Start by marking “The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)” as Want to Read:
The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)

The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  22,794 ratings  ·  1,629 reviews
A New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestseller

In this iconic bestseller, popular business blogger and bestselling author Seth Godin proves that winners are really just the best quitters. Godin shows that winners quit fast, quit often, and quit without guilt--until they commit to beating the right Dip.

Every new project (or job, or hobby, or company) starts out f
Published May 10th 2007 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2007)

·  22,794 ratings  ·  1,629 reviews

Start your review of The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
Liaken
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a short book. Despite being short, it is very repetitive. It also advocates the philosophy that nothing is worth doing if you're not going to be #1, which is a philosophy I disagree with. However, I did find the basic concepts of this book to be interesting, even helpful. So, here's the nutshell of the book, in the book's own words. Now you don't have to read it. :-)

Excerpts from The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit by Seth Godin

Most of the time, we de
Daniel
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
It's all pretty obvious, but I saw a copy of this 80-page book lying around at work and figured that I could use something to read in the gym. The main point doesn't even need that much space to get across: persistence is overrated; if one doesn't expect long-term success in something (be it a career, relationship, or whatever), it's better to quit immediately than stick with it. The Dip is the hard slog between being barely competent at something ("beginner's luck" is the phrase Godin uses) and ...more
Anu
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Read the book in an hour while waiting out rush hour traffic at the bookstore. While it wasn't a complete waste of time for me (I actually needed to hear some of the things Godin says in the book), the book definitely repeats the same message over and over again, sometimes using the exact same words. There were a few points I thought worth noting, and I jotted them down on a small napkin. If you're interested in this book, I suggest you save your time and read my napkin instead :).
WhatIReallyRead
I'll save you the bother of reading this book. His whole point is this:

Only do the things you're going to be the best in the world at. If you won't be the best in the world at them - quit right now (if you've already started) or don't start (if you haven't yet).

Which is laughable for a number of reasons.

From the point where you start something to the point when you make an accomplishment a whole bunch of things happens:

- the world changes (the market, the economy, the demand/yet)./>
Yaz
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Notes I took:

The Dip.

- "Zipf's law"
(1st place and 2nd place aren't exactly very close in winnings)

• Being the very best matters
- since everyone is looking for the very best, the reward for it is enormous!
- only a few spots up there..

• Each individual's "best in the world" is different depending on factors that matter to them.
- "Best" is subjective
- don't need to be the best at everything! Pick the RIGHT thing and d
Gene Babon
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: strategy
I'm a fan of simple and this book is simple. The message is clear:

Being the Best in the World is Seriously Underrated

The Dip refers to "the long slog between starting and mastery." Extraordinary benefits accrue to the tiny minority who are able to get through The Dip by persisting longer than most.

To be the best at anything you have to quit. You have to quit the right stuff at the right time. Quit the Cul-de-Sacs of life -- those dead ends are aren't likely to take you anywhere./>Being
Fotooh Jarkas
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fotooh by: Ahmad Yazji
I loved it!

It's about how not to talk yourself into quitting your (work ,relationship, project, ..etc) just cuz it hurts or cuz you can't deal with the stress of the moment

and taking the Quit as an intelligent strategic decision to give up the called dead-end situations, something with poor long-term potentials.

The main point was awesome, but 85 pages were just too much !
Foad Ansari
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I get two important lesson from this small but amazing book.
firstly: we should have exit plan for our business for example determine the exit time during my job and answer to this questions: in which situation i have to leave my job?
secondly: if you can not be great and famous or popular in wide market try to find a Niche Market and be the first one in small market.
after all : highly recommended
Michelle
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was a disappointing read with only two points - either stick with it if you think you'll be successful or quit and do something else that you will be successful at.
Chris Burd
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Godin and was looking forward to reading this book. I found quickly, however, I fundamentally disagree with much of his reasoning. I think that knowing when to quit - and not to sink time and money into something that isn't profitable - is an important lesson, and I was hoping to learn his thoughts on how to identify the right time to quit. Instead, his advice is to quit if you don't think that you can be the very best - because anything less is not worthwh ...more
Beth Melillo
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
The quickest lil pamphlet ever.

Don't agree with the stark division between figurative winners and losers. Don't agree that going on a "quest" to be the best will always result in being the best (even if you follow all the rest of his advice). Don't agree with the fact that grit and trying hard will change everything (although he doesn't quite go that far... only implies it.) Certainly don't agree that there's only one way to see "the best." Don't agree that being the best means that you must be
Yousif Al Zeera
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: yz, nonfiction
A short book (80 pages) that addresses a crucial question: when to quit? Quitting may seem a "shame" thing to do but not always. In fact, quitting is often a very strategic choice. Although the book is just 80 pages, it should be less I believe as the central core idea was repeated several times but, nonetheless, the book is still short so you won't get frustrated. Overall, a good light read. Required time: 2-3 hours.
Zheen
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a little book. Straightforward sentences without going into too much detail. It's a short, good read and I would recommend it to anyone to get a sense of what to pursue and what to let go. I only wish it was backed by studies as other books of this sort usually are. I may be wrong but I feel like Godin didn't put his best effort into it.
Michael Wilson
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Seth Godin is a marketing demi-god. And he knows a thing or two about everything else as well. He is one of those rare individuals who deserves the title of visionary. His blog at http://sethgodin.typepad.com/ is a must read if you are in the workplace as an owner, manager or cubicle grunt.

