Start by marking “Ducks Don't Wear Socks” as Want to Read:
Ducks Don't Wear Socks

Ducks Don't Wear Socks

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  536 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Emily is a serious girl. She enjoys serious things like bird-watching, math, and playing the cello. But one day while she's taking a walk, Emily runs into Duck, who is anything but serious . . . "Duck," asked Emily. "What are you wearing?"
"Socks!" yelled Duck.
"Ducks don't wear socks," replied Emily seriously.
"Cold feet!" yelled Duck, and off he went.

Through a series of
Published April 17th 2008 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Ducks Don't Wear Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ducks Don't Wear Socks

Rossy
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so adorable I want to eat it.
Duck is a lovable, cute, charming, fun character. He is so witty and inventive!
Emily is a serious girl, but meeting Duck makes her live change, makes her be more open to having fun, and LAUGHING!
The final scene is perfect, I honestly laughed out loud and I am still very happy about it :)
Amy Whitmer
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs642
Ducks Don't Wear Socks is about a little girl named Emily who is described as "very serious". She meets a duck who is wearing socks. Over the course of several days, Emily sees the duck wearing numerous other items of clothing. At first this perplexes her and she states that ducks can't wear these articles of clothing, but the duck always protests with an explanation as to why he needs each item. Over time she starts to loosen up and finally begins to see the humor in what is happening. By the e ...more
Amy Forrester
Nov 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emily was a very serious girl. So she is not at all amused when she sees Duck wearing socks and riding a unicycle! She informs him that, “Ducks don’t wear socks.” Duck replies, “Cold feet!” and cycles off. The next day Duck is pleased to show Emily that he’s not wearing socks, but Emily points out, quite seriously, that he’s wearing a tie. Each day Emily encounters Duck wearing a different item of clothing, a cowboy hat, boots, even underwear, until she just can’t keep a straight face anymore! T ...more
Devan
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
A little girl sees a duck wearing a different piece of clothing each day. At first she thinks its weird, because she is very serious about everything. But soon she starts to find it funny. In the end she ends up wearing a Duck suit and makes the duck laugh.
Critique:
I think it is a great book for kids. Often children can become very focused on things, which can be good for them, but if they are too serious it takes the fun out of it. This book reminds them to have fun and laugh at silly t
Barbara
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreSchool - Gr 2
Summary (CIP): Emily, a serious girl, meets a duck who helps her see the more humorous side of life.

REVIEW: This wacky, just-for-fun picture book will entertain preschoolers and beginning readers with its simple text and great visual clues and action. Duck’s antics, including always-good-for-laughs references to underwear, gradually encourage serious Emily to lighten up and she finally makes duck laugh too. The art is lively, clear, and cartoon-like, making this book great storytime or read-alou
Romanus Elangwe
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
This is a humorous story between "serious" Emily and Duck. Emily meets with a duck who wears socks and day after day he changes his outfits to look like an executive officer with a tie, a cowboy with a hat, boots to plow like a farmer, and underwear! Emily keeps reminding Duck each time they meet that ducks don't wear this kind of articles; but Duck always has a reason why he has those articles on. Serious Emily is amused and starts to smile each time she see Duck in the different attires. In th ...more
April
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
1. Rating: 4
2. Book review from Children's Literature said, "This delightful tale with charming illustrations is a story about personalities and change. Emily is a serious little girl, unlike Duck, who is light-hearted and fun-loving. Duck helps Emily see the more humorous side of life because he disregards what Emily announces to be appropriate behavior, and does what makes him happy."
3. I thought this book had great illustrations; I loved the colors and full-page spreads that were used. I also
Ruhama
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"Emily was a serious girl." Though this is the only written description, we learn much about Emily through the illustrations: she takes cello lessons, her mom takes her to fancy cafés and she enjoys bird watching. And that's where her seriousness gets tried: one day she sees a duck wearing socks. Then he's wearing a tie. The last thing she sees him wearing is, of course, underwear, which makes her giggle. This fun story will make you laugh, and the pictures amplify the text beautifully: soft, cl ...more
Beverly
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Emily is a serious. Duck is wacky. When they first meet, Duck is wearing socks, followed by a tie, a cowboy hat, and underwear. Despite herself, Emily can’t help began to smile. Each time Emily questions Duck’s attire, he is always ready with a brief and silly reply as he scurries on his way. The more outlandish is outfits become, the more Emily loosens up. In the end, Emily turns the tables and it is her turn to dress outlandishly and make Duck laugh. This wacky, light hearted provides a great ...more
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ducks Don't Wear Socks is a funny, fast-paced children's book following the serious Emily and the silly Duck. Each day Emily sees Duck wearing a new article of clothing while travelling about in a whirlwind of activity. At first, Emily tries to understand why a duck would be wearing suck silly attire. As the story progresses, we see Emily lighten up a little and realize that it's ok to be silly. The last straw is seeing Duck in hid underwear, which brings poor Emily to tears from giggling too ha ...more
Brandi S
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this adorable picture book because the little girl, Emily, reminded me of myself. She was extremely serious about everything in life until she came upon a silly little duck wearing socks. Each day she saw the duck he was wearing a different silly accessory, even sporting underwear one sunny afternoon on his boat! Through their meetings, Emily realizes that there is more to life than just being serious, and that it is okay to let loose and just be silly at times! This is actual ...more
Amy Harris
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Nedwidek, J. and White, L. (2008). Ducks Don���t Wear Socks. Viking: Penguin Group.
Picture Book Soak. Emily is a serious girl. In the first illustration she is reading ���The Big Book of Serious Things��� and is wearing a scowl and an arched eyebrow. As the story progresses, Emily encounters the duck wearing increasingly silly bits of clothing - socks, a tie, cowboy hat - and a silly reason for each - ���cold feet���, ���big meeting���, and ���late for the roundup!��� And Emily learns to laugh.
Amy
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Nedwidek, J. and White, L. (2008). Ducks Don’t Wear Socks. Viking: Penguin Group.
Picture Book Soak. Emily is a serious girl. In the first illustration she is reading “The Big Book of Serious Things” and is wearing a scowl and an arched eyebrow. As the story progresses, Emily encounters the duck wearing increasingly silly bits of clothing - socks, a tie, cowboy hat - and a silly reason for each - “cold feet”, “big meeting”, and “late for the roundup!” And Emily learns to laugh. Colorful illustrat
Sheniqua
Emily is so serious. She can't believe this duck is wearing socks, then a tie, and even underwear. As she she keeps running into the duck, Emily becomes a little less serious. In the end, she becomes a duck just like Duck and even manages to laugh. This a great book about love, friendship, and happiness. It would also be great to teach sequencing events, making predictions, and drawing conclusions.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is MY kind of book. The language is sparse, to the point and punchy. The theme is a little girl who learns to take life a little less seriously, thanks to her wackadoodle friend who only she seems to notice. (Great solution to autonomous main characters - Mom is there, but oblivious.) The illustrations are wonderful and slightly dreamy. I could have done without the last line and just had the image. Otherwise, a great read.
Leah Puckett
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-emotional
This book is cute and could be used for social emotional. The duck represents opening up your shell and enjoying the friends around us. The graphics in this book are full of color. The illustrator did a wonderful job drawing the different faces of the little girl give the duck on her quest to happiness.

