Start by marking “The Cupcake Caper (Undercover Cat, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Cupcake Caper (Undercover Cat, #1)

The Cupcake Caper

(Undercover Cat #1)

Science is about solving puzzles. Why should solving a murder be any different? Dr. Bree Watson (aka Gabriella Catherine Mayfield-Watson) is comfortable solving chemistry problems. She isn't comfortable finding her boss dead and being a suspect in his poisoning. Now she's juggling: A sexy marketing manager-who may, or may not-be a contract killer. A handsome lead detective ...more
Published September 29th 2016 by Curtis Brown Unlimited

Start your review of The Cupcake Caper (Undercover Cat, #1)
Jean
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
A book titled The Cupcake Caper that cleverly uses the image of a cat for the “A” in “Caper”…How much cozier could a whodunit get, right? This clever little puzzler isn't always so comfy, however, as it involves some real danger to humans, as well as a few animals. I wasn’t hooked right from the get-go, as the first chapter registered a bit high on my snooze meter, but I quickly awoke when Bree, a Ph.D. for Chemical Industries Corporation, finds her boss dead and not surprisingly, becomes one of ...more
Carol
Fresh and unique!! Incorporates scientific research
data recording with investigating and solving a murder.
Dr Bree (Gabriella) Mayfield-Watson arrives at work.
When she attempts to swipe her pass card, she finds she
does not have it???
Going to a meeting with her boss, it is discovered he is
dead in his office. The detectives discover that Bree’s
card was used to sign into the building earlier than when
she says she arrived. Who used her card to sign into the
facility?
The death is found to be murder
Janet Robel

This was a fine read for me but I didn't love it. Bree Watson is a good amateur sleuth set on finding out who killed her boss. A quick and enjoyable mystery with no surprises here, so big mystery fans may look elsewhere. Overall, decent characters and I would possibly read the next book to see if the series gets better.
Linda
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable first book in the series. We meet Bree just as her orderly, scientific life gets turned upside down and she gets to employ her armchair detective skills. I'm not a science person but I enjoyed seeing how one works and it was an interesting take on solving a murder by using her skills and methods as a scientist (also fun seeing that in her baking!). I got to use my armchair detecting skills as I was able to come up with the cause of death right away but not the means and definitely ...more
Yvonne
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Dr. Bree Watson discovers her boss dead, she finds that she is the number one suspect. All evidence is pointing right in her direction with the police not looking at any other possible suspects. Although one of the detectives seems to like her and is open to the other possibilities, he doesn’t want Bree to put herself in danger by investigating. Of course that doesn’t stop Bree.

This is a bit different than the usual cozy mystery. Bree doesn’t just stick her nose where it doesn’t belong, she
Cat | Bookocraze
Sexy, humorous and brilliant! How could you go wrong with such a protagonist?

The Cupcake Caper is the first installment in the cozy mystery Undercover Cat series by Kelle Z. Riley, following Dr. Bree Watson.

Bree has earned a PhD in chemistry and is a full time chemist in a company. But, when one of her coworkers dies unexpectedly and all the clues seem to incriminate her, what is she going to do? She sure isn't willing to leave everything to luck or to the hot detective that is suspecting he
Rosemary K
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dr. Gabriella Mayfield-Watson is a dedicated employee at Chemical Industries Corporation. She wants to contribute to the company's success but she's tired of all the travel and the political games. Work is not a happy place. Things get even worse when Buckminster Davis is found dead in his office. Since Bree finds his body, she's a suspect in his murder. To save herself and make sure justice is served, she needs to find his killer. Bree is a smart woman. With her analytical mind, she will track ...more
Michelle Palmer
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I struggled after the election to get back into reading so I needed something relatively light to help me recover. This book ended up being just the ticket.

A scientist working at a chemical company arrives at work to discover her boss has been murdered. Several people believe she is the culprit since she has much to gain from his death so she decides she needs to investigate.

Two hot guys are showing an interest in her. One works in the marketing department of her company while the other is one
Vicki Spires
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As an avid reader of cozy mysteries I was delighted to discover author Kelle Z Riley's Undercover Cat series, which begins beautifully with book 1 - The Cupcake Caper. The book introduces us to the very intelligent, very likable Dr. Bree Mayfield-Watson. Bree is a talented scientist who appears to be on the fast track to great career success until her very unlikable boss turns up very dead one morning. Being the unfortunate finder of said unlikable boss puts Bree front and center in the investig ...more
Faouzia
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and the Author for this copy.