And he knows what’s best for this ADD brain of mine. Keep it short (a mere 96 small pages with big print) and keep it focused. The core idea the entire book centers around one dilemma that each of us has faced in our lives at
Chad Warner
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs
Recommended to Chad by: TechNibble
Godin gives motivational and practical advice about the benefits of strategic quitting. He says that “we fail when we get distracted by tasks we don’t have the guts to quit.” He tells how to choose the right tasks to begin, then how to push through obstacles (the Dip) to reach success. This was just the book for me since I’m about a month away from going full-time with my own web design business, OptimWise. The book is short and concise; you can read it in a day.

Godin summarizes the book succinctly
John
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I could be Seth Godin if I wanted to be. Check it out: "When you're sitting in a meeting, don't be a wallflower; be the wall paint." .. or let's see .. "Don't assume that you'll be excellent, be the assumption and excellence will find you." Here's another: "If all you strive for is greatness, then all you'll be great at is striving!"

There was a time when I liked this guy, but now I just think he's a shit-knuckle.
Hristian Trendafilov
Overall good despite being repetitive. Could have used a bit more examples or different structure and it kind of repeata "focus on what's important" and "persist" in order to "reap rewards". Or maybe that's just a result of listening rather reading the book. Nonetheless I enjoyed it and find it useful. It's already helped me.

Disorganised notes:
Be the best in your "world" in your market. No more mass market. But there are micro markets in which you can become the best. Being the best means
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
3.5/5 stars

Instagram | youtube

discussed on my wrap up

Interesting.
Leah Nadeau
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was going to be about buying the dip at the stock market lol but it’s actually about recovering after failures and picking yourself up and keep persisting through it when it makes sense. Short and to the point. Here’s some nice take aways:
- Strive to be the best in your field or your industry or your work place etc
- “...it’s typical for #1 to get ten times the benefit of #10, and a hundred times the benefit of #100 - Zipf’s law “Winners win big because the marketplace
Daniel Clausen
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this book in the bookstore yesterday, and read the entire thing nearly in one sitting. For a long time before I read this book, I was a fan of Seth Godin's blog and his book Permission Marketing.

The basis of the book is that on the path to great success there will always be a "dip," a rough patch that seperates those who really want to accomplish greatness from those who do not. The key question you have to ask yourself is whether you are ready to be either number 1 or number
Kevin Orth
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Source Energy grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Whenever we start something new there is a period of time when our initial inspiration, aspiration, and intention runs out of stream. We have a choice to make at that point. Do we call it good and just settle into the low energy, malaise of the current situation? Do we go against the grain and continue climbing and become a super star among t
Gisela Hausmann
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It’s an old question, “Should you follow Edison’s credo and try one more time or give up?”

Author Seth Godin offers a new approach; he calls on dealing with “the dip”.

“…The dip is the long slog between starting and mastery. A long slog that’s actually a shortcut, because it gets you where you want to go faster than any other path…”

In his book the author offers methods to evaluate “the dip”, which are ways to decide whether the dip offers insight that it is time to quit or carry on.
Mohammad Saadeh
"If it’s not going to put a dent in the world, quit. Right now. Quit and use that void to find the energy to assault the Dip that matters."
This book is for everyone who wants to be number one in the world in his field, for everyone who wants to succeed, for everyone who is ready to cope the pain.
This book really teaches you when to quit and when to stick.
This book is worth 5 stars if it was not concentrating only on the sales field, I hoped that the author concentrated also on
Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read.
The message be muddled.

A book not for the weak of heart. Quit. Quit, and do it now.

The book claims if you're not going to be the best in the world at your particular chosen endeavor - quit.

Brutal advice, that needs to be taken with a bucket of salt, but not completely ignored.

As someone more profound than I once pontificated "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"

There's much clutter in our lives and a cull of pointless endeavors could be the medic
Anton
Very powerful. Read it today

This is a deceptively short book with the equally deceptively simple premise... But the wisdom of the advice it offers is incredibly insightful. You can read it in one sitting but it will leave you with a train-load of things to think about once you are done.

Definitely strongly recommended

Rita Vo
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"People settle. They settle for less than they are capable of. They settle for good enough instead of best in the world."

Spending a few hours for this short awesome read could be one of the best thing you could ever do for yourself.
Kelly
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous. Succinct. Brilliant. Useful. Great, great book.
Rania Chokor
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, re-read

"A woodpecker can tap twenty times on a thousand trees and get nowhere, but stay busy. Or he can tap twenty-thousand times on one tree and get dinner.”
Kathy Nealen
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is very short. It promises to tell you when to quit and when to stick. It describes three scenarios: the cliff, the cul-de-sac and the dip. You should quit the cliff and the cul-de-sac; but, you should continue with the dip because eventually you get through the dip. The cliff is a promising rise with a disastrous drop-off. The cul-de-sac is long journey that ends in a dead end. So far, it all sounds like common sense. The problem is identifying exactly what scenario you are in. I coul ...more
Sayed Mahmood Alaali
It is not easy to decide to quit something. It is hard and most of the time people consider it as a failure. Why and when to quit, why and when to not quite.
This book help you to understand the difference between tactical and strategical quitting. The dip and why you need to quit or not quite at or before the dip.
FULL Creative Lib...: The Dip 1 4 Mar 05, 2014 01:18PM
The Personal MBA: Seth Godin's The Dip 4 45 Aug 23, 2011 06:44PM
Any curves 1 32 Jul 07, 2009 02:23PM

• Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything
  • Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks & Win Your Inner Creative Battles
  • The 4-Hour Workweek
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • What Got You Here Won't Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
  • Anything You Want
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO
“A woodpecker can tap twenty times on a thousand trees and get nowhere, but stay busy. Or he can tap twenty-thousand times on one tree and get dinner.” 34 likes
“The people who are the best in the world specialize at getting really good at the questions they don't know.” 26 likes