Start by marking “Romancing the Inventor (Supernatural Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Romancing the Inventor (Supernatural Society, #1)

Romancing the Inventor

(Supernatural Society #1)

Imogene Hale is a lowly parlourmaid with a soul-crushing secret. Seeking solace, she takes work at a local hive, only to fall desperately in love with the amazing lady inventor the vampires are keeping in the potting shed. Genevieve Lefoux is heartsick, lonely, and French. With culture, class, and the lady herself set against the match, can Imogene and her duster overcome ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by Gail Carriger LLC

As a huge fan of Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate universe I was incredibly excited when I realised that she was finally giving my favourite female inventor, Genevieve Lefoux, a happily ever after. I loved Genevieve as a child in the Finishing School books and as a young woman in the Parasol Protectorate and now we finally get to see what happens to her after that series ended. Don't worry if you're not familiar with the series though, this story really does work well as a standalone so it w ...more
Lex Kent
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few of Carriger's Protectorate series, and really enjoyed them. But with my love of reading lesbian fiction, I have not been reading as many mainstream books. When I heard Carriger was writing a lesbian fiction book, I could not have been more excited. And to learn it was going to be a paranormal romance, taking place in the Parasol Universe, I just had to get this book. I'm happy to say, this lived up to my expectations.

While this is a novella, it is only a few pages short of bein
lov2laf
I haven't read a book by Gail Carriger before so I have no previous knowledge of any of the characters or the world. Despite that, this read was quite fun. It felt like a standalone and I didn't feel I was missing out on information from other books.

In addition to the Victorian steampunk vibe there's a dose of paranormal with a cast of vampires and werewolves. The tone is pretty light, minus the harassment our protagonist receives, and we get a somewhat superficial slow burn f/f romance.

All in
Lexxi Kitty
A story about a really young woman of only 29 who is in the working/servant/poor class in England way back in the 1800s.

Really young? 29? Well, the love interest, Genevieve Lefoux, of this woman, Imogene Hale, did keep repeating words that correspond to 'too young' or the like. To the point that I was beginning to feel icky and believe that I was somehow reading a pedophile book or something. TOO YOUNG TOO YOUNG!.

Remember how I noted that the woman was 29? And it's the 1800s (well, some where i
Sharon
Lovely. It’s such a great feeling to be reminded that you love something. I miss this world and all these quirky characters.

Here are some of my thoughts:
• I’m so happy Genevieve gets her happily ever after with someone. And that someone is really sweet and hardworking. Imogene is very humble and bashes on herself at times (understandable though considering how that’s how society raised her to be), but she fortunately gets increasingly more confident as the book goes on.
• It is great that Genevi
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Sweet novella about Genevieve Lefoux and her new lover Imogene Hale. I loved getting to see Alexia and Conall (even in small roles), and Imogene's general confusion over their family workings kept me giggling. I wonder if she'll show up in the Custard Protocol books? One can hope :) I love this world.

And thanks to Muffin for the ebook loan!
Crini
Aug 12, 2016 marked it as get-on-my-shelf-already  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diversity
"CROSS-DRESSING INVENTOR"?! OMGGGG, I've wanted to read more about her so bad all this time SFDSLJGFLDGHDLJ
Cora Tea Party Princess
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Attraction, inventing, duty, danger, intrigue.

I think this is my favourite novella set in the Parasol Protectorate world. I love the glimpses of well loved side characters, and I love that Genevieve LeFoux is such a main character. I really enjoy the power dynamics and how Genevieve is always hesitant about abusing them, it made a great contrast to the vampires.

I loved Imogene as a narrator. I loved seeing her journey from self-contained and hesitant to self-confident and pursuing what
namericanwordcat
This is an achy novella about a maid who is too pretty and her crush on a French female inventor.

It is moving exploration expectations and class burdens taking place in an historical steampunk world with vampires and werewolves.

It is a cruel place and part of the pleasure of this little sexy book is the heroines finding a way with very little room to maneuver to get a happily ever after.

I might have enjoyed this book even more if I was a devoted reader of the series but it was a lovely read on
Jade
This one was such a let down. And that hurts to say because I really really wanted to love this. I mean come on lesbian steam punk--with cross dressing! Who could say no to that?!?? Plus I really liked Imogene. She was a good character who deserved more. I couldn't get over how Imogene kept getting led on by Genevieve only to be told that they couldn't be together because she wasn't capable of loving her enough. It was bullshit and not cool to repeatedly initiate intimate contact and th
Stephanie
Adorable, romantic, very funny, sometimes genuinely scary (the vampires present a real menace!), and heartfelt. I've really enjoyed all of the Gail Carriger novels that I've read, but I am LOVING her new novellas - so utterly delicious! If you like romantic fantasy for adults, this is highly recommended. (And it's such a rare treat to get f/f romantic fantasy!)
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
Oh this was lovely. I always love it when my favorite authors add diversity into their worlds. This was super short, only 150 pages, but it's cute, romantic, and I liked it.
Mehsi
5+ stars. This was amazing, swoony, cute, fantastic, lovely, sweet, kyaaa, squeal, and so much more!

So, now that I posted almost all my favourite scenes (I had a few more, but they were either NSFW or they might go to a spoiler area) on Twitter, I am ready to try my hand at writing a review for this adorable, fun, sweet, oh wait, you already know I love this book to bits. :P Sorry if the review is a bit chaotic. :)

The main character is Imogene, a country lass who is apparently very pretty (which
Betty BoomBa

My first Carriger book and I have to say I enjoyed it.
In the beginning, I was not so sure, and felt as though I’d missed something, maybe from previous books? This uncertainty soon vanished as the story got into its stride and then, well, the pages just sped by.
It is a light read, but it reads well. The humour is plentiful and the characters varied. I liked the characters, all of them. Even the horrid and nasty ones. I will definitely read more of hers. I just wish this one had been longer.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words:

I loved this!

It's set a little while after the Parasol Protectorate series ends, and I loved catching up with some of my favourite characters.

I loved the introduction of Imogene.
The Lit Bitch
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this short story much more than I anticipated. I wasn’t sure what to expect having never read any LBGTQ but I found that that had on bearing on a sweet, romantic story. For me, love is love not matter who it’s between so having the main love interests be two females wasn’t distracting for me in the least.

Madam Lefoux, as always, was a well constructed character with genuine feelings evident on each page. She was charming in her ‘rough around the edges, unconventional’ way and I loved h
Corrie
I was saving this one and now I am partly sad that i've fnished it and partly overjoyed that I finally did. Genevieve Lefoux has always been one of my favorite characters and I was so happy to finally see her getting a chance of finding love. The novella is delightful and a true romance (thank you for giving us that, Gail!). When I bought "Romancing the Inventor" when it came out last November, I did not know any of Gail Carriger's other work. To do this novella justice I decided to go ahead and ...more
Anna
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Annise
Shelves: fiction, supernatural
A friend saw the cover of ‘Romancing the Inventor’ and asked me, “Are you reading a bodice ripper?” Yes, indeed I am. I find that during the stressful period of a house-move, what you need is a frivolous supernatural romance novel or several. Having already read Gail Carriger’s 'Parasol Protectorate' series, I knew I could rely on her for light, amusing nonsense. Even better, ‘Romancing the Inventor’ and its companion Romancing the Werewolf both centre on gay couples, while the 'Parasol Protecto ...more
T
Great narration of a fun book. So glad i got the audible add-on when i saw it.
iam
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, lgbtqia
I was absolutely delighted when I found this book. I'm so happy Madam Lefoux is getting her happy ending (as well as several other characters in other books.)

Imogene is a new character to the Parasolverse and I found her as a POV character very intriguing since she is VERY different from Alexia, Sophronia and Prudence.
Born on the countryside and very well aware of her sapphic inclinations (and polite society's stance on such things), Imogene decides to work for the nearby vampire hive,
Karen
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at For What It's Worth on 11/3/16: http://www.fwiwreviews.net/2016/11/re...

I’m really enjoying these spinoff novellas set in Carriger’s Parasol Protectorate world featuring some of our favorite side characters and their HEA's.

First off – let me say that you do not have to have read any of Carriger’s prior series to enjoy this novella. While it has great cameos if you have, it stands alone. But if you do enjoy Victorian, paranormal, steampunk and romance give her other books a t
Wiebke (1book1review)
You know I love Gail Carriger's writing and the world she created, so naturally I am biased to like anything she puts out. Nevertheless, my excitement for this book was a little dampened by the fact that it is about Madame Lefoux, because I don't like her. Yes, there I said it, she is one of the characters that make me angry.
However, I was surprised how much I liked the book. It probably helps, that it is not written from her point of view but from Miss Hale's. And Miss Hale is a refreshing new
Maja
Literally up until the last two or three pages, I was ready to be debating whether to give this three or four stars, and then the literal very ending somehow mostly fixed any prior issues I'd had?? ??? I have NO IDEA how Gail Carriger managed to pull that off, but I'M NOT COMPLAINING. Somehow a lot of the doubts about Genevieve and Imogene I'd had just... got resolved, just like that! They got together for real in such a perfect way and it made me so happy! I love them and I want them to be happ ...more
Lori S.
Kind of a long, drawn out romance. I would have liked to see some of Genevieve's inventions in action rather than just talking about them, but Carriger's goal here was to focus on the relationship and Imogene's determination to finally get the girl of her dreams.

I like the wolves. The vampires, however, are detestable.
Tani
I've only read the first book of the Parasol Protectorate before listening to this, and I think that may have been a mistake on my part. I'll admit that I don't remember all the details of Soulless, but I'm pretty sure that I didn't meet Genevieve in that book, and I think I would have enjoyed this one more if I had. I hadn't really realized that this one was connected to those when I picked it up, so I guess that's my bad.

Anyway, this is a very sweet little romance, but I struggled with it som
Terri
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Inventor and the Maid (Audiobook)

There are other things in life besides octopuses, even if they can destroy London.

A wonderful love story for inventor Genevieve Lefoux, finally. What is it about a French Maid's outfit that drives partners wild?
Claire
That was utterly charming. Math! Swoony crushing! I think that the particular tone of lusty mathemetician country maid swoony crushing on cross-dressing French inventor dyke was the catnip I didn't know I had.

I haven't been the world's biggest Gail Carriger fan -- I never got past the first Parasol Protectorate book -- but there was honestly no need to have read the others in the series to enjoy this one. Definitely the best f/f romance I've read in a long time. Bumped up to 5 stars and the lov
Jenna
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I realize I am rather greedy when it comes to my favorite literary characters. I take to skimming until we reach the scenes where I get to finally see their names, or even a hint or mention of them. Which led to a wonderful surprise in Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders trilogy, and, in this novella. And I'm greedy in that, having just finished it, I'd like more. Perhaps an entire trilogy, please? And I just might have to reread everything just for a full Madame Lefoux chronology.

I did like the char
Dylan Benito
Oddly, I did not love this as much as Carriger's other books. It was still delightful and I enjoyed it very much, but there was something missing for me. (4/5 stars)

I'm changing my mind and my rating. I almost always give Carriger's books five stars. They are funny, light-hearted and centered around kickass women. In contrast this book's main character, Imogen, is quiet, docile, and gets regularly assaulted throughout the book. She is only saved from outright rape (by both men and women) because

• The Omega Objection (San Andreas Shifters, #2)
  • Wrecked (Iron Seas, #3.4)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • The Cybernetic Tea Shop
  • Hamilton's Battalion: A Trio of Romances
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • Let It Shine
  • Cinnamon Blade: Knife in Shining Armor
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
Gail Carriger writes comedies of manners mixed with paranormal romance (and the sexy San Andreas Shifter series as G L Carriger). Her books include the Parasol Protectorate and the Finishing School series. She is published in many languages and has over a dozen NYT bestsellers. She was once an archaeologist and is fond of shoes, octopuses, and tea. Join the Chirrup for sneak peaks of upcoming gigg ...more

Supernatural Society (2 books)
  • Romancing the Werewolf (Supernatural Society, #2)
“Dear Genevieve,” she would say, “I love that you are full of finer feelings and insist upon protecting me from myself, but if you do not rodger me this instant, I may perish away for the lack.“
Although, did two ladies together call it rodgering? Or was there a proper, more feminine word? Gertruding, perhaps?”
7 likes