Start by marking “The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard, #1)

The Crown's Dog (Golden Guard #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  353 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
The first in an Air Awakens prequel trilogy.

A coastal summer is turned upside down by a violent murder, and a quest for lost pirate treasure turns into a hunt for the killer.

Jax Wendyll is the crown’s dog. As punishment for the unspeakable crimes that tourment him to this day, his life has been conscripted to the Empire Solaris. However, in an Empire afflicted by peace, hi
Published November 22nd 2016 by Silver Wing Press

Katerina
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-reads
Review also posted on BookNest!

“He was going to burn them.
He was going to burn them alive.
He could do it. He would do it. He must do it. This was his destiny now as the Empire's monster. And what good was a monster if it could not be made useful for killing?”

Long before the last Windwalker embraced her powers, and the Emperor Solaris conquered the North, a golden prince decided to search for a pirate's hidden treasure. In this adventure he was not alone; an ambitious lord the West, the voice
Caitlin
May 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
YOURE TELLING ME THERES AN ENTIRE SERIES ABOUT MY FAVOURITE MEN IN THE AIR AWAKENS SERIES?! SIGN ME THE FUCK UP
L.R.W. Lee
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you've read Air Awakens, you know the name "Crown's Dog" refers to Jax Wendyll. He's a good-hearted character who is quirky and unbalanced as a result of his past that torments him. We see him in action in this book and his deeds are definitely consistent with his later life. I love this character for he's not afraid to breach convention and we see that on full display as he "deals" with the antics of a 16-year-old Prince Baldair who has yet to make a name for himself. I particularly loved th ...more
rin (lorenzo)
if only it wasn't so boring

also i'm still fucking salty and bitter that (view spoiler)

it's not actually a Jax book, but it's not a problem for me, because it focuses on Baldair and his relationship with his golden guards Erion and Jax. It's more or less Jax-centered, yes, but not a Jax book at all. And it's very preciousss! I can't wait for the next book with Raylynn.

Also there is no Vhalla (thanks GOD) a
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book in advance by the author for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

Actual rating 4,5 stars.

First of all, you have to know I adored Air Awakens. I was not a reviewer yet at the time I read it, but I find myself thinking back to it and all of the amazing things that happened in those five books. Anyway, one of the many great things about it were the characters, and little did it matter if they were main or secondary ones. Among the side characters, Jax and Baldair we
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
4 stars

Anyone whose been following me for the last month or so knows that I've been going through my 'Elise Kova Awakening'. I read the entire 'Air Awakens' series in little more than a week and am now midway through shipping the entire series from the States, because I need the hardback copies in my life.

You could read this book if you haven't read 'Air Awakens' but, honestly, it would make so much more sense and be so much more rewarding if you read AA first. So much of this book is about c
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelves
I was lucky enough to Beta read this story for Elise a few moths ago but I decided to wait until after it was published so I could review it more fairly. I spent all of today rereading it and refreshing my memory so I could finally upload this, so here we go!
This is the first installment in the prequel trilogy that focuses on the Golden Guard that we originally meet in the Air Awakens series. This story is dual POV and follows our beloved Jax and his good friend, Erion. Jax is the flirty male ch
Lauren
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Note: I received an ARC copy of this book in return for an honest review. This in no way influences my opinion.

When I woke up the other day to this book sitting in my inbox, to say I was excited was an understatement! I was reading the last of Crystal Crowned at the time and I absolutely loved all of the books in the Air Awakens series. So, to be getting novellas, aka, the chance to revisit this world before the events of AA, I was sold!! I couldn't wait to find out more about the founding of th
Beatrice (beatriceinbookland)
"Luck would give with one hand and take with the other when it came to Jax's life."

me @ Elise Kova: so, after 200 pages of feels where is my Jax x Elecia centered trilogy ???
Ann (annreads)
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
“I’m exotic?” Erion raised his eyebrows.
“Dark hair, bright eyes—what a blend of South and West!” Baldair’s voice went shrill in a poor imitation of a maiden’s as he brought the back of his hand to his forehead in a swoon.
“Careful, I think he’s falling for you,” Jax cautioned.
“I think you’re the one who should look out.” Erion started along the alley for the paved street ahead. “You’re the one who has to live with him all year, and he clearly has a thing for Westerners.”
Jax waggled his eyebrows a
Aneesa
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Could this series get any better?

First I felt like I was tortured from hell and back, next I felt my heart being ripped apart and then shredded in to a million pieces, I couldn't stand the pain. I didn't think it was possible for me to feel anymore pain, nope. But I did. How Elise manages to do this even in a novella is beyond my comprehension. I feel for anyone who is experiencing my pain right now *air hugs you* one million times.

ANYYYWAYYYSSS....time to get down to business

This one was
Jessica (HighFantasyFanatic)
This was a fun short story of the adventures of the golden guard as 16 year olds and how it came to be formed. It has quite a different feel to it than the Air Awakens series because the protagonists are so young so bear that in mind. Overall love a good murder mystery ghostly pirate adventure!
Kami
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't hate this book, I just didn't love it.
Full review to come.
Jade Klinger
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I plan to do a more indepth review of "Crown's Dog". But as always in every review I've done of Elise's books, she always blows my mind. I loved reading from the perceptive of Jax. It's been quite sometime since I've read it so all of my facts are scrambled, but Crown's Dog is extremely worthy of 5 stars, which is what I gave it! I hope to be rereading this book as well as continuing on with the rest of the trilogy, very soon.
Christa
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audio, mystery, 2017
“I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.”
The Crown’s Dog was an audio that basically took up my entire day. I ate, worked, and even slept (oops) while listening to it because the mix of engaging story and Zachary’s reading was just too good to hold off on.

