Start by marking “Shakespeare Stories” as Want to Read:
Shakespeare Stories

Shakespeare Stories

(Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories #1)

By skillfully weaving his own prose with Shakespeare's language, Leon Garfield has refashioned twelve of the Elizabethan playwright's most memorable dramas into stories, capturing all the richness of the characters, plot, mood, and setting. This format will delight both those who know the great dramatist's works and those who are new to them. Michael Foreman's dramatic col ...more
Published March 30th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Shakespeare Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shakespeare Stories

Start your review of Shakespeare Stories
M&A Ed
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
از میان داستان هایش به نظرم هملت و مکبث و اتللو زیباتر بود. هملت شاید به خاطر اینکه قبل از خواندن داستانش فیلمش را دیده بودند هرچند که اختلافات جزیی فیلم با متن داستان داشت ولی به هر حال فیلم خوبی بود و ارزش دیدن داشت.
درباره شکسپیر بزرگ هم که حرف و حدیث بسیار است و یکی از فیلم هایی که به این شبهات پرداخته فیلمی است با عنوان "ناشناس". در هر صورت قلم وی در پرداخت صحنه های عاشقانه و حسادت های آن بی نظیر است.
Anna Kļaviņa
12 Shakespeare plays retold as short stories.

The Prince was also reading; but there was a deeper likeness between Hamlet and Ophelia than such outward show. Each had been commanded by a father, one living, one dead, to play a part for which nature had not fashioned them: Ophelia for deceit, and Hamlet for murderous revenge.

Diana Kullman
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful book of Shakespeare Stories. I saved the two that I was unfamiliar with to read last and thoroughly enjoyed them (Cymbeline & Measure for Measure). I'm ready to get reacquainted with Shakespeare! ...more
Lisa
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
A collection of 12 of Shakespeare's more famous plays, retold and written in a modern, engaging style.
Claire
This is a great introduction to some of Shakespeare's best plays, retold as lyrical short stories with most of the original dialogue intact. Though it's advertised as being a Shakespeare collection for children, I think that if it were published today it would be classified and marketed as young adult and/or new adult (the word "whore" is used a lot in this book, which is nothing particularly shocking for teens or twenty-somethings, but certainly not appropriate for kids).
Aileen
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this and the second volume whilst visiting Shakespeare's birth place in Stratford. This one contains 12 of the most popular plays retold as short stories, including amongst others, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, Hamlet, Othello and The Tempest. All were easy to understand and quick to read through. Much easier in fact than all that time spent in school trying to get to grips with the original work!
Melissa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very useful abridged Shakespeare plays.
Sophie T
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally I am done! I read Shakespeare. I actually kinda enjoyed it. If you haven't enjoyed Shakespeare in the past but have wanted too, I would highly recommend giving this a shot.
Kirti
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic volume for middle-school students, each story between 25 - 35 pages long, but including all important events and all characters.
Liamb705
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 11-12-s
Extremely fanciful and interesting. Recommended for Macbeth lovers.
Stuart
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The first time I read anything by William Shakespeare was 9th grade. I didn't understand it. I don't think my teacher understood. And it didn't ignite a spark in me to read more of his works. I would like to say as my high school years passed I got progressively better, but it wasn't until I read Hamlet that I developed a true interest in Shakespeare. As I have grown older, I have read many different works on Shakespeare, including Catholic interpretations of his works and children's books that
Paper Clippers
How to introduce kids to Shakespeare—not just to the stories behind the plays but to the richness of his language and the depth of his characters. That’s the challenge that Leon Garfield, a wonderful children’s book writer, undertook to meet in his monumental and delightful Shakespeare Stories. Here are twenty-one of the Bard’s plays, presented in what is not a series of dry retellings, but rather a refashioning of the dramas as stories, in a way that remains true to the essential spirit of the ...more
♥Xeni♥
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classic, own
This book frightened me a youngster. I think it was mainly the very disturbing artwork, although Shakespeare himself did come up with some bizarre scenes!

Still, this book did contribute to my modern-day love of Shakespeare's works, something that I will always be grateful for. You can't really count yourself a great reader (in my eyes anyway) if you don't find yourself with an affinity for some of the prose and verse that this man (or whatever, conspiracies aside, for this review) had used/inven
Julie Pederson
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This vivid re-telling of Shakespeare's plays is full of descriptive language. It hits on the crucial points of the various stories and includes important dialog. Very enjoyable to read for an adult who isn't up for a re-read of all those plays we read in high school! (or those we never got to but should have). Children would enjoy it to and I think it would be helpful to read before the plays so as to get the gist of the story.
dale paul
Jul 12, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: A beginner
This book aids in one's first attempt at tilling the garden that is the mind for the arduous task of planting Shakespeare in the brain. The plays are broken down into detailed summaries that would make great bedtimes stories for young ones, save a few. It doesn't have all the plays, but most of the good ones. It does include snip-its from Shakespear's pen which is a plus.
Barbara Carder
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: insight
Want an introduction to the beauty of Shakespeare? Leon Garfield is the best: ex. from The Merchant of Venice: "In the watery city of Venice, where high-necked boats, like children's painted horses, nod and curtsey along the flowing streets, and the bright air is full of the winks and chinks of smiling money, there lived a merchant by the name of Antonio." ~~~~ exquisite.
Suzanne Vincent
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book and it's companion volume II are an excellent way to introduce young readers to Shakespeare. Read-alouds for 2 through 5 graders, and read-alones for 6th through 9th, they are well-written, include numerous direct quotes from the plays, follow the storylines faithfully, and are punctuated with some beautiful ink and watercolor illustrations.
Gwennie
Apr 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I bought this book with my allowance when I was in 6th grade...adn I still love it to this day. These are faithful retellings of Shakespeare's plays in story form...and they include much of the beautiful language. Reading these helped me learn to love the plays as I got older.
Leah
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book was my first introduction to Shakespeare. My dad read the stories to me when I was little. I love the illustrations.
Kathy
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Starting with King Lear, my daughter's gruesome choice. She's a rapt audience so far.
Tso William
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, shakespeare
Read this book with my student. A serviceable introduction to Shakespeare's plays with some beautiful rhyming writing.
Xandie
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre-film
While this is not a collection of Shakespeare's plays, it is the basic stories that Shakespeare wrote. It is a good book to give to children in order to introduce them to Shakespeare.
Elise
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Read frequently by Constance. She likes it every much.
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Great to catch up on all the plots. Not as exciting as the plays themselves though.
Holly
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shakespeare Stories is perfect for introducing the Bard to readers who are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with reading in play format.
Concordian Library

• پیامبر و دیوانه
  • There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom
  • Knulp
  • دا
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World, #3)
  • Rowan and the Zebak (Rowan of Rin, #4)
  • Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)
  • Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin, #3)
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • Moby-Dick
  • پر
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • Feminine Psychology
  • Just a Summer Romance
  • The Wreath (Kristin Lavransdatter, #1)
  • Burmese Days
Leon Garfield FRSL (14 July 1921 – 2 June 1996) was a British writer of fiction. He is best known for children's historical novels, though he also wrote for adults. He wrote more than thirty books and scripted Shakespeare: The Animated Tales for television.

Garfield attended Brighton Grammar School (1932-1938) and went on to study art at Regent Street Polytechnic, but his studies were interrupted f

Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories (2 books)
  • Shakespeare Stories II