Start by marking “The Graces” as Want to Read:
The Graces

The Graces

(The Graces #1)

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  5,225 ratings  ·  1,145 reviews
Everyone said the Graces were witches.
They moved through the corridors like sleek fish, ripples in their wake. Stares followed their backs and their hair.
They had friends, but they were just distractions. They were waiting for someone different.
All I had to do was show them that person was me.

ebook
Published August 30th 2016 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about The Graces, please sign up.

·  5,225 ratings  ·  1,145 reviews

Emily May
Every girl with eyes loved Fenrin. But I was not like those prattling, chattering things with their careful head tosses and thick, cloying lip gloss. Inside, buried down deep where no one could see it, was the core of me, burning endlessly, coal black and coal bright.

Oh sweet Jesus, get over yourself. Did that quote really come from a narrator we're supposed to take seriously? Of all the things I expected from this book, a super emo, extremely slow, Twilight-esque story was not one of them.

I'
karen
i'm just realizing this about myself, but i am a person who tends to round two-star books up into three-star territory. my name is karen, and i'm an uprounder.

part of it is a readers' advisory training that unconsciously steers me towards back-seating (NLGM) my personal reactions, part of it is residual catholic guilt, and part of it is just always wanting to like a book i have chosen to read - to identify at least one thing that made reading it not a waste of my time.

this book is a fast read,
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I can see how The Graces could be appealing for some readers (Kirkus, for one). The patient kind, who can get past a ridiculous, unbelievable plot and flat characters for the sake of a twist. I am not that reader. I believe that there's such a thing as too little, too late, too bad. Also, I totally saw it coming.

Honestly, I don't even have it in me to write an organized or ranty review, but I only want to forget the hours I spent reading it. Can I have my time back, please?

I just need a Forget
C.G. Drews
Excuse me but I ACCIDENTALLY COMPLETELY FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. Okay hear me out: I was a skeptic going in. For reasons that include (A) I'd read a lot of very low-starred reviews, and (B) I mean, that cover, mate. The hardcover is gorgeous but this looks like a box of those seashell soaps. Not a fan. However it came abundantly clear to me, after the first few chapters, that I was doomed to be utterly swallowed by this book. It reminded me of The Cresswell Plot meets Holly Black meets Rocks ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
1.5 stars. It's like Twilight except not as well done? (There's something I never thought I'd say).

River moves to a small coastal town where she learns a family of super hot teens are rumored to be witches. There's a boy everyone is in love with (who has an arrogant & lazy smile and smells "like a thicker, manlier kind of vanilla"), his gorgeous twin sister, and then a younger sister who befriends River. This super-wealthy Grace family has two parents who aren't really parents and blah blah
Lola
Aug 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Real diehard fans of the series Sweep by Cate Tiernan may enjoy this if they overlook the irritant characters. Otherwise, not recommended.
Laure Eve
May 22, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Oh hi. I wrote this book. Here's a bit more about it.

Short: there may or may not be witches. There's a girl who lies to you about what she really wants. There's obsession, desire, desperation, glamour, and what I hope is a pretty damn surprising ending.

Long: The Graces explores the endless pull between the Other – fantasy, imagination, belief, of spirits and gods and ghosts - and the colder everyday of the real, the real that we are very afraid is all there is.

As a child, you believe that magic
Ben Alderson
3.5 stars!

Interesting read, but not what was pitched.
Wanted more magic!

Really loved the first 20 % and last 20% it was brilliant!

Kiki
Maaaaan, guys. That was

fucked?

This is a book about a sad, strange, loathsome asshole who makes terrible decisions, and it's all so bloody entertaining. I'm not surprised that this book got middling reviews; it's a Marmite thing, probably a very, very acquired taste that not everyone will enjoy. But I loved it.

I would have given it five stars, but there was an unnerving air of internalized misogyny that really bothered me, and was completely unnecessary. River is an asshole, but she didn't need
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

I received this E-ARC via Netgalley and ABRAMS Kids in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

I heard about this book through Twitter. After I read the synopsis I was sold! I love reading about witches! Unfortunately this book was a disappointment.