Our story focuses on two point of views, Jax and Erion. Jax is a sorcerer who has been conscirpted to the service of the youngest prince. He has a past that haunts him, which we do get
Haddie Harper
Winner read. Right off the bat. We get a deeper look into characters that we already know and love. Or I should say adore, because I know I adore them. Getting to see more of Jax, Erion, and Prince Baldair. We even have a run-in with the Fire Lord. As usual, Elise Kova gives us a reason to grin, chuckle, cry and everything possibly in between. Having read and loved the Air Awakens series (except Crystal Crowned, as I have to finished that one), I truly loved to come back and revisit this world a ...more
Sabrina
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
My full review will be on my blog soon, however before it gets there I'd like to thank Elise Kova for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the story and plot to this prequel book. I for one believe it was a nice lead in into this Golden Guard prequel series. It was amazing getting back into a series I so much enjoyed. It also showed how much I really did miss these wonderful characters.

However a few minor things may have bothered me about about the actually voices of
Emmie
In the Air awakens series I always loved Jax. This just showed me more of his past, his pain, and his loyalty. The friendship between these three men is amazing. Even though this is a prequel story I would not read it before the Air Awakens series, because you might not appreciate the character development in the it if you read this first. It is a great look into characters I already knew and loved.
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A strong opening to this prequel series to the Air Awakens books. I will say that only having male POV's would normally turn me off from a book but since I know all these characters and am already invested in their lives I didn't mind! I sure hope we get a female pov and some romance in book 2. But overall I loved this and the whole Pirate mystery.
Caitlin
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
For more reviews like this check out Shelfie!

“Next you’re going to tell me that you want to go find this long lost treasure.”
Baldair grinned like a fool.

I am late to the party with The Crown’s Dog. In fact, I didn’t even know it had been released until after I ordered my copy of Alchemists of Loom last month and Amazon suggested I also purchase The Crown’s Dog. So, of course, I did just that. How could I turn down an opportunity to return to the world of Air Awakens with Baldair at my side? My
Stacy Bennett
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I didn't read this but listened to it. A tale of pirate curses, missing treasure and murder, it was nonetheless a fairly light read and quite enjoyable. Though it was odd that a convicted criminal would be sentenced to serve a Prince so closely, I'm sure there is more to the story of how Jax came to be Baldair's man than just those simple facts. Obviously, Jax's traumatic past will be further discussed in later stories and I am eager to unravel it.

The humorous banter and camarader
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I am absolutely obsessed with everything Elise Kova puts out I guess. Her writing is so perfect! I love all the characters and the mystery/treasure hunt/murder/pirate-ness of this book! I need to finish the Air Awakens and the Golden Guards trilogy now!
Teigan
Oct 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Oh my god.... So excited for this because I adore the Golden Guard. They were pretty much my favourite thing about the Air Awakens series. Definitely gonna be a bittersweet read. ;___;
Eileen (BookCatPin)
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a big fan of the Air Awakens series I have to say we're really lucky to be getting more from the world! I was wary at first to get a look into the pasts of our beloved characters but Elise gives us another fun-filled story with The Crown's Dog.

I enjoyed this glimpse into the earlier years of the heartbreaker prince's life. Baldir is so full of life. He's also a lot of trouble which was what landed them in the midst of a mystery surrounding an infamous pirate and her curse. While the beginning
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I beta read the manuscript. However, I reread the finished copy of the book to give an opinion based on the finalized version.

I will have a series review of the Golden Guard trilogy up on Books and Ladders on November 29th! It'll be a year since they released and that I read them, but they still hold such a special place in my heart. You can get an omnibus of the series on Amazon!

I absolutely adored The Crown's Dog and loved stepping back into the world of Air Awakens. We meet all t
Kathleen Stebbins
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Everything in this book is fantastic. I've been so elated while reading the Crowns Dog, revisiting old friends with fresh perspectives! Watching as the Golden Guard forms and becomes official has been awesome.

This is a mystery, a search for long lost treasure stolen from the Crown. Along the way they get turned about by smugglers, common street thieves and no one is pointing them in the right direction. The whole town is in on something, who can you trust?

I especially enjoyed the how the chapt
Maud
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out my full review here: https://youtu.be/yfo_m6GqjEU?t=2m50s
The author kindly supplied me with an ARC in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

I absolutely love and adore the Air Awakens series by Elise Kova and when I found out about the prequel novellas I was as happy as I could be! Then I found out that it was going to be about Jax, ERION (<3) and Baldair and I knew that this was going to be perfect.

Some things that I loved were the plot (pirate treasure!) and myste
Sarah Merrill
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wasn't intrigued by the mystery at all and felt the book rather dragged on, though I did feel some sparks of joy from the interactions between the golden guard members. It really reminded me of a beach filler episode from an anime--some fun interaction between the characters, but overall a rather shallow plot. Just lacked some swimsuit shots, though Jax does end up in not very much clothing at one point so it almost evens out.
Isabella
After reading:

It was good... I liked it... But it was not what I expected, and it certainly wasn't Air Awakens... Could have been better, but I liked it. Still... meh....

Before reading:

Why am I only finding out about this now!!!! How did I not know this was a thing?!?!?!?!?! I need it!!!! Like, yesterday!!! But I'd settle for tomorrow... YES YES YES!!!!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Elise Kova is the USA Today bestselling author of the Air Awakens series, Loom Saga, and Wish Quartet.

In her past lives, she has graduated from an MBA program, lived in Japan for a bit, and worked for a Fortune 500 technology company. However, she finds herself much happier in her current reincarnation as full-time author. When not writing, she can usually be found playing video games, drawing, wa
More about Elise Kova

Golden Guard (3 books)
  • The Prince's Rogue (Golden Guard, #2)
  • The Farmer's War (Golden Guard #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“He was going to burn them.
He was going to burn them alive.
0 likes