This was a very enjoyable and refreshing mystery. A brilliant chemist with great cooking/experimenting abilities, a dead boss, a mysterious sexy colleague, an irresistible detective and a grumpy cat. What more can we ask for! Oh yes, someone also wants her dead!
The mix was so good and the result was a very interesting story.
And once i started reading, i couldn't stop. I finished it in a day which is not very usual for m
FMSWarrior
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a cozy kinda gal. ALWAYS looking for the next cozy read and this one came across my path. I started reading it and was surprised to find a smart, intelligent business woman who I could relate to and started reading with gusto. Until my puppy decided he wanted to devour the book as well. Luckily I found another copy and was able to finish the story.

Bree is a scientist that has a way of approaching most of her life the way you she does her science....with facts, notes and analysis. From the la
Celia
Nov 14, 2016 added it
I really enjoyed The Cupcake Caper which is the first book in the Undercover Cat Series. Dr. Bree Mayfield-Watson works for the Chemical Industries Corporation (CIC) and one morning discovers her boss, Buckminster Davis, dead in his office. "Buckster" was not well-liked at CIC, so there is no shortage of suspects, and Bree is the main one as far as the police are concerned. Using her training as a scientist and analyst, she is determined to find the real killer and clear her name.

This book is f
Teresa Kander
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Fantastic beginning to a new series. It has a unique approach, in that the main character is a scientist. When she discovers her boss has been murdered and realizes she is the prime suspect, Bree uses scientific methods to find the real murderer.

Bree is a very enjoyable character. She is something of a stereotype, with her poor social skills, but that helps add a touch of humor to the story. The fact that she approaches even her cooking as a science experiment is also endearing. Some of her reci
Melissa Lowrie
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found The Cupcake Caper by Kelle Z. Riley be as refreshing as a lemon cupcake! Dr. Bree (Gabriella) Watson has been on the road for work and is running behind as she comes into the office on a Monday morning. To add to her chagrin, she is unable to locate her key card to get into the building. Her day continues to worse and she is scheduled to have a meeting with her boss and walks into his office to find him lying on the floor. It’s later determined that her boss was murdered and Bree can’t h ...more
Debbie Erickson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The Cupcake Caper, which is the first book in a great new cozy mystery series. The main character Dr. Bree Watson, a chemist, finds herself knee deep in a murder investigation when she discovers her boss dead in his office. Bree learns she is a suspect and knows that someone she works with has set her up. Bree is a scientist and instinctively uses her expertise in deductive reasoning and scientific observation to help figure out who the real killer is. While the book focuses on ...more
Connie Stein
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Cupcake Caper which is the first book in the Undercover Cat Series. Dr. Bree Mayfield-Watson works for a Chemical Company and discovers her boss, Buckminster Davis, dead in his office. There are no shortage of suspects, and Bree is the main suspect. She uses here scientific background and her love of problem solving to try to figure out the murderer.
This book is fast-paced book with a lot of twist and turns. I found her analytical approach to the murder interesting and loved that sh
Kelly
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to a new series. Lots of twists and turns, with a scientific twist as the main character is a scientist. Bree goes into her boss' office, only to find that he is dead. Using scientific deduction, Bree works on figuring out who the murderer is.

Additionally, the recipes in this book are written as if they are for science projects- listing raw materials and synthesis. As an Ohioan, I was amused to find a recipe for Buckeye Brownies in this book!

I enjoyed reading this book and
Carol Lee
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this mystery that had a different take on solving things. Dr. Bree Watcon meshes together her love of science and solving puzzles with the mystery that she faces of finding her boss dead. She finds herself juggling all the clues as well as the detective who is on the case. Along with this she has a menagerie of animals to take care of including a cranky cat and a goose chasing dog. I also enjoyed the recipes and the introduction to this undercover caper.
I received a free copy of this
Elaine
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good first book in a series. I liked that Bree is a scientist and is using her education and deductive reasoning to solve the crime. Bree is a very likable person. The story caught my attention and had me thinking about it when I was not able to be reading it. I did have a little trouble remember who was who in the first third of the book. But it went fine. Thanks for the fun read!
Katie-laine Thornton
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Cupcake Caper by Kelle Z. Riley. It was an entertaining, relatively light, easy read. I liked that it had a different spin on it with the science/research/baking elements. I enjoyed the characters and the plot was interesting with just enough twists. I'm looking forward to the next book by Kelle Z Riley!
Amanda Wilcox
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a slow start for me to get into this book even though I loved the very different ideas that made it. The protagonist is a chemist, not your typical cozy job title, which I loved right away! She's smart and loving and has the perfect analytical brain to do some sleuthing when her boss winds up dead. There were a bit too many characters for me to keep straight at the beginning but as some widdled down during the book I got the hang of it. In the end the story takes a turn and now I'm really ...more
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Cute & unique take on a cozy mystery! I really enjoyed this read. I found the plotlines and mystery fun and intriguing! I would recommend this novel to loved ones looking for a good cozy mystery! ...more
Judy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love how Bree thinks things through and how she writes them down. She knows her strengths and weakness and asks when she needs assistance. Of course, I loved that she rescued Sherlock and who knew that would be a key play on her part. I loved following the paths her mind took her on in figuring how just what had happened. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I won this book, but that doesn't affect my review of it.
Mandie
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Science is about solving puzzles. Why should solving a murder be any different? Dr Bree Watson is comfortable solving chemistry problems. She isn't comfortable finding her boss dead and being a suspect in his poisoning.
The Cupcake Caper (not easy to say) is the first in the Undercover Cat series by Kelle Z Riley. This is a cozy mystery book and a change from the style I have been reading a lot of lately but a welcome change of pace.
Bree is your typical scientist who loves solving problems, howe
Kimmie
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, 2016
I am a regular reader of several cozy mystery series already, so there has to be something potentially special in evidence to encourage me to start a new one. “The Cupcake Caper” by Kelle Z. Riley (Book 1 in the Undercover Cat Series) seemed to fit the bill, and I have to say that I’m glad I took the chance on this debut mystery!

