Start by marking “High Output Management” as Want to Read:
High Output Management

High Output Management

The essential skill of creating and maintaining new businesses—the art of the entrepreneur—can be summed up in a single word: managing. In High Output Management, Andrew S. Grove, former chairman and CEO (and employee number three) of Intel, shares his perspective on how to build and run a company. Born of Grove’s experiences at one of America’s leading technology companie ...more
Published August 29th 1995 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about High Output Management, please sign up.
Junereth do you own it? this site isn't for reading books, it's more like a database

Start your review of High Output Management
Daniel
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read this book for a book club at work. I wasn’t exactly thrilled that a management book was chosen as our next book, especially since I am not a manager myself. However, I did see that High Output Management had received rave reviews here on Goodreads. I also saw an article from the Washington Post highlighting this book becoming a cult classic in Silicon Valley with plenty of recommendations from top CEOs. And the recently updated edition has a foreword by Ben Horowitz, who apparently has be ...more
Muhammad Arrabi
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of the BEST Business Books one must read. And it's the best "Management to Engineers" book I can think of.
This book is listed on Quora as the best people management book one can read. It has been recommended by so many top VCs there.

Andrew Grove is the legendary CEO of Intel. Yet, his background is scientific research. This book is one of the best and concise guides on how to be an excellent manager (from managing a small team, all the way to a whole company).

His language
Max Lybbert
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In some circles, Grove has as bad a reputation as Bill Gates. And while I can't comment on his other books (e.g., Only the Paranoid Survive), this book doesn't give that impression.

Grove's management philosophy is well developed, I think more useful than Rudy Giuliani's (Leadership), and still valid thirty years after the book was originally published. Additionally, Grove gives useful advice to people who aren't managers.

Shortly before reading this book, I read T.J. Rodgers' No Excuses Managemen
posthuman
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, favorites
Intel co-founder Andy Grove was a brilliant CEO and a mediocre writer. His breakout business book of 1983 is no breezy beach read. A good deal of the material covered in High Output Management feels dated and his prose is dry as sand and crackers. But there are enough gems in here that it's well worth the read if you work in a managing role in a large organization (or a small organization that is growing).
José Luis
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a bestseller that survives through time, although it was first published in 1983 and since then management has changed a lot and has already incorporated the ideas the book spreads. But it is invaluable because Andrew Grove tells the reader his lessons learned as a effective manager at Intel. The book is for sure a compact course in Management, driven to managers focused on productivity and team work. I would read it again and again, no doubt about that. Highly recommended if you want to t ...more
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Most of it felt more appropriate for a manufacturing company than today's world, but the fundamentals still resonated.
Bozhidar
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not in the habit of writing book reviews (who has time for all of the reviews we have to write these days, anyways?), but I feel like this book deserves a few words.

It's simply phenomenal! Sure, it's a bit dated (it was written originally in the 80s and slightly updated in the 90s), but most of the content in it is timeless. The foundational ideas about running a business, building a team, managing a team, etc transcend both time and industries. The only thing that really changes seems to be
Natalie
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read it because of its reputation. Immediately began reading it again upon finishing it because it is THAT good. So much wisdom and practical advice, delivered with straight shooting engineer style. stop reading this and go read the book!
Simon Eskildsen
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread
This is the best book I've read on leadership, building organizations and spending your time on the most important tasks for your team.
Jacek Bartczak
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is hard to rate this book - it was published 35 years ago so many tips probably already spread out via newer books, articles, podcasts and so on. Even I was (and I am) supervised accordingly to those rules so they weren't nothing new for me.

Grove's tips help approach complex problems with simple steps which once used systematically will optimize how a company works and its employees will feel understood. On the hand those rules sound simple, on the other, I know how easily they can be forgot
Eduards Sizovs
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Manager's output = output of the organization under his/her influence. I enjoyed the scientific approach described in this book – you can and should measure things. Even training should have a measurable outcome. 🎓
Vasco
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Would rate 6/5 if possible.
Gaurav Mathur
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Key Ideas:

- Output of a Manager is the output of everyone he influences. He can leverage the output by: doing things faster, doing them better

- Training is a high-leverage activity, and responsibility of the manager - it must happen in-house

- Goals should always be paired - into quantity and quality goals - both keep a check on each other

- Hiring is a very tough but necessary job and you can never be sure about it

- Information gathering is the basis of a manager’s tasks - which, like a housewife
Sam Stagg
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I can see why this book is so popular with left-brain-dominant CEOs in Silicon Valley. Like many management books it promises to give you the recipe for the secret sauce of successful growing businesses. Unlike many, it does actually give you some of the ingredients, though not the whole recipe.

