Start by marking “The Revolution from Rosinante (Rosinante, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Revolution from Rosinante (Rosinante, #1)

The Revolution from Rosinante

(Rosinante #1)

THE CAMPBELL AWARD WINNING NOVEL. The reluctant revolutionary! Charles Cantrell thought he had enough headaches as project manager of a crew building a habitat on the asteroid, Rosinante. Then some dunderheaded politician back on Earth shipped several thousand perfectly innocent political prisoners to Rosinante to escape embarrassment. Suddenly, Charles found the habitat t ...more
Published February 12th 1981 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Revolution from Rosinante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Revolution from Rosinante

Start your review of The Revolution from Rosinante (Rosinante, #1)
Sean O'Hara
So. It's come to this. A science fiction novel published in my lifetime feels as antiquated as a Golden Age pulp story.

The problem isn't the lack of Internet or portable computers. Lots of authors missed those.

No, what makes this feel old fashioned is the technology that does exist in it. Microfilm? Slide projectors? Even in the '80s these were becoming antiquated. It feels like the setting is one step removed from punch cards and vacuum tubes.
Raja99
Nov 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Why I Reread This Book: Fictionwise released non-DRMed ebooks of this series a little while back, and I remembered the book fondly. I also found my paper copy to vet it against.

First a complaint: The Fictionwise ebook is bad--It's got formatting errors on every page, and more typos than is customary even nowadays. The worst problem I noticed is that half the first page from my paper copy is simply missing. At least it's easy to fix it.

I've lived most of my life in my home town, but we spent a co
Victoria Gaile
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Things I liked:
The political and economic considerations of life on a worldlet. The Corporate persons. The discussions of labor and management. The details of the worldlet. The varieties of war. The project-manager protagonist.

Things I really, really didn't like:
The mail-order brides. (view spoiler) The simultaneous "exaltation" of sex-for-p
Bear Peters
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Engineering, big engineering, and the right people in the right place, trump political turmoil, economic collapse, and sinister political agendas. Sound familiar? Add in a just a smidgen of demented Texas politics. And this trilogy will make you believe that normal people with a dream can win out in the end! Last but by no means least add Independence, big science, tons of ill-gotten booty, and the Imperial Japanese Navy! What more can you ask of a feel-good story for our times.
William Lowell
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
It takes a while to get going but has a satisfying resolution.
Scott Nieradka
Jul 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crap-sci-fi
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I enjoyed the setup, which was all corporate misbehavior that reminded me of the late, lamented Kage Baker, despite some ham-handed infodumps about the construction of the space station. Alas, Gilliland has nothing like Baker's deft plotting, nor her ear for other cultures. Around the halfway point, things really went off the rails. The portrayal of the Texan refugees and the Korean women became seriously unpleasant. There's a bit with the AI seducing a frigid woman to loosen her up th ...more
Joel Carlin
The settings are unique - a different conception of a space colony, a North America broken into different competing countries of various levels of instability. The people (incl. sentient computers) were believable but could have used more development. It's greatest feature was its realism. I normally enjoy some realistic, 'hard science' scifi, but this novel is more 'hard politics.' If you suspend disbelief to accept artificial intelligence, deep space colonies, a fragmented US&Mexico, then the ...more
Kathryn
Oct 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science-fiction
I read twenty pages, and that was more than enough.

To begin with, a book that proclaims FIRST TIME IN PRINT in huge letters on the back cover probably doesn’t have much else going for it.

Second, a book that starts with diagrams of a space mirror is almost certainly written by someone who doesn’t have a real good grasp of what people like to read for fun.

Third, who the hell drafts memos with comments like “Par[agraph]. 1. Medium flowery expressions of esteem”? And don’t say engineers. We skip rig
Angie
Mar 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mistakes
I made it 45 regrettable pages in hopes that the over-bearing racism and sexism would abate. I survived the boring operations lecture on bottle necks and process flow. I made it past countless poorly crafted, overly long sentences. I gave up at the villification of lesbianism and promotion of prison rape. Save yourself.
John
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1984 grade B-

Series book R1
Frank
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Triumphant, Heinlein-esque tale of libertarian capitalism, while insulting, slandering and tricking anyone outside the manager-class.
Leather

• The Jewish Brigade, Vol. 1: Vigilante
  • Mother Land
  • Thinner
  • Wink
  • Demon Blade (Demon Blade, #1)
  • Death at the Lighthouse: A Grand Island Riddle
  • Who Fears Death (Who Fears Death, #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • The Winter Fortress: The Epic Mission to Sabotage Hitler’s Atomic Bomb
  • Roadwork
  • Rage
  • A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Alexis Arnaldus Gilliland (born August 10, 1931 in Bangor, Maine) is an American science fiction writer and cartoonist. He resides in Arlington, Virginia.

Gilliland won the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 1982, notably beating David Brin and Michael Swanwick for the honor. Gilliland also won four Hugo Awards for Best Fan Artist (1980, 1983, 1984, 1985), the Rotsler Award (Lifetime Ach

Rosinante (3 books)
  • Long Shot for Rosinante (Rosinante, #2)
  • Pirates of Rosinante (Rosinante, #3)