Start by marking “Shadow Magic (Shadow Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Magic (Shadow Magic, #1)

Shadow Magic

(Shadow Magic #1)

In a world ruled by six ancient Houses of Magic, a girl and a boy begin an epic and dangerous journey of discovery... After her parents' murder, 13-year-old Lilith "Lily" Shadow rules Gehenna from Castle Gloom, an immense and windowless citadel. Once Lily's ancestors commanded spirits, communed with the dead, and raised armies from out of the grave. But now her country is ...more
Published October 6th 2016 by Scholastic (first published April 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Magic, please sign up.
Joshua Khan Of course! Can't give too many details away about DREAM MAGIC except it's out in April 17, but the cover's up so you can gather a few hints of what…moreOf course! Can't give too many details away about DREAM MAGIC except it's out in April 17, but the cover's up so you can gather a few hints of what Lily and Thorn will be up against next...(less)
Joshua Khan Three right now. Shadow Magic (out), Dream Magic (April 2017), Burning Magic (April 2018).

Rick Riordan
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's not really fair for me to recommend this yet, because you won't be able to buy it until it comes out in April, but I would highly recommend you keep it on your long-term radar.

Have you ever started reading a book thinking, 'Oh, well, I may not like it but I'll give it a try,' then quickly found yourself sucked into the story and thinking, 'Holy Hera, this is good!' That was my experience with Shadow Magic. It's told from the alternating perspectives of Thorn, the wayward son of an outlaw, a
Miriam
Quitting halfway through. Other than the opening scene at the slave market everything has been really generic middle grade fantasy. I feel like I can predict the "revelations" that are going to happen re: the characters' heritage etc. Nothing particularly stands out about them or the writing. If you are young and haven't read a lot of fantasy, this is probably a satisfactory if mediocre read, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for grown ups, or even kids who've read a lot of the genre already ...more
Juan Manuel Sarmiento
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4,5/5
Magia Sombría es una aventura excitante protagonizada por un grupo variopinto en un mundo lleno de oscuridad y misterios donde le dan todo un ingenioso vuelco a los clichés de la fantasía.
Reseña completa en THE BEST READ YET BLOG
Sandra Uv
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75/5

Me ha gustado mucho. Previsible pero muy entretenido y con una ambientación fantástica.
Reseña completa: http://addicionaloslibros.blogspot.co...
~Tina~
Now this was a fun book! Shadow Magic has all the stuff I love in my escape. The writing is seriously fantastic with it's crisp storytelling, the characters are imaginative, witty and wonderfully wicked and the world has me craving for more! This goes right up there with Harry Potter and Percy Jackson! I can't wait for book two!! Highly recommended!
Ornella Calcagnile
Recensione completa su Peccati di Penna
Mi è capitato di ricevere una copia digitale di Shadow Magic, un fantasy per ragazzi che ammetto pensavo non fosse adatto a me, sia per genere che per target di riferimento e, infatti, sulle prime battute ero tentata di mollare… però, pagina dopo pagina, sono entrata nell’opera e alla fine mi è anche piaciuta tanto.

Leggendo, la prima impressione è stata di trovarmi in una sorta di Game of Thrones molto edulcorato: casate, guerre, matrimoni combinati per st
Mary
If you enjoy fast paced sword and sorcery, this will be an impossible high fantasy novel to put down. The characters are compelling, the world building is well-crafted, and the plot is riveting. The fantasy reminded me of Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series while the twists and turns of the plot brought Jennifer Nielsen's The False Prince to mind. Recommended for those middle grade readers who are on the lookout for the next series to read after Harry Potter.
Carolina GO
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

