Start by marking “Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection” as Want to Read:
Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection

Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us: A Johnny Wander Collection

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  347 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
In 2008, Ananth Hirsh and Yuko Ota launched the auto-bio webcomic Johnny Wander. Eight years, four cats, and three moves are chronicled in this gorgeous hardcover omnibus, which includes a foreword by Raina Telgemeier (Smile, Ghosts). Hirsh and Ota's charming reverie about new adulthood will appeal to fans of Kate Beaton, Bryan Lee O'Malley, and Jeffrey Brown along with an ...more
Published April 11th 2017 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us

David Schaafsma
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Warning: For those of you obsessed with cats, this is not primarily about cats!Culled from the Johnny Wander web comic by Ananth Hirsh and Yuko Ota. Not really a story, but just a huge collection. Assumes you know their (friend, roommate, co-creator, what else is not clear) relationship, and all of the other people that wander in and out of these mostly one pagers.

This is the territory of Bryan Lee O'Malley, Jeffrey Brown, and others making comics of their post-college years, moving from place
Hristina
This comic collection is so awesome, I couldn't put it down. I read it in one sitting.
I loved the art and the style that the anecdotes are presented in. It's all so personal, innocent and entertaining. I enjoyed the cat-related comics most of all, as a cat owner I connected to them the most.
I love this one. And I'm looking forward to checking out everything Ananth and Yuko have in store.
Rod Brown
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
These humor strips are too mild for their own good, never once drawing an audible laugh from me, just the occasional silent appreciation. Too often I felt I was witness to an in joke that would be hilarious to the creators and their friends. And though the strips are autobiographical, I felt the creators didn't actually share that much of themselves. I mean, for the longest time while reading I wasn't even sure if the the creators were romantically involved or just roommates or how many of the o ...more
Raina
I was hoping this would have a little more content that was new to me.
But that's a personal problem - I guess I'm a little bit of a Johnny Wander fangirl.

I love the aesthetic and tone of Ananth and Yuko's work - they're quirky, honest, a little snarky. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the next long-form work they put out.
Crystal
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A friend gifted this to me for the holidays. I wasn't previously familiar with Johnny Wander, but I loved this comic collection! Funny, cute, relatable slice of life style.
Dov Zeller
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
there's nothing spectacular about this book and at first, I was pretty bored and just had the sensation I was missing a lot of in-jokes or references somehow. I wasn't deeply drawn to any of the individual comics and at the same time, I liked the people/characters and the sweet mundane-ness and didn't want to put the book down.

Eventually the easy imperfect affection between lovers and friends, with intermittent full-on wonderful humor captivated me and by the end I was kind of sad it was over.
Maggie Gordon
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us is a collection of a long-running slice-of-life webcomic. It's cute with strong, expressive art, but don't let the title fool you. This is not actually about cats! Sure, there are a few comics about them, but mostly this is a comic about humans. Once I got over my disappointment, I enjoyed this behemoth of a book, but curtail your expectations of furry friends. This is the story of some twenty-somethings who slowly grow up. Except these are mostly silly one-shots ...more
Jason
I hadn't heard of this webcomic before I got a preview copy from Oni yesterday. This was wonderful! Hirsh and Ota find humor in everyday life and observations about life. The art is perfectly suited for the content. Reminiscent of Beaton's work as well as Kochalka's comics diaries. It's a quick read but you'll want to read it again.
Didi
The ink colors initially bugged me but after more than halfway through it, I kinda got used to it and no longer notice the colours. Based on the title, I thought it was a graphic novels of cats but it's of a couple and their cat.
Kimber
This is a trimmed down version of my review, to view the full review visit The Book Ramble.

I received a copy of this book from Diamond Book Distributors on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This collection of comics follows the lives of Yuko Ota, Ananth Hirsh, and their roommates as they move to a new house and get new pets. Culminating in Hirsh and Ota’s engagement. Of course there’s also cats. I enjoyed this collection a lot, it felt kind of like a Lucy Knisley book a little, though i
Ósk Bat
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this on a whim one weird+sad night out with with a friend at Dragon's Lair after getting more tipsy that one would expect at Conan's Pizza and having never heard of Johnny Wander, I am now feeling deprived that it took me so long to discover this gem.

