Start by marking “The Ridge” as Want to Read:
The Ridge

The Ridge

With its manicured lawns, pastel houses, and quiet, tree-lined streets, Willow Ridge seems to be the perfect place for Megan and Tyler Stokes to start a new chapter in their lives together. But soon after settling in, Megan begins to notice cracks in the neighborhood’s bright suburban facade—cracks that reveal a darker secret hidden just beneath the surface.

After an angry
Published April 25th 2017 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Ridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ridge

Kaceey
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Suburban living isn't for everyone…not by a long shot!

Megan and Tyler move from the bright lights of Chicago out to the suburbs, after Tyler receives a job transfer to the institute. This institute overlooks the planned community of Willow Ridge. Like most such planned developments, the homes are all carbon copies of the next. The same can be said about the neighbors, who all behave eerily similar. But there is something very peculiar about this tight knit community. “A Stepford neighborhood.”
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Megan Stokes stood alone in her living room, cradling a cup of coffee in her hands and staring out the large bay window at the corner house across the street.
The whore was outside again, on her knees in the dirt.
Megan watched her for a while, then she lifted the cup to her lips, blew away the steam, and took a sip.
It burned.

Not a bad beginning of a book.
Call someone a bad name and for some reason I'm hooked. Words...how I love them.

Megan goes over to confront the woman she is staring at and s
Blake Crouch
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ridge is a creeping, pitch-black window into a suburban America like nothing you’ve ever read. The suspense builds with every sentence and you know something is deeply wrong with this neighborhood, and yet nothing will prepare you for the mind-melting final pages.
Kemper
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free advance copy of this via NetGalley for review.

I’ve lived in the suburbs for years and despite what books, movies, and TV would have you believe I’ve yet to see any evidence of evil lurking beneath the surface. Except for leaf blowers. Leaf blowers were created by the devil for morons to run for hours on end and drive me insane because how in the world can you possibly have that many leaves in April and will you just PLEASE TURN IT OFF BEFOREIHAVETO COMEOVERTHEREANDBEATYOUTODEAT
Melisa
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Respect to the author for coming up with an original story, unfortunately it just wasn't my cup of tea. I have a difficult time suspending disbelief with books that go outside of reality, I kinda need to be prepared for it, which I wasn't in this case.

Definitely a suspenseful story if you can enter it with an open mind.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tina
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this one from the first page to the last! Megan and Tyler have moved to Willow Ridge....where everything is neat and perfect or is it?

I loved John Rector's writing. The suspense builds nicely with each chapter. I kept trying to figure out just what was going on. It's a suspense thriller with a twist of Sci-Fi. Could easily see this made into a movie.

Thank-you to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer Publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this advanced copy.
Richard
*3.5 Stars*
John Rector has written a handful of absorbing, propulsive thrillers through the years that moved like roller coasters. The Ridge, his latest, is different, but still engaging. Rector steps away from his usual relentless pacing with this one, maintaining a slow and steady buildup of paranoia that I really enjoyed as Megan Stokes begins to suspect that her perfect new subdivision community and her friendly neighbors are not what they seem.

This "Stepford Wives"-ish concept has been don
Melanie Johnson
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little bit of Stepford Wives around the rim and a bit of Twilight Zone in the glass with a Dark Matter twist, shaken, not stirred to make a delicious, freaky, creepy martini.
Sarah Joint
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deliciously creepy and freaky. This story will keep you guessing. I was back and forth so much I was starting to feel as off-kilter as our protagonist. Difficult to put down and unnerving, I'd definitely recommend The Ridge.