Learning Experience:
Have the students pair up with another student and act out and retell the story in their own way. Repeat so both students get to play each part.
Mary Lou
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of Devon's favorites. We checked it out on a whim once and then giggled the whole way through it for the 3 weeks we had it checked out. Months later he was still quoting it and so we finally bought it. He loves how "serious" Emily is so intrigued by "crazy" duck. Duck is of course his very favorite.
Skye Kilaen
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A laugh-out-loud one (and I say this as not much of a laugh-out-loud person.) Emily is very serious, Duck is really not. What gets me aren't just the objections Emily lodges when Duck wears various clothing items, but Duck's explanations for them. Completely logical yet completely ludicrous if you're a duck.
Melanie
Emily is a very serious child. One day she sees Duck on a bike wearing socks! She's confused; ducks don't wear socks. But this duck has cold feet, hence the socks! Emily continues to see the duck in different situations and finally learns to smile and laugh and even make a joke of her own!

A great book for storytime. Lots of laughs!
Shannon
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My daughter loves this book, so much so that we went out and bought it after borrowing it from the library. The story is sweet and funny and the illustrations are great. The length is good for younger kids and they will know and understand the majority of the words.
Best for ages 3-6, but I think the younger ones will find it the funniest.
Emilly
This was a very fun book to read! I loved the illustrations and thought that the tory was really funny and cute! i think it is important too teach kids that they don't have to be serious all the time and this book is a good way to show this. i like that the story progresses day by day showing you Emily's changes and the Duck growing on her.
Jackie
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Emily is a VERY serious child, but when she meets duck and his crazy antics, she can't help but smile and giggle. Duck wears boots, hats, socks, ties, and underwear...Emily insists that ducks do not wear these things. Once she sees the humor in Duck's quackiness, she finds joy in little things.

A great read-aloud. Used for Hiawatha School Class Visit: June, 2011.
Kyle Kimmal
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have found that when I laugh while I am reading on an airplane, bus or at a bookstore people look at me like I am crazy. It happened again while i was reading Ducks Don't Wear Socks by John Nedwick. Emily, the little girls, keeps telling duck he can't wear clothes. He isn't even embarrassed when he is just in his underwear.
Erin
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I really liked this book! This story about a serious little girl who keeps encountering a silly, but deadly serious about silly, duck is a crowd pleaser. The duck reminded me of the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland - his replies to the curious serious inquiries are priceless. A great silly story for serious and silly children.
Nanci Booher
Seeing as I have a blog (neverwearmatchingsox) I try to read as many sock books as I can. This one is about a duck and a very, very serious little girl. Fun illustrations, fun text this will be a hit at storytime!
Sherry Thornberry
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Emily was so serious and always questioned duck about why he was wearing clothes. Then she got to where she thought he was funny and would laugh. I enjoyed seeing her get out of being so serious and enjoying the silliness of life.
Sara Graham
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Ducks Don't Wear Socks, was a difficult book to figure out the meaning behind. A serious girl sees a duck in clothes a human would wear. At first, she does not find the duck funny, but by the end of the story she finds him funny and puts a duck costume on.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a great little story about a girl who needs to lighten up. We all have those moments, kids AND adults! The text is simple and concise, and it's lots of fun to do Emily's "serious" voice and Duck's not-serious voice. The illustrations are simple and cute, but interesting as well.
Rachel Hoffman
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story regarding a young girl named Emily and a silly duck she runs into around town. The first day she saw the duck he was wearing socks, due to his cold feet of course. His antics and outfits get silly-er until Emily decides if you can't beat 'em join 'em.
Mandy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little girl named Emily that takes things very seriously meets Duck that s quite the opposite. Everyday Emily in a serious tone points out something Duck is wearing that he shouldn't. Will Duck ever get Emily to "quack" a smile?
  • New Socks
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Wink: The Ninja Who Wanted to be Noticed
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo