys Don't Come Out. Sure both MC were interesting, but nothing more. The main romance between Rand and Kai was blah, to be truthful. And the sex, just no, no! Wow and ending was way to rushed.
kathleen
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tara Lain has written some of my favorite books and Cowboys Don't Come Out didn'ntdisappoint!
She creates characters you truly become invested with. I loved the interaction between Rand and Kai.
Jordan
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 - Okay, let me start by saying that cowboy books are usually immediately crossed off of my potential reading list. However, since this is Tara Lain (she's never let me down before) and I'm a complete sucker for K.C. Kelly (narrator), I decided to give it a go.

And I am oh so happy I did. This book made me happy on all of the levels. I grew up in the midwest, and while that's not technically "the south," I grew up around farmers and ranchers. The part that makes most cowboy books so difficult
Qin
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Like Lady Diana in her monster of a wedding dress, the story in this jarringly paced book gets lost sight of among all the frills and flounces of literary inspiration running empty. The snap formula of the title accurately conveys all there is to it, and it does not amount to much: most unrealistically taking for granted the axioma beyond The Secret of Brokeback Mountain (in a fashion, I shall add, which might not have been conceived as patronizing but which most certainly seems so, given the ...more
Annie
Waffling between 3-3.5 stars

Cowboys Don’t Come Out is a hard book to review. Despite having issues with the writing style, instalove, and some extreme cheesiness, I liked the characters and their story. Both the narrator and author were new to me, so I went in not really knowing what to expect, but the story held my attention and the narrator delivered a solid performance.

Beginning with a standard enough plotline, Cowboys Don’t Come Out features two closeted men who meet while one is
Shee Reader
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cowboys Don’t Come Out by Tara Lain (audio) narrated by K C Kelly

Review by Shee Reader for Boy Meets boy reviews

Find us on the web at www.boymeetsboyreviews.com

Rating 4.75 hearts

Rand McIntyre settles for good enough. He loves his small California ranch, raising horses, and teaching riding to the kids he adores - but having kids of his own and someone to love means coming out, and that would jeopardize everything he's built. Then, despite his terror of flying, he goes on a holiday to Hana,
Amyiw
3 1/2
This was really cute. Two closested cowboys that meet when one is on vacation in Hawaii. The Hawaiian cowboy has a lot of responsibilities to his family and his 2 young 1/2 siblings. Rand owns a ranch in California, which is very different than the family business of becoming a lawyer. They are immediately attracted to one another but it takes a while for them to figure it out as they have very little practice, since neither date. So the way they get together and become an item, which
Michelle Dee
2.5 Stars

This was a weird one. As I was reading it I couldn't decide whether I liked it or not, and before I knew it I had finished it without having ever mind up my mind on the matter. I still can't really make up my mind, so I figured leaving with a rating smack-bang in the middle of the scale is the only thing to do.

I think there were things I really liked about this and things I really didn't.

Like : The setting. I always love the opportunity to learn a little about a different place, and
Patricia Nelson
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you mix closeted cowboys, beautiful Hawaiian scenery, smart kids, a loyal brother willing to do anything to keep his family together, and sex hot enough to melt your ereader? You get Tara Lain's fresh, original, and modern twist on the old cowboy stereotype that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Melanie~~
What’s not to love about Tara Lain writing about cowboys in Hawaii! Super sweet story with some mild angst. Can’t wait to read the next in the series.
Yrisa
Awesome story! 5 stars are not enough!

I think I love it even better than Knight of Ocean Avenue and Canning the Center
Anne
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, 3-5, series, lgbtq
Not bad. A little white saviour-ish. Over the top drama towards the end but good writing and great romance.
Lena Grey
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“...There's many a young boy who feels things he can't comprehend...No, a small town don't like it when a cowboy has feelings for men. Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other... there's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels for his brother...And there's always somebody who says what the others just whisper. And mostly that someone's the first one to get shot down dead...” ~ Willie Nelson - 'Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other'

Rand McInyre loves his
Evette
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Loved it.
Instalove-check
Cowboys-double check
Incredible secondary characters-check check check
HEA that left me in a puddle of happy-infinity check

First we meet Rand, a closeted cowboy whose fear of being outed is closely aligned with his fear of heights. Pain, anguish and confusion are all wrapped up in his identity, and he’s a good son who wants to make his parents (read mom) happy. He is just a truly good guy. He has decided that love is not in the cards. I didn’t get the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bonfires (Bonfires #1)
  • A Second Harvest (Men of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Alpha Barman (J.T's Bar #1)
  • You Never Know
  • Flash Rip
  • When the Dust Settles (Timing, #3)
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • Kairos
  • Until Forever Comes (Mates, #2)
  • His Consort
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Against the Grain (THIRDS, #5)
  • Red Dirt Heart 4 (Red Dirt, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara had the first novel she ever wrote accepted for publication in 2011. She’s now on book 45 and counting. After an exotic life of travel all over the world ...more

Cowboys Don't (3 books)
  • Cowboys Don't Ride Unicorns (Cowboys Don't, #2)
  • Cowboys Don't Samba (Cowboys Don't #3)