Start by marking “James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon” as Want to Read:
James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon

James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon

(James Bond (Dynamite Entertainment) #2)

James Bond is trapped in Los Angeles, under fire alongside another MI6 agent with a foreign intelligence service – or perhaps more than just one – trying to put them in body bags. Things may not be any safer in Britain, with bodies dropping and ghosts moving in the political mist…

Collecting issues #7-12 of the ongoing James Bond comic book series written by Warren Ellis, t
Published March 7th 2017 by Dynamite Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about James Bond, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Bond, Vol. 2

Start your review of James Bond, Vol. 2: Eidolon
Scott
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We should decide on sleeping arrangements. What side of the bed do you want?" -- James Bond

"Oh, you're very witty Mr. Bond. I'm quite certain I saw a sofa on the way over to his balcony." -- Cadence Birdwhistle

"You'll be terribly uncomfortable on it." -- Bond

Simply splendid! A solid and action-packed follow-up to Vol. 1: VARGR, Eidolon finally grants our 007 the usual romantic respite scene that was missing in that great debut. That would be courtesy of the wonderfully-named Cadence Birdwhistle
Matthew
2.5 to 3 stars

I am still having a hard time getting into this new Bond graphic novel series. I am glad the next few collections have different authors and artists, because Ellis and Masters really are not doing it for me.

The story itself was pretty good. I liked the action, the intrigue, and the resolution was fairly decent. However, as with the first collection, the snappy humor and suave nature of 007 felt silly and forced. Speaking of 007, he really seemed like more of a supporting character
Sam Quixote
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2017
Vast amounts of dirty money is being laundered through MI5 at the same time MI6 - Bond’s division - has been disarmed. Eidolon has infiltrated the highest levels of British intelligence. Eidolon: another word for ghost… or spectre...

Warren Ellis and Jason Masters’ James Bond series gets better with their second book, Eidolon!

The story features almost everything you’d expect from a Bond adventure: sex, guns, car chases, Q - though no fancy gadgets unfortunately. Ellis’ dialogue is as biting as e
Dave Schaafsma
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
An improvement on the also Warren Ellis-written and Jason Masters-drawn first volume, Vargr, because the story and dialogue are even better; it’s a better blend of original Bond world and modernization. The Bond in this graphic novel has more connections to the original novels than the movies—the action is grittier, more violent, there’s even a short torture scene (that is more Ellis than Bond, maybe). So, he’s Bond as blunt instrument but also smooth operator with the expected high-quality drin ...more
Chad
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first volume. While this felt more like Greg Rucka's Queen and Country series more than James Bond, it's still a great spy thriller. Ellis writes snappy, snarky dialogue and as always takes some shots at us Yanks. The art is action packed. That ending was brutal; classic literary Bond. There's not really a big, bad Bond villain here and that's OK. What we do get is a high octane, espionage book. Highly recommended.

Received an advance copy from Dynamite and NetGalley in excha
Darryl Walker
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EIDOLON is a James Bond tale with a title Fleming would've loved. It's a gritty story Fleming would've liked too, lots of characters take some serious lumps. Bond is depicted as Fleming's monochrome Eisenhower-era spy however his co-workers are from the new millennium movies; putting a slight twist in 007's milieu. This graphic novel is maximum art with minimal dialogue, but both mediums urge the story forward. Femme fatales and mayhem and everything in between is drawn realistically and well.

In
Sud666
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The new, really violent, Bond is back in volume two of Warren Ellis' wonderful take on James Bond.

Eidolon is the name of a project wherein MI-5 has been penetrated by SPECTRE operatives. Bond and MI-6 struggle to operate on English soil due to the Hard Rule (where English Foreign Intel Services may not carry weapons inside England) while trying to find the moles. More than that I will not say.