River was so obsessed with the Graces that it came off as disturbing. She wanted to prove to them that she was the person they were looking for. First of all where did she get this assumption? Yes she's the new girl and the Graces didn't know h
Drew
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The most disappointing thing about The Graces was that it had such huge potential. When I read the summary I was immediately hooked: An entire town worships a rich, secretive family and rumors circulate that they are magical - a family of witches. The plot sounded so cool and I couldn't wait to pick it up.

I was expecting a mysterious look at a closely entwined family, but you know what I got instead? Beautiful Creatures 2.0.

Meet River, our lonely "normal" main character who is obsessed with the
Joanne Harris
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
The Graces is a Twilight cult classic gone wrong.

This book gives the Twilight vibes. I am not saying that to be condescending, or because I have zero knowledge of YA, but simply, because it is true.

A simplistic girl moves into an elusive town where there’s a popular unreachable clan. They are very selective of who they associate themselves with. Somehow, the new girl finds herself bewitched with the mystery clouding around these people. She’ll do anything to entangle herself with them. The plot
bella ϟ  [ bella farren ]
2.5/5

(s)

edit: I just wanted to put a warning out that this isn't really very witchy, the focus isn't heavy spells or magic, it's more about the promise of some characters maybe being witches.

This book is sitting somewhere between two and three stars, and I can't come to settle on a single rating. It was a book that I floated through without ever feeling particularly entranced or interested in the characters of the plot line, a clinical kind of interest was the most I could muster up. It wasn’t
Mizuki
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 stars. I notice this book receives bad rating and a lot of negative reviews (to be fair, these reviewers had brought up fair and reasonable points to back their displease up) but when I finished reading this book, I still thought it does have some good points and the story has maintained itself as a melodramatic fun read so it deserves 3.5 stars from me.

What's what in the story: meets The Graces: the most wealthy, mysterious family in town. The picture-perfect Grace couple has three
Dannii Elle
The mysterious Grace family have captivated an entire town. They are enigmatic, mysterious, and the potential for magic hovers around them. But for town newcomer River, they do not feel like anything new. They feel like coming home.

This had so much potential and the miasma of uncertainty that hung over the entire book kept me consistently intrigued. I loved all the magical elements of this book and was as enraptured by the Grace family as the town inhabitants were. However, the high school setti
Martha
I know this sounds ridiculous, but the only way I can describe the effect this book had on me is to say that, when I finished it, I felt high -- like I had been slightly thrown off my axis, and was a little bit disconnected from the world. The Graces requires patience, yes, but the payoff really is that good.

The story and the relationships depicted therein build slowly and in fits and starts, in a way that feels true to what is being portrayed and made me think of nothing so much as Megan Abbot
Giselle
This is when I get into trouble..By requesting to read a book solely because of the beautiful cover. And this one had it. It caught my eye and I immediately requested it. I'm sad to report that I didn't enjoy this one. It had the potential to be a good novel, but it just fell flat for me. One, not a whole lot happens. There's literally no plot. I had trouble getting through it because I was bored, but I kept pushing because the writing sucks you in. But that's it. Because the characters, the sto ...more
Piera
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this so badly but it fell very flat for me.
Stacee

I love love love witches, so I was super excited to get this gorgeous thing in my hands.

River is an interesting character. She's wants to win the attention of the Graces so much, that she's willing to do anything and change herself for it. Her inner monologue was a little drab here and there, but for the most part I was interested in her journey.

The most dynamic scenes are when River and all 3 of the Graces are together. Those sections shone so brightly, it made the rest of the book se
Maddie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya
I have a lot to say about this one, so look out for a video review going up soon on Heart Full Of Books!

Briefly though, I found the main character, River, quite dislikable and hard to understand, I felt the Graces themselves remained an enigma for the whole book and overall, I'm still confused about whether magic really exists or not in this world.