¡Este libro me ha sorprendido un montón! Me enamoré de la ambientación, personajes y la pluma del autor. Me tardé en leerlo por circunstancias personales pero estoy segura que lo hubiera terminado en dos días.
¡Increíble historia! Lo recomiendo mucho
Ophelie
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
recensione completa su: http://mypageslapage.blogspot.it/2016...
Questo romanzo cattura fin dal principio, scritto in maniera scorrevole, grazie all'alternarsi delle voci di Thorn e Lily, ci concede la possibilità di addentrarci in una storia che ci porta a vivere un'avventura piena di magia, azione e pericolo, in una miscela che ci fa ritrovare quel sapore delle favole di una volta e che con immenso piacere ci ritroviamo a vivere.
Quello che mi ha stupito maggiornmente è che, nonostante sia un ro
IlariaAlways
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Questo è uno di quei libri per ragazzi che potrebbero davvero piacere a tutti. Ci sono un sacco di argomenti trattati, e quindi potrebbe venire in contro ai gusti di tutti. L'amicizia, l'amore, la famiglia, le ambientazioni un po' creepy tutte a tema Halloween, combattimenti, misteri. Assolutamente consigliato.
Jasmine
Family, and found family, and giant bats. Adorable and perilous. This is more traditionally in the Fantasy Tropes way than the author's other stuff, but he still finds a way to spin it to unusual and interesting. (For example, the necromancer isn't necessarily the bad guy in this story.)
Ann
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a really long time since I've read a middle grade fantasy that kept me enthralled and was original. Shadow Magic restored my faith in middle grade fantasy.
Tessa
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It. Is. AMAZING!!!!!!! The plot and characters are well developed. And it is a fun book to read.
Maddie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SECOND BOOK FOF BOOKTUBATHON DONE! This was so fun. Very Game of Thrones for a middle grade novel. I loved the setting of Castle Gloom though I did find the inclusion of the love triangle unnecessary (personally could have done with out any romance in this book honestly).
Lid
Reseña en el blog: http://librosdelcielo.blogspot.com.es...

Not bad.

Hades es una copia de Desdentado y los solares de los lunares. Fuera de eso Lily es divertida y oscura y Thorn es un tópico andante de protagonista middle-grade. No está mal, está entretenido pero no tiene muchas sorpresas ni es especialmente original.
Christina
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2018
A fun middle-grade fantasy, series starter. For fans of Harry Potter or "Lord of the Rings lite," this book is set in a unique land, with various kingdoms, and there are different magic abilities for each of the royal families. The main character, Thorn, gets taken to Castle Gloom as a slave/apprentice to the royal executioner. Castle Gloom is where the Shadow family lives, currently ruled by the princess Lily--but as girls are forbidden to practice magic, she is frustrated by that restriction. ...more
Claire Grassman
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended by three authors I love--Rick Riordin, Cinda Williams Chima, & Rachel Hawkins--I could NOT wait to dig into this fantasy fiction.

A Princess of Shadows, her unlikely bond with a slave, Sorcery, Necromancy, and, oh, a giant bat I fell in love with all combine into a fast-paced story that I couldn't put down. Though it's a middle-grade fiction, the depth of the characters and layers of conflict give this adult-level interest. Excellent writing, too! I especially liked the da
Rebecca
A very good start to a new YA series about 7 kingdoms and the young adults getting read to rule them. The characters are appealing and well drawn and the writing is first-rate.

Thorn, a scrappy kid from a poor family, is kidnapped by slavers and on sale when he meets the chief executioner of the Shadow Kingdom. The Shadows wield dark magic, raising ghosts and zombies to do their fighting for them. Not a natural place for Thorn who grew up in the forest and has a fearsome set of skills for living
Joan
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantsy lovers who like strong female characters
I read this because Rick Riordan recommended it. I was skeptical since both use the same publisher, but there was a lot of originality in this title. Hades was probably my favorite animal in this story. I loved Thorn and his loyalty to those he loves, especially his Dad. K'leef is also a great character. Lilly of course, is really wonderful. She grows during the story and changes, which can be an indication of an excellent book. Lilly is no spoiled princess, content to let others carry out all t ...more
Katy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and YA in need of a short-and-sweet mystery/fantasy
THIS BOOK...I don't even know what to say about it. I loved it. So very, very much.

This book follows the intertwining stories of runaway Thorn and Lilith, the 13-year-old Queen of Shadows. From the beginngin, I could relate to Lily's spunky and defiant attitude--definitely not how you would think a queen would act. Her determination combined with Thorn's wit and confidence made for a magical story that's impossible to put down. And a giant bat? The perfect touch.
Overall, the book was beautifully
Annie
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favoritos
Reseña completa--- http://bit.ly/2oe2OuE
Frases---- http://bit.ly/23zrIDA