It is violent and fun. It has the basic elan of a Bond story. The artwork is also quite good and telegra
Craig
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now this is the book I was hoping for with Ellis' first outing, VARGR. Eidolon has a much better story--SPECTRE has been defeated, but it has left behind small, rogue cells in a number of the world's intelligence services, including MI5, the CIA, and the Turkish service, MIT. These cells have been discovered through the careful auditing of accounts by a British agent housed in the Turkish embassy in Los Angeles and in response, a kill team has been dispatched. Luckily, James Bond gets there just ...more
Robert
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Have Noticed That Without Gadgets and One-liners James Bond is Kind of a Sadistic Jerk...
Shelves: hoopla
Bond is very much Sir Psycho-Not-So-Sexy in this series.

And here's a guaranteed crowd pleaser: snooty Brit condescension toward 'Murica!

Finally, not even 007 can escape L.A. traffic, it seems. I guess that would be suspending disbelief a tad TOO far...
Joe
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The James Bond Franchise lends itself perfectly to the comic book medium:
1. Episodic adventures!
2. Larger than life villains!
3. Gadgets!
4. Sex!
5. Sexy Gadgets! (Okay, I made up this last one, but a boy can dream.

Great stuff!
Steve
I received this from Netgalley and Dynamite in exchange for an honest review.

Not much to say about this one. It's James Bond, with the typical twists and turns, surprise evil-doers, and him stopping them, violently. I did enjoy this one more than the first story arc, though.

The plotting is well-written, if somewhat sparse. You can't get as much detail into a comic as a movie or book, but there's enough here to keep the story moving forward.

I'm looking forward to the next arc, Hammerhead.
Derek Royal
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first volume in Dynamite’s James Bond series — composed of Vargr and Eidolon, and written by Warren Ellis — is truly engaging, setting the standard by which all of the folllowing Bond volumes measure themselves...or should be measured.
Alan
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think Ellis does a much better job story wise with his second Bond TPB. The story is much more to my taste, not that I have anything against Bond's tendencies to solve problems with violence more often than trade craft. The man is meant to be MI6's blunt instrument.

That doesn't mean a writer can't move the story forward in the canon. Ellis pulls from some of Fleming's work and creates a intelligence novel that fits more in the 21st century than the 1960s (which is where I think many spy novel
Frédéric
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,5*

There's something rotten inside MI5 and it's up to 007 to put an end to Spectre's nefarious schemes.

All-action plot where Bond lives up to his rep' and uses abundantly his license to kill.

It's a real pleasure to read Ellis' densely packed story. It would be as good with another operative but this particular operative being Bond enhances the experience.

Jason Marsters still uses some original storytelling and draws readable action scenes but his characters are still stiff and it diminishes gr
Timothy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
If this writer/artist pairing did James Bond comics forever, I would not be opposed to it. The action scenes are brutal and effective, easily one of the high points thanks in great deal to the artwork. The humor and espionage are also quite well-written: a great translation of what makes the 007 movies great while maintaining its own unique identity - much the same way each actor brings something different to the role.

This volume has a much stronger emphasis on the supporting cast. This isn't a
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Warren Ellis offers up another strong James Bond comic. The spycraft feels authentic and has a strong foundation, unlike the glossy, glammy movies. We get not just MI6, but MI5 as well. The characters are interesting, including several kick-ass female spies. The action sequences are beautifully scripted and beautifully executed. Overall, a fun Bond comic, so it's a shame this marks the end of Ellis' run and the beginning of a random assortment of disconnected authors. ...more
Christopher (Donut)
Sucked slightly less than volume one.
The art was total shark sandwich, iykwim.
I have to look up Master's contribution to Batman Incorporated, Volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted, because he does not look DC capable.
Darth
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I honestly truly think that Warren Ellis's James Bond is my absolute favorite James Bond and I really, really hope with all my heart they allow Ellis to pen the next film because I would die.

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART!

The artist also really likes drawing Bond with a lazy eye, just sayin'.
Shane Perry
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy these Bond comics, but I’m not sure the experience of reading them can replace the novels. That being said, I enjoyed Eidolon a lot more than Vargr. A great throwback to a legendary Bond villain and an interesting new story about the rivalry between Britain’s spy agencies.
Elliot Huxtable
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, bond
Very entertaining, brutal in places, funny in others.
Ayushman
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bond’s continued hyper-competence continues to impress. There’s also a shocking amount of violence. As usual, would like to see this series made into a movie.
Michael Mills
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Full disclosure: I was given a free ARC of this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

006 out of 10 (I couldn't give it 7 just to make the pun work).