Because its a webcomic anthology it comes in pretty bite sized digestible moments so you can easily pick it up and put it back down at leisure. The comics are available online as well but if you're prone to "I don't want to look at a fck
Alexandra  Urbina
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me imagino que si los latinos fueramos a vivir solos a los 20 con los amigos, algo así sería mi vida, como la de este libro: viviendo con gente nerd, comprando comida chatarra y libros.

No me suelen gustar las cosas autobiograficas, pero este libro se me hizo muy entretenido de leer y tiene muchos detalles explicativos que le suman, como por ejemplo la protagonista mostrando su colección de tazas.
Jenna
Cute drawing style and I like being able to see its evolution in this collection. I didn’t care for the pointillism aspect of coloring, as it made everyone look spotty / smudged. Enjoyable characters, but it was a bit confusing at times how they leapt in and our of the main pair. A lot of the jokes also felt like I was missing something, but were still amusing. Yes, there were many adorable cats, but not enough so to warrant this book’s title.
elyse
so charming and funny! those confusing and strange and fun days after college told in vignettes that made me laugh out loud! i felt like i was friends with the authors, their friends and their kitties by the end of the book!
Heydi Smith
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skip-it
This book was very mild and pretty boring. There are very few cat scenes in this book. I feel strongly this book should be renamed to anything that doesn’t include the word cat.
Chitra
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us is a comic book of the misadventures of Ananth Hrish and Yuko Ota, friends, roommates an co-authors of the webcomic Johnny Wander. This graphic novel chronicles moments in their lives that they share with us because it’s fun, hilarious, or just because they felt like it.

I really enjoyed this collection of adorable moments. It’s cute and quirky and I honestly don’t know what to say about a collection I enjoyed but one that isn’t necessarily serious. Let’s talk ab
Siina
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sigh. This Johnny Wander Collection comic isn't bad per se, but it's massive and without a direction. I don't know why I end up reading stuff like this, since these are hardly ever good unless you're a fan (for whatever reason). Again, the comic could work in a blog form, but a collection of unrelated things and boring occurrences aren't great and this comic is extremely long too. Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us is autobiographical comic about Hirsh and Ota, who make comics and live together. I ...more
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you like reading about other people's lives in comic book form? There are so many to choose from, that are out there. Some are depressing. Some are funny. And some you feel as though they looked in your window and saw the things that you did, and copied them.

But, rather than explaining the cartoons, I am just going to give you a sample, of some of my favorites, so you can get a taste of them.

And yes, some of the ones I best relate to have cats in them. :)

Thanks to Netgalley for making this bo
Tamara✨
I didn't really know what to expect going into this, I mean, I only requested to review it from NetGalley because it looked amusing and easy to read...!! I had no idea that this had been a Kickstarter project by Hirsh and Ota of their webcomic. That being said, I really didn't need to know anything going into it. The way they write and draw, and just really the humour of it all really appealed to me all the same. I feel like it'd be perfect for someone in the 20s to read, it has enough of that I ...more
Holly
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Diamond & Oni Press for the ARC of this glorious collection of wonderful comic art and humor.

I adore this series. Published through Yuko and Ananth's website over the past several years, it is full of the most amazing moments. While the stories contained in the book are personal, they are all easy to identify with, from the perils of early adulthood to cat ownership to broken heaters. I highly recommend picking up this collection and giving these two rad creators some of your hard
Stephanie Johnson
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Prior to reading this comic collection I wasn't familiar with the Johnny Wander comics. The collection was broken up into different time periods of Ananth and Yuko's life and had a different color for each which was a great way to distinguish them. I didn't want to put this down once I started and this is due to how relatable and humorous the different comics were. There is also the added bonus of some recipes throughout!
Julia
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
**Thanks to the publisher for a free ARC via netgalley**

This is a quirky and fun little slice-of-life autobiographical comic compilation. It does not have a story line, but gives the reader glimpses into the life of the author/comic artist. A bit like those 4 panel comics you tend to find in Japanese Manga.

