Start by marking “Hooktheory I: Music Theory” as Want to Read:
Hooktheory I: Music Theory

Hooktheory I: Music Theory

Librarian's Note: This is an alternate-cover edition for ISBN 9780985681005

This is the music theory / songwriting book you’ll love. Hooktheory is an intuitive, modern take on music theory that answers the questions you care the most about: Why do certain chords fit together easily, and others not so easily? How can I get from this chord to that chord? How can I create a g
Published October 2016 by Hooktheory LLC (first published June 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hooktheory I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooktheory I

Robert Alexander
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-theory
Anybody interested in learning music theory and writing songs should really check out the site, Hooktheory. It is an online (or mobile) interactive theory textbook that teaches music theory using popular music (eg. Rock) and an innovative system of notation. It also has an associated web app called HookPad that greatly assists you in writing songs by guiding you as to what chords might work best in what you're writing based on an analysis of what is most common in existing popular songs. It's aw ...more
Justin
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was phenomenal. My time with HookTheory was one of the most lucid and enjoyable educational experiences I've ever had. As an amateur piano player who has always just read and played the sheet music, the number of "aha!" moments I had while reading was enough to keep me going back to the HookTheory website to try their daily dictations as I wait eagerly for the sequel.

HookTheory is the quintessential example of technology being used in a modest and focused way to make learning so much m
Danny Little
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL singer/songwriters and producers
Shelves: music-theory
THIS! This book has completely reinforced and changed my life as a producer and song writer! There was an understand that I THOUGHT I had as a music producer. I've never been classically trained nor trained at all, but I've dug into thousands of Music Theory tutorials that have given me a solid understanding. But! What the guys here at Hooktheory have done for me is give me a solid understanding of the FUNCTION of EVERY CHORD! They've answered the question "WHY does that 'FEEL' the way it does?" ...more
Chnebierk
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-theory
I enjoyed this book a lot !! For the given price, I didn't expect to learn that much, they made a very good job in making music theory fun to learn while explaining everything in detail !
They alwas provide you examples and exercises to make sure you understand everything :) I can't find anything negative to say about it, I was convinced by it and totally recommend it ! Try it for yourself, they have a very good website by the way : www.hooktheory.com
Paulmax1987
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Book is the Final Touch after you understand Music Theory,it gave me that kind of thing that I was looking for but never found.If you are serious about making Music this book is a number 1 Choice.
Frank
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-theory
Best music theory book period. Don't look anywhere else because Hook theory has it all.
JF Remillard
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good starting point for understanding most popular music. I noticed that some reviewer commented on the fact that a lot of details are missing, on more advanced harmony, for example, and it is true; but this book is still a valuable resource and it presents information in a very user friendly way which is reminiscent of the way jazz music is taught. This is important because if you want to dig deeper into harmony at some point, this book will have provided you with a good foundation.

Most popular
Kate Stone
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s great to see an approach to music theory that doesn’t spend so long dwelling a single topic that you fail get a broad overview before the first idea have long since faded. Hooktheory moves along at a refreshing clip, jumping from topic to topic with examples that are likely to be familiar to a casual listener rather than a dedicated student. The audiovisual elements in electronic additions help drive po8nts home and overall its very effective.

It’s also quite brief, considering the price poi
Logan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it

Initially, I was going to give this book 2.5 stars and move along with my day, since if you already know even the very basics of music theory, this book will be too simple for you, but when I got to the end, I noticed a simple message.
If you want to be extra helpful, add Hooktheory I to your "music theory" shelf on Goodreads.

The book proceeds to give instructions on how to rate a book and even create an account, leading to the extreme ratings shown here. The book itself is fine, sure, b
Brent
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a songwriter or an aspiring songwriter without a solid understanding of music theory as it applies to popular music, I cannot recommend this ebook highly enough. In a very concise, clear, practical, and focused manner, this ebook covers the elements of music theory required to construct good chord progressions and melodies. It takes advantage of the ebook format to give audio/visual examples of everything it presents, which increases its learning value immensely. I've never seen anythi ...more
Sujay Tandel
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Music Theory Beginners
Recommended to Sujay Tandel by: Nicky Romero
Shelves: music-theory
If you are a real beginner in music and want to learn music theory you should really check this book out.
This book will give anyone the strong foundation and the basics to start in music. The book has the syntax like explanation and then example of that whats been taught. And also has questions to round that up if you actually understood what was being taught.

After reading this book I think why didn't I read this book earlier!
Nate Larson
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a big music guy but I got this because I wanted to learn a little bit about music as a side hobby from a more mathematical/pattern perspective.

Frankly, this book taught me more about music in 3 hours than 6 years of taking music classes in public school did.

