Start by marking “Death Knocks Twice” as Want to Read:
Death Knocks Twice

Death Knocks Twice

(Death in Paradise #3)

Just as he is feeling as fed up as can be, a mysterious vagrant is found dead in the grounds of the historic Beaumont plantation. Immediately assumed to be suicide, DI Poole is not so convinced
Published May 18th 2017 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about Death Knocks Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Knocks Twice

Dannii Elle
A full review can be found at United by Pop.

The tropical location gives this a different vibe from the usual, British-penned, detective stories and, as such, has much to offer the reader that differs from the expected. The way of life, as well as the inner-workings of the police force, are drastically different and this gives an interesting and detailed insight into the contrasts between the two. The British detective is the link between the two geographical settings, and it is
Alice Lippart
Enjoyable and entertaining, as always.
Veronique
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

Being a fan of the tv series, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this third instalment of Detective Inspector Richard Poole's 'adventures'. Once more, Thorogood puts together a compelling murder mystery. While investigating a possible stalking case, the team hears a couple of gunshots, only to find someone dead in a 'locked room', and what at first looked like a suicide is of course anything but.

In these days of police procedurals using more and more advanced technologies, it is
Mark
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in Paradise is the one series I di watch on TV and each year when the BBC shows it early on each new year I make the effort of watching it every week. Even with its current leading policeman doing his job on this show I find the show strangely comfortable and a hoot and a half to watch.

However the series creator has been so kind to write some new adventures but the the twist is that the original leading character DI Poole is still the policeman on duty. The character played b
Elaine Tomasso
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and HQ for an advance copy of Death Knocks Twice, the third novel based on the TV series Death In Paradise to feature DI Richard Poole, unwillingly seconded to the Saint-Marie police.

It's all quiet in the Saint-Marie detective division when the commissioner asks them to investigate a man selling bootleg rum in case it affects the tourist trade. They are distracted by Lucy Beaumont coming in to report a stalker on her family's remote coffee plantation.
Blair
As ever, reading a Death in Paradise novel is like being enveloped in a warm, comforting hug, but I was disappointed by the lack of development here – while very much aware that lack of development is, for many, entirely the appeal of these cosily enjoyable books and the whole essence of the character of DI Richard Poole. As the mystery of an unidentified man's murder unravels, a shift in Richard's attitude is teased through his consideration of a sartorial change; there's also a tantalising moment of f ...more
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Two dead bodies.

A family of suspects.

One grumpy detective.

Robert Thorogood is back with the latest ‘Death in Paradise’ Mystery, seeing the return of DI Richard Poole.

Death Knocks Twice is a murder mystery set among the islands of the Caribbean and is just published by HQ Stories (Harper Collins imprint),

My Review:

Detective Inspector Richard Poole is a wonderful character. The visual of this hot, sweltering, cranky, yet endearing Englishman, trussed up in a suit, is portrayed wit/>My/>Death
Cleopatra  Pullen
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, crime-series, own
This is the third book in the Death in Paradise series which sees this somewhat buttoned up, yet brilliant detective solve murders on the island of Saint-Marie. This gorgeous Caribbean setting has an unsettling amount of murders all of which can only be solved using lateral thinking. Yes the influence of Agatha Christie’s style of mystery novels looms large and equally as devilish.

This murder investigation is kicked off when a distressed young woman presents herself at the small poli
Heather Withington
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok so it probably helps that I love DiP the TV show. I loved this book and this story as I could see and hear all the characters. It captured them really well and made me laugh a number of times. I also loved the plot, and felt that it was a nice cosy mystery that went at a good pace. It was readable and, although I didnt solve it, the ending was satisfying.

Looking forward to reading more in this series (and now I want to go back and watch the first series)
Austra
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Another great addition to Death in Paradise series. And this time not even risk of overheating in Caribbean sun will stop DI Richard Poole from catching murderers and bootleggers. Not just his colleagues but also the reader hopes that some day he will come to his senses and change his wool suits to more tropical attire, not necessarily with pineapple print, but then again - it wouldn't Richard Poole if he started wearing shorts and some silly hawaiian print shirts, right?
Mistimoo_bookreview
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Opening the very first page, I was instantly swept straight to Saint-Marie. The heat of the Caribbean and the humour of DI Poole's typical 'Englishness' emanates from the page.
Despite his unorthodox ways, you can't not love Richard Poole. All of the characters are well-developed and their individual characteristics shine through.
I don't think it's necessary to read the earlier books to be able to understand Death Knocks Twice. However both the previous books and the TV series are first cl
Dan
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This is the third book based on the Death in Paradise TV series. Like the previous two it is an all new story and features the original cast of the show, Richard Poole (played by Ben Miller on screen) and his team, Camille, Dwayne and Fidel.

