Start by marking “Bayes Theorem: A Visual Introduction For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Bayes Theorem: A Visual Introduction For Beginners

Bayes Theorem: A Visual Introduction For Beginners

From Google search results to Netflix recommendations and investment strategies, Bayes Theorem (also often called Bayes Rule or Bayes Formula) is used across countless industries to help calculate and assess probability.
Bayesian statistics is taught in most first-year statistics classes across the nation, but there is one major problem that many students (and others who a
Published October 2nd 2016 by Blue Windmill

To ask other readers questions about Bayes Theorem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bayes Theorem

Start your review of Bayes Theorem: A Visual Introduction For Beginners
Dimitrios Mistriotis
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: data-science
Think you want some help understanding better or getting into the Bayes Theorem. Two cases: you have a friend who can help over a coffee on some back of the envelope stuff or you buy this book.

This books ticks many boxes: Does one thing and does it well, explains with enough detail, small, cute, articulate.

Then why the 2 stars: One for its price it could have a little bit of more information, or examples. Two the dead tree / paper version is just rushed and should not be
Fred Fanning
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book that covers the basics of Bayes Theorem. I like the alternative methods explained in the book as well as the explanations. I liked the book and think it was helpful.
James
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great Quick Intro

I appreciated this very appreciable treatment of the Bayes theorem for a beginner. The visual examples alongside the math helped cement the concept.
David Styles
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could actually use Bayes’ Theorem to estimate for you in this review the odds of you enjoying the book, but I fear it’ll look quite arbitrary without the clear and helpful visual guides that the book provides, walking the reader through many examples in a step-by-step fashion, such that we get to not only know how to use the theorem in a functional fashion (say, plugging and playing with the numbers, as one might if learning it for a mathematics exam, practically learning the method by rote), ...more
Avel Deleon
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bayes Theorem has a serious power to describe reality through mathematical probability. I have written If you are interested in statistics and the power of Bayes Theorem, please do yourself a favor and read this book.

Here's an example:
Bayes Theorem is simple, but it's implications are tremendous. There are many statistical probabilities that at face value seem concerning, but when the information is properly plug-in, you see a different result.
Here's an example:
1. We know that the peop
Valery
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bayes' Theorem Examples: A Visual Introduction for Beginners by Dan Morris makes this seemingly complex theorem more understandable. From the beginning of the book, the language of the book is such that the novice can begin to understand and comprehend the subject matter. Morris lays it out thus : 4 Ways that the Theorem is explained, 'Bayes' Theorem helps us update a belief based on new evidence by creating a new belief, it helps us revise a probability when presented with new evidence, it help ...more
Amin
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
"English below"

با توجه به تب این روزهای انتخابات، ذکر این نکته خالی از لطف نیست که پیش بینی های علمی رایج عمدتا بر اساس قضیه بیز انجام می گیرند. آشنایی اولیه با این قضیه می تواند برای همگان مفید باشد و باعث شود دیدگاههای واقع بینانه تری بر اساس شواهد و اطلاعات داشته باشیم

As an introductory book, it is a short and useful text. Examples and graphics are fine, although sometimes repetitive. However, I was expecting to see more insights on how to understand our problem is app
Ricardo Homsi
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I needed to be taught math like this in school!

Excellent first contact with a long-debated but now indispensible nugget of mathematical ingeniousness. As a probability tool, Bayes' has been used everywhere from breaking the Enigma code machines to locating derelict sailors at sea to accurately predicting elections. Dan Morris gives very clear explanations and guides the reader through easy-to-understand examples, reviewed over and over under different lights. What little math I've learned has b
Martin Lesser
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy and useful

A perfect book to not only learn about but to work with the theory. The simple formula is the basis of understanding things from how to asses medical tests to how to detect spam. Even if your knowledge of probability is minimal this book will teach you quite a lot about Bayesian thinking. You will also find out why it should really be called Laplace’s Theorem, but even so Laplace already has more than enough named in his honor, so I’m quite happy with the honor going to the Bay
Joshua Lawrimore
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very quick but useful introduction

This is a thorough and enjoyable yet basic introduction to Bayes’ Theorem. Just Bayes’ Theorem. If you are looking for a 1 to 5 hour exploration of a single equation with references for further study, this is for you. If you are looking for anything more than that, this isn’t for you. Buy the electronic version for easy access to the many hyperlinks in the text.
Arnab Chakrabarty
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easy and fast Intro with real life (simplified) Examples