Marcus (Jonathan Byers in another life) is the most interesting character, so he gets a star on his own.
The sexual tension gets -1 star because it wa
Seriously...
 photo 10261481_zpsqtevjfc9.gif

Full review to come.
Ashley Brooks
I contemplated powering through and hate-reading this but at just 5% I can't bring myself to do it.

This has "bad Twilight knock off" (I made it to the Bella River staring longingly at the Cullens Graces lunch table scene and lost all will to go on.) written all over it, and I just don't have time for that.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me a copy for....review.
Aoife
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

When River moves to a new town with her mother, she becomes just like everyone else and quickly falls under the spell of The Graces - a family thought to have magical powers. But unlike others, River soon becomes one of them, and finds herself wrapped up in magical secrets and feels like she belongs for the first time in her life. But people have secrets, including River, and does magic actually exist?

This was a nice, atmospheric book which I think really suited the time of year I was r
Warda
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“What did she believe in? What made her happy?”

BLURB: “Like everyone else in her town, River is obsessed with the Graces, attracted by their glamour and apparent ability to weave magic. But are they really what they seem? And are they more dangerous than they let on?”

Whilst reading, I was pretty sure I was not going to continue on with this series. Thankfully though, halfway through the book the story and plot actually picked up and I found myself really wanting to read it.

The first half of t
Gillian
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Technically 3 and 1/2 stars. It's been a while since I read a book about witches. Unfortunately, I felt it hit most of the major tropes instead of exploring something new. Also, I disliked River. A lot. But I liked the Graces, especially Summer. I'll probably read the sequel but my hopes aren't high.
Femke
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Dat was eigenlijk best wel tof. Recensie volgt!
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 4/4.5 stars

Okay, this is clearly a marmite book. Some people love it and some people really don't. But oh my god. Like actually what the hell. I am DECEASED.

Going into this felt a little like Twilight (girl moves to new town and school, there's a group of *mysterious*, beautiful people there, heroine is fascinated). Then about 35%-ish in, it takes a different turn and the story goes in a very different direction from expected.

A girl (the heroine, whose true name we don't know, which I actua
Mel
Aug 12, 2017 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
I almost bought this recently but because of the price I decided to just check it out at the library and oh boy am I glad I did. I only managed to get through 14 pages before this book nearly killed me. I've never said this before, but the writing was atrocious. I've never read anything so terrible. It was cheesy, horribly cliche, and honestly nausea inducing. By the end of page 14 I felt like I needed a shower.

"I forced myself to look straight into his eyes. "I can stop pretending when I'm alo
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to make of The Graces. It was...odd and not quite what I was expecting. I wanted witchy x10 but the whole magic system was very obscure and I'm still not entirely sure if the characters /have/ magic to just /pretend/ to.

I liked the unreliable narrator though (in terms of the device, not actually River herself) - the only problem was: I was 100% aware that she was unreliable! I questioned everything she said because she seemed to always be co
  • The Book of Storms (The Book of Storms Trilogy, #1)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken #3)
  • Sevenster (De Laatste Wachter, #1)
  • The Black North
  • The Dreamsnatcher (Dreamsnatcher #1)
  • Resonance
  • When My Heart Was Wicked
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts
  • Beyond The Wall
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Mother Tongue
  • Riverkeep
  • The Blue Woods (Twin Willows, #3)
  • Silver Eve (Guardians of Tarnec, #2)
  • The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • The Door That Led to Where
A French-British hybrid who grew up in Cornwall, a place saturated with myth and fantasy. Being a child of two cultures taught her everything she needed to know about trying to fit in at the same time as trying to stand out.

She speaks English and French, and can hold a vague conversation, usually about food, in Greek.

A random selection of favourite things: Terry Pratchett quotes, characters with

The Graces (2 books)
  • The Curses (The Graces, #2)
“I ate and read my book, this particular kind of fantasy novel that I secretly loved. It was my favorite thing to do– eat and read. The world just shut up for a while.” 3 likes
“Everyone said they were witches.
I desperately wanted to believe it.”
2 likes