Cookie-cutter house hell... where every home looks the same, just painted different shades. It all just looks a little too perfect. For Megan, perfect is what she left behind... the loud and exciting Chicago. Having promised her husband she'd give the move a chance, she's st
Zuky the BookBum
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars, 2017, netgalley
When I saw John Rector had another novel coming out I was really excited. I read a previous book of his, Ruthless, which I really enjoyed, so I was sure I was going to like this one, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

This book sounds like it's going to be about a creepy neighbourhood, and while it is, it also isn't. Sure, our characters live in a Stepford Wives feeling place, but we actually only meet 2 or 3 extra characters who live in the neighbourhood, so when the synopsis says somethi
Noah Nichols
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digitally-honed
This one was a big builder...an intriguing and engaging little novel. The twist is great; it makes you think. I won't give anything away, but it's worth it to keep reading until the exciting end. And the clever callbacks near said end of The Ridge are well-done/well-placed. I loved this book. However, it doesn't get the fabled five from me because it needed some more oomph on the life-shattering reveal. It was explored nicely and all, but a certain (physically small) character needed to hit just ...more
Holly
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, netgalley
*4.5 stars

This book, at first, reminded me of the book : The Drowning Girls. Where the neighborhood seems perfect but underneath the facade has a lot of secrets. I soon realized though, that this book was quite different!! And I honestly loved the "twist"! It soon becomes apparent that not all is what it seems at The Ridge. After moving from Chicago with her husband, Megan finds the suburban life is not for her. Its often referred to as Stepford, where everything seems perfect, the lawns and hou
Tim
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
I received a copy of this from the publisher through NetGalley to review.

THE RIDGE by John Rector is a story about a woman named Megan who has recently moved to the quiet town of Willow Ridge from Chicago with her husband Tyler because of his new job at a place referred to as "the Institute".
Megan struggles to fit into her new surroundings while missing the hustle and bustle of big city life, and becomes obsessed with her neighbor Rachel whom she is sure has her sights set on Tyler.
Life in the
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
The Ridge By John Rector was an enthralling page turner. From the moment I embarked on the surreal neighbourhood of Willow Ridge, it was as If I had been transported into a perplexing mystifying alternate reality.
This is one of those stories that keeps you riveted to the bitter finale, a rollercoaster that you have to ride to the very end, without stops or pauses for breath.
To summarise Megan and Tyler Stokes have moved to the perfectly sublime almost Stepford-like community of Willow Ridge fro
Elle's Book Blog
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: standalones, suspense
Release Date: April 25, 2017
Genre: Sci-Fi? and Suspense?

Okay, the plot of this book was very unexpected for me. I went into it thinking that it would be some sort of thriller or suspense but it turned out to be more sci-fi than anything else. Think step-ford wives with a twist? Now, this book is not bad by any means and I thoroughly enjoyed the way the author presents the story to us readers. However, this type of book is not really my thing.
Lolly K Dandeneau
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Megan tried to tell her again that she was sorry, but before she could get the words out, the smell hit hard.

Ripe and rotting.

It rolled off Rachel in waves and Megan took another step back, her eyes watering, trying to breathe.

This is one eerie novel. It’s a funny coincidence one of the character’s jokes about the town being very Stepford Wives. Forget monsters, the whole Stepford thing always freaked me out- maybe because the idea of men creating perfect wives, perfect children seems too reali
Judy Collins
3.5 Stars. Review to follow.
Lady Delacour
Entertaining, fast paced,
mystery thrill ride.
It will have you guessing
from the beginning,
until the end.
Liked the story and
the narrator.
She does a pretty nice job.
Trinia
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer for a free copy of this book in exchange an honest review.

This was a complete winner! As a fan of Hitchcock , I loved this book. Also, This book was so reminiscent of a Twilight Zone that I had goosebumps! The beginning of this book started out strong and quickly picked up to a neck breaking speed.
We meet Megan and Tyler who recently moved to a nice new neighborhood. However, we soon learn that Megan isn’t as happy as she could be. As she gets to kno
Jaime
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy. Delightfully creepy this one. Go into it with an open mind. It can. It can be far out there. If sci-fi and mysteries are your thing you'll enjoy this easy read.
Mike Hughes
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books, 2017
another great one from John Rector. with a prose that almost turns the pages for you, he delivers story that you cannot stop reading. was glued to the screen of my kindle and could not put it down. one of the things i enjoy about John's books is the fact that he can tell a very compelling story without using alot of extra words. just straight to the point, nothing off topic in this one. and for me thats what makes a great book, i have no time to read about filler some authors throw in, i just wa ...more
Bettyb
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I loved this book from an author who should get far more attention. Rector goes out on a limb with this one and I'm glad he did. I read most of it in one sitting and would have finished but I really needed to go to bed! Great suspense and surprising twists that I certainly never saw coming. There was also something almost cinematic about this book for me as I could really "see" this one playing in my head very vividly.
Mike
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mccrary-shelf
I've been a fan of Rector's stuff ever since The Cold Kiss. He's a master at the lean and mean, tightly written thriller and The Ridge is no different. I burned through this one and it reads like a Black Mirror episode made by Hitchcock. I was lucky enough to read an advance copy.
Jeanie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Sometimes crazy is easier.

