Start by marking “How to Get Run Over by a Truck” as Want to Read:
How to Get Run Over by a Truck

How to Get Run Over by a Truck

People often say, “I feel like I’ve been run over by a truck.” Katie actually was.

On a sunny morning bike ride in Brooklyn, twenty-four-year-old Katie McKenna was forever changed when she was run over by an eighteen-wheeler. Being crushed under a massive semi wasn’t something Katie should have survived. After ten hours of emergency surgery, she woke to find herself in a b
Published October 4th 2016 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Run Over by a Truck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Run Over by a Truck

Start your review of How to Get Run Over by a Truck
Lindsay Nixon
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
The memoir itself is brave, honest, entertaining at times, and fills you with gratitude for your body.

I read this hoping it could help me better understand the situation of a loved one who had a medical emergency, is in chronic pain, and has a long road back to recovery. It has given me that.

My complaint is how privileged McKenna was and did not recognize it. AT ALL. You don't have to be ashamed of privilege, but it's critical to own it, note it, and give gratitude to it, especially if your who
Jane
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is really tough to review. I listened to the audiobook, and Katie was an awesome narrator -- I'd love to listen to another book read by her. Her story is nothing less than incredible. It's impossible for me to fully comprehend what she must have experienced, but the first third of this book probably came as close as is possible to putting me right there in the scene with her. Between her vivid descriptions, choice language, and exquisite voice work, Katie related this horrific accident in a ...more
Jessica
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book as an ARC in a GoodReads giveaway. (Thank you!) One of the the other reviewers mentioned feeling an impatience with Katie as the book progressed. I didn't feel this way with Katie per-say, but rather with the prose which could at times feel "draggy." Overall, it was an inspiring read that really causes one to look at what they have, how lucky they are, and acknowledge that the future is not promised. We have this moment, this hour, and this very minute. Everything and a ...more
Meghan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like a meanie giving this book three stars! However, it really needed an editor. The book was way too long and it jumped around in the timeline (for example, we'd read about Katie being discharged from the first hospital, then we'd read horror stories about that hospital again). I also would have loved an interview with Giselle, the truck driver, and the pastor.

That said, Katie's recovery was incredible and my three stars does not reflect on her or her challenges.
Leeann
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016
Solid 3.5 stars. There were times when I loved this book and found it so interesting and enlightening. There were times that I thought Katie was incredibly strong and brave. As the book wore on, though, I found my patience wearing a little more thin, which is probably somewhat unfair and exactly the reason why I could not be a nurse or something.. a part of me, after a while, does move into "suck it up, buttercup!" mode.

What Katie went through was awful and it is quite amazing how well she recov
Sue Hartman
Amazing story and great narration by the author on the audio book. Alas, it needs a great deal more editing. The book got redundant and went in circles.

The best part about the book is the intimate account of Katie's will to live and heal! She is a ten in the inspiration department and I'd recommend this book to anyone health professionals caring for people debilitated by accidents and disease.

From a literary stand point, it needs editing!!!!!!!!! I can't keep the book...there is not way I will
Paul
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper
What a powerful read. Amazing story. I found myself surprised at how much psychology was involved. I guess imagining someone who's gone through physical trauma I mentally picture the visible result, and bypass what is obviously at least, if not even the bigger, hidden psychological trauma that isn't going to heal with time. Hope I never have to prove I'm as tough as Katie.

I wish there had been just a picture or two of the apparatus that played such an integral role in her healing. I had an adva
Rae
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katie McKenna's writing is witty, funny and just makes you feel good. She makes light of an intense life-threatening experience and looks damn good doing it. She brought me to tears in laughter more times than I can count. I was impressed with her intelligence that went along with her humor.
J.-F. Dubeau
I can't rate this book.

I can't because there's too much going on between is and me that I can make a decision about how I feel about it. I can tell you what I thought and how it impacted me, but my perspective is different. That's why it took me so long to get through. Because that book told two stories, so it made sense it would take over twice as long and that my opinion would be split.