Magia_Sombría_Joshua_Khan

Hay varios aspectos que quiero mencionar de esta maravillosa historia, el primero es el mundo tan fantástico, oscuro y bien trazado que nos regala el autor, este libro logro algo que pocos consiguen crear su propio universo con sus propias leyendas y su folclore, muchos libros cuando usan una leyenda la retoman de una ya existente pero en el caso de Magia Sombría no es así, nos encontramos ante un mundo creado de una manera
Babù93
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Gli do quattro stelle, ma non è un voto pieno
Cattivo abbastanza prevedibile e per il momento non mi sono affezionata appieno ai personaggi.
A parte questo piccolo dettaglio mi è piaciuto davvero tanto. Anche se il finale non mi ha spronata più di tanto a leggere il secondo, sembra un po' autoconclusivo e invece ci sono altri due libri.
Ashley Brooks
Alright, I'm just not getting into this. To be fair, (view spoiler)
Alexa
3.5 stars!
Lucía Cafeína
3.5
Eh eh eh, ha sido muy guay, tiene unos cuantos puntazos, y el misterio ha sido adictivo. Tengo ganas de continuar con la historia!
Gustavo Palestino Zeler
Amo este libro es increible , fue un viaje increible, desde que lo vi , super que era increible, el mundo de Magia Sombría es legendario , nunca había visto un mundo tan profundo, cuido cada detalle , es hermoso , lo recomiendo ampliamente , no deje de leerlo , es trepidante , hay emoción desde la primera pagina hasta la ultima y si me enamore de la Princesa de la Oscuridad , me encantaría servir a Lady Sombra
The Keepers of the Books
Captured by slavers while trying to locate his father, Thorn is purchased by Tyburn, an executioner who works for the House Shadow. Agreeing to work a year and a day in exchange for his freedom, Thorn heads to Castle Gloom with Tyburn. There, he meets Lily Shadow. Except for her drunk of an uncle, her family was all recently murdered by a group of assassins. Tyburn managed to kill all but one and now that assassin seems to be back to murder Lily and Lily's betrothed may be the one who hired them ...more
Hannah Belyea
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Thorn, sold to the executioner of Castle Gloom, soon finds himself helping the young Queen of Gehenna, Lilith Shadow, solve the mystery of what happened to her murdered parents and how she can get out of a horrible marriage! Khan begins a morbidly sharp and witty trilogy that will have fans of dark fantasy begging for more with its spectacular lore, cast and magic. The greatest secrets are laying within the deepest shadows of a kingdom lost in the dark arts...
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

It's been a long time since I've read something thats middle grade and at first this provided a few issues for me simply because I kept forgetting the main characters were only 12 / 13 and that meant the way they were acting - childish, not thinking things through, etc - were completely fitting for them.

However once I got past this and firmly remembered that yes these are just children that I'm reading abou
Jenny
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Read this aloud to my 9 year old. There's magic and mystery and dark versus light (the Shadow family versus the Solar family...in an interesting twist that I'm still uncertain how I feel about it...the Shadows (dark) are the good guys and the Solar family are not so good). It's a fun story with a ginormous bat and some fun twists. It was interesting because near the end, you discover who killed Lilly Shadow's parents. The person who did it proclaims that he did it for the good of Gehenna. He say ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan -- Starting November 2016 1 8 Jul 08, 2016 04:51PM
  • Accession of the Stone Born: The Vigiles Urbani Chronicles
  • The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1)
  • Undead Chaos (The Shifter Chronicles, #1)
  • Alexander's Army (Unicorne Files, #2)
  • The God Thief (The Master Thief Book 3)
  • Damoren (The Valducan Book 1)
  • Scattered, Smothered and Chunked (Bubba the Monster Hunter #1)
  • Child of the Flames: Book One of a Sword and Sorcery Saga (The Seven Signs 1)
  • Rustkiller (The Coilhunter Chronicles, #2)
  • The White Gold Score (Daniel Faust, #1.5)
  • Witches for Hire (Odds Jobs,  #1)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • Akiri: The Scepter of Xarbaal
  • The Andarian Affair (Stavin DragonBlessed, #3)
  • The Ghost Who Wanted Revenge (Haunting Danielle, #4)
  • Javelin Rain (Reawakening Trilogy #2)
  • Hoodoo
Writes a bit about goth princesses, outlaws and giant bats. And zombies.

Lives in London but would rather live in a castle and is a lot less scary in real life than his photo would suggest.

Shadow Magic (3 books)
  • Dream Magic (Shadow Magic, #2)
  • Burning Magic (Shadow Magic, #3)
“Sulking is not a magical power.” 1 likes