It's got everything you want in a real-world model: concise, few components, handles all cases, simple. It simplifies everything tremendously. I don't understand why all music isn't written in their syntax.
Shaille
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am mostly a self-taught musician so I don't have much experience with music theory. I was looking for something that would teach me the basics in a way that was easy to understand - this book was perfect!!! It was exactly what I hoped it would be, thank you!!
elon kafka
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
best book on music theory I've come across
Karl Karl
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-theory
That was just ABSOLUTELY amazing!!
They just give you the best INFO ever i'm so thankful because
they covered a lot of things that took me from 25% into
100% in learning music
looking forward to buy the next one!
keep the good work
Cheers
Karl
Benjamin Bond
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am just going to copy and paste my review for hook theory II, is applicable to both books:

This book is wonderful! I have reread it 3 times already. By far the best book on songwriting I have ever read. It has a huge amount of information in it, and it's all explained really well. There are also many examples using pop music, And they are right there in the text. All the other songwriting books I've read use music classical music examples, which is useless to me.

Hook theory I and II are way mo
Stephen Souza
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hello good readers,

I find this book to be invaluable and a refreshing approach to standard notation. The focus on colors, scale degrees and roman numerals is what I like best. Hookpad software is used for these lessons which I downloaded and really find helpful.

The five chapters contain practical information that you can apply right away. There are plenty of examples enhancing the learning experience.

The book starts with an introduction called building blocks. This sets the stage for the infor
Konstantin Karpitsky
Wonderful book! Very simple for everyone (even for beginners) but very powerful. I hope there will more musical aspects explained in the 2nd book, but this book is enough to start making your own songs.
In every chapter, there are interactive sessions when you should answer questions. It is very useful and helps to understand the material deeper.
One interesting feature for those who are afraid of notation: there is an alternative way to remember everything (chords, keys, notes, etc...) that is ex
Cameron
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: making, music-theory
I played piano / guitar for a number of years, and was interested in composition a little bit but couldn't take theory classes. A friend recommended this last year and I finally have found the time to work through it- and I'm very glad that I did!

Wonderful interactive + illustrated examples- made pieces of music theory very clear that I hadn't wrapped my head around before. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in music, even if you know the theory already- the tools and illustrated e
Denny Buckley
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a 67 year old man who received a music degree 40 years ago but never used it. Since retiring, I am actively singing, arranging and composing Christian music. The new hooktheory technique is helpful and interactive. It is such a great review of basic music theory with a more understandable and workable twist. I am anticipating the next book. This first book is such a "big bang for your buck!" I would recommend this to anyone interested in composing or arranging music in any genre. It makes co ...more
Ryan Hughes
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did the online version of this book and it was absolutely excellent! Really easy to read, follow and comprehend. Learning music theory and chord progressions is somewhat dry on the surface, but this book really made it interesting with real examples to illustrate and enforce its points. The teaching style and building block approach is very effective, as well as using interchangeable degree nomenclature instead of one key signature made it extremely easy to learn the fundamental concepts. Tota ...more
Fxnick
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooktheory is an amazing guide that explains the basics of music theory while also showing how it functions in modern music. Amazing for beginners who get confused over all the wordy theory books Hooktheory will set you on the right path to writing your own jams and learning the language of music. I would t necessarily recommend Hooktheory to the intermediate class of musicians because the more basic concepts are gone over more. I would however recommend their website which has amazing tools tha ...more
Songtao
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Content: It is about the very fundamental music theory, aiming for the beginners. Being that said, it is still very useful for whoever want to know how music works. it is a very easy-to-follow music theory book. It has included some interactive exercises to cement the knowledge as well as many audio examples. Will come back for the reference when writing the music.
Design: I bought it as the web version and I quite like it.
Daniello
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got to say that this book killed it!!!!!! I've searched all the internet to find something or someone who could explain how music works. Didn't find anything, but then God sent me to HookTheory! This book had everything and much more, and it's so easy to understand. Can't wait to start reading the second book! From the bottom of my heart thank you guys, you're the best!
Buddy Mcwilliams
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-theory
As a classically trained musician, I found this take on Music Theory education to be both informative and refreshing. Utilizing modern examples in a highly interactive manner has allowed this introductory level instruction to shine. I will definitely recommend this to other musicians seeking to begin their journey in to Music Theory.
Maarten Van den bossche
This really gave a decent insight in the basics of music theory.
It was explained really clearly with an easy to understand system.
Roger Lopes
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
sad because it didn`t talk about sus2, 7`s, 9`s, etc... all the stuff stayed out of the book =\ ...more
Francesco Cangemi
one day i bought hooktheory I.
the next day i bought hooktheory II.
Cat