A mixture of Stepford Wives and the Giver series. Erie and it is not as it seems. Megan and her husband Tyler have moved from Chicago to a community that Tyler's place of employment houses their employees known as the Ridge. Megan has not adjusted to the move and her neighbors seem friendly but distant. When a confrontation with her neighbor Rachel ends with a terrible accident, the tension of the plot thickens. Rachel feels more isolated and not sure of what she belie
Bookgasms Book Blog
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely had my preconceptions going into this book. By the time I had read a couple chapters, those had been redefined into a wholly new expectation. By the time I reached the end, it had all been blown away and replaced by a sense of thrill, and surprise. I thought I saw what was coming. I didn't see all of it though.

Megan wasn't the most likable person, but her story is sad and relatable. Her unhappiness is tangible, her loosening grasp on reality frightening, and her fears chilling. As
Kerry
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved every second!

I received this book free from Kindle in exchange for an honest review and it's the first 5 star free book I've read. I went into this knowing virtually nothing, which I am grateful for. I was sucked in before the end of the first chapter and could not put it down until the final page.
Megan and Tyler are a young couple who have moved from Chicago to a Stepford-like development called Willow Ridge. This community houses the employees of the Hansen Institute of which Tyler is n
Amy
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Regardless of where you've lived, chances are you've come across a weirdo or two. You know the type: they always make you feel a little uncomfortable, a little creepy. You find yourself wondering why no one else notices how strange these people are, Why can't they see that there is something seriously wrong here?

For most of us, the creepiness is due to the freaks who double-dip their chips during block parties or mow their lawns at dawn on the weekend. For Megan, though, the creepiness is a litt
Cindy H.
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas and Mercer Publishers for gifting me with an ARC of The Ridge for review.

This book is a nice blend of thriller and sci-fi. Megan and Tyler Stokes have left the excitement and hustle of busy Chicago to settle in the suburbs. The sleepy town of WillowRidge offers cookie cutter homes, manicured lawns, identical streets and perfectly respectable neighbors. Well, except for Rachel Addison, the vamp from across the street who's been overly friendly to Tyler. When Meg
Alexandria Anderson
WTF DID I JUST READ!!! IT WAS GOOD AND HAD POTENTIAL UNTIL THE END!!! DEFINITELY NEVER AGAIN.

Check out my review here

ReadingGirlReviews (Gina)
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is one of those books that upon finishing I just kinda said "oohhhhhh kaaaaaayyy" and shook my head. It's not the typical psychological thriller that you are expecting, not at all. Quite the opposite in my opinion. I can honestly say that if the back cover gave more of a clue as to the premise of this book, I probably wouldn't have read it. Nevertheless I gave it 4 stars. Why?? Because it was quite gripping. Once you get involved after the first two chapters, it's all over for you right the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Stockholm Syndrome (Americans Abroad, #3)
  • The Creep
  • Two-Way Split
  • The Case of the Tiffany Killer: A Peggy Hart Mystery
  • Deadly Honeymoon
  • All The Wild Children: A noir memoir
  • Gifted
  • A Gift of Grace
  • Poison in the Blood (Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles, #1)
  • Trace Evidence (Heir Hunter #2)
  • The Creeps
  • Choices (Choices, #1)
  • The Last Whisper in the Dark (Terrier Rand, #2)
  • The Violet Hour (The Violet Hour, #1)
  • A Drop of Ink
  • The Posthumous Man
  • Hitchers
John Rector is the bestselling author of the novels The Ridge, The Cold Kiss, The Grove, Already Gone, Out of the Black, and Ruthless. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and has won several awards, including the International Thriller Award for his novella, Lost Things.

He lives in Omaha, Nebraska.