Warren Ellis and Jason Masters nail two of the Bond staples: the action scenes (the rapid succession of panels burns through pages but gets across an impressive sense of speed and brutality) and the wit ("You're going to leave a loaded gun in a bin?" "It's America. I don't have time to give it to a child or a mentally ill person, so I'm
Andrew
Warren Ellis does his second James Bond book.

I guess I should start with a disclaimer: I've never been a fan of James Bond. I enjoyed Casino Royale, but the other movies I only watch for the bits of action. I have no intelligence for understanding spy-espionage thrillers. I'm always just lost and I have no idea what is going on most of the time. That being said, I do try on occasion. I enjoyed the first volume of this series because Warren Ellis did such a good job redefining the character of Bo
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first volume so was looking forward to this volume and was not disappointed. This Bond is both a current one and the classic one. This is the Bond die-hard fans love. He's a cold-blooded killer, a lady's man playboy with a sense of humour but damn serious about his work. This story brings back SPECTRE (in a way) involving rogue MI5 agents. Lots of car chases and shoot outs. A great story and great characters. ...more
Clark Hallman
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have been a big James Bond fan for many years and have enjoyed the character in movies, TV shows, novels, and now in graphic novels. In this graphic novel, Bond and another MI6 agent are under fire in Los Angeles and Britain.
Max
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second entry in the Dynamite Comics canon of JamesBond graphic novels, EIDOLON, May be an improvement on the first Ellis/Masters collaboration in that the story is actually somewhat appropriate to the series it resides within. However, Ellis once again can’t resist incorporating his signature grimdark edginess where it doesn’t belong, and the art has taken a serious nosedive since VARGR. Without delving too far into spoilers, the reintegration of a past Bond enemy came across as a desperate ...more
Alex Sarll
Rogue agents within multiple security services converge on a forensic accountant who's uncovered their network, and 007 has to protect her despite MI6 being disarmed within the UK. The balance of Bond-ness with real world espionage remains much more satisfactory than in the recent films, but the ultraviolence is rather compromised by that ridiculous old comics colouring convention of black blood rather than red.

(Netgalley ARC)
Fox
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really do love Warren Ellis's take on James Bond. While VARGR was a solid entry into the modern canon of Bond, Eidolon was a much stronger entry overall. We've stronger female characters, and Ms. Moneypenny finally gets to show her stuff. In addition we also have a strong continuation of the SPECTRE plots of the original Ian Fleming canon. This feels like a very natural extension of the stories, and even Mr. Leiter makes an entrance into the foray. Well done, Ellis. I wish you'd more than ...more
Pop Bop
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Classic Bond, But With An Updated Sensibility

This is Volume 2 of the Warren Ellis/Jason Masters interpretation of the James Bond canon. Volume 1 was titled "VARGR". It collected the first six issues of the comic book series and was a complete story. This volume 2 collects issues 7 through 12 and is, again, a complete stand-alone story. )(There is a third Volume set for release a few months after this one, but that set of episodes has a different writer.)

Here we have a tale of moles and double ag
Benjamin
This is marked as volume 2, meaning that it's the second volume of Warren Ellis writing for James Bond, and also points up the tension/ease of serializing an iconic hero, like James Bond.

That is, James Bond -- like Sherlock Holmes and Conan -- isn't a dramatic hero who gets changed by his adventures, but simply imposes himself on the world, again and again. So Robert E. Howard can write Conan stories out of order because the core of the character is separate from the character's history. ("Here
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Black Panther, Vol. 8: The Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda, Part Three
  • Batman, Volume 12: City of Bane, Part 1
  • Batman, Volume 13: City of Bane, Part 2
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 5: Wicked Worlds
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN, as well as the digital short-story single DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. His newest book is the novella NORMAL, from FSG Originals, listed as one of Amazon’s Best 100 Books Of 2016.

T

James Bond (Dynamite Entertainment) (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • James Bond, Vol. 1: VARGR