The team investigate a report that someone has been hanging around the Beaumont plantation, home of the wealthy British Beaumont family who made their money by exploiting the slave trade. Whilst they are there a gunshot rings out and they soon find a body in
Katheryn Thompson
This was just what I needed: a grumpy, British detective inspector based in the Caribbean solves a murder, with the help of a small team of officers, in a locked room on the plantation of a family containing as many suspects as secrets. Death Knocks Twice felt like a classic murder mystery in the best way. And although it's the third in a series, it worked perfectly well as a standalone.
Sue
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death in Parafis is a staple of a good night on the BBC. It's completely off the wall when it comes to plot and it doesn't matter. Enjoy this with a tropical contain and a brochure for St Lucia where hopefully the murder rate is lower.
Madame Histoire
Like for the first 2 books, I loved it ! I am a massive fan of the TV series so this explains that. This particular mystery was quite a bit darker than usual I thought and I liked it maybe a bit less than the other but it was still brilliant. Can't wait for a 4th book !
Anne Brooke
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Nice storyline, though it did remind me too much of one of the TV series' stories, which was a bit disconcerting. There are one or two places where the plot drags a little bit, but the characters are great fun and I enjoyed the twist in the ending.
Trelawn
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Possibly my favourite mystery of the series so far. Smugly thought I had the killer pegged about 70 pages from the end but did not see the twist coming.
Vera 4theloveofwords
Entertaining. Perfect holiday read. 3,5 ⭐ ...more
Jo Barton
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set on the idyllic Caribbean island of Saint-Marie, DI Richard Poole and his motley crew of detectives find that an investigation into the mysterious death of a stranger, who no-one seems to be able to identify, leaves them with more questions than it does answers.

I think that what makes these books so joyous to read is that the characters come alive with all their little quirks and foibles. They constantly make me smile, particularly Richard's aversion to dress comfortably in the stifling Cari
Reynolds Darke
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good locked room mystery based on the BBC TV series "Death in Paradise." Thorogood is its creator. It gets extra points because I know what all the characters look and sound like from the show. It would get three stars as a stand-alone.
A fun book set on the fictional Caribbean island of Saint Marie.

Kath
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the TV show that these books are based on. Yes, it was that way round; the books came after the series. This is the third in the series and, as anyone who is familiar with the character of Richard Poole knows, he is a bit of a complex character so it is best to read the first two books first to fully appreciate the character development and quirks!
So we have the death of an unknown man, found in a building on the estate of a historic coffee plantation. Add into the mix a murder weap
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN: 9781848455252
Reviewed For NetGalley & HQ
Reviewer: DelAnne
Rating: 4 Stars

Two dead bodies. A family of suspects. One grumpy detective.
Shelbycat
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
I'm a big fan of the TV series and also this book series so i couldn't wait to get my hands on this book (thank you Netgalley for letting me have a copy to review).

Just for context we are following the original detective (Richard Poole) and his assistant (Camille) so you know right away that we're going to be following a very grumpy detective. In this story the team are investigating the murder of an apparently homeless man on the coffee plantation run by the Beaumont family. No-one
Eule
trigger warnings
(view spoiler)

The day begins with a case solved: A woman reports that somebody is stalking her, and Detective Inspector Richard Poole and his team are able to find the culprit at once. So that's done. And he's done in.

I watched a few episodes Death in Paradise and as I saw that my l
Valerie
I had high hopes coming into this novel and it didn't disappoint.

4.5 Stars

Thorogood manages to surprise me again, despite even of reading and watching all of Death Paradise novel. If I'm honest I thought I had sussed it from about halfway through the book and I kept picking out bits of evidence to continuing to fuel my theory but alas I was wrong and did not see it coming.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes mystery. It is definitely suitable for age 12+ however t
John
Aug 18, 2019 added it
John Frankham
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
A third, very good, whodunnit based on the closed room Death In Paradise television series. A new story, well-written and plotted, from the oath or of the series. Amusing, intriguing, satisfying.

The GR blurb:

'Reluctantly stationed on the sweltering Caribbean island of Saint-Marie, Detective Inspector Richard Poole dreams of cold winds, drizzly rain and a pint in his local pub.

Linda
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
DI Poole is not happy to be in the Caribbean and really doesn't fit in very well. He is having trouble adjusting to the pace of life on the island. However a frustrating murder keeps the team occupied. I man is found murdered in a locked room with no way in or out. This actually was the issue in the last one too. The victim is meant to look like a suicide and happens on a old coffee plantation. Someone in the family must have done it. But who and how.

Of course things are not as they
Emily
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I hadn't come across this series before, either as books or TV. It turned out to be a good cosy mystery set in the Carribean. The audiobook narrator was appalling at accents, so it took a little while to get into it. I still wasn't a fan of the main detective by the end, but thought most of the other characters were well depicted and it was a good enough mystery with various clues to keep me reading and guessing whodunnit. The reveal was a bit weak and there were some stereotypes/tropes, but I w ...more
Jeannine
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DI Richard Poole is having a difficult time acclimating to his new job on the Caribbean island of Saint Marie because he insists on dressing like a true Englishman in suit and tie regardless of the sweltering heat. And getting used to the laid-back life style is also proving difficult. He is soon in the middle of a murder case involving an unknown man found dead on the coffee plantation of one of the original families on the island. Lots of secrets, lies, twists and turns keep the reader enterta ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Doctor Who: The Shining Man
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas / Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • Forever in Texas
  • Redemption (Devereaux, #6)
  • The Bloodied Ivy (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #3)
  • Vision of Darkness (D.I.E. Squadron, #1)
  • The Queen's Jewels (Murder, She Wrote, #34)
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • The Case of the Baited Hook
  • Biology: The Science of Life
  • A Patient Fury (DC Connie Childs, #3)
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
Robert Thorogood is an English screenwriter. He is best known as the creator of the BBC 1 Murder Mystery Series, Death in Paradise.

Robert was educated at Uppingham School in Rutland and read History at Downing College, Cambridge. While at Cambridge, he toured with the university's student comedy troupe Footlights in 1993 and was elected President in 1994. Soon after leaving Cambridge,

Death in Paradise (4 books)
  • A Meditation on Murder (Death in Paradise #1)
  • The Killing of Polly Carter