Start by marking “Last Dragon Standing (Heartstrikers, #5)” as Want to Read:
Last Dragon Standing (Heartstrikers, #5)

Last Dragon Standing

(Heartstrikers #5)

Dear Reader,

There is no way to write a blurb for this final book without spoiling all of the others. Suffice it to say, mysteries resolve, dragons war, pigeons abound, and Julius must risk himself in ways he never dreamed possible as Bob’s grand plan finally comes to fruition.

But the Great Seer of the Heartstrikers isn’t the only one whose schemes are nearing completion.
Published March 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Last Dragon Standing, please sign up.
Mihir I believe Rachel is shooting for the first couple of weeks in March (don't quote me on that). It should be confirmed soon as Rachel is almost done wit…moreI believe Rachel is shooting for the first couple of weeks in March (don't quote me on that). It should be confirmed soon as Rachel is almost done with the manuscript and is currently doing some last minute edits.(less)

Start your review of Last Dragon Standing (Heartstrikers, #5)
Petrik
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy fans
Recommended to Petrik by: TS Chan
Heartstrikers is easily the most fun I’ve ever had in an urban fantasy series.

And so this is the end of the series, for now. It’s by all means not a perfect series and I know I haven’t read a lot of urban fantasy for my opening statement to hold a lot of strength. However, the reason why I rarely read UF in the first place is that my experience with the genre—with the exception of Paternus by Dyrk Ashton—is more or less the same as my experience towards YA books: mediocre, disappointing, and 100
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, year-2018
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

So here we are, finally at the end of this series. And what a spectacular ride is has been!

It's bittersweet to be here because it's always wonderful to complete a series you love & finally see its resolution, but it's never fun to say goodbye to a cast of characters that have grown to feel like family.

This is just such a cozy little tale & honestly I can't wait to reread the books in the future.

However, this is unfortunately the weakest installment for me. It's not by any
TS Chan
The Heartstrikers series is a triumph of urban high fantasy that is positively overflowing with heart and magic.

With a conclusion that is so satisfying that it leaves me basking in the afterglow of completing an amazing series, Heartstrikers have sunk its dragon claws into my heart and established itself as my favourite urban fantasy series.

The series started with a fairly light touch as it introduces the reader to the world in which dragons walked the earth in human form and magic has returned
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[2.5 stars] My thoughts on this final book (reluctant disappointment) are vastly different from my thoughts of the series as a whole (happy feelings). The series is such a unique blend of genres and ideas, with some of the most memorable characters you’ll ever come across. No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Book #3) is one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. All that said, although I loved where the story ended, I had quite a few issues with how it got there and can’t help but feel let down by the ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Last Dragon standing could be called What about Bob.

description

This is the book where we find out what all of the Pigeon loving seer’s machinations were for and why Julian has been the lynchpin to so many of his plots.

This was a solid conclusion to an overall really good series. We got the big fight against the Nameless End, a fitting conclusion to the animosity with Algonquin, some Marci and Julius alone time and so much more.

A Dragon of a Different color suffered a lot from info dumping and it made s
Celeste
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Celeste by: TS Chan
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Full review now posted!

This was pretty close to perfect for me. I have a new series to add to my favorites shelf!

I love fantasy; it’s my favorite genre by far. However, so much of the fantasy genre is plagued by darkness. While that often makes for a very good story, one of the reasons I read is to escape from the real world, and that level of darkness negates escapism for me. When real life is hard, I sometimes feel overburdened when I add a grimdark novel to the mix.

And that is exactly why I
D.G.
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
OMG! Bob's in the cover!!! And love the red jacket!!!

ETA: The audio comes out on March 1st! PRE-ORDERED!!!
Kaitlin
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series has been great! Truly epic throughout and I am so very happy with how it all finalised too. This is book #5 in the series, so of course I can't really say too much about what happens, but suffice to say the stakes are the highest they have ever been in this book, and there's a lot of trouble ahead for our main characters.

This story once more follows Julius and the Merlin and the adventures they have trying to save the world and convince people to work together. The world is divided
Molly Mortensen
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like 3 1/2 stars. As satisfied as I was with the end of the final battle and the wrap up afterwards, I was bored through the first 75% of this book.

Up until that wrap up, this book takes place in the few (3?) hours before the world is destroyed. Basically the whole book is the final battle. Through the actual excitement doesn't start until the halfway point, with the first HALF being filled with nothing but talk. (I understand that the talking is important, we had things to learn and big p
Maja Ingrid
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is super rambly, not sorry.