The book is short, to the point, and full of real, actionable things you can do as a manager. Everything is presented with a minimum dose of fuss and a maximum dose of reality. Ultimately, it's a handboo
Nikolay
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-re-read
Andy Grove was the CEO of a Intel – a large corporation both doing rocket-science-level research and running manufacturing plants. The advice in the book somehow had to fit both scenarios. I am managing a small engineering team and I know I found it super-useful. Starting with the surprisingly clear definition of a manager’s output (“output of the organizational units under her or his supervision or influence”) to the more tactical ideas how to organize a company’s departments or what’s a good p ...more
David
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took a while to read, not because it wasn't good, but because it was almost too good. It is chock full of stuff to think about as a manager. It read really densely. I'd read a chapter or two, think about it, try some stuff out, then pick up again and read another few chapters. This definitely has the feel of a book I'll return to in another few years and learn some new stuff and gather new insights.
Eugene
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-to-read
great book dedicated to the management. the author covers large variety of things from the planning and managing the time to hiring and training employees. There a lot of ready to use samples from real life cases (with numbers) and to sample performance reviews. the author describes not just things worked for him and but what kind of things are not working.
Ryan
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the classic books on management

Strongly recommend this to anyone in management (either of other people or as a professional in charge of a function). Andy a Grove was truly one of the great business leaders. The "homework" at the end of the book is a reasonable assignment for any new manager.
Oleh
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5/5 That is probably the best book I've read on management. It's short and to the point. It's written in 1990, but it holds amazingly well. This stresses the quality of content even further.

A highly recommended read.
Lech Kaniuk
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the absolutely best books about management I've read. It's a must read for all managers and business founders!
Adam Wiggins
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, management
Short, powerful work on the art of classic command-and-control management. Put it alongside Jack Welch's "Winning" and Drucker's "Management" on your bookshelf.
Justas Šaltinis
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best management books despite being written in 1995.
Daeus
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This book explained quite a few management concepts I have seen at work but never really understood the true purpose of. It also enhanced my understanding of the basics such as 1 on 1s, promotions, writing reports, meetings, the role of middle managers, etc. It's really about organizational and policy choices compared to their alternatives (although the focus is mostly on a factory/assembly line type company structure). I found the analogies and charts particularly helpful (ex. the breakfast fac ...more
Sebastian Gebski
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was deliberately postponing the reading of Andy Grove's "High Output Mgmt" (despite all recommendations) - what could I learn about mgmt from the book published in 1983, right-o?
When I was about half-way through, I've already realised that - damn, I should have read it 10 yrs ago.

It is absolutely essential. And very far from being outdated (yes, in times of Peopleware, Management 3.0, etc. - all the trends I am familiar with & I totally agree with).

It's hard to list all the particular thoughts
Joseph Pepe
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a timeless management book that is highly useful for anyone who manages a team, and clearly has stood the test of time. At times I found the book too technical, where it focused much on manufacturing processes / throughput, etc - but I felt you can skim certain sections and dig in on more relevant chapters. Grove is highly accomplished and has spent many years thinking about optimal management. It is a book I often hear recommended by many business leaders in Silicon Valley and beyond. A ...more
Arjun Subramanian
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review - While the metaphors and the organizational structure of Intel described in the book are dated, the underlying wisdom imparted are still quite relevant. I found the core ideas in the book valuable - what is the output of manager? How do you spend your time? how do you plan your work? how do teams work? How do you motivate the people on your team?

My Book Notes

The book in three sentences

Your output is the sum of your team’s output and the output of any neighboring groups you can inf
Venkatesh-Prasad
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible and accessible source of management knowledge!!!

I have always skirted management books; may be, cos' I picked the wrong ones in the past. I picked this on based on a recent recommendation I saw on Twitter; yes, Twitter can be useful :)

And, I loved it for two reasons. First, it confirmed what I have observed of good managers and many of my own managerial practices. Second and most importantly, it is a no-nonsense, no-fluff, easy-to-read, succinct (~230 pages), and accessible book about
Oliver Pecha
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This book has 4 sections, I only really learned from the last one "The Players", which focuses on soft skills.

The first ones follow two much on author's thesis that everything has an analogy to output and manufacturing process, and I wasn't convinced on how that transfers to people management in ever-changing times.

Published almost 40 years ago... It is... old! But managing people has not radically changed, perhaps the z and millennial generation is less prompt to process and authority, which s
Mariam
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for aspiring managers, and I’m sure seasoned supervisors will find sound advice as well.
I started reading the book when I had minimal experience. Overall, I found the book easy to follow and very practical. There are many “aha, so that’s how it’s done“ moments that seem obvious after reading.
At the end there is a number of “exercises” or challenges, which aim to improve various areas of managerial skills.
Varun Torka
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves it's fame. I had to take a pause after every page of this book to digest the dense subject matter and I could immediately relate each concept to my own organisation & previous organisations. I feel it has greatly helped me in understanding my own role better. And I would go as far as to say this should be required reading for all middle managers so they understand what they are meant to do. ...more
ComplyAdvantage: High Output Management 1 7 Jul 23, 2018 04:28AM

• The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Business Model Generation
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
Andrew Stephen ("Andy") Grove (born 2 September 1936), is a Hungarian-born American businessman, engineer, and author. He is a science pioneer in the semiconductor industry. He escaped from Communist-controlled Hungary at the age of 20 and moved to the United States where he finished his education. He later became CEO of Intel Corporation and helped transform the company into the world's largest m ...more

News & Interviews

“Remember too that your time is your one finite resource, and when you say “yes” to one thing you are inevitably saying “no” to another.” 12 likes
“The absolute truth is that if you don’t know what you want, you won’t get it.” 6 likes