McKenna tells a very personal story of the recovery process she endured after being run over by a truck. The
Heather

This was the first book I read that I received at BEA.  It was handed to me when I was on my way off the floor one day so it didn't get packed up with the rest of the books I was shipping home.  (I started it that night in a Jamaican restaurant that served me the most amazing avocado and plantain sandwich.)

Katie was riding i
jeni brasfield
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Happy New Year!! I was lucky enough to WIN an advanced copy of Katie McKenna’s memoir HOW TO GET RUN OVER BY A TRUCK from GOODREADS! Thank you!

Katie shares her nightmarish reality with astonishing vulnerability that exposes her heart and soul. She is beautifully bold and brave for sharing her journey and proves just how strong the mind, body, and spirit can be! ~jenib~

“I am grateful for the heartache, the joy, the ugliness, and the beauty.” ~Katie McKenna
Joan Smith Watson
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing true story of Katie McKenna who was run over by a truck and has not only survived, but has reinvented herself. I was lucky enough to have the author attend our book club. In person, she's amazing!
Jerica Durfee
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this book with Audible. Katie McKenna reads her story beautifully, it feels like she’s giving you an in-person, on-the-fly account of the goings on. You can hear the emotion in her voice at some of the more heart wrenching sections. I found the first half of the book to be profound, moving and written with a gruesome honesty that’s hard to come by. The last half however, felt a little more “poor popular white girl”. If I had to hear one more time about how many friends she had, and ...more
Paula Fahey
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I couldn't decide how to rate this book. I am glad I read it, and I recommend it, but also was disappointed. There was great detail about so many things, but I was hoping for more closure about the truck driver and all the horrible treatment at the first hospital. It's a very easy read with a nice message.
Susan
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational and at times hilarious but somewhat flawed as to writing. I read this quite slowly and I remember thinking it was a shame the author didn’t have better editing. And .... I don’t know how to say this but despite the awful thing that happened to her, and she is a plucky survivor, no doubt, but I felt she was awfully privileged and may not have fully appreciated the financial and personal resources so easily available to her.

One of my favorite bits it’s when Katie is wrestling with h
Kate
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was selected as an early reviewer via NetGalley.com

Author Katie McKenna got run over by a truck -- and not a little truck either. McKenna gets crushed by most of a semitruck while riding her bike on beautiful day. Somehow, she lived tell the tale in an amazingly refreshing and funny memoir.

McKenna presents her situation with a wonderful combination of gravity and levity that you can't help but want to be her friend. McKenna recounts her accident and recovery in all its grisly detail -- from th
Loraine
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The good: You don't get the first person perspective of someone who has been run over by an 18 wheeler very often. I was glad for so much detail in her recovery, the effects on her family and friends, the experiences with the medical staff. The best part was her descriptions of otherness, about how her place in the world and what she was had dramatically changed and she had to learn to live in a completely different way.

The bad: Holy privilege. Who amongst us can be severely injured, and have fa
Katie B
Katie McKenna's life is forever changed when she is run over by a semi-truck. This memoir chronicles that fateful day and her long road to recovery. After many surgeries and weeks in the hospital, Katie has to learn how to accept that things will never be the same.