I didn't know the artist or author before, but apparently this was a webcomic first. You don't need any background information, though - I still enjoyed it very much.
Jana
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I received a free copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy this at all. While I liked the art, I felt like there was nothing that could even remotely be called a plot and it just seemed like every page was just a situation. Therefore, I didn't like it.
Harker
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I saw this as part of an advert on my phone and as it was so small, I did not see that it was going to be the hardcover edition of an established webcomic. To be honest, I thought it was a comic about cats who were, indeed, more famous than their humans. I thought that premise sounded hilarious. When I read the introduction by Raina Telgemeier and the first few dozen pages, I realized I was wron
Dani (The Pluviophile Writer)
An internet meme meets a romantic comedy, with cats. And it’s everything you could have hoped for.

Review at the Pluviophile Reader: http://bit.ly/2fE4UAF

4/5 stars.
ebook, 416 pages.
Read from November 02 to 03, 2016.

As I was perusing through the available titles on Netgalley I stopped at this colorful cover and read the title. That was enough for me to request to read it. It’s been a long while since I have had the pleasure of reading a graphic novel so it’s good to read one of quality at our chan
Matisse
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I both liked and disliked the way these comics are arranged. On the one hand, you just get snippets of the artists' lives, and the individual moments are amusing. At the same time, because the comics are so vague as to their context, it makes it hard to get to know Anath and Yuko, much less the surrounding characters. The intro by Raina Telgemeier mentions this: there's a challenge in making your life comedic and relatable, while not giving away any TMI stuff. I think this collection was a bit t ...more
V Mignon
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cam, comics
More 3.5 than 4.

Yuko Ota and Ananth Hirsch's "Our Cats Are More Famous Than Us" reminded me of the comics I would read in my early twenties, short bits that were often a reflection of the day and not necessarily existing for humor or commentary. Some of the comics I could relate to, some not. But I didn't mind that.

Of course, the reason why I checked the book out in the first place was for cats. And cats do not dissapoint. I loved every comic about Mika, Gonta, Rook, and Cricket. But mostly Roo
Lightlybow
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ananth and Yuko's comic Johnny Wander has been a huge influence on my life and I'm so happy to be able to financially support them. This slice-of-life comic takes joy in the silly things people do and the interesting ways we contrast against each other. The printed book is gorgeous, I know it's a bit expensive but I'd say the hardcover is worth every penny. The cover is bright, the end page patterns are delightful, and the comic linework is printed in various colors, which was a pleasant surpris ...more
Amber
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable and relate-able read. Found myself laughing and sharing with others my favorite comics from the book. Love the art style and all the antics the characters find themselves getting into, or just their normal day which is even enjoyable to read while written with witty remarks.

Before reading one should know that the comics aren't story driven and are instead a series of comics that take up a page or two, enjoyable nonetheless.
Bridget
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever read something that you thought: "Man, I wish I knew these people! We'd probably be great friends." This was that for me. Acanthi and Yoko even lived in my hometown when they attended college. I kept showing portions to my husband, saying: "Hey, read this: It's just like us!" Sometimes, you read to escape; I tend to read to understand human nature or to read something that tells me: "Even though it often doesn't feel like it, there are others like you."

Thanks Ananth and Yoko!

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Dark Alliance: The CIA, the Contras, and the Crack Cocaine Explosion
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Denial [Movie Tie-in]: Holocaust History on Trial
    $11.99 $1.99
  • A Very English Scandal: Sex, Lies, and a Murder Plot at the Heart of the Establishment
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Call the Midwife: Farewell to the East End
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System
    $9.99 $3.99
  • All Creatures Great and Small  (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race
  • Cheaper by the Dozen