Start by marking “The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard, #1)

The Crown's Dog

(Golden Guard #1)

The first in an Air Awakens prequel trilogy.

A coastal summer is turned upside down by a violent murder, and a quest for lost pirate treasure turns into a hunt for the killer.

Jax Wendyll is the crown’s dog. As punishment for the unspeakable crimes that tourment him to this day, his life has been conscripted to the Empire Solaris. However, in an Empire afflicted by peace,
Published November 22nd 2016 by Silver Wing Press

Start your review of The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard, #1)
Katerina
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-reads
Review also posted on BookNest!

“He was going to burn them.
He was going to burn them alive.
He could do it. He would do it. He must do it. This was his destiny now as the Empire's monster. And what good was a monster if it could not be made useful for killing?”

Long before the last Windwalker embraced her powers, and the Emperor Solaris conquered the North, a golden prince decided to search for a pirate's hidden treasure. In this adventure he was not alone; an ambitious lord the West, the voice
Caitlin
May 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
YOURE TELLING ME THERES AN ENTIRE SERIES ABOUT MY FAVOURITE MEN IN THE AIR AWAKENS SERIES?! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP
L.R.W. Lee
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Air Awakens, you know the name "Crown's Dog" refers to Jax Wendyll. He's a good-hearted character who is quirky and unbalanced as a result of his past that torments him. We see him in action in this book and his deeds are definitely consistent with his later life. I love this character for he's not afraid to breach convention and we see that on full display as he "deals" with the antics of a 16-year-old Prince Baldair who has yet to make a name for himself. I particularly loved ...more
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book in advance by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Actual rating 4,5 stars.

First of all, you have to know I adored Air Awakens. I was not a reviewer yet at the time I read it, but I find myself thinking back to it and all of the amazing things that happened in those five books. Anyway, one of the many great things about it were the characters, and little did it matter if they were main or secondary ones. Among the side characters, Jax and Baldair
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
if only it wasn't so boring

also i'm still fucking salty and bitter that (view spoiler)

it's not actually a Jax book, but it's not a problem for me, because it focuses on Baldair and his relationship with his golden guards Erion and Jax. It's more or less Jax-centered, yes, but not a Jax book at all. And it's very preciousss! I can't wait for the next book with Raylynn.

Also there is no Vhalla (thanks GOD)
Beatrice in Bookland
"Luck would give with one hand and take with the other when it came to Jax's life."

me @ Elise Kova: so, after 200 pages of feels where is my Jax x Elecia centered trilogy ???
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
4 stars

Anyone whose been following me for the last month or so knows that I've been going through my 'Elise Kova Awakening'. I read the entire 'Air Awakens' series in little more than a week and am now midway through shipping the entire series from the States, because I need the hardback copies in my life.

You could read this book if you haven't read 'Air Awakens' but, honestly, it would make so much more sense and be so much more rewarding if you read AA first. So much of this book is about
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I was lucky enough to Beta read this story for Elise a few moths ago but I decided to wait until after it was published so I could review it more fairly. I spent all of today rereading it and refreshing my memory so I could finally upload this, so here we go!
This is the first installment in the prequel trilogy that focuses on the Golden Guard that we originally meet in the Air Awakens series. This story is dual POV and follows our beloved Jax and his good friend, Erion. Jax is the flirty male
Lauren
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Note: I received an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review. This in no way influences my opinion.

When I woke up the other day to this book sitting in my inbox, to say I was excited was an understatement! I was reading the last of Crystal Crowned at the time and I absolutely loved all of the books in the Air Awakens series. So, to be getting novellas, aka, the chance to revisit this world before the events of AA, I was sold!! I couldn't wait to find out more about the founding of
Ann (annreads)
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
“I’m exotic?” Erion raised his eyebrows.
“Dark hair, bright eyes—what a blend of South and West!” Baldair’s voice went shrill in a poor imitation of a maiden’s as he brought the back of his hand to his forehead in a swoon.
“Careful, I think he’s falling for you,” Jax cautioned.
“I think you’re the one who should look out.” Erion started along the alley for the paved street ahead. “You’re the one who has to live with him all year, and he clearly has a thing for Westerners.”
Jax waggled his eyebrows
Aneesa
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Could this series get any better?

First I felt like I was tortured from hell and back, next I felt my heart being ripped apart and then shredded in to a million pieces, I couldn't stand the pain. I didn't think it was possible for me to feel anymore pain, nope. But I did. How Elise manages to do this even in a novella is beyond my comprehension. I feel for anyone who is experiencing my pain right now *air hugs you* one million times.

ANYYYWAYYYSSS....time to get down to business

This one was
Nicole Burton
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading more about my favorite boys! I can't believe I waited so long to read this.
Jessica
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2017
This was a fun short story of the adventures of the golden guard as 16 year olds and how it came to be formed. It has quite a different feel to it than the Air Awakens series because the protagonists are so young so bear that in mind. Overall love a good murder mystery ghostly pirate adventure!
Kami
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't hate this book, I just didn't love it.
Full review to come.
Jade Klinger
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I plan to do a more indepth review of "Crown's Dog". But as always in every review I've done of Elise's books, she always blows my mind. I loved reading from the perceptive of Jax. It's been quite sometime since I've read it so all of my facts are scrambled, but Crown's Dog is extremely worthy of 5 stars, which is what I gave it! I hope to be rereading this book as well as continuing on with the rest of the trilogy, very soon.
GaelleB
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I want to start the Air Awakens series, I've heard great things about it. As Golden Guard is the prequel series, I've begun The Crown's Dog. I love the main characters and will definitely continue the series. The story was also interesting. 3/5 stars.
Lucy of House Rojas
all spoilers are tagged!

this book indeed has it all
in the previous series of elise kova's universe, we see elemental magic, ancient wars, mystical weapons and a chaoticly beautiful love story
in this prequel/spin off series we get that and more
to be honest this was a quite short book and that made it even better
usually high fantasy books are very long but this one was as fast paced as short, and that's a point
this trilogy is centered in three friends, two of which we met in the air awakens series
Christa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2017, mystery, fantasy
“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.”
The Crown’s Dog was an audio that basically took up my entire day. I ate, worked, and even slept (oops) while listening to it because the mix of engaging story and Zachary’s reading was just too good to hold off on.