This book has been a hell of a journey. At first I had to wait for the physical edition (because I couldn't afford buying the kindle, read that and then buy physical to complete the physical collection). Then I had to wait for money. Then I ordered from amazon, package gets damaged during shipping, and sent pack to amazon. I reorder book. it arrives damaged due to shitty packaging (also that whole order is another hell of a story). I wait a few days to finish up
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/05/06/...

There’s a good reason why there’s not an official summary for this fifth and final novel of the Heartstrikers series, and that the description you will find everywhere is a message to the reader from the author about how there’s no way to write a blurb for this book without spoiling all the others. That’s because it’s true. So much has happened over the course of this series, with events and revelations piled up on top of
Jenia
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a review for the fifth and final Heartstrikers book. If you're thinking of getting into the series, check out Tam's review of book #1, Nice Dragons Finish Last ! In this review there are  spoilers for books #1-4.

Last Dragon Standing is a fun, fast-paced, and extremely satisfying conclusion to a fun, fast-paced series.

The book picks up right where the last one left off: with most of the key players — dragon, human, and spirit — gathered in the DFZ and the threat of the Leviathan loo
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
Alright. Two month into the new year and I've read the most disappointing book thus far. It probably won't stay the alone disappoint (am reading Lake Silence atm) but this was still pretty bad. JFC, what a horrible book to finish this great series. And it pains me to give this 2 stars too. I finished this last night and was trying to think of a way to give this 3 stars, because I love the series but this was appallingly bad. Like, the author just dumped this one out and gave us the steaming pile ...more
Miche
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I was so excited for this book. It had so much potential to be the best of the series, but it ended up being the weakest installment. The story presented here didn't have enough plot development for one book. It feels like book 5 was part of 4, but since 4 got too big for the genre, the text was split into two. I don't think that was the best tactic. With a more throughout edition process, these two books should have been condensed into one and it would have been as amazing as book 3. As they st ...more
Mihir
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: I was extremely lucky to be able to read the conclusion to the Heartstrikers series in its manuscript form. I can't thank Rachel Aaron enough for her kindness and for being the awesome person that she is.

The blurb of this book is going to be a difficult one as how do you compose one for a series ender. As you can see with the official blurb as well, the author has kept it as spoiler-free as possible. I'll do my best to continue in the s
Kit (Metaphors and Moonlight)
4 Stars

Review:
This was the fifth and final book in the Heartstrikers series, and everything that's been building up in all the books really came together in an explosive finale!

Possibly the best thing about this series was the whole cast of characters---including dragons, mages, and spirits---all of whom were unique, three-dimensional, and oddly likeable or at least interesting and entertaining. So it was great seeing all of them come together against a common enemy in this book.

It was also grea
Ezinwanyi Chinyere

Enjoyment: ♥♥♥♥♥
Narration by Vikas Adam: ♥♥♥♥♥
Plot: ♥♥♥♥♥
Writing: ♥♥♥♥♥

What an amazing ending to such an awesome series. Narrator Vikas Adams really brought this Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron to life and solidified this series as one of the best Urban Fantasy series I’ve ever listened to. The range of voices from Julius to Svena to Justin etc, was brilliant and I was completely transfixed from book 1 to the end of this book.

Imagine the vermin hunter Julius Heartstriker from book 1 to thi
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Co-Despot of BB&B.

Like the previous two books it took me awhile to get into this one. For some reason (probably the wait between publications) I had trouble re-immersing myself into the world. Another problem was the narrator for the audiobook - somehow he sounded just wrong for all characters, even flat and identical at times. But after a few chapters as I reacquainted myself with Julius and company things got better and soon I couldn't put it down.

It was a good end of the
stormin
Jul 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so here's my review of books 3 - 5 of the Hearstriker series.

I don't know where to begin. I really don't relish writing 1-star reviews because I'm an aspiring author and (1) I don't want to make any enemies, (2) I feel badly criticizing people for doing more than I've ever done, (3) I wish the best for all authors out there living the dream. But, I can't give this book anything but 1-star, and--more importantly--I learned a lot from reading (most of) this book. So, trepidation notwithstandin
Lindsay
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Julius and Marcy are finally reunited, but both now have enormous responsibilities and a terrible foe that threatens the whole world. Bob's plans, made for centuries, are finally coming together.

Shorter than most of the previous books of the series, this is still an immensely satisfying conclusion to a really great series.
Blodeuedd Finland
I know my other reviews have basically been Squee Squee Squee, but this time I feel so empty. So sad.

It is over.

It is OVER!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My poor heart, my poor heart. No more Julius *sniff* No more Crazy Bob and his weird pigeon (thinking of Tesla, maybe they should marry) No more Chelsea and her Golden emperor. No more Fredrerick who I really started to like. You are awesome! *sobs* No more Justin who is just too much! Awww, Justin, you silly knucklehead.
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I can't believe this series is over, I need some more!

This series was beyound epic, it has everything amazing crammed into it. I don't even have words right now.

So it starts from after the last book ended, Algonquin has given up and the Leviathan is about to destroy earth, everyone is scrabbling to do what they can , Julius is rallying forces, Marci is battling at the sea of magic, Black Reach is still around being dark and gloomy and Justin is being his usual cocky adrenaline junky self.

I don't
Suz
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4+ stars.

This is an excellent series and the ending was tidy and feel good. I was heartened to see there will be a spin off trilogy hitting next year, so it's not all we've seen of the Heartstriker world. I will be aboard that train!

Lukasz
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
And so the journey ends.

I love Heartstrikers series. It’s a gem. Huge scale and epic events are pictured in a clever way and shown through eyes of relatable characters. I like most dragons pictured in the book. Even Bethesda. Yes. Even her.

Brohomir (aka Bob) is one of my favorite characters ever. He is a genius and he has a plan. He might win a game of chess with Lord Vetinari guys and no one does this. I always considered the series to be about Bob and his machinations and *Last Dragon Standi
Marianne
Wonderful wrap-up, though I'm desperate to know more of Bob and his beloved consort. It would make for an awesome spinoff-series.

Oh, and I never thought I'd say this, but I'm rooting for Sir Myron now. It can't eventually end with Julius outliving her. Seriously!

Cliterary Genius Reading Challenge, March: Finish a series.
I'm having a hard time not being so so so so excited about this book. Here's to hoping that it's all I'm dreaming of!

This was a nice, enjoyable ending to this series. I liked the roundabout plot that led to the conclusion of this story. It wasn't easy and there were a couple of setbacks along the way, but the events made sense in the world of the DNZ. Julius and Marci were still a little too naively optimistic, but it didn't bother me much. I liked that while the romance wasn't the focus of this
Donna
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is the final book in the Heartstrikers series. I was so sad to see it end.....oh, but what an ending. I loved the characters and the journey they were on throughout the whole thing. Bob was great, but I can say that about all of the characters. This was a lot of fun, especially for being in the fantasy genre. I don't spend a lot of time there, but I've grown to love it. And not only that, but some of my favorite series' are fantasy ones.

I listened to the audio versions of all 5 installments
Kristen
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks
Oh Heartstrikers... you were amazing from start to finish. This was a really good ending for you while still leaving room for more.

Bob is one of my favorite literary characters of all forevers now, very easily. Vikas Adam made Bob even more amazing than I think he would have been for me in print.

A new addition to the favorite series list, for sure! 10/10 would listen to in its entirety again.
Ms. Cyn
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

What an amazing conclusion to Julius' story! The sacrifices made and the teamwork that came about was uplifting and exciting. I loved how even the oldest enemies worked together. I loved all of it.
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Read/finished (audio): 7 Sept 2018 (★★★★)

RTC ??

For now, VG ending & loved the Epilogue. Really wished that book had been longer (or better edited/paced) for proper wrap-up to series w/ so many primary characters—perhaps intentionally left certain things unresolved/unanswered (*cough*Chelsie!!*cough*) for future book?

Absolutely rec series to UF fans who enjoy humour & snark, strong magical WB, and multi-para beings. Narrator Vikas Adam did a fantastic job bringing to life such a wide range of cha
Goodreads Librari...: editions 2 13 Jun 02, 2018 12:34PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Last Dragon Standing [Mar 10, 2018] 65 51 Mar 12, 2018 04:24PM

• Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • Warping Minds & Other Misdemeanors (The Guild Codex: Warped, #1)
  • Undeading Bells  (Fred, the Vampire Accountant #6)
  • The House That Walked Between Worlds (Uncertain Sanctuary Book 1)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • House In Hiding (Uncertain Sanctuary #2)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • Damned Souls and a Sangria (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #8)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Lost Talismans and a Tequila (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #7)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Battle Bond (Death Before Dragons, #2)
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more

Heartstrikers (5 books)
  • Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1)
  • One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • A Dragon of a Different Color (Heartstrikers, #4)

News & Interviews

“Of course I’m right,” Svena said. “I’ve always been the brains to your brute strength. That’s how our relationship works.” 1 likes
“[..] she wasn't a monster. None of them were. Dragons, spirits, humans, they were all just flawed floundering souls fumbling their way as best they could.” 0 likes