What was it about this book made me pick up a new cozy series, you ask? The answer: intelligence, both on the part of the author and the main character, Dr. Bree Watson.
Allie Bock
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an eARC from Netgalley. Thank you to the publisher and author for gifting me their work. This is my honest opinion.
The Cupcake Caper

The Cupcake Caper is the first book in the Undercover Cat Series by Kelle Z Riley. Tank and I picked this book because of the cover. He likes cats, and I like cupcakes. What could be better if you put them together?

We weren’t disappointed! Well, I enjoyed the book. Tank was a little let down that the cat, Sherlock, didn’t play a bigger role in the story.
Rumeur
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This is the first book in the Undercover cat series by this author Of course, like most cozies, this cozy has a pet, which is the cat! Also has a dog that chases a goose which just adds more fun to the story., baking ( recipes) & romance! This is a romantic cozy mystery. I don't normally read romance books, but in small doses like this book contains, it helps make the book even more fun to read!

Dr Bree Watson ( Bree is short for Gabrielle, plus few more names between her first, & last name of Wa
Annie
Interesting characters and a good start for a series
*I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for posting my honest review*

This was a fun read and reminded me why I like cozy mysteries. I found the characters interesting and well-developed. The main character, Bree was likable and I was happy the author included enough details about her that her job as a scientist worked well with the plot while also coming through in her personality and reactions. The plot itself was belie
Christine Martin-resotko
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who would have thought that scientific research and murder investigations had so much in common? Kelle Z Riley did, and wrote a great book with a fun lead character, Dr. Bree Watson. Bree has a PhD in chemistry, a methodical method in experimenting with baking, and a logical approach to solving the murder of her boss. After finding her boss dead in his office, Bree decides that she needs to know who the murder is so that she can clear herself and make sure the rest of the staff is safe. Riley do ...more
Georgette
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Bree is a chemist who comes back from a company trip to find her boss dead from poison and herself as the main suspect. It's always made sense that a character would have a stake in solving the mystery quickly if they are a suspect, so this is the most obvious setup (plot-wise) ever.

It's interesting to have a protagonist who is a scientist (yay for women in STEM!) and perfectly capable of solving chemistry problems as long as it's not the romantic type. Nothing actually happened except maybe set
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dark Deeds (Mindhunters, #4)
  • Avenging Angel (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Only Fear (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Deadly Bonds (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Acceptable Risk (Mindhunters, #5)
  • End Game (Mindhunters, #6)
  • Christmas Stalking: A Mindhunters Holiday Novella
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • From Rags
  • Texas Two Step: The Prequel
  • Texas Two Step (Whispering Springs, Texas #1)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby (Lucky Harbor, #12.5)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • Echo of Silence (Psy-Changeling, #2.5)
  • Partners of Persuasion (Psy-Changeling, #11.5)
  • The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #4)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Maggie Mulgrew Mysteries #1)
  • Uncivil Defense (Maggie Sullivan mysteries Book 7)
Kelle Z. Riley, writer, speaker, global traveler, Ph.D. chemist and martial artist weaves bits of her real life into the Undercover Cat Series books. The series features a scientist-turned-sleuth who juggles mystery, romance and the search for a perfect cupcake recipe.

By day Kelle is a full time chemist working in water treatment with multiple U.S. patents. At night she turns into an author whose

Undercover Cat (2 books)
  • Shaken, Not Purred (Undercover Cat, #2)