Our story focuses on two point of views, Jax and Erion. Jax is a sorcerer who has been conscirpted to the service of the youngest prince. He has a past that haunts him, which we do get
Haddie
Winner read. Right off the bat. We get a deeper look into characters that we already know and love. Or I should say adore, because I know I adore them. Getting to see more of Jax, Erion, and Prince Baldair. We even have a run-in with the Fire Lord. As usual, Elise Kova gives us a reason to grin, chuckle, cry and everything possibly in between. Having read and loved the Air Awakens series (except Crystal Crowned, as I have to finished that one), I truly loved to come back and revisit this world ...more
Sabrina
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
My full review will be on my blog soon, however before it gets there I'd like to thank Elise Kova for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the story and plot to this prequel book. I for one believe it was a nice lead in into this Golden Guard prequel series. It was amazing getting back into a series I so much enjoyed. It also showed how much I really did miss these wonderful characters.

However a few minor things may have bothered me about about the actually voices of
Emmie
In the Air awakens series I always loved Jax. This just showed me more of his past, his pain, and his loyalty. The friendship between these three men is amazing. Even though this is a prequel story I would not read it before the Air Awakens series, because you might not appreciate the character development in the it if you read this first. It is a great look into characters I already knew and loved.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A strong opening to this prequel series to the Air Awakens books. I will say that only having male POV's would normally turn me off from a book but since I know all these characters and am already invested in their lives I didn't mind! I sure hope we get a female pov and some romance in book 2. But overall I loved this and the whole Pirate mystery.
Caitlin
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
For more reviews like this check out Shelfie!

“Next you’re going to tell me that you want to go find this long lost treasure.”
Baldair grinned like a fool.

I am late to the party with The Crown’s Dog. In fact, I didn’t even know it had been released until after I ordered my copy of Alchemists of Loom last month and Amazon suggested I also purchase The Crown’s Dog. So, of course, I did just that. How could I turn down an opportunity to return to the world of Air Awakens with Baldair at my side? My
Stacy Bennett
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I didn't read this but listened to it. A tale of pirate curses, missing treasure and murder, it was nonetheless a fairly light read and quite enjoyable. Though it was odd that a convicted criminal would be sentenced to serve a Prince so closely, I'm sure there is more to the story of how Jax came to be Baldair's man than just those simple facts. Obviously, Jax's traumatic past will be further discussed in later stories and I am eager to unravel it.

The humorous banter and
Travis
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this little story/prequel very much. This series takes place before the events of the Air Awakens series, which I thought was good. Now the Crown's Dog which is the first in the Golden Guards Trilogy is a bit of murder mystery mixed with ghost stories. This combo of storytelling made this journey so entertaining. Another big reason is this does follow some of the characters I really enjoyed from the main series, so that helped a lot as well. The journey was short, yes, but it ...more
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I am absolutely obsessed with everything Elise Kova puts out I guess. Her writing is so perfect! I love all the characters and the mystery/treasure hunt/murder/pirate-ness of this book! I need to finish the Air Awakens and the Golden Guards trilogy now!
Ana Carolina
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Teigan
Oct 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh my god.... So excited for this because I adore the Golden Guard. They were pretty much my favourite thing about the Air Awakens series. Definitely gonna be a bittersweet read. ;___;
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of the Air Awakens series I have to say we're really lucky to be getting more from the world! I was wary at first to get a look into the pasts of our beloved characters but Elise gives us another fun-filled story with The Crown's Dog.

I enjoyed this glimpse into the earlier years of the heartbreaker prince's life. Baldir is so full of life. He's also a lot of trouble which was what landed them in the midst of a mystery surrounding an infamous pirate and her curse. While the beginning
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Glass Kingdom (Fantasy and Fairytales, #4)
  • Golden Chains (Fantasy and Fairytales, #2)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • Glass Princess (Fantasy and Fairytales, #5)
  • Golden Curse (Fantasy and Fairytales, #1)
  • Golden Crown (Fantasy and Fairytales, #3)
  • Kin of Kings (The Kin of Kings #1)
  • Queen of the Fae (Dragon's Gift: The Dark Fae #3)
  • Shadows of Kings (The Kin of Kings, #3)
  • Rise of Legends (The Kin of Kings, #2)
  • City of Wind (Steel and Fire, #4)
  • The Akorell Break (The Mortal Mage #2)
  • Blade & Rose (Blade and Rose, #1)
  • The Edge of Shadow (The Kin of Kings Book 5)
  • A Crumble of Walls (The Kin of Kings Book 4)
  • Dance of Steel (Steel and Fire, #3)
  • Crime and Punishment (Great Falls Academy #2)
  • Scent of a Wolf (Great Falls Academy #3)
Elise Kova is the USA Today bestselling author of fantasy stories filled with magic and romance.

In her past lives, she has graduated from an MBA program, lived in Japan for a bit, and worked for a Fortune 500 technology company. However, she finds herself much happier in her current reincarnation as full-time author. When not writing, she can usually be found playing video games, drawing, watching

Golden Guard (3 books)
  • The Prince's Rogue (Golden Guard, #2)
  • The Farmer's War (Golden Guard #3)
“He was going to burn them.
He was going to burn them alive.
0 likes