First of all it is amazing that the author was able to survive literally being run over by a truck. It's pretty remarkable considering even the doctors that treated her didn't think she would make it. After reading this book, I think K
Beth
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I think this should be required reading for anyone in, or thinking of getting into, a helping profession (doctor, nurse, tech, PT, etc.). She gives great insights into the life of a critical care patient and how even the smallest gesture can have a huge impact (good or bad) on a patient and their family. I went higher on this score so for me it is a 3.75. I wish she had an editor who helped her be a bit more succinct in some areas of the book (not all). Otherwise this is a harrowing tale. Her ho ...more
Kat
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
There's a part of me that appreciated Katie's story, her resilience, and her strength. A larger part of me, however, lost patience in what felt like a self-important, redundant, and long-winded narration in desperate need of editing. When the book finally felt like it was building toward a few much-needed external storylines - the truck driver, the mistreatment of patients at her first hospital, etc – it, unfortunately, circled back to Katie without any resolution or explanation. There were also ...more
Kelly Kathleen
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarity, wit, well-timed f bombs and more than simple silver linings. Katie McKenna manages to take a situation that would have made the vast majority of us say, "F this, I'm out" and transform it into countless invaluable pieces of wisdom that even those of us who have not endured the bitchslap of an 18 wheeler can relate to and need to recognize in ourselves. She gives us very real example of what it means to be human, and comes out smiling and charging ahead. Resilient isn't a strong enough ...more
Bridget
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a powerfully raw and honest memoir. I cried and I belly-laughed while reading Katie's brave account of surviving getting run over by an 18-wheeler. She so beautifully shared the entirety of her emotions of healing - both physically & mentally. Do your favor and read this book, you'll be glad you did and wish you could sit down with Katie, glass of wine in hand, and try to have a bit of her light shine your way. ...more
Judi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! The author wrote in such a way that I felt I was right there with her, experiencing everything she did. Without the pain meds. She told us so much and in so much detail, and yet there were still questions I had; there were things I wanted to know. But I suppose some things need to be kept private. This was a wonderful love letter to her parents and brothers and sister. Glad I read it.
Barb
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Highs: Inspiring overcoming the incredible injuries she sustained. Insightful perspective on the trials and helplessness of being a patient in the U.S. medical care system. Nice reading tone and cadence.

Lows: Author is a person of much privilege that wasn't acknowledged -- she had incredible healthcare, employer, and family support -- incredible! Unacknowledged! Also incredible. And the book needed some editing. A bit redundant and tiresome at times.
Cara
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I appreciate this perspective on a horrific accident. It’s helpful both as a (minor) accident survivor with PTSD too and as someone who may be visiting an ill loved one. This memoir is full of faith and family.

However, the writer may want to recognize their privilege through the hospital experience some more. Katie was lucky to get the improved care she did as her family advocated for her. Also, being young and white helped. Other than a little shortcoming here, a great book.
Cat
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just started this book. OMG! That poor girl! I can't imagine, and pray it never happens to me or anyone I hold near and dear! But Ms. McKenna is a very strong spirit to be able to write about her experience. I haven't had too much time to read, but I am making my way through the book this week and will post an update when I finish it.
Patrick Conlon
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book detailing a traumatic experience, and dealt with the sometimes heavy topics with humor which made me want to keep turning the pages. While I've never experienced something like this, I found the book extremely relatable and find if driving me forward in every day challenges. Definitely recommend this book to everyone!
Josephine
Thanks to a Goodreads giveaway, I was able to read Katie McKenna's story. As someone who has involuntarily spent lots of time in a hospital, I can relate to some of her story. Also, as someone who is old enough to be her mom, I am floored by her maturity and insight after experiencing a catastrophe. Definitely recommended.
Ben Jackson
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring read that really makes you sit up and appreciate the things that you have and quite often take advantage of. Keep up the good work!

I received this book through a Goodreads Giveaway Promotion. Thanks!
Caroline
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cry, laugh and cheer for this young woman as she recovers from an accident that should have killed her.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: How to Get Run Over by a Truck by Katie McKenna 4 stars 2 15 Jun 08, 2018 06:26PM
Goodreads Librari...: merge book pages together 3 24 Oct 13, 2016 06:54AM

• There I Am: The Journey from Hopelessness to Healing—A Memoir
  • What It Seems
  • Fatigue
  • Comeback: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back
  • Kingdom Come (Elizabeth Harris Mystery #1)
  • Even in Paradise
  • Breaking Beautiful
  • Five Summers
  • Late to the Party
  • The Girls: An All-American Town, a Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of the Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down
  • Ask Powerful Questions: Create Conversations That Matter
  • Landlord Away Your Student Loan Debt
  • Nothing Down for the 2000s: Dynamic New Wealth Strategies in Real Estate
  • The Inside Dark
  • Mistrial: An Inside Look at How the Criminal Justice System Works...and Sometimes Doesn't

News & Interviews