Recommended for anyone who wants to have some basic and quick understanding on Bayes. Quick and easy book. The author nicely points out the areas which can turn into difficulties when one starts using it for complex problems.
Tony Tkach
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book well put together. Lots of incremental examples to help get your head around the theorem. I liked the idea of doing the same calculations using different methodologies. My only suggestion is that it could use some humor to lighten up the content.
Kevin Stilley
This book provides a nice introduction to understanding and using Bayes’ Theorem to assess probabilities and make decisions. It provides easy to understand guidance that makes the process accessible to those who are not logicians or mathematicians.
ray
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple, straightforward

Nice introduction. Would have liked to learn how to deal with slightly more complex scenarios, but I feel ready to do that on my own either way, after reading this.
Tim Havranek
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Great Introduction to Bates Theorem

This is a good place to start for anyone interested in understanding Bates Theorem. I recommend getting the Kindle Edition and reading it on a Fire or other device that allows you to review the internet links.
Steve
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Very basic - simple and easy to follow

If you want to learn Bayes Theorem more in-depth you will need to do more research and reading. The author warns you about this at the very beginning.
Prajwal Katyal
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is written in the simplest manner to explain you the actual meaning of bayes theorem and how it works.
The examples are pretty realistic and you can correlate with them.

All in all, it's a good book for beginners!
Jørgen
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good, but very repetitive

The book has some good examples and illustrations, but they are too similar to each other. The visual "solution" by venn diagrams are definitely not useful the third time over. Recommend for people looking for good ways to explain Bayes to others.
William Wiese
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay as a fast and. Simpler overvaluation

This book is about as fast and simple as it gets. That dose not necessarily mean you will get it but this is a good place for the challenged to start.
Enrique Mañas
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice visual explanation of Bayes’ theorem. Quite pedagogic. I wonder would be the output of using this kind of introduction for students rather than the dull grey books we use now.
R.
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent primer, but should have spent more time on updating.
Frank Solomon
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, the book is clear, but I can't say it is an enjoyable read. It's better if you watch the YouTube videos referenced in the book. I had a hard time finishing.
Lawrence A. Lang
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good, but repetative, presentation of Bayes Theorem. The reader should have a clear understanding of how the theorem works after reading thee Book. Examples are clear and easy to follow.
Greg Parrott
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read that refreshed some probability theory I had long forgotten. Shows some practical applications to everyday life.
Mihai Bogdan Volosincu
Excellent book for an introduction to Bayes theorem. The examples are easy to understands and well explained and has the bibliography documented with some great references.
Sara Burriesci
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, math
Definitely worth $2.99 for the Kindle edition if you are trying to understand Bayes' theorem. Short with lots of illustrations and definitions.
Jeremy Schwartz
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little book to get an intro or refresher.
José Ángel Fernández
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive

An interesting book for beginners but examples seems repetitive to me with the same text and steps. Half of the book is similar to the other half.

However, images and descriptions are really nice to understand the concepts.
Rodney Bond
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: math
Good foundation book for probability.
Bakthakolahalan Shyamsundar
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book with practical approach

A good introductory material with real life examples. Also contains links to interesting articles that enrich the content in this book.

• Machine Learning With Random Forests And Decision Trees: A Mostly Intuitive Guide, But Also Some Python
  • Decision Trees and Random Forests: A Visual Introduction For Beginners: A Simple Guide to Machine Learning with Decision Trees
  • Bayes Theorem Examples: An Intuitive Guide
  • Hypothesis Testing Examples: Quickly and Easily Determine Statistical Significance
  • The Joy of x: A Guided Tour of Math, from One to Infinity
  • Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
  • Make Your Own Neural Network: An In-depth Visual Introduction For Beginners
  • 500 Things People Believe That Aren't True
  • The Lifetime Learner's Guide to Reading and Learning
  • Numsense! Data Science for the Layman: No Math Added
  • Python for Everybody: Exploring Data in Python 3
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Chinese Girl Confessions: Sex and Love, Asian Style (China Insider Guide Book 1)
  • Corporate Finance for Dummies
  • Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
  • Speaking PowerPoint: The New Language of Business
  • The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail - But Some Don't
  • No One Would Listen

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Try not to get overwhelmed or lost in the question. Always begin by writing down what you want to discover.” 0 likes
“Remember to take your time. There is no